As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please help me explain to FIL why his lottery picking strategy is no better than random.

DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
Not that I think any strategy is better than random selection. Also, this is not homework. I haven't had to do homework in more than a decade. FIL has been bugging the shit out of me about this and I just don't want to hear it anymore.

The lottery game is to pick 5 (non-replacement) out of 36. Odds of 5 of 5 are 1 out of 376992.

His strategy is to make sure to buy a card that has each number represented, so 8 tickets, e.g.:

The order of the numbers don't matter, you need 8 to get all 36 represented. I told him that he has guaranteed 100% to have on his card a pick that will have the 1st number drawn, but that's it. His odds are still 8 out of 376992 or 1 out of 47124.

Problem is when I try to math it out I get even lower odds: 1 out of 35!/4! or 1 out of 52360. So all I have managed to math out is if you get the 1st number in pick 5 of 36, then the resultant chances are better than a pick 4 (non-replacement) of 35.

Weird thing is 52360 - 47124 = 5236, or exactly 10% of 52360, which is a real head-scratcher for me.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    @Goumindog

@Paladin

@Phyphor

Your friend's odds are going to be low, no matter how you slice it, unless he buy so many tickets that the payout from the lottery probably won't be worthwhile. Buying 7 extra tickets is simply a waste of money.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Since order doesn't matter, you want the combination formula, not permutation, so 36 choose 5 is 36!/(31! * 5!) which is precisely 376992 ((32*33*34*35*36)/(2*3*4*5))

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Another way to look at it is this:

You have a 5/36 chance of picking any number that is chosen. Assuming you do that, you then have a 4/35 chance of picking the next, and so on (3/34, 2/32, 1/31). Multiply those together and you happen to get 1/376992

To figure out how much you actually expect to win you need the expected value - you calculate the probability that any random ticket gives each possible award, times the award amount, them sum them all up and compare it to the cost of the initial ticket. There are a few cases where the EV is positive (you can actually expect to make money) - but it's rare. It's also risky, because while you are guaranteed to hit the jackpot and win if you buy every ticket, because tickets are not limited (presumably) you run the risk of spending a ton of money covering everything and have some random person guess it and then have to share the jackpot

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Numbers, and the people who can manipulate and understand numbers, frighten me on a deep level.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    All I've taken is rudimentary probability math classes and am wondering if one could quantify the effect of buying specific sequences on each card as, in my mind at least, picking 1-6, 7-12, etc would reduce the likelihood of winning. Am I just adding my own mistaken perception here?

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    MrDelish wrote: »
    All I've taken is rudimentary probability math classes and am wondering if one could quantify the effect of buying specific sequences on each card as, in my mind at least, picking 1-6, 7-12, etc would reduce the likelihood of winning. Am I just adding my own mistaken perception here?

If the ball selection is truly random, then no single ticket has any higher chance of winning than any other ticket.

{1,2,3,4,5} has exactly the same probability as {13,6,27,29,2}.

Humans instinctively perceive numbers with no discernible pattern as more random, but that perception can be wrong.

Another way to look at it: FIL's strategy is to cover as many possibilities as possible. There are 376,992 possibilities in this game, which means he needs to buy 376,992 unique tickets to break even. If the jackpot is less than $376,992, then the most likely outcome from any strategy will be to lose money.

This does not take into account secondary prizes (for example: win $5 if you match 3 balls) but in most real-world lottery games the payouts from such secondary prizes are so small as to be negligible.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    We are in agreement that the chance of a single ticket hitting 5/5 non-replacement out of 36 numbers is 1/376992.

Where we diverge is he thinks his 8 ticket strategy (where across the tickets he has all 36 numbers included) gives him the some significant edge (cause now "you only need to be lucky 4 times" which to me sounds absurd) while I'm thinking it would be the same as picking 8 sets of 5 numbers at random* (1/47124). I just cannot figure out the math to show him.

