As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech] thread - Galaxy Gear is bad

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

Welp

Catch you all in the next life.

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I migrated from my old S2 to an HTC 8X last week.

This Windows Phone 8 is not bad. Not bad at all. I'm getting no less than a day between recharges and everything works for me. I've only added a few apps like Netflix, StatGnome for my yahoo fantasy football, Nokias turn by turn nav app, and a battery status thingamajig. I don't seem to have a real pressing need for anything other than HBOGO. Recommendations are always nice. I do have problems with the way the browser works sometimes, but I think that's because I can be a sausage fingered idiot.

I have an HTC 8X from launch and I cannot get the battery to last me a full day with my use. For now I'm using a Samsung ATIV S which seems to have the extra life I require though I prefer the 8X size/feel.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    My contract on Sprint doesn't end until January. This price drop on the Nexus 4 is really tempting me to buy one right now and mess around with it. I plan on switching to T-Mobile's $35/month plan as soon as possible.

It's going to be a long few months.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    micro USB standard motherfucker
    Yeah, but the lightning cable plug is a billion times better.

• Options
    the first time you roll into your house drunk and don't have to give a shit which way the plug is oriented to charge your phone micro-USB loses all validity

lightning for life

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of not having to buy expensive, proprietary replacement cables just to charge my phone.
    <3

工事中
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    paying for additional functionality

it's an Apple thing

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    They're three dollars

• Options
    I can also use my $1 microUSB cable on my Raspberry Pi, computer mouse, keyboard, phone, multiple tablets, and bluetooth headphones. Industry standard and all that.

But, you know, it's not like I was just poking fun at Apple or anything. 8->

工事中
  • Options
    Your one dollar micro usb cable wont power your pi properly though.

• Options
    And yet one of the other, numerous microUSB cables I have laying around will do the job perfectly because it's an industry standard.

But, in other news, Klyph is a pretty neat Facebook alternative for Android. Google+ style, although it's still being developed and not everything is 100% working. But it's a fraction of the size.

工事中
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I'm sorry I can't hear anything any of you are saying because you're all posting dumb shit.

Hue hue hue apple vs android.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    After the magsafe I kind of feel like Apple got a free pass on proprietary connectors.

Definitely interested in a Windows phone though, the live tiles thing just seems really useful. Just not on a desktop.

• Options
    I'm sorry I can't hear anything any of you are saying because you're all posting dumb shit.

Hue hue hue apple vs android.

Or you could just, you know, ignore it.
    After the magsafe I kind of feel like Apple got a free pass on proprietary connectors.

Definitely interested in a Windows phone though, the live tiles thing just seems really useful. Just not on a desktop.

If Microsoft can get more app developers to give a damn about their OS, it could be really great. I see an occasional commuter that has Windows Phone and I keep wanting to play around with it.

工事中
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Win phone is good. Also the tiles thing on Win 8 desktop is pretty much a non issue, as you don't actually use them ever.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Man, looking at the Nexus 4 after buying one for a coworker...HMMMMM

Could be an easy way to try out Android since in theory it would just be a matter of swapping my SIM between devices, right?

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

Could be an easy way to try out Android since in theory it would just be a matter of swapping my SIM between devices, right?

When I swapped from my iPhone 5 to the Nexus 4 on AT&T they had to adjust the data plan, because apparently the plans for Android/WP8 devices and iPhones is slightly different in their system, despite being otherwise identical plans. YMMV depending on who you're with.

jgeis on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Depends on what you have right now. N4 uses a microSIM, same as all iPhones before the 5. The 5 (and the Moto X, fwiw) uses a smaller nanoSIM that doesn't really fit.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Yeah, most carriers have different service skus for "data" vs "Apple data" so you'll have to call the company and let them know you swapped the sim to a non-Apple device.

I'm pretty sure this information goes through secret channels back to Apple who will punish you appropriately for your treason.

• Options
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Yeah, most carriers have different service skus for "data" vs "Apple data" so you'll have to call the company and let them know you swapped the sim to a non-Apple device.

