As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Fantastic Fucking Future

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    speaking of bullshit witchcraft, how long has this acronym business been possible?

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Eh, Dyson's are OK but mostly marketing. If you want a real vacuum, get a Miele. If you're going to trust a people with keeping things clean, would you trust English or Germans?
    I thought so.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    THEY ARE BULLSHIT WITCHCRAFT AND I WILL HAVE NO TRUCK WITH THEM.

Would you have coupe with them?

What about sedan?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Also, if you've never seen these and are baffled, they are called Air Multipliers, and actually shoot air through a little vent built into the whole ring, so the inner space is only used to draw in air from behind it, and has no actual need for blades to produce wind.

Also it's speed is determined by a little rotating knob that has no actual "Clicks" on it, so you have very fine control over the speed.

Basically it's a stupidly expensive fan that doesn't really do much that you couldn't get for a lot less money, but it's cool as fuck and it was a birthday gift from my Mom so I'm cool with it.

What happens if you throw a paper plane through it?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Also, if you've never seen these and are baffled, they are called Air Multipliers, and actually shoot air through a little vent built into the whole ring, so the inner space is only used to draw in air from behind it, and has no actual need for blades to produce wind.

Also it's speed is determined by a little rotating knob that has no actual "Clicks" on it, so you have very fine control over the speed.

Basically it's a stupidly expensive fan that doesn't really do much that you couldn't get for a lot less money, but it's cool as fuck and it was a birthday gift from my Mom so I'm cool with it.

Depends on how good your aim is.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular

It turns into a dove.

I know that sounds weird but it's scientifically justified in the manual.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WNcjkZ6d0w

ideally, something like this

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    That is literally the best possible use for those fans

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

Would you have coupe with them?

What about sedan?

No.

There shall be a cleansing fire, and then nothing.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

No, they work on the Bernoulli principle and venturi effect, just like a carburettor.

Also, the Hughes 530MD NOTAR prototype:

image014.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Eh, Dyson's are OK but mostly marketing. If you want a real vacuum, get a Miele. If you're going to trust a people with keeping things clean, would you trust English or Germans?
    I thought so.

Ha ha ha, you probably own a lot of BOSE products, don't you?

• Options

No, they work on the Bernoulli principle and venturi effect, just like a carburettor.

So...bullshit witchcraft?

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Everyone knows.

You want a real kick? You go Bernoulli.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Everyone knows.

You want a real kick? You go Bernoulli.

There's just no topping their converginators

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Every review I've seen of those fans is "weak as shit it's just a tiny fan in the base that blows up and out of the ring get a real fan"

Weaver on
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Every review I've seen of those fans is "weak as shit it's just a tiny fan in the base that blows up and out of the ring get a real fan"

The thing is, because of the venturi effect, you only need a little fan to blow a small amount of air out of the slot that is in the periphery of the big ring, and that does this thing where it creates a low-pressure area inside the ring, which pulls more air into it, which pulls more air into it ad infinitum until other forces come into play, like friction.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I thought so.

aren't they a pretty well-respected speaker manufacturer?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

but you'll never have choppy air or suffer yet another limb being sheared off by dangerous high speed fan blades! think about how much a difference a dyson could make in your life weaver

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Shorty wrote: »
    I thought so.

They make some nice, middle of the road products that they overcharge like crazy for. They're Sony, but they think they're Bang and Olufson. Much like Miele.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Bose headphones are basically Beats for people who shop at The Sharper Image.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ah, alright

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

but you'll never have choppy air or suffer yet another limb being sheared off by dangerous high speed fan blades! think about how much a difference a dyson could make in your life weaver

the best part is they are STILL CHOPPY

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Can they still kill you in your sleep?

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Yup

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    @tynic

Singing robots show humanity of technology in opera of the future

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHQnacjyzug
    Composer, computer scientist and futurist Tod Machover has joined the power of technology with one of the great classical art forms. In "Death and the Powers," opera robots take the stage to sing about the search for immortality and how our humanity is transformed by tech. Jeffrey Brown reports on the preparations taking place at the MIT Media Lab for an upcoming interactive performance.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I'm sorry but Death and the Powers should be the title of a robot metal album

Or maybe the name of the band

GREETINGS HUMANS
    THIS UNIT IS CALLED DEATH AND MY SUBORDINATE UNITS ARE COLLECTIVELY REFERRED TO AS THE POWERS

PLEASE PREPARE FOR THE REMOVAL OF YOUR FACES

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    To be fair, "in "Death and the Powers," opera robots take the stage to sing about the search for immortality and how our humanity is transformed by tech" could easily be in reference to a metal album. In fact, it sounds like the sort of metal I rather enjoy. Also the sort of opera I rather enjoy. Hey futureself, watch that youtube up there and let me know if we like it.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I thought so.

They make some nice, middle of the road products that they overcharge like crazy for. They're Sony, but they think they're Bang and Olufson. Much like Miele.

I've yet to see anything better than Miele, especially if you have highly allergic people in your house. Every Q&A I've seen with vacuum salesman/repairers and other puts Miele in the top 2 (at least their canisters, their uprights apparently aren't that great). It's not a Bose situation, as I had never heard of Miele before I started researching good vacuums for my allergy-suffering spouse.
    If you aren't particularly sensitive to environmental factors, there's probably a host of things that are "good enough", but we saw a serious quality of life improvement from getting the vac, and it's powerful enough that things that used to be dust->vacuum are now vac only.