It is not that he is playing sequential numbers (not that it would matter if he did). But that amongst his 40 numbers (8 picks of 5) he has 1-36 represented.

To be clear, he is not planning on buying every permutation, just 8, so he has 1-36 somewhere in his picks. EV is going to be hard to calculate cause payout is not fixed (estimated $200K, but it depends on number of tickets sold, and there is a roll-down payout if no one hits 5/5), there are secondary prizes 2-4/5, and there is possibility of grand prize being split in case there are multiple 5/5 winners. So eventhough i think he understands the basic gist of EV I'm not even going to try to calculate it. I would however like to be able to show him that his 8 pick strategy is no better than 8 random picks.

*Random: I am making the assumption that quick pick will not pick the same 5 numbers several times but in a different sequence should he buy 8 quick picks.

• Options
    Djeet wrote: »
    We are in agreement that the chance of a single ticket hitting 5/5 non-replacement out of 36 numbers is 1/376992.

Where we diverge is he thinks his 8 ticket strategy (where across the tickets he has all 36 numbers included) gives him the some significant edge (cause now "you only need to be lucky 4 times" which to me sounds absurd) while I'm thinking it would be the same as picking 8 sets of 5 numbers at random* (1/47124). I just cannot figure out the math to show him.

It is not that he is playing sequential numbers (not that it would matter if he did). But that amongst his 40 numbers (8 picks of 5) he has 1-36 represented.

To be clear, he is not planning on buying every permutation, just 8, so he has 1-36 somewhere in his picks. EV is going to be hard to calculate cause payout is not fixed (estimated $200K, but it depends on number of tickets sold, and there is a roll-down payout if no one hits 5/5), there are secondary prizes 2-4/5, and there is possibility of grand prize being split in case there are multiple 5/5 winners. So eventhough i think he understands the basic gist of EV I'm not even going to try to calculate it. I would however like to be able to show him that his 8 pick strategy is no better than 8 random picks.

*Random: I am making the assumption that quick pick will not pick the same 5 numbers several times but in a different sequence should he buy 8 quick picks.

If your friend's magical lottery system is supposed to win him lottery jackpots, one might ask why it hasn't actually won him any jackpots yet. There can be deep maths involved in the exploration of that question, but there doesn't need to be any deep maths involved in having the question asked (assuming the premise - that it hasn't won him any jackpots - is true). If you have a proposed system that works in theory but doesn't work when applied to real situations, that's a pretty good indicator that something may be wrong with your theory.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

"You only need to be lucky four times" is gibberish.

He seems to think that his 8 picks are special in some way. They are not.

All combinations are equally likely. This means that the combinations

are no more likely the combinations

or any other unique set of 8 combinations.

Another way to look at it: if you map out all 376992 combinations... how many times do his combinations appear?

His combinations appear exactly once each. Just like any other combination.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    does this help visualize it a bit better? i'm no numbers guru but it seems obvious: he's assuring himself that he only ends up with one (maybe two) tickets that could win, whereas random picks would variously still be in the running after his first number is drawn. here's how i see it, without too much nuance to the interaction of redundant numbers:

Capture_zps395753d0.png

it's an interesting brainteaser - please someone correct me if this is way off!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Sure, if he plays those 8 he has it covered and now has a chance of 1/47124... however his cash outlay is now 8x that, with the same expectation of winnings, so the EV (of each ticket in the set) is reduced to (1/47124)/8 or 1/376992... look familiar?

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Actually: explain it to him with coin flips - make him bet on a pair of coin flips (HH, HT, TH, TT, in this case sequence matters), payout 3:1 on winnings (EV zero: 3/4 times you lose $1, 1/4 you make $3, EV=3/4-3/4=0)

Then let him cover the spread by making two bets (H? and T?) - he now wins 50% of the time but has an EV of:
    3*(1/2) (50% chance of winning 3) - 1*(1/2) (50% chance of losing 1) - 1 (the branch we didn't take which he always loses) = 0

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    The intuitive explanation for what he's missing is that, by ensuring he has at least one ticket with the first number on it, he has also ensured that he has only one ticket with the first number on it. He'll still be in the game when the second number is drawn, but the first number drawn is guaranteed* to knock out all but one of his tickets. In the end it's a wash, and the math behind why has already been posted.

