Options

Lost My 4-Day Badge...But I Still Have My BYOC Badge

AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular
edited September 2013 in PAX West
At some point on Friday morning, after checking my computer and monitor into BYOC, I lost my 4-day badge. I'm not sure how this happened; I figure that it must have detached from my lanyard at some point. Thankfully, I didn't lose my BYOC badge.

When I notified the info desk about the situation they informed me that without a 4-day badge I would only be allowed into the BYOC area and that all other PAX areas would be off limits. Also, they would be unable to give me a replacement badge and that the only way I would be allowed back into "the rest of PAX" was if someone were to locate a 4-day badge and turn it into the lost and found (presumably so they could give it to me). I showed them my BYOC badge (with my "account information" sticker and BYOC bar code on the back) and asked why my BYOC badge and proof of BYOC computer setup didn't count as proof that I had purchased a 4-day badge. They told me that proof of purchase was not an issue. Instead the problem was that giving me an extra pass would be a violation of the fire code (occupancy limits).

Since a 4-day badge, or four one day badges, is a prerequisite for a BYOC badge can't it be assumed that the ownership of a BYOC badge implies ownership of a 4-day badge (even if it is lost)? Therefore, why can't the BYOC badge provide access to PAX?

Update: An extra 4-day pass has been found due to the diligence of the Enforcers. Can't thank them enough for their help...

AGlassOfMilk on

Posts

  • Options
    digitarddigitard I walked up hill BOTH ways AZRegistered User regular
    I would guess two fold:
    #1. Hypothetically someone could give their 4 day badge to someone who couldn't go, and then get a replacement and both parties could attend which leads to...
    #2. The fire code. There's limits and they have to abide by them or they could, in theory, be shut down, etc.

    Hope someone finds it, and does the right thing to turn it in.

    Dave K
    Media / Social Monkey
    GregRedHastings.com
    Now available for iOS - Coming Soon for Android / Ouya
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    For others reading the thread, never use the clip to hold your badge. Instead, run the lanyard itself through the badge's slot, that way it isn't going anywhere.

  • Options
    DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    yea, it's because they can't cancel your lost pass. Anybody else could use it to enter the convention. Since they are sold out and near the limits for the maximu number of people allowed in the building, they run the risk of going over that limit if they give out another pass and allow another person in the building. That would be why they cited the fire code. Plus they could also want to cut down on fraud where people give away or sell their pass only to have it replaced essentially buying 2 for 1.

  • Options
    AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular
    DanQ wrote: »
    yea, it's because they can't cancel your lost pass. Anybody else could use it to enter the convention. Since they are sold out and near the limits for the maximu number of people allowed in the building, they run the risk of going over that limit if they give out another pass and allow another person in the building. That would be why they cited the fire code. Plus they could also want to cut down on fraud where people give away or sell their pass only to have it replaced essentially buying 2 for 1.

    I understand that they have no way of trusting me. I could have sold my 4-day badge and I could be cheating them. However, despite that, they still let me back into BYOC (because I checked-in and my computer is there). So, they have already accepted the risk of allowing an additional person in the building. As I type this from the BYOC area someone could be in the building using my lost badge.

    This is the intrinsic risk when you give both a 4-day badge and a BYOC badge at the same time. So, why do it? It seems more logical to just give the BYOC badge and treat it as a 4-day.



  • Options
    duhnoduhno Registered User regular
    how did u manage to get a 4 day badge in the first case?

  • Options
    MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    I'm actually quite surprised that they've gone back to two badges. At PAX Aus they were operating on the basis that your BYOC badge was your 3 day badge.

  • Options
    VanusVanus Registered User regular
    duhno wrote: »
    how did u manage to get a 4 day badge in the first case?

    What?

    BYOC (for as long as I've been doing it at Prime) has always been a separate badge. It got you into nothing except BYOC, and you needed a full weekend, or equivalent, to get anywhere else at PAX.

  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Vanus wrote: »
    duhno wrote: »
    how did u manage to get a 4 day badge in the first case?

    What?

    BYOC (for as long as I've been doing it at Prime) has always been a separate badge. It got you into nothing except BYOC, and you needed a full weekend, or equivalent, to get anywhere else at PAX.

    Dumb question, but can you "officially" get into BYOC with just the BYOC badge? I've only had my "underneath" badge checked once all weekend, but that was enough to keep me from giving away my SUN badge. I'll be at Bumbershoot most of the day, but still wanted BYOC access, and if I knew I could get up there I would hand Sunday off and let somebody else enjoy the show today.

    Interestingly, the ONLY time my day badge was checked was in the Annex, too...

  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    And if that's not a policy, honestly it should be. If BYOC is sold to single day holders, they should get full weekend access to just that area.

    It's not that many people, really, just account for it properly for fire code purposes.

  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    When BYOC was in the main building you couldn't get to it without a show pass as well becuase you had to go through the green coats to get to BYOC and that's still how it should be. I wouldn't think anyone should be getting past the ground floor annex green coats without being checked for a show pass, because it's not a public building area and I don't recall seeing green coats at the bottom of the escalators up to expo from PC.

  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Steel Fire wrote: »
    When BYOC was in the main building you couldn't get to it without a show pass as well becuase you had to go through the green coats to get to BYOC and that's still how it should be. I wouldn't think anyone should be getting past the ground floor annex green coats without being checked for a show pass, because it's not a public building area and I don't recall seeing green coats at the bottom of the escalators up to expo from PC.

    I'll say that I've had my show pass checked precisely one time all weekend. That's with dozens and dozens of entries all across the WSCC.

    And that time wasn't even a green coat, it was an Enforcer.

    EDIT: YMMV, as always.

    mcdermott on
Sign In or Register to comment.