Options

[Superhero Movies] Iron Man 3 on Blu-ray now.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    mmm hmmm this all sounds good. bastion of hope, the ultimate paragon of freedom, great!

so how do we get this guy to murder another guy?

I still think Goyer's explanation after the fact was almost worse

Oh he won't kill now, cause he learned not to

Goyer

Do you think people need to murder someone to learn its not ok

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    mmm hmmm this all sounds good. bastion of hope, the ultimate paragon of freedom, great!

so how do we get this guy to murder another guy?

I still think Goyer's explanation after the fact was almost worse

Oh he won't kill now, cause he learned not to

Goyer

Do you think people need to murder someone to learn its not ok

He's like 30 years old by that point in the movie, right?

I mean, maybe the Kents just missed that part of his education, but I was pretty aware that killing wasn't okay at the age of 0

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    i can honestly say that baby me probably didn't know that murder was bad.

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    i'd like to see baby you murder anyone

i bet i could take baby you in a knife fight

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    bet you couldn't

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    maybe baby me did murder someone.

i don't remember anything pre 4 years old.

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    okay i'm taking off my shirt and getting into my time machine

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    From SUPERMAN The Ultimate Guide to the Man of Steel:
    The Healing Symbol

Superman's emblem echoes the design adorning an Iroquois healing blanket that belonged to his ancestors Nathaniel and Mary Glenowen-Kent. The S-shaped symbol represents a snake - a great medicine animal totem to the Iroquois.
    Superman's emblem evokes the power to heal. It is recognized everywhere on earth... and even beyond Kal-El's adopted world!
    Wha--?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    okay i'm taking off my shirt and getting into my time machine

The first part goes without saying

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I actually think that making the whole "killing Zod" thing a part of his character in a big way is the only way to salvage that whole angle

Sure, it's not the best way, but you work with what you've got

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I actually think that making the whole "killing Zod" thing a part of his character in a big way is the only way to salvage that whole angle

Sure, it's not the best way, but you work with what you've got

just don't have superman murder someone and you don't need to justify it!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The Healing Symbol

Superman's emblem echoes the design adorning an Iroquois healing blanket that belonged to his ancestors Nathaniel and Mary Glenowen-Kent. The S-shaped symbol represents a snake - a great medicine animal totem to the Iroquois.
    Superman's emblem evokes the power to heal. It is recognized everywhere on earth... and even beyond Kal-El's adopted world!
    Wha--?
    There was this fairly high profile, weird, miniseries ages ago called The Kents that was all about the ancestors of John and Martha Kent.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

Chris and my taste's often don't line up for superhero stuff but I love hearing him talk about this stuff

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The Healing Symbol

Huh. That's a new one on me.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Superman killing Zod is kind of consistent with the way he behaves throughout the rest of the movie. He was portrayed as an arrogant douche who didn't have much compassion for people, who only helped people because it would be completely negligent and irresponsible if he didn't.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Sounds kinda stupid.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Superman killing Zod is kind of consistent with the way he behaves throughout the rest of the movie. He was portrayed as an arrogant douche who didn't have much compassion for people, who only helped people because it would be completely negligent and irresponsible if he didn't.

Also his dad basically raised him to be afraid of other people and assume the worst at all times

Which, personally, I think would be super interesting if Superman had to straight up be a better person than both his dads in order to be Superman

But the movie doesn't do that

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    oh shit the blue marvel is in the upcoming mighty avengers

I know, right? That preview had some good writing.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Also his dad basically raised him to be afraid of other people and assume the worst at all times

Which, personally, I think would be super interesting if Superman had to straight up be a better person than both his dads in order to be Superman

also it ignores 70 years of established character building

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

I think that could have worked if they had done more to show how it was more about Pa Kent's own insecurities and fears of what people would do if they found out about Clark. That paternalistic instinct to protect a child to such an extent that it can hold the child back does make sense.

• Options

Mighty Avengers looks like it'll be an exceptionally well written book with horrible, horrible art

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    kentsa.jpeg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Mighty Avengers looks like it'll be an exceptionally well written book with horrible, horrible art

Let's all send emails to mheroes@marvel.com about how we like the writing but hate the art.

• Options
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

See when I say, "Superman is boring" everyone gets all bent out of shape because hey there's lots of interesting, unique takes on Superman you can do.

But then when someone makes a different kinda Superman (no comment on the actual quality of the movie, haven't seen it yet), everyone goes, "How dare he ignore 70 years of Superman's character getting established"

If it's a shitty movie with a crappy jerk character then criticize it for that.

But if the critique is, "Well how dare he do something that doesn't match the previous 70 years of writing"

Then Superman is static and boring to me.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    kentsa.jpeg

Please tell me this is a storyline where baby Superman is found by one half of a Hatfield - McCoy Kent clan feud

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    so i just got Orion Pax today

he is basically pre-Matrix of Leadership/pre Supreme Commander of the Autobots Optimus Prime/Supercop of the Rodion Police on planet Cybertron

he is so cool
    cNStxbJ.jpg

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

Chris and my taste's often don't line up for superhero stuff but I love hearing him talk about this stuff

As a big Fourze fan, that's an article that just got bookmarked.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

See when I say, "Superman is boring" everyone gets all bent out of shape because hey there's lots of interesting, unique takes on Superman you can do.

But then when someone makes a different kinda Superman (no comment on the actual quality of the movie, haven't seen it yet), everyone goes, "How dare he ignore 70 years of Superman's character getting established"

But if the critique is, "Well how dare he do something that doesn't match the previous 70 years of writing"

But something like Superman not killing is at the very core of his character
    you can change all kinds of ancillary stuff about him and go for an alternate take on the character but when you start changing his morals and where he draws the lines on important things like murder then he's not really Superman anymore

and really, this next part applies to any character: if your idea of a unique take is to take a character who previously didn't kill and decide to have him kill someone now, that's just a shitty way of trying to mix things up

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Where's his lucky faceplate?

• Options
    I mean, imagine an adaptation of The Great Gatsby where they say "In our version of TGG, Gatsby actually doesn't care about Daisy at all."

That would be a pretty terrible adaptation of The Great Gatsby, wouldn't it?

• Options
    I will never like the lack of face plate

But any version of Optimus Prime that has the energon axe is A-OK by me, man

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    We are rebooting Indiana Jones except now he doesn't care about museums

Wait shit that is just Uncharted

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    when are we going to get more movies in the vein of indy/national treasure/uncharted/tomb raider/the mummy

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    when are we going to get more movies in the vein of indy/national treasure/uncharted/tomb raider/the mummy

I have never agreed with anything you've ever posted as much as I agree with this

The whiz-bang adventure movie just doesn't exist anymore! It got swallowed by the superhero movie and the explosion-filled action blockbuster

And that is a damned shame

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    How'd Tintin do a few years back? I remember that being good.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Personally, when I see someone say something akin to, "Superman is boring," what I hear is something close to, "A courageous, noble hero of virtue is boring."

But what I hear is even closer to, "Someone like Mister Rogers is boring."

And at that point, you are fucking wrong.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    look zonugal, i agree, mr. rogers is great

but what if he had a gun?

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

They mean that there are lots of ways to use a man of unbending morals in interesting variations and settings.

If you completely change who Superman is, you've just made someone who is similar to Superman, bit isn't. which has been done well!

This discussion has been closed.