As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shane [Chat]

ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
http://youtu.be/zdd07SDHv5Q

If you asked me to pick the definitive classic western, it would be Shane. It's the film where all of the trappings of the genre come together in a single place. Our hero wears a whitish hat. Our villain wears a black one. We have the beautiful vista of the West and the sound of spurs on wood. We have the reluctant gunfighter knight and the homesteaders. We have the conflict of the culture of civilization, and the culture of the frontier. The man so steeped in violence that he can never really escape it. All of these things come together in a single film that Stevens handles masterfully.

tumblr_l7q2i8pga81qb1jyuo1_400.jpg

Shane opens with a beautiful shot of our title character riding into a valley where the Starretts, among others, are making their homestead. We see him through the eyes of young Joey, who spots him while pretending to draw a bead on a dear. In a single long scene, we see both the external conflict of the ranchers verses the homesteaders and the inner conflict within Shane. As he approaches Shane is greeted warmly by the Starrets, but the trauma within Shane becomes clear as he reacts to the sound of Joey working the action of his rifle as he plays. The practiced, rapid draw makes it clear he is no stranger to violence, and the look of shame on his face as he realizes what he has done shows us he isn't so far gone as to be a monster. Riker and his men want to drive the homesteaders off the land so he can use it to expand his cattle range. Starrett and the homesteaders want to build up their small farms for their family.

As the film progresses we see Shane settle into life with the Starretts as a hired hand. We watch him through the eyes of Joey, seeing him become part of a family that he can never truly have. The joy in the physical labor of building a farm, the comradeship he develops Joe Starrett and the suppressed love he feels for Marion. Mean while the conflict between the homesteaders and Riker continues to build up. Jack Wilson is hired to provoke and kill the homesteaders, and we see him in contrast to Shane. Whereas Shane is a reluctant warrior, Wilson is a killer, a man who enjoys ending a life. When he confronts Torey we watch Wilson bait the man, provoke him in to drawing his pistol. Then making it clear that Torey is in over his head. And as Torey backs down Wilson shoots him dead.

JP-22.jpg

All of this builds up to the climax, as Shane confronts Riker and Wilson, killing Riker, Wilson and his men. But he's wounded. And it's clear to him that there is no escape from the violence he's soaked himself in. So he tells Joey, "There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley." and rides off into the distance to die.

This theme of a man caught in a cycle of violence is one that exploded in the post-war westerns, and Shane perhaps embodies it the most starkly. It was a metaphor for those men who had come back from the war and had trouble readjusting to peacetime. Those men with emotional trauma and PTSD that found they simply couldn't end the war for themselves. Nor could they talk about what they were going through at home. And in that context Shane's ending is even more bittersweet, with it's message that the cycle doesn't end until death, but that the suffering has meaning. That it was for a greater good, and that some hope and happiness should be taken from that. Stevens spent the war doing film work for the military. This includes filming D-Day, the Duben labor camp and Dachau. His film would be used as evidence in the Nuremberg trials. After the war, his films became more serious.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    hm

poo
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I HAVE NOTHING PREPARED

3044836091_459c3b54f0_o.jpg

kids-at-pool.jpg

file_27.jpg

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I anoint this chat

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    weird

my bro bought a laptop in japan with a japanese keyboard layout

but the bios is in english

and my windows usb installer that i've used in another computer appears in japanese

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I anoint this chat

*gurgles*

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Oh hi my name is jacobkosh I post in chat threads that have been closed

CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Jacob, that game sounds really interesting, but I've never seen a group that could pull it off

but i mean my group can barely make it three minutes without exploding into a series of dick jokes and horrible puns and then shotgunning a beer

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    boobs

and for those who want it, pensi

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    Least favorite [horror movie villain] is Freddy Krueger. What a hack!
    Kane Hodder takes his machete out in singles bars at Comic Con looking for some anime love in all the wrong places

• Options
    But also that sounds cool and weird

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @surrealitycheck Blake's 7????????

??????!??!?!?!?!???!?!

