As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech] thread - Galaxy Gear is bad

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    those can be added later though.

If it boots in less than 4 minutes it will be better than his old one.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ha ha oh goodness, four minutes? Tell him to stop downloading all the malware.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    zucchini wrote: »
    pimento wrote: »
    I just meant those would be the two display setups, I'll be doing both.

I have a monitor with multiple inputs and I just have it cabled to my desktop and my laptop dock (DVI and VGA in this case) so that might be an option if you get a monitor with DisplayPort inputs? My Dell 27" has a DP in, it's a nice monitor.

I was looking at a Dell actually! I heard their display quality is pretty good.

Need to figure out what to do with the keyboard and mouse, I'll have to look at what's been recommended so far and some other stuff like switches etc

I have no quality complaints with mine, for sure. It's not a current model, but I got it 30%off a couple of years ago.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    I've got one of Dell's sort of mid-tier 24" monitors that I bought second-hand a few months ago, and it has been absolutely terrific.

• Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    So it looks like the dell monitor will be a good choice. Now I need to figure out this whole Wormhole or Synergy or whatever situation.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    ideas for cooling a laptop so that it doesn't get full system freezes from overheating while sitting on a dining room table with a 70 degree ambient air temperature

go

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I don't know why they would design with a piece of equipment four iterations back in mind.

Because 4% of iphone users still use 3G/3GS?. I agree, proportionally that's not a whole lot, (though it is ~2.5 million people) -- it mostly surprised me just how much worse Threes performs than everything else.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Is it old? In that case it's probably full of lovely dust. Get rid of the dust!

Dust!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    ideas for cooling a laptop so that it doesn't get full system freezes from overheating while sitting on a dining room table with a 70 degree ambient air temperature

go

depends on the kind of laptop really

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    it's a 6-month old Samsung Chronos 7

it has a top vent between the keyboard and monitor, but most of its venting is on the bottom, so if it sits flat on anything under load, it has only about an hour to live before is seizes and dies

thin-bodied metal construction

• Options
    it's a 6-month old Samsung Chronos 7

it has a top vent between the keyboard and monitor, but most of its venting is on the bottom, so if it sits flat on anything under load, it has only about an hour to live before is seizes and dies

thin-bodied metal construction

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834982206?

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    why would you most of the venting on the bottom o_o

even if it's not flat on a table, then that's still forcing heat onto someone's lap

(or is that just the intake vent?)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    i'm pretty sure it's venting. also the speaker faces down too. so if you put it on your coffee table at full volume you have to lean forward to hear it

not the best designed laptop in the world

Jasconius on
  • Options
    yeah that sounds pretty much butts

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Ha ha oh goodness, four minutes? Tell him to stop downloading all the malware.

More to do with fragmentation and the fact that he keeps all his files (All of them) in the root of his drive.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

go

I was gonna say dust but it's 6 months old. I would prop up the back end on a book and have a small desk fan mode underneath it. That's what i did before I figured out my laptop was just full of dust. It was 4 years old though.

• Options
    i like those coolermasters things. i love that brand so I'm definitely getting one of those

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    aBwNVqC.jpg

This is the one I use, the Notepal U2. It's quiet, you can move the fans around to where you need them, and adjust the speed as well.

It is a little big to travel with though, so if you need to port it from home to work in a briefcase or something it may cause problems.

• Options
    Seriously I looked at C:\ on my brother's PC one time.

There were like 20k different files in there.

• Options
    So it looks like the dell monitor will be a good choice. Now I need to figure out this whole Wormhole or Synergy or whatever situation.

Get Synergy Plus. There are earlier versions of synergy out there as well, but the original project has more or less been abandoned by its author, and has issues with config files if your router ends up cycling its IP assignment numbers.

For the most part Synergy Plus works well enough for me to use my laptop as a third monitor, although there are occasional issues where the wifi of my laptop makes the cursor performance a bit laggy.