*Technically the last ticket repeats a few of the first ticket's numbers, but it's not really relevant overall (or intended, from what I gather of his scheme).

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    playing around i figured that with an 11% chance of 1, 2, 3, or 4 coming up and the player having 2 tickets with at least one number correct, the total chance of his system winning is 0.002334% - within 0.000005% of eight totally random tickets, and coincidentally within my margin of error for sloppy science.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    So, the numbers have already been worked out (correctly) and show that - assuming the balls truly are chosen at random - any combination of numbers is equally likely to be chosen. Thus, there is no 'system' of picking numbers that improves or changes the odds in that aspect.

Now, there is a possibility that the balls aren't chosen at random. The drum may not truly randomize them, and allow the initial order to impact which balls are chosen. The balls may not be uniform in weight or size, causing certain numbers to be more or less likely to be drawn. Unfortunately, it's HIGHLY unlikely that - without active tampering - any of those factors will be sufficient to significantly change the odds of any particular sequence. Additionally, it's unlikely that any lottery will do enough draws under the same conditions that someone could discern a pattern to capitalize on.

That leaves betting strategy. Any game with fixed prizes is going to be a loss - unless the lottery fucks up bad in calculating odds and prizes, you're never going to be able to beat the odds on a Pick-3 or Pick-4, etc. You may win, but it's just gambling - in the long term, the odds are always against you.

The only place where you can POTENTIALLY beat the system is a game like the Powerball or Mega Millions, where the jackpot is not fixed and is based on the buy-in. In theory, the jackpot could get high enough that - even with taxes taken into consideration - the overall odds could be in favor of the gambler. This would be a situation where buying 'every ticket' would cost less than you win in the grand prize.

However, because jackpots are split, there is a significant risk that you buy 'every ticket' and the winning ticket is split two, three, or more ways. Realistically, with that taken into consideration, no betting strategy is likely to push the odds in your favor.

I also want to note that while it doesn't matter on a 'fixed prize' lottery, your FIL's choice of tickets is exceptionally bad for something like the Powerball or Mega Millions. While the odds of any particular set of numbers - even an ordered sequence like 1-2-3-4-5-6 (7 Mega) are the same, a common sequence like 1-2-3-4-5-6 (7 Mega) is far more likely to be chosen by other people. That means even if you hit the big jackpot, you could end up splitting it with dozens or hundreds of people, and your $400,000,000 jackpot could 'just' be a few hundred thousand.

TL,DR: The system is rigged, you can't beat it. There's a reason people call the lottery a tax on people who are bad at math.

• Options
    mumbly_piemumbly_pie Registered User regular
    As people have mentioned, your FIL's strategy has the same expected return as picking random numbers independently 8 times (assuming the lottery itself isn't somehow broken). However, the strategy does have one property that is quite different - he has increased the probability of winning at least one ticket, at the cost of making sure that he can't win with two or more tickets. In the language of probability classes, he has made sure that the tickets winnings are negatively correlated.

This phenomenon is easier to see if we look at the lottery where the player has to pick a single number from 1 to 4, and wins if his number is drawn. If you bought the four tickets 1,2,3,4, you would always win exactly once. If you bought 4 tickets at random, you would win once on average. However, you would have a (3/4)^4 ~ 31% chance of not winning at all, as well as about a 21% chance of winning exactly twice, a 5% chance of winning exactly3 times and a 0.4% chance of winning all 4 times. The expected values are the same, but the distributions are quite different. Your FIL might want to maximize his chance of winning at least once, and his strategy does exactly that (as do many other strategies).