?????!?!??!?!

• Options
    you deleted my chat instead of locking it?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

• Options
    WHAT KIND OF DOO DOO VOODOO

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    do u see jacob

do u see

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    ain't gonna lie, nervous about tomorrow

a shitton of driving, days on end

moving out of my parents' house at long last, most of the way across the country

• Options
    @skippydumptruck

The Philippines provides more seafarers to the global labor market than any other country in the world, accounting for approximately a fifth of 1.2 million maritime workers. The number of Filipinos currently living on vessels is roughly 240,000. It's as if every person in the entire city of Orlando woke up, drove to Miami, and signed contracts to ship out on cruiseliners.

Whoa

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @surrealitycheck Blake's 7????????

??????!??!?!?!?!???!?!

?????!?!??!?!

Before you get your hopes up...this is the project that Syfi was going to bankroll and then dropped.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Martin Campbell is apparently on the hook to direct the pilot episode of Blake's 7. Aside from pleasing maybe a couple of thousand middle aged nerds in the UK I can't imagine whose dander is being got up by this news.

Then again, if you're going to remake something, remake something shit. Like they did with BSG.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    wow cold blooded.

Skippy chat purged from our histories. Nothing remains to mark its existence.

• Options
    microsoft secret weapon

soon they commission another series of sapphire and steel

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I've never played a tabletop rpg. I'd have fun, I think.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    fffff

i am going to get ice cream

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    There never was a skippy[chat]

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I'm back from Poland!

I was greeted home by a call from the SPCA telling me my dog was found wandering around a main road miles away from the kennels i booked him into

:I

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    AGGGGGGGGHHHHH I AM FREAKING OUT ABOUT MOVING

• Options
    Skippy, I didn't have anything prepped either. So I reused my review of Shane.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    microsoft secret weapon

Hawk the Slayer series.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    omg

have you guys seen GTA V's multiplayer?

• Options
    Jacob, that game sounds really interesting, but I've never seen a group that could pull it off

but i mean my group can barely make it three minutes without exploding into a series of dick jokes and horrible puns and then shotgunning a beer

smug.gif

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Hmm, Society6 has too many designs to choose from --

wow many arts
    such select
    so little productive

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    There never was a skippy[chat]. We've always been at war with Eurasia

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    microsoft secret weapon

Hawk the Slayer series.

new ladyhawke only alan parsons plays all the characters

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

dude I am definitely coming around to the opinion that these more exotic games might be better in IRC than in person. Being able to compose exactly what you say before you say it, and also not be held back by your ability/lack thereof to do silly voices, is a huge boon. It becomes a bit more of an exercise in authorship. Characters in my games have boned NPC characters, for instance, or each other (Elldren and desc's mages had a tryst recently, for instance) and I feel that where some of that stuff would feel weird at the table, in a text medium it's just...the story.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

I would imagine you'd be better suited to running the game and creating a bizarre phantasmagoric surreality backed by a custom-made nightmarish soundtrack, leaving everyone ultimately dissatisfied and somewhat unsettled

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Martin Campbell is apparently on the hook to direct the pilot episode of Blake's 7. Aside from pleasing maybe a couple of thousand middle aged nerds in the UK I can't imagine whose dander is being got up by this news.

Then again, if you're going to remake something, remake something shit. Like they did with BSG.

True. They can re-use the title and basic premise and try to make something interesting. It'll be a fun challenge.

It can be a tense political drama.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Hey [chat] what sort of ice cream should I get?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

I would imagine you'd be better suited to running the game and creating a bizarre phantasmagoric surreality backed by a custom-made nightmarish soundtrack, leaving everyone ultimately dissatisfied and somewhat unsettled

yes

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

So a game of Changeling: The Lost?

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Oh my God seriously why is this week zooming by it's already Thursday whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    I'm back from Poland!

I was greeted home by a call from the SPCA telling me my dog was found wandering around a main road miles away from the kennels i booked him into

:I

Jeez. Is the dog ok?

This discussion has been closed.