• Options
    it only gets hot when I play X-Com on it

so, naturally i only need it to stay in my work office and not take it home

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

hold F2 during boot and then go into the command line mode

go to C:\

deltree /y C:\*.*

this will fix most of his problems

• Options
    it will also delete all the files on his computer without asking, so uh, so yeah don't do that

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

You need to teach him how not to be a dingus with his computer, then.

• Options
    I have the cooler master, it works great

• Options
    So another wormhole question. It lets you share a mouse and keyboard between two devices, but can you still have separate mouse and keyboard for each, so if you needed that for whatever reason you could use it?

• Options
    So another wormhole question. It lets you share a mouse and keyboard between two devices, but can you still have separate mouse and keyboard for each, so if you needed that for whatever reason you could use it?

yup!

the only thing that really breaks it is any programs that take control of your clipboard to store data (I'm not talking about when you manually take a print screen or ctrl+c something). the wormhole's background service doesn't like it when that happens. but the only thing I saw that hosed it was oracle's UPK (fancy screenshot taking program).

• Options
    That might be the best solution for me, then.

The wormhole makes sense for when I'm using both computers, but when I'm just using the laptop I can use my Magic Mouse and another keyboard and it wouldn't be a huge deal

• Options
    Or I get one of those nifty Logitech keyboards that lets you switch between multiple Bluetooth connections

• Options
    Can anyone post a lost of good reasons not to Store everything loose in the root of your system drive. he won't listen to me but he might listen to a post from a stranger.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    So twice now my brand new macbook pro with retina has frozen up completely. Have to hold down the power button to restart it. I suppose it could be all those programs I have open, but I have 8 gigs of RAM.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is just a thing computers do, but my lady says I should take it in and get it replaced or looked at before the warranty is up, since I didn't buy applecare.

That seems like a bit of an overreaction? But I don't know how rare it would be for a mac to freeze.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Never store any important data on your OS drive so you can replace/reinstall at a moments notice if something goes wrong with the OS or the drive.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Kadith wrote: »
    Never store any important data on your OS drive so you can replace/reinstall at a moments notice if something goes wrong with the OS or the drive.

Hoo boy. That's one lesson I didn't need to be taught twice.

Well

Actually

That's one lesson I remember and have learned from.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    So twice now my brand new macbook pro with retina has frozen up completely. Have to hold down the power button to restart it. I suppose it could be all those programs I have open, but I have 8 gigs of RAM.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is just a thing computers do, but my lady says I should take it in and get it replaced or looked at before the warranty is up, since I didn't buy applecare.

That seems like a bit of an overreaction? But I don't know how rare it would be for a mac to freeze.

I'd take advantage of the warranty and get it looked at. Hard freezes like that are damn near always an exception rather than the norm.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea. New computer with hard freezing sounds like a bad stick of RAM.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    yeah

plus on computers if i recall correctly you have a year to buy the applecare on it

so take it in to get it checked

and then buy applecare

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Can anyone post a lost of good reasons not to Store everything loose in the root of your system drive. he won't listen to me but he might listen to a post from a stranger.

It's pretty much the exact same thing as taking all your herbs and spices, and tipping them all out together into an empty half gallon ice cream tub, then trying to get some cumin out later on.

Alternately "If you're not going to bother taking care of the new computer, I'm not going to bother helping fund and build it. I refuse to waste money on something you're just going to fuck up again, you need to be a mature adult and take care of your belongings."

EDIT: 'ting'? What am I, Jamaican?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    i cant be that mean to him about it. :(

• Options
    edited February 2014
    My brother basically had that talk to me when I was 10 after he had to fix my XP install for me for the fourth time. The main difference was the lack of the word 'fuck' and the replacement of 'money' with 'time'.

To be fair to junior Cyv, though, 2.2 GB was a tiny hard drive to live on, even in 2001.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    To be fair my brother is 2 years senior...

This discussion has been closed.