Options

Trails in the Sky 2 coming to PC/PSP 2014. Trails 1 coming to Steam this Winter.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Fuck whoever decided that there should be a pitch black maze littered with enemies who can attack you with impunity while all you're allowed to do is run. Fuck them with a pitch black maze.

Equip your Night Vision Goggles?
    (I'm not being facetious. It's an actual accessory you get in the first dungeon before your first pitch black maze.)

Nope, they're after the first maze.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Fuck whoever decided that there should be a pitch black maze littered with enemies who can attack you with impunity while all you're allowed to do is run. Fuck them with a pitch black maze.

Equip your Night Vision Goggles?
    (I'm not being facetious. It's an actual accessory you get in the first dungeon before your first pitch black maze.)

Nope, they're after the first maze.

Inside it, to be more correct. Like, right as you start the maze. The very first door you should come across.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Man, is the Zeiss area just really buggy or is this a "just me" issue? Game was running fine all the way up to here, but now I'm getting huge load times (complete with "Not Responding" messages that fortunately have never actually crashed the game) and hanging.

edit: and of course now that I've posted this, it seems to be fine. Sigh. Oh well.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    SC 4th Chapter spoilers:
    Game does the usual switching between cute stuff and serious bisness usually fairly well, but there's a sidequest to find a cat that's been missing all of six hours when Rolant is suffering from a killer fog that traps people's souls. Your team goes all "This is a serious matter! CAT MUST BE FOUND AT ALL COSTS!!!!" when you accept the it and it just seems a bit silly.

Oh well, I'm sure those comatose people and their anxious and terrified loved ones who need to wait a bit longer understand that I'll do anything for some sweet, sweet bracer points.

• Options
    Huh...only four chapters in this one. How many does the second have?

Also, so far I am...underwhelmed? I'm enjoying it, but the plot and writing aren't anything special, really. And the creepy anime brother/sister romance is still creepy and anime.I basically dread any time Estelle is alone with another girl.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

Also, so far I am...underwhelmed? I'm enjoying it, but the plot and writing aren't anything special, really. And the creepy anime brother/sister romance is still creepy and anime.I basically dread any time Estelle is alone with another girl.

SC has 9 chapters - I've finished three and started the fourth at 23 hours played.

Also, Estelle and Joshua met when they were around 11 years old AFAIK, and are not related in any real way. Reading Wikipedia article on Westermarck effect it seems that this sort of romance wouldn't be too odd in those circumstances.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Yeah. Cassius took in Joshua as a ward/adopted son when the two kids were 11 years old (Joshua being ~half a year younger than Estelle). They've only known each other for 5 years.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Yes, I know they're not "really" brother and sister, but the game absolutely introduces them as such in the prologue, with them referring to each other that way, and both of them calling Cassius dad.

I think it's weird and creepy and highly anime and nothing will change that opinion so nyah.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, it's slightly easier to swallow if they were 11 or so. It's called the Westermark effect if you want to look it up. Put simply, it's the mental psycho effect that happens between young kids growing up that makes them go "brother/sister/no touchy ick". It's only until you're like 6 years old though or something.

I doubt they actually put that much thought into it though, so *shrug*.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

SC has 9 chapters - I've finished three and started the fourth at 23 hours played.

Also, Estelle and Joshua met when they were around 11 years old AFAIK, and are not related in any real way. Reading Wikipedia article on Westermarck effect it seems that this sort of romance wouldn't be too odd in those circumstances.

There are inconsistencies with the Westermarck effect that I won't go into, but that aside it's still creepy, because "The brother and sister characters that it turns out were never actual brother and sister the whole time so it's totally okay if they go at it!" is an obnoxiously convenient loophole Japan loves to use when they want something incesty to be mainstream without directly being incesty and making their non-otaku audience uncomfortable. Ore no Imouto is a great example of this.