Its worth pointing out that the differences in my made-up example are much more extreme than in your original example - practically, the difference is tiny.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The only sure way to win the lottery ( if a 49 number , 6 pick system) is to buy 13,983,816 tickets. Because that is the amount of possible combinations

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    And then you have to find the ticket that actually won...

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Just because he hasn't won doesn't mean the methodology doesn't have a statistical edge over random. The odds can be big (e.g. 1/5000) but still be better than the random 1/47124.

When I try to say something to the effect of "you have 8 non-repeating picks, your chances are still 8/376992 or the same as 8 quickpicks" but my math doesn't support it.

Now lets say on draw night 10 is the first ball picked. My intuition is that the maths should then be the same as a pick 4 (non-replacement) of 35, or (4/35)*(3/34)*(2/33)*(1/32), or 1/52360. Which is actually less likely than 8 random (1/47124). Shouldn't it be the same? I'm sure I'm missing something very basic, but why doesn't it add up?

Or another way to state the question, assuming I have a ticket and the first number drawn is represented on my ticket, what are the odds that the 4 remaining numbers on my ticket will be picked from the 35 balls?

Edit: Now that I think about it the point CycloneRanger and mumbly_pie bring up makes sense, and I can see how it could be the reason my math is off. If it were 8 quickpicks there is some probability that the first ball will be represented more than once, and thus he has more than one shot. While his strategy almost ensures the 1st ball will only be represented once across his picks. I will see if this explanation goes anywhere with him.

Djeet on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I think you're thinking of the first number as some kind of special gateway, where if you have that number covered then you're in the clear and can move onto the next test.

Imagine if instead of having any ties to numbers, the lottery has 376,992 different colored marbles. One particular color variation will be selected, and if that's the one you chose, you win.

By making a special attachment to the first number, your father-in-law is arbitrarily separating the 376,992 marbles into 36 piles, and then choosing one marble from each pile. When the lottery guy says "the winning marble is in this pile!" it doesn't mean that you somehow have a better chance of winning than if all the marbles had been kept in one big pile.

Or wait, here's another way to look at it.

Let's say you have a lottery with 376,992 possible choices, but instead of the first digit always being a choice of numbers 1-36, it varies day by day. One Monday the first digit can only be the numbers 1-5, and Tuesday the first digit can be numbers 1-50. There are always 376,992 choices, though, it's just that the variation of the rest of the digits also goes up in down depending on what they did with the 1st digit that day.

With your FIL's strategy, on Monday he would feel he only had to buy 5 tickets to be "covered" on his first digit strategy, but on Tuesday he would have to buy 50 tickets to be "covered." But really, he is just giving himself a 5 in 376,992 chance to win on Monday, and a 50 in 376,992 chance to win on Tuesday, just as with his real-life strategy he is giving himself an 8 in 376,992 chance to win every single time, same as if he just chose 8 tickets at random.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    The bottom line of this whole entire equation is that there is no possible mathematical way at all, no matter which numbers you pick, to make any group of 8 choices any more or less likely than any other group of 8 choices, so long as the 8 choices to not repeat.

The best way to explain stats or probability to someone without a deep understanding of them is to increase or decrease the scale a ton. For instance, the old problem of choosing one of three doors, and it being beneficial to switch after is more easily explained when you increase the number of doors from 3 to a million.

In this case a good way to explain it would be, instead of the numbers being from 1 to 32, what if they were from 1-4 and you only picked 2? Your tickets would be

The total number of combinations is 6, and they are:
    1,2 1,3 1,4
    2,3 2,4

You have a 2/6, or 33% chance to pick a correct one by randomly choosing 2 of any combinations.

If we ignore the first pick, because "now you only have to get lucky once," that means now we only have one number left, and there are only three choices. One in 3 is 33%.

Rend on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Now lets say on draw night 10 is the first ball picked. My intuition is that the maths should then be the same as a pick 4 (non-replacement) of 35, or (4/35)*(3/34)*(2/33)*(1/32), or 1/52360. Which is actually less likely than 8 random (1/47124). Shouldn't it be the same? I'm sure I'm missing something very basic, but why doesn't it add up?

