As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Denizen [mini-Phalla]: Minotaur (and living Village) WIN!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Right so

Everyone ambush

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Vote Closed

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    Buddha73Buddha73 Registered User regular
    It's lights out! @jdark

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Important info:

These ruins are the prison of the Skeleton King. One of the adventurers is his descendant. There will be a final confrontation against the Skeleton King - presumably on Day 7. Let's kill the adventurers before they get to that point.

• Options
    Unfortunately I'm not. Are you a special or something?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Day 5 Narration
    Sassafrass the Minotaur rubbed its hands in gleeful anticipation. It had managed to go almost unnoticed by the awakened spirits, and its plan was complete. Now, as it watched the adventurers from the shadows, it could hardly contain its excitement as they approached the bizarre and deadly room it had discovered weeks before.

Hobgoblin Chief Rocksbane (kime) was out of patience. His bloodlust got the better of him at last and he decided to confront the adventurers directly, charging into their midst with a terrifying war-cry. He'd been possessed, done battle with the ancient spirits, and forced to kill his own men by misadventure; he'd had enough. When the chaos ended, all but the last few adventurers lay dead on the floor... as did the chief and his mighty axe Boulderhacker.
    The adventurers take 4 damage from Chief Rocksbane's demise.

Clunk read from an arcane scroll, intending to slay what he was sure was an enemy, and was shocked as a strange crumbling noise and a clatter was audible. The Guardian Statue (jdarksun) who had attempted to watch over the hobgoblins as they fought the adventurers - hoping to avert a terrible conclusion - felt its consciousness wink out and dissolved into sand.

Lady Amalthea experienced a different surprise, as his scroll simply failed to release its magical power. Perhaps his target had already died?

Do not seek the treasure, commanded the haunting voice, "it is bushwhacked!" Most heeded this warning, and the surviving adventurers found themselves pursued into a vast room spanned by hanging platforms. Spikes line every other surface in the chamber, and the only way across is to swing from platform to platform, suspended from dangling chains. Faced with a swarm of hobgoblins or a test of their agility, the surviving adventurers spring into action. A haggard man clad in plate armor, knowing it is his time, holds off the swarming looters as his companions, a wizard and a ranger, do their best to navigate the room. He falls to your blades just as the ranger slips and falls to his doom. The wizard nimbly flies towards safety only to be struck down by the revealed Minotaur and his club as he tries to land!
    The adventurers take 3 damage and expire.

... elsewhere, having sensed that their cause is hopeless, Chancellor Xaphos - once known to his customers as Carlos, the scientist with the perfect hair - and a formless cloud of stench and miasma, the Remnant of Pestilence - formerly the wizard Zug'Zug - flee the dungeon by means of a teleportation scroll held in reserve by the Chancellor against just such an event.

A terrible bellow emanates into the minds of the survivors. "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo...." as the last adventurer falls, and the tomb goes quiet, returning to the state in which the Looters originally found it.

Adventurer HP: 0/25

Minotaur (and other villagers) WIN!
    Surviving mafia escape, to menace do-gooders again.

Chancellor, Minotaur, and Remnant, please reveal yourselves, as you've done a mighty good job. In the case of the last two, under trying circumstances!

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    This game ended when Gandalf died.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for hosting auralynx.

Also thanks to gizzy.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Everyone say "thanks ketbra for giving saber and gandalf to the vig"

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    thanks for running auralynx/gizzy

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna play a round of Dawngate to allow time for discussion / venting before I reveal anything; let's get some uninformed comments / questions settled by you guys before the curtain comes off.

• Options
    Steam
  • Options
    Why was the decision made to disallow comments between narration and vote close?

Steam
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I have to say , I'm glad you weren't evil @CesareB. It's nice to see some people are familiar with how I play without it being in conjunction with them having facts that I'm innocent (due to their own alignment).

• Options
    Hilariously, if cesare revealed to me instead of TRV, we wouldn't have killed him. Really needed to find the builder to have a chance.

Steam
  • Options
    also saber totally broke his rend deal with me.

just fyi

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sorry jdark for killing you but hey the village did win! So it wasn't so bad.

Thanks Auralynx/Gizzy for hosting! I had fun looting most of the time. :)

• Options
    Seriously after we lost our builder, the gameplan was
    1) get lucky and kill the builder
    2) get lucky with rng rooms

I lost out on wanting to concede.

Steam
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

just fyi

Maybe? Saber didn't inform us anything of such deal. He just said he talked to you a little.

