As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm concerned about a depressed friend

CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
A friend of mine who has a history of some pretty heavy depression has been going through a bad spell. To make matters worse her dog who has pretty much been her emotional crutch for 12 years has been diagnosed with bone cancer, he'll have to be put down some time in the next week or two.

This is a complete hammer blow to her when she's already down. She's been talking about suicide, it's hard to tell how much of that talk is a cry for help and how much is serious but either way it's a concern. She seems to have problems talking about this to other people and she's seriously reluctant to go to a doctor, this is a problem since there's a limited amount I can do, I live in the UK and she's in NZ.

I'm not really sure what I can do about this.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Are you in touch with her family at all? Or do you have any way of contacting them? It might be possible to reach out to someone close to her in NZ...

• Options
    Her family are a no go area for various reasons. They generally aren't in a position to help her.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    If you know where she lives, you could use the internet to search for and then call mental health care resources in that city and ask them what NZ offers. Dunno about the land down under, but in Canada there are plenty of mental health care resources you can talk to. I've done work for some in the past and they were really quite accessible about asking general questions about someone and gave me some guidance on how to go about things.

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Contacting local services is certainly worth a try.

It would help if we had a clue to the specific/nature cause of her depression. I can give you my perspective from my own experience with depression and suicidal ideation, but I don't know how applicable it might be to her.

People who take their own lives, or seriously consider taking their own lives, often feel that they are a burden to the people around them, be it for mental health reasons, unemployment or what have you. They reach a point where they believe that they are only a drain on the people around them and society as a whole, and that they will never be able to contribute anything. Their sense of self worth is so low that the only apparent solution that they can think of is to end their own lives, freeing the people around them of the burden of their (believed) irredeemable existence.

If you want to help someone on the verge of suicide, show them that people around them care about them, don't see them as a burden, and most importantly appreciate their positive traits

The other side is people who perceive their existence to be so unbearable for suicide to be the only way out. They may perceive something small as an insurmountable overwhelming challenge. Helping them through that challenge step by step, or showing them it isn't the massive deal they have built up in their minds can help. They might consider themselves broken because they perceive that they can't do something that others take for granted, or they are missing something in their lives that other people have. A good thing to do is to show the person that other people don't see them that way, and that they know that the person is capable of doing that thing, or don't have that ill opinion of them in that particular area, or what have you.

At a most basic level, I would suggest trying to do nice things for her, make her feel appreciated, point out her positive traits. Try to figure out the root of her depression and counter it. If you have her NZ address, maybe get a surprise present or something delivered to her.

If she isn't getting professional help though, there is only so much you can do. Try to get her to warm up to the idea; "I know things seem bad, but maybe this could help them be less bad, its worth a try at least."

Depressed/suicidal people often "know" that everything is terrible and they can't be helped. You can't turn that on its head in one fell swoop, but chink away at it little by little with rational analysis and perspective.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Casual wrote: »
    A friend of mine who has a history of some pretty heavy depression has been going through a bad spell. To make matters worse her dog who has pretty much been her emotional crutch for 12 years has been diagnosed with bone cancer, he'll have to be put down some time in the next week or two.

This is a complete hammer blow to her when she's already down. She's been talking about suicide, it's hard to tell how much of that talk is a cry for help and how much is serious but either way it's a concern. She seems to have problems talking about this to other people and she's seriously reluctant to go to a doctor, this is a problem since there's a limited amount I can do, I live in the UK and she's in NZ.

I'm not really sure what I can do about this.

A cry for help is serious. She is essentially signalling people that things are so bad that she feels suicide is an option. It can be a serious consideration of an attempt and a cry for help. The two are not separate.

A few things you can do given the logistics:
    - encourage her to take it one day at a time; looking too far into the future is likely something that is difficult for her to do, and the grief about her dog is going to make that worse because it's a future without him
    - provide her with suicide helpline or crisis phone numbers accessible to her in New Zealand (lifeline is 0800 543 354)
    - be present with her; listen actively and validate her distress, don't focus on solutions or solving her problems just yet
    - ask her if she has thought about any methods or plans she would use to attempt suicide, and if so, how likely she is to act on them
    - if appropriate, ask what is keeping her from making an attempt
    - if she has a plan AND intends to make an attempt, I would consider contacting local services or alerting a member of her family and let her know you are doing this out of concern for her safety
    - emphasize that she does not need to see a doctor, but she should talk to someone face-to-face if she can; while you are in the UK, you are extremely limited in the kind of support and containment you can provide, so it may be worth attempting to help her identify people in her area (family, friends etc) that she feels are supportive that she may be able to talk to
    - when she is calmer and a bit more stable, try reframing some of her negative perceptions herself into positive ones

Other things to consider about someone considering suicide:
    - sometimes struggling to talk to other people can be indicative of not wanting to burden others, not wanting a flurry of questions, or not knowing how to express oneself properly in the first place (it could also be scared of not knowing what to expect)
    - without knowing why she finds it hard to talk to others, it's almost impossible to get her the help she needs
    - remember that she is in crisis out of concern for her dog; encourage her to explore grief counselling as an option

If she is in NZ and is a permanent resident or citizen, she has access to some rebated mental health services via the public system. She can explore these to seek support for her grief, if not the depression.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Do have the ability to call or Skype your friend, Casual? Having a live voice to talk to can be very important.
    be present with her; listen actively and validate her distress, don't focus on solutions or solving her problems just yet
    - ask her if she has thought about any methods or plans she would use to attempt suicide, and if so, how likely she is to act on them
    - if she has a plan AND intends to make an attempt, I would consider contacting local services or alerting a member of her family and let her know you are doing this out of concern for her safety
    - emphasize that she does not need to see a doctor, but she should talk to someone face-to-face if she can; while you are in the UK, you are extremely limited in the kind of support and containment you can provide, so it may be worth attempting to help her identify people in her area (family, friends etc) that she feels are supportive that she may be able to talk to

Make sure you do these things, verbatim. It's counter-intuitive, but talking about the suicidal ideation itself can make a life saving difference.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Get her on Skype for at least 10 minutes every day at the same time. Ask her about how she is holding up but distract her, too, tell her some stories, some of what's going on there, something funny you saw on the internet, whatever.

Also if there is any online game you can play together it would go a long way towards distracting her for a bit. Even a simple game of chess.

Do you know anyone that's near her in NZ?

Australopitenico on
  • Options
    She's saying she can't afford to see a doctor right now. Which I'm pretty sure is bullshit since NZ has an NHS.

• Options
    You can't put a price on your health.

One thing that kept me going when I was feeling low was looking forward to an upcoming game/movie.

• Options
    Work is an issue for her right now, she isn't getting many shifts and money is a problem.

I've gotten some links on the kiwi health system and what can be done for low income people.

• Options
    Well your friend can be happy to have someone who looks out for her like you are, kudos. :)

• Options
    TehPhireTehPhire Registered User new member
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    - be present with her; listen actively and validate her distress, don't focus on solutions or solving her problems just yet

What Vivixenne said about checking to see if she has a plan and access to whatever she needs to carry out this plan is the first step in finding out how serious she is about suicide and what I would suggest doing first (I'm finishing up my MSW right now and we covered this topic pretty heavily). Active listening and hooking her up with local resources are really important too. I know you mentioned that her family can't help her right now, but having emotional support is one of the greatest assets any individual can have and she is lucky to have a friend like you who is so concerned for her well being. If it is possible for you to get in touch with any of her family it would be good to have someone who is physically there to ensure she is safe.