PS - Bose, No highs, No Lows.

• Options
    There are allergy models of most popular brands with HEPA+ filters and such in them. When you get right down to the brass tacks though, of construction materials, motor mounting and bearings, impeller efficiency and bearing setup, and design and function of the tools and accessories, Miele aren't really any different from an Electrolux or LG bag cleaner.

• Options
    There are allergy models of most popular brands with HEPA+ filters and such in them. When you get right down to the brass tacks though, of construction materials, motor mounting and bearings, impeller efficiency and bearing setup, and design and function of the tools and accessories, Miele aren't really any different from an Electrolux or LG bag cleaner.

True, but they have slightly better filtering (better sealed design) and cost the same as electrolux's here.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    To be fair, "in "Death and the Powers," opera robots take the stage to sing about the search for immortality and how our humanity is transformed by tech" could easily be in reference to a metal album. In fact, it sounds like the sort of metal I rather enjoy. Also the sort of opera I rather enjoy. Hey futureself, watch that youtube up there and let me know if we like it.

Hey pastself. It's pretty neat, I think you'd find it interesting.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

I really hope that when it's my time, I go out by a fan falling on me in my sleep just so that millions of Koreans can scream, "See? SEE!?"

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    Apparently I had one too many drinks and posted this in the wrong thread. TAKE TWO:

Science tangent: I used to do a lot of work with filters, separators, etc., some years ago and one of the things that people advertising HEPA (outside the industrial/government world) won't typically tell you is that there's no time-based performance requirement on a HEPA filter. That is, you can build a filter that meets particle size requirements and airflow at a pressure drop... that lasts all of a minute at those performance levels. Cheap products advertising a HEPA filter feature are usually using incredibly undersized filters and/or pre-filtration schemes. You'll get your great and efficient filtration for a couplefew uses and then the filter is clogged and you start getting either crappy performance (very reduced airflow) or filtration bypass (a lot of air going by the filter by designed media damage or through alternate passages).

TLDR: "HEPA" mostly doesn't mean crap on consumer products. Quality design is still king.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Archaeologists discovered fossil footprints in the UK recently thought to be nearly a million years old. The oldest such prints in the UK known before were only 7,500, and these are the oldest footprints discovered outside of Africa.

I know this is the past not the future but I thought it was cool and if time is cyclical it still kind of fits.

• Options
    Archaeologists discovered fossil footprints in the UK recently thought to be nearly a million years old. The oldest such prints in the UK known before were only 7,500, and these are the oldest footprints discovered outside of Africa.

I know this is the past not the future but I thought it was cool and if time is cyclical it still kind of fits.

Whatever you do, stop scrolling the second the article ends, don't read the comments, .. just don't, I scrolled too far and now my soul hurts

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I can't see comments on the mobile page and now I'm curious. Young earthers?

• Options
    Ya you'd think this was posted directly on a creationist forum or something, holy man.

• Options
    I can't see comments on the mobile page and now I'm curious. Young earthers?

A belated valentine gift for you, my dear T-Rex, a selection of the comments.
    rcbouch 5 days ago
    800,000 years ago...the last time somebody willingly travelled to Norfolk.

Larkspur 6 days ago
    Those dreadful migrants, flooding into our country for a million years. If only the Border Agency had been there to keep them out!

Claus-Erik Hamle 6 days ago
    My surgeon in Tuluá in Colombia suggested that we originally arrived here as few survivors from both places following all-out war Moon-Mars. But we don't really know, do we ? In youtube there are many videos indicating former civilizations on the Moon and Mars. You can't show a movie on Charles Darwin in the USA, only in Canada. In the USA Charles Darwin is the Antichrist ! You know, half of the Americans believe God made us from earth 6,000 years ago!

stan gore 6 days ago
    This is no mystery to any one who understands the Bible. Those of you in Britain, Jesus walked in Glastonbury. Do you knot know your own history? The throne of David is in London. Your Royal family is the House of David.To be ignorant is one thing, but to stay that way is another. Anyone who wants to know the truth I will tell you where to find it, if you ask.

koe 7 days ago
    "We know with absolute certainty the very day that our Lord created the Earth; Sunday, 23 October 4004 BC."

Even though this date is never mentioned in the bible, this is the absolute truth! The universe was created at 23 October 4004 BC 12.32 pm (God had a lie in).

Those who say the universe was created 13.7bn years ago are Satanists.

Leslie Graham 7 days ago
    Just the latest pathetic blasphemous nonsense from desperate and deluded Darwinians.
    We know with absolute certainty the very day that our Lord created the Earth; Sunday, 23 October 4004 BC.
    These blashemers are either simply lying again or God put these footprints there to test our faith.
    And many here have been found wanting.
    You need to find the truth in Jesus and abandon all of these lies of Satan or you will never find true happiness and will burn in Hell.

Martin Hanson 7 days ago
    For Heaven's sake! What does the 'of' mean in 'outside of Africa'? Is the UK now the 51st State of the USA? The Independent cannot claim to be a quality newspaper if it descends to these mononic americanisms.

life is a real burden 8 days ago
    Is this a hoax How can the tide wash away the evidence if it has been there for going on a million years?