How far are you in so far? The first game starts off super slow, but really picks up after you hit the boss of Carnelia Tower and just goes into high gear from there.

• Options
    Guys seriously I know all of this.

Still think it's weird and creepy.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    @donnicton I just started the final chapter so not super far past carnelia tower.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Ore no Imouto is a great example of this.

Off-topic tangent, but I felt I should comment on this. That is one light novel series that doesn't follow the common Japanese rule of 'they're not blood related so it's okay'. That's an edit of the PSP Visual Novels that change the male MC to be adopted. In the original Japanese novels (and even shitter anime based upon them)? They're 100% siblings. Full blood relation. Also, the series is terrible anyways.

• Options
    So, question. I know a lot of the Trails in the Sky cast shows up in Zero/Blue, which are apparently the best written series/duology in the Trails series so far and the ones we're not getting (any time soon).

Do any of them show up in Trails of Cold Steel?

• Options
    Guys seriously I know all of this.

Still think it's weird and creepy.

I'd say that's perfectly normal response to it really, I was mostly just thinking aloud to myself why it doesn't feel very creepy to me .. just slightly. If this was a real relationship, I'd shake my head a bit, then shrug and figure it's none of my business in the end - nobody's harmed by it, it takes all kinds and all that jazz. Even easier to do when it is a fictional thing.

• Options
    Oh, Olivier...you're my favorite.

CesffGV.jpg

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Uggggggggggghhhhhhhh stealth missions

camo_sig2.png

• Options

Olivier is everyone's favorite.

• Options

Not Estelle's.

camo_sig2.png

• Options

Just suffer through them for now, they're super gone by the second game.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Just suffer through them for now, they're super gone by the second game.

Good. It wasn't too too bad at least. Only had to reload a few times.

camo_sig2.png

• Options

Scherazard is my favorite. All the good caster gear being female only in SC might have something to do with it. Also there's still no Happy Trigger 2 at lvl 60, 800 hp heal isn't doing much when everybody has 5k hp.

• Options
    mollehmolleh Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    About about the first game...
    Does the game ever get a little more of a serious/dramatic feel to it, or is it ALL light and fluffy? I've gone through the prologue and working my way through chapter 1 so far. It's been years since I played a JRPG (and even then I only played a few.. FF3, FF7, FF8, Valkyrie Profile..) so maybe I should have expected this, but it's so bright and cheery that I honestly don't think I can stomach to keep playing unless I know it takes a more serious turn soon.

molleh on
  • Options
    molleh wrote: »
    About about the first game...
    Does the game ever get a little more of a serious/dramatic feel to it, or is it ALL light and fluffy? I've gone through the prologue and working my way through chapter 1 so far. It's been years since I played a JRPG (and even then I only played a few.. FF3, FF7, FF8, Valkyrie Profile..) so maybe I should have expected this, but it's so bright and cheery that I honestly don't think I can stomach to keep playing unless I know it takes a more serious turn soon.

First game's about world building, don't expect it to until later. By the end of chapter 3 it will start gearing into the action.

• Options
    Oh no...this is the hardest choice I've ever had to make.

Do I take Schera and Olivier or Zane and Olivier?

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Oh no...this is the hardest choice I've ever had to make.

Do I take Schera and Olivier or Zane and Olivier?

Final Dungeon has lots of huuuuuge AoE chests with shitloads of enemies: a few strong and a lot weak. Oliver and Schera can AoE the shit out of them with magic (the attack everything on the entire screen Earth spell worked good for me on Oliver). Characters like Joshua, Agate, and Zane have good supers to do massive damage to everything at 200%. Zane can also tank the shit out of all the things, being an immovable immortal giant, and confuse large targets with his single target Craft taking them out of the fight as they beat up their allies for you.

Up to you really.