Or another way to state the question, assuming I have a ticket and the first number drawn is represented on my ticket, what are the odds that the 4 remaining numbers on my ticket will be picked from the 35 balls?

Pick 4 of 35 is less likely than pick 5 of 36 times 8. Your math isn't wrong but the probability of each is different.

• Options
    Well, it works out because there's a 4/36 chance of entering round 2 with 2 tickets instead of one, but it doesn't alter the odds

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I'm still confused as to the rules for this lotto, based on the OP. This is what I gathered:

1) Each lotto ticket consists of 5 numbers
    2) The 5 numbers each range from between 1 to 36
    3) Numbers never repeat - each number can only be used once
    4) The order of the numbers do not matter (e.g., "1,2,3,4,5" and "5,4,3,2,1" are the exact same ticket)
    5) The "winning" lotto ticket is a single set of 5 numbers

Is this correct? I feel like some of these aren't actually lotto rules but are the FIL's rules for picking numbers?

• Options
    @Inquisitor77 those are the rules of the game being played. The game is Fantasy 5 in Florida. It isn't a progressive grand prize jackpot like mega millions or powerball.

Anyways this can be closed.

I've gotten as far with him as I think I can. He thinks that having the 1st ball being represented in his 8 ticket card gives him some kind of advantage. And he thinks anyone who would do 8 quick picks and just get a probability of 0-8 of the tickets having the the 1st ball is somehow gambling more than he is. He's got this attachment to the 1st ball that I cannot disabuse him of.

Personally I wouldn't play this particular game anyways. I sometimes throw a fiver or something into one of the big multi-state progressive jackpot lottos when it gets big, but I don't play a strategy or anything.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Silly phone.

Anyway, don't spend more than a few minutes trying to explain to someone why their gambling system is wrong / won't work. If you can't get some traction in unseating their beliefs in a few minutes, it's probably a lost cause and will only build animosity.

If nothing else, his odds with those sets of numbers are no different than the odds of any other numbers - so his irrational belief those are the 'best' numbers is no different than anyone else who gambles a particular set of numbers.

Basically, as long as they aren't going to blow their life savings / mortgage their house / empty their 401k (which is intervention point regardless of their system or not) let them have their fun. Just keep an eye on them to make sure they don't sink into a gambling addiction. $10 in lotto tickets every few days isn't like someone who CAN'T LOSE using the Martingale System at the local casino and starts betting more and more.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Never argue with relatives over trivia. Unless he is spending more than he can afford on the lottery, it is immaterial why he is wrong, and he probably couldn't understand the relevant maths anyway.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    @Inquisitor77 those are the rules of the game being played. The game is Fantasy 5 in Florida. It isn't a progressive grand prize jackpot like mega millions or powerball.

Anyways this can be closed.

I've gotten as far with him as I think I can. He thinks that having the 1st ball being represented in his 8 ticket card gives him some kind of advantage. And he thinks anyone who would do 8 quick picks and just get a probability of 0-8 of the tickets having the the 1st ball is somehow gambling more than he is. He's got this attachment to the 1st ball that I cannot disabuse him of.

Personally I wouldn't play this particular game anyways. I sometimes throw a fiver or something into one of the big multi-state progressive jackpot lottos when it gets big, but I don't play a strategy or anything.

It's probably the combination of the idea that "the order doesn't matter" and "I'm putting all the numbers across all the tickets" that is causing the gap in your FIL's reasoning. Since he doesn't seem to have a big math background, short of literally showing him, in a giant spreadsheet, all the possible winning numbers (organized into "equivalent sets"), comparing the numbers he chooses against the other possibilities, and then showing that the chances are exactly the same, you will probably never disavow him of this belief. And that assumes that he is open to the idea that he might be wrong, which most people aren't (it's a fact of human cognition, unfortunately). He could be pretending to listen to you the entire time while not actually listening, and that will only serve to antagonize the issue.