I'm pretty sure this information goes through secret channels back to Apple who will punish you appropriately for your treason.

this is bizarre to me because in canada it's this way with blackberry but apple stuff and android stuff uses the exact same data

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    The nexus 4 is the best feeling phone I've ever held, and as someone who handles about 5 to 6 different kinds of phones every work day, that's no small thing.

It is one of those heat in you hand phones though.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    my ATT phone got some crazy new message program by ATT and now I can access all my texts (apparently) from my PC

like imessage and also it does voicemail and stuff

cool i guess

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Visial voicemail used to be free when I had an iPhone but on my S4 it wants me to pay $3 a month for it. What the fuck, Verizon?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    so after years and years of using a slide phone, i finally made the jump to a smartphone

what apps n such does a brand new galaxy s4 active owner absolutely need, tech thread?

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Evernote or Keep is good, if you like notes.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    For internet I use Firefox, but that's only because I'm stuck with Gingerbread. I don't know if Chrome or whatever the default is now is any good.

Two of my favorite apps are Duolingo and Google Drive. Duolingo makes learning Spanish fun for me, and Drive lets me download anything I have uploaded in it.

PCMag has a 100 best android apps thing, and you can always browse recommended apps on Google Play.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i just traded in my mint condition old iphone 4 16gb to gamestop for $250 store credit

hell of a deal

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Going through my installed apps

FlightTrack: Worth the $4.99 if you travel at all (or know others that you pick up/drop off at airports). Good interface and delay/change alerts
    KeePassDroid - or LastPass or 1Password. Either way, get yourself into a password manager and keep your shit on lock down
    Super Hexagon - if you hate your thumbs
    Steam - serve the Newell on the go

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i just traded in my mint condition old iphone 4 16gb to gamestop for $250 store credit

hell of a deal

Damn I should do that and just run off my 3G until the new 5S comes out.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

Depends on what you have right now. N4 uses a microSIM, same as all iPhones before the 5. The 5 (and the Moto X, fwiw) uses a smaller nanoSIM that doesn't really fit.

4S at the moment. Blah, I don't want to have to call ATT :|

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

4S at the moment. Blah, I don't want to have to call ATT :|

I think you can order free replacement SIM cards off their website. Never tried it myself, though.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    No the SIM isn't the problem.

It is the having to deal with calling them to not get hit by different plan rates

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    does anyone know a good image editing app that isn't GIMP for Mac

my Pixelmator demo expired and I need to whip up a new phone background

• Options
    edited August 2013
    good and free? no

Pixelmator and Acorn are the best.

Maybe Acorn has a demo?

Oh hey cool Acorn has a free mode

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

The ISP I used to work with/for had to set up specific NATs and whatnot on their gateways for Apple services due to the iPhone specific traffic patterns, so it's possible that some carriers have different backend data paths for Apple devices to better cope with things.
    Butters wrote: »
    Visial voicemail used to be free when I had an iPhone but on my S4 it wants me to pay $3 a month for it. What the fuck, Verizon?

I believe Apple may have run/subsidised the visual voicemail systems for iPhones as a service differentiator, whereas Google doesn't.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    You can set up Google Voice to handle all your voicemail and get visual voicemail for free. I don't know if it works with the S4,though; when I first got my (Verizon) S3,it didn't play well with Google Voice. (Does now, though.)

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    just pulled the trigger on the nexus 4

~$300 after taxes + shipping, which hurts a bit

on the other hand that's still really cheap and about what I would pay for a used phone, i can use it on any network, and my old phone (HTC G2) has gotten really freakin bad.

• Options
    Woo

The Nexus 4 for work should arrive tomorrow, so I'll probably take it home over the long weekend and play around with it.

It would work with a pay-as-you-go SIM I would assume, too, yes?

Might be handy to have as an emergency backup number or something.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Jasconius wrote: »

hell of a deal

What the blue blazes!? That's a good $70 more than I got a year ago and I was told it was the most they were authorized to pay for it. It had the earbuds, charge/sync cable, wall unit and the entire box with manual all in excellent condition!

Are you sure it wasn't a 4S or something?

edit: Wait a sec. I got cash money, not store credit. Still, seems like more than I was offered.

TankHammer on
This discussion has been closed.