Steam
  • Options
    There was better treasure options - village just never killed the mafia member responsible for choosing your treasures

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    So yeah, I was Second-place Vote Death Guy, a.k.a. the Minotaur. That was one of the traps I had available to me on days 1-3, and until the Master Builder died I could only set traps on odd days. In other words, day 3 was the last chance I had to use that trap - and of all people, it just had to somehow kill the seer mouthpiece. Sorry about that! I really didn't anticipate it.
    Yeah, the game balance was such that it relied on neither of us dying ever. If I died, the village was fucked. If Gandalf died, the mafia were fucked unless they managed to kill me, and then they had to avoid voting out any village specials. I guess I'm not sure what the HP thing was supposed to accomplish.

• Options

just fyi

Maybe? Saber didn't inform us anything of such deal. He just said he talked to you a little.

Yep he agreed to one, then failed to fully reciprocate the info exchange (I knew he was mafia but not what his win con was)

Then you guys murdered me.

So

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Also, Aura, you should CD like three times as much stuff in the future.

Steam
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Also, both halves of my role PM:
    Auralynx wrote:
    Minotaur
    You are a towering amalgamation of man and bull with a natural affinity for mazes and ruins. For many years, you have inhabited these ruins, preying on travelers and learning their layout. Until the adventurers arrived, this was an ideal lair! Your inherent navigational prowess and knowledge of this area enable you to misdirect the adventurers on odd days, choosing what they encounter as they explore the ruins.

You have no interest in becoming a minion of the forces that haunt these ruins, and therefore share the village's victory condition. If confronted by the adventurers, your mighty horns and hooves will enable you to wreak terrible havoc on them, doing four damage before you expire.

You, I owe a table with encounters for the adventurers; it's coming later tonight or tomorrow morning once everything else has gone out.
    Auralynx wrote:
    Encounters and the Ambush Value
    On Odd days, the Minotaur chooses from the following table. The Ambush Value is calculated by adding the day and the number of Hobgoblin Looters involved in ambushing; Encounters are available on a day-by-day basis and can only be chosen once by the same player.

These first two can happen on any night but may not be chosen consecutively by the same player.
    Trap!: The adventurers take 1 damage + 1 for every 4 points of Ambush Value from fiendish traps involving crossbows, spring-loaded blades, and so forth.

Rest Area: The adventurers secure a safe area to take a breather, regaining 3 health - 1 for every 4 points of Ambush Value, minimum 1. This cannot increase their health above 25.

The following 4 are available on Days 1-3:
    Bees!: The adventurers encounter bees. Lots of bees. We're talking "Argh, they're in my eyes, arghlarghl!" numbers of bees. Fortunately, they've got wizards and rangers along, so this is not a big deal to them. The adventurers take 1 damage from bee swarms. One hobgoblin looter for every 4 points of Ambush Value consumes the bees' Delicious Honey and becomes sleepy; they are unable to take actions on the next turn.

Double Encounter: The second place vote-getter also confronts the adventurers tonight.

Grave of a Hero: The adventurers encounter and loot the tomb belonging to a heroic victim. They claim his belongings, gaining 2 health. A randomly-chosen player who took the Search for Treasure action receives a Weapon +1.

Grave of a Villain: The adventurers encounter the tomb of a lesser minion of the being that rules this place. They defeat his undead body, losing 2 health. A randomly-chosen player who took the Search for Treasure action receives a Cursed Weapon +1.

On Days 4-6, the following encounters are available:
    The Room With the Spikes: Deep within these ruins, there is a room whose floor, ceiling, and walls are studded with spikes. It can be navigated only by means of climbing through and swinging on a variety of chains. If the Ambush Value is at least 10, the adventurers are forced to navigate the room by the hobgoblins' pursuit, taking 3 damage. If it is below 9, they have the time to navigate it safely, taking no damage.

Fungal Grove: The tomb impinges on natural caverns, including this area full of giant subterranean fungi. The adventurers hack their way through in a chaotic battle with weird, screaming mushroom men. The mushroom men are not very dangerous, dealing only 1 damage for every 6 points of Ambush Value, but the hobgoblins are able to use the fungi to their advantage. An additional Healing Potion, Death Scroll, and Scroll of Confusion are randomly distributed among the Hobgoblin Looters.

The Treasury: The adventurers locate a hidden vault of weapons and armor made ready for use in some nefarious future plan. They regain 5 health, -1 for every 4 points of Ambush Value. A +1 weapon and a Hero's Shield are immediately distributed to random Hobgoblin Looters as they pick over the spoils.

