As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What the heck is my SSD doing?

SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
This morning, I woke up, turned on my computer, did a bit of web browsing, and shut it off before I left, as I intended to add some more ram and switch from a DVD to a blu-ray drive when I got home, which I did. When I left, I had about 18-20gb free on this thing, but after I finished monkeying around with it I fired it up and now I've only got 7.5gb left. I ran a virus scan and defragged it, but that didn't help much. I checked the properties of each folder listed on C, and by that math I only come up to about 90gb (that's including hidden folders). Where'd this extra space go?

aTBDrQE.jpg

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    You're not supposed to defrag an SSD D:D:

Check your temp file folder?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Temp folder only has a couple gigs of stuff in it, but I think something else might be going on here, because I just had to restart my computer and now I'm getting "bootmgr is missing" and the thing doesn't show up in my bios.

edit- to clarify, my other HD and the blu-ray are showing up just fine. It's only the SSD that's missing.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    This morning, I woke up, turned on my computer, did a bit of web browsing...

Did you now....

Anyways as to the actual question it's probably your pagefile. Windows by default makes a pagefile that's something like 1.5x the amount of ram you have installed so that it can dump the ram to your ssd when you go to sleep, and put it back when it wakes up. You increased the amount of ram and windows dutifully increased the pagefile. I don't remember where it is exactly but you can set the pagefile to whatever you want pretty easily, or just turn it off all together if you don't want to hibernate.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Changing the sata port fixed that particular problem, so... motherboard issue as well?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Do you have other drives installed? Changing the port makes me think the boot order was messed up and changing the port made the boot order change.

Edit - Also yeah you shouldn't defrag an ssd. No worries for doing it a few times though.

Jebus314 on
  • Options
    I changed out from a DVD to a blu-ray drive, but the boot order shifted to my storage drive, and it didn't recognize the SSD until I changed the port (which I had to do twice). I just restarted it after doing the virtual memory tweak (which solved that issue, thank you) and it didn't give me any grief, so I think I'm going to back up everything I can just in case.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Did you now....

Anyways as to the actual question it's probably your pagefile. Windows by default makes a pagefile that's something like 1.5x the amount of ram you have installed so that it can dump the ram to your ssd when you go to sleep, and put it back when it wakes up. You increased the amount of ram and windows dutifully increased the pagefile. I don't remember where it is exactly but you can set the pagefile to whatever you want pretty easily, or just turn it off all together if you don't want to hibernate.

The pagefile is not used for hibernation. That's the hiberfile. Do not mess with your page file. Leave it set to let Windows manage it. There's no reason to disable your pagefile.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Did you now....

The pagefile is not used for hibernation. That's the hiberfile. Do not mess with your page file. Leave it set to let Windows manage it. There's no reason to disable your pagefile.

Sorry I sometimes swap these two, but you can pretty safely alter either. Like you said, hiberfile is the one I was talking about and if you don't ever put the computer to sleep then you can set windows to never hibernate and it will go away. Pagefile, which is the one that the OP seems to have changed is your virtual memory. If you've got limited RAM you need some virtual memory to even be able to open more than a few programs at once. If you however have 8GB+ of RAM you can safely reduce the pagefile to 500MB or so (the last little bit just being used for crash reports). If you seem to have trouble with programs giving you an error pertaining to not having enough memory space then increase the pagefile again.

Jebus314 on
  • Options
    It's a bit more complex than that. This thread has a some pretty good discussion about paging, though it does occasionally devolve into nerdsniping. Some of those posters have history. This post from another thread sums it up pretty well. The threads are several years old, but they are contemporaneous with Vista and things haven't changed significantly since then.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    BTW, don't defrag a SSD... it won't do any good, but it will wear out the SSD.

Other than that, you might want to look into programs that visually display hard drive space, so you can find what is using all of it. There are many of these, I tend to use http://windirstat.info/index.html myself.

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    I've heard good things things about TreeSize as well.

steam_sig.png