As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Solved] Audition for working at a Theme Park's Halloween Event

LarsLars Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
(Reposted from SE++ job thread)

Busch Gardens is a nearby theme park that has a huge Halloween event every year.

To get some extra money I decided to apply as one of the monsters since it's only on the weekends and it could be fun. Today I have to go in for my audition.

Now, I've worked in smaller haunted houses and such and I think I'm pretty good, but I've never been an actor and I've never been to an audition. So I googled to try and find what these particular auditions are like.

Apparently you're in a brightly lit room, standing in front of a panel of judges, along with other people who are auditioning, and you don't get a mask or anything and have to howl like a dog and roll around and act like a Bela Lugosi vampire and all kinds of other stuff while they all watch you.

So I've got huge butterflies in my stomach now. To anyone with acting (or just auditioning) experience, how does one overcome the feeling of being extremely self-conscious in that scenario when I know I could do it in the actual job setting (ie. a haunted house in a costume)?

If I could use a mask or if the other auditioners weren't there I think I'd be a lot less nervous.

Edit: Just got back. When our group went in, I actually had to go first and my nerves was shot, but apparently I did well since I made it through all the auditions and got hired.

Lars on