The Ovens: The adventurers find themselves temporarily trapped in a metal-clad room that can be heated using the coal and oil stored nearby; the hobgoblins seize the opportunity. The adventurers take 2 damage + 1 for every 4 points of Ambush Value.

On Day 7, the adventurers' encounter is the thing that ends the game. Keep an eye on the narrations for details.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    Just a really crappy way to lose. Curious to see if either of us could have survived another couple of days.

Steam
  • Options
    What i pm'd to aura in response to kimes behind the scenes questions to himself about the crazy day:

Kime figures they'll suspect him of being the vig that was converted, so he makes up a story to set himself up as neutral to the mafia. It works and Mill calls out for the Peddler. Vert responds .. and Mill straight up tells her he is mafia. But she misunderstands it to be sarcasm. She asks to rend deal and Mill's like .. sure .. b/c it's already out there that he's mafia anyway. Vert jumps to conclusions that he is a neutral peddler, although he never said it. So then she thinks she's been lied to .. but the only thing he lied about was getting a weapon. And I'm not sure how she misunderstood seer test, but I don't think she realized Mill had actually been seered. So now she's telling everyone she's a guard .. but she really just has a temporary item. HILARIOUS

• Options
    So yeah, I was Second-place Vote Death Guy, a.k.a. the Minotaur. That was one of the traps I had available to me on days 1-3, and until the Master Builder died I could only set traps on odd days. In other words, day 3 was the last chance I had to use that trap - and of all people, it just had to somehow kill the seer mouthpiece. Sorry about that! I really didn't anticipate it.
    Yeah, the game balance was such that it relied on neither of us dying ever. If I died, the village was fucked. If Gandalf died, the mafia were fucked unless they managed to kill me, and then they had to avoid voting out any village specials. I guess I'm not sure what the HP thing was supposed to accomplish.

Of course, if the village lost their builder, they could have won in the traditional sense. This mechanic required the mafia to do additional things, but gave village the option of winning outside of the standard win con. I was serious that only villagers could loot things and it could be used as a soft confirm, had you guys wanted to win normally.

Steam
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    -I think it goes without saying, powerful roles suck and make it too easy for things to get swingy and for the players to get frustrated. Gandalf's ability shouldn't have been designed differently. Either it should be a straight mafia ability on odd days or if it has to be tied to someone, it should have been RNG'd once Gandalf died, during even days.

-Jpants ability is another area that could have used tweaking. He couldn't use it on vote winners and could only cast it once. Given the mechanics, voting out a villager wasn't a major problem for villagers. I can think of two ways this could have worked better.

-On the builder not, probably should have kept Jdark in the dark about what day 7 entailed. We would have been pretty fucked, even if Gandalf didn't die, if a strong network got going and learned from Jdark that the game would not go further than day 7.

Way 1
    Could be used on the vote winner, to reduce their damage by 1. If cast on someone that doesn't win the vote, it will reduce their damage by 2 and sicken others that target the player.

Way 2
    Can't be cast on the vote winner; however, can be cast on up to two players (more if you want). Also if you really wanted to, you could have it sicken others if someone targets a sick player, but that seems a bit overkill with this setup.

-Even though I feel this game ended day 2. It seems like the ability to confirm people was overboard. In addition to an alignment seer. Narration listed those that received loot and mafia could never acquire loot. On top of that their was an item that acted as a self guard and disclosed the origination of the attack. Since everyone had something to do, an alignment seer probably was overkill and an action seer would have been more reasonable.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    So I was the actual guard, which will explain why I went on a tear trying to figure out why ebum died. And why I was so dismissive of vert's claims.

Who were the other mafia?

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    T_A, were you aiming at Obi when you killed SOE?

• Options
    kime killed saber I thought?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    So I was the actual guard, which will explain why I went on a tear trying to figure out why ebum died. And why I was so dismissive of vert's claims.

Who were the other mafia?

JPants and I were the last two standing.

Steam
  • Options
    kime killed saber I thought?

Yeah, There was no bus drive because mill was voted.

Steam
  • Options
    Yeah kime killed saber

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    ZH and I were the last mafia.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Also thanks for running this Gizzy and Aura.

Yes, Vert misunderstanding me was hilarious.

• Options
    why'd you bus drive obi?

Did you think he was the vig?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Had the game last another day and the adventurers had 3 or less HP left i was playing to reveal that i was clunk and that had cursed +1 weapon. Kill me and adventurers would be died.
    Self sacrifice to win the game. That was my plan.