Since he's your FIL I think you have the right idea in just letting it go and moving on. There are plenty of things that I'm sure both you and he are "wrong" about, and if your relationship consists of just proving how irrational the other person is, that's a flame war that neither of you will win.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

This is not correct. Absence of evidence is not conclusive proof of absence, but it is indeed one piece of evidence that points to absence - and if that's the only evidence kicking around, chances are that it's pointing you in the right direction.

As a side note, I really do not recommend tossing that phrase around. It's mostly used by people that espouse belief in crackpot theories (as well as the occasional salty old Worthless Degree of Choice professor).

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    It's an adequate summation of his response as to why he hasn't won with this strategy. He's played this maybe half a dozen times.

Anyways I actually like the statement. It turns it back on whomever it is directed to use more powerful evidence/reasoning, which is only a good thing.

• Options
    Not to derail too much but honestly it really is kind of a goosey thing to say. As a statement of logic, it is almost as meaningless as something like, "Being unable to see pots does not mean that pots do not exist." Replace "pots" with anything, and in a vague sense, that's true regardless of whether or not the "anything" actually exists (i.e., replace pots with unicorns, and the statement holds both the same truth value and the same "insight"). But if you are arguing from an epistemological standpoint, then the absence of proof of pots is clearly meaningful as to the existence of pots.

And, as @The Ender alluded to, generally this statement is only used as a last resort by proponents who cannot in good faith provide affirmative evidence as to their propositions (that's a really fancy way of saying it's a hand-wavy cop-out to absolve yourself of having to actually prove what you are saying). As in, "I believe that the flying spaghetti monster exists!", "No one has ever seen the FSM", "Well just because you can't prove it isn't there doesn't mean it's not there!"

My 5th Grade teacher used to tell this horribad joke:

"What's an elephant's favorite place to hide?"
    "I don't know."
    "A tree!"
    "What do you mean, a tree?"
    "Have you ever seen an elephant in a tree?"

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    It's an adequate summation of his response as to why he hasn't won with this strategy. He's played this maybe half a dozen times.
    He does have a valid point about small sample sizes, so I went ahead and played it a million times. The results:

1000000 drawings with 8 tickets for each strategy per drawing, for a total of 16000000 total tickets.

Number of times a ticket had N matching values while using his strategy:
    0 matching numbers: 3605766
    1 matching numbers: 3337379
    2 matching numbers: 954800
    3 matching numbers: 98831
    4 matching numbers: 3211
    5 matching numbers: 13

Number of times a ticket had N matching values while picking tickets randomly:
    0 matching numbers: 3605016
    1 matching numbers: 3339158
    2 matching numbers: 954182
    3 matching numbers: 98283
    4 matching numbers: 3337
    5 matching numbers: 24

The ruby code:
    require 'rubygems'
    require "backports/1.9.2/array/rotate"

num_drawings = 1_000_000
    possible_numbers = 36
    numbers_per_ticket = 5
    tickets_per_drawing = (possible_numbers.to_f/numbers_per_ticket).ceil

def get_random_numbers_no_replacement(num_values, range)
    	picked_numbers = []
    	unpicked_numbers = *range
    	1.upto(num_values) do |x|
    		picked_numbers.push(unpicked_numbers.rotate!(rand(unpicked_numbers.size))[0])
    		unpicked_numbers = unpicked_numbers.drop(1)
    	end
    	picked_numbers
    end

strategy_tickets = []
    0.upto(tickets_per_drawing-1) do |ticket_num|
    	ticket = []
    	0.upto(numbers_per_ticket - 1) do |offset|
    		ticket.push(1 + (numbers_per_ticket*ticket_num + offset)%possible_numbers) # "1 +" to shift tickets from 0-35 to 1-36
    	end
    	strategy_tickets.push(ticket)
    end

drawing_histogram = Array.new(possible_numbers, 0)
    random_histogram = Array.new(possible_numbers, 0)
    strategy_winning_tickets = Array.new(numbers_per_ticket + 1, 0)
    random_winning_tickets = Array.new(numbers_per_ticket + 1, 0)
    num_drawings.times do
    	drawing = get_random_numbers_no_replacement(numbers_per_ticket, 1..possible_numbers)
    	drawing.each do |x|
    		drawing_histogram[x-1] += 1
    	end
    	1.upto(tickets_per_drawing) do |x|
    		strategy_winning_tickets[(drawing & strategy_tickets[x-1]).size] += 1
    		random_ticket = get_random_numbers_no_replacement(numbers_per_ticket, 1..possible_numbers)
    		random_winning_tickets[(drawing & random_ticket).size] += 1
    		random_ticket.each do |x|
    			random_histogram[x-1] += 1
    		end
    	end
    end
    puts "#{num_drawings} drawings with #{tickets_per_drawing} tickets for each strategy per drawing,
    \ for a total of #{num_drawings*tickets_per_drawing*2} total tickets."
    puts "Number of times a ticket had N matching values while using the strategy:"
    strategy_winning_tickets.each_with_index do |x, index|
    	puts "#{index} matching numbers: #{x}"
    end
    puts "Number of times a ticket had N matching values while picking tickets randomly:"
    random_winning_tickets.each_with_index do |x, index|
    	puts "#{index} matching numbers: #{x}"
    end

Frankly I doubt even this would convince him, and I agree you're best off leaving it alone as long as he doesn't bother you anymore, but at least you can be satisfied knowing you're totally right.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    You don't need maths to disprove this, you need common sense.

If basic probability concepts could allow you to develop a strategy that gave great chances to win the lottery, lottery companies would have been driven out of business by maths majors decades ago.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Oh, I was slightly wrong there is one other guaranteed way to "win" the lottery

Be the one selling the tickets :D

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    While I agree that letting him think he has a System is the best option, perhaps using a smaller scale will better illustrate that covering all numbers in separate sets doesn't really help, by keeping the odds tangible for him.

Ask him to consider a pick 2 in 10, and apply his strategy:
    (1, 2)
    (3, 4)
    (5, 6)
    (7, 8)
    (9,10)

Call the two drawn two numbers X and Y. He will definitely have a set that contains X, but then there's an 89% (8 out of 9) chance that Y is going to be in a different set.

So if X is 1, there's an 11% (1:9) chance that Y is 2. If X = 3, 11% that Y is 4, and so on. The win rate for all possible X values is 11%.

X : Win%
    1-10 : 11%

That's an 11% to win a pick 2 in 10 by covering all the numbers. The chance to win a 2 in 10 with one ticket is only 2%, so he must be doing something right, right?

But what about these tickets:
    (1, 2)
    (2, 3)
    (1, 3)
    (2, 4)
    (1, 4)

They certainly look riskier; you're missing out on over half the numbers.

But despite the fact that there's a 60% chance you'll lose on the first number, there is still an 11% chance to win.

X : Win %
    1 : 33% (2, 3, 4)
    2 : 33% (1, 3, 4)
    3 : 22% (1, 2)
    4 : 22% (1, 2)
    5-10 : 0%

(33+33+22+22+0+0+0+0+0+0)/10 = 11%

So if picking all the numbers gives him an 11% chance, and picking less than half the numbers gives you an 11% chance of winning, then why does the chance of winning increase at all? Because the odds of winning off of one ticket is 1/45, or 2.2%. 2.2% * 5 tickets gives you an 11% chance of winning, regardless of what the numbers on that ticket are.

PS: I'm not explaining this to YOU like you're five, I'm suggesting a dumbed down proof for him. Maybe even try 2 in 8.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    We're all going about this the wrong way. The winning strategy is to find someone the FIL already trusts regarding odds (a poker buddy, for instance) and have that person say "no, this system doesn't work." Done.

• Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    The real system is to never squabble with your in-laws over things that aren't of personal importance.

Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.