• Options
    I went with Schera. Aero Storm (L-range wind spell) and the full-field Earth spell were godsends.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I just got back to Grancel in FC. I'm really glad I decided to replay the game. One, it gives me a chance to carry over 100% BP, but while I also apparently remember the story none of it was front of mind. It'll be nice going into SC with all the characters fresh in my memory.

• Options
    I went with Schera. Aero Storm (L-range wind spell) and the full-field Earth spell were godsends.

Nice.

I did it with Oliver + Zane. Oliver and Joshua cased massive AoE spells (though Joshua would also use his AoE turn reducer as well when needed). Estelle was my physical god using hurricane and single target stuff and handling most of the heals. And Zane walked his immortal ass into the middle of enemies and Confused all the big guys with his fists.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    So...I'm pretty sure the ending had the exact opposite of the intended effect on me. I could not stop rolling my eyes.

Nice.

I did it with Oliver + Zane. Oliver and Joshua cased massive AoE spells (though Joshua would also use his AoE turn reducer as well when needed). Estelle was my physical god using hurricane and single target stuff and handling most of the heals. And Zane walked his immortal ass into the middle of enemies and Confused all the big guys with his fists.

I should have reviewed my Orbments before the last boss, really. It was weird when the most powerful spell I had was a single target water one. It didn't do a whole lot more than the AoEs (about 600+ compared to 550+) but still.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Is your run Max BP? If you got full Bracer Points you get a pretty sweet early reward in SC.

It's an Orbment that increased drop rates by 30%. That's additive. If a drop was 1% it's now 31%.

• Options
    Yup, I got max BP. On the fence about SC though...I liked FC well enough, but I'm not sure I liked it as much as most people. I thought the story was fairly bog standard with a dumb as fuck, Shyamalan worthy, "twist" at the end. Really enjoyed everyone that wasn't Estelle or Joshua, and liked the battle system though. I might pick it up.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Yup, I got max BP. On the fence about SC though...I liked FC well enough, but I'm not sure I liked it as much as most people. I thought the story was fairly bog standard with a dumb as fuck, Shyamalan worthy, "twist" at the end. Really enjoyed everyone that wasn't Estelle or Joshua, and liked the battle system though. I might pick it up.

The battle system gets a few more mechanical additions and they really start forcing you to be better at it in SC.

And SC is all about the plot where FC was about worldbuilding.

Sad that you didn't like FC's ending though. :(

• Options

The battle system gets a few more mechanical additions and they really start forcing you to be better at it in SC.

I think if they had just introduced a new character, rather than try to sell "Hey, that silly professor you saw in a few quests is actually the EVIL MASTERMIND responsible for literally every bad thing that's happened in the country!" I'd have liked it a bit more. The evil mastermind thing is still dumb, but at least a new character wouldn't have been as "WHAT A TWEEST" as making another character secretly evil. And trying to justify it with "You were always in the area when someone had had their memories altered!" was just as dumb. Dorothy and Nial were always there, too! Are they also evil masterminds in hiding?

...oh my god please tell me Dorothy isn't secretly evil.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Times like this I wish there was a disagree button.

• Options

Granted I'm playing on Normal, but I haven't really felt that combat is any more complicated or difficult in SC at all. Chain art is nice but I rarely use it and that's about it for new stuff, right?

SC does build very heavily on FC and revisiting all the same places is well done. Not a big fan of the villains though, they are all very anime for sure.

• Options
    Times like this I wish there was a disagree button.

That's the great thing about opinions!

Still, for all I didn't like it, I am enjoying talking about it, so the game clearly managed to do something right, there.

camo_sig2.png

• Options

I think if they had just introduced a new character, rather than try to sell "Hey, that silly professor you saw in a few quests is actually the EVIL MASTERMIND responsible for literally every bad thing that's happened in the country!" I'd have liked it a bit more. The evil mastermind thing is still dumb, but at least a new character wouldn't have been as "WHAT A TWEEST" as making another character secretly evil. And trying to justify it with "You were always in the area when someone had had their memories altered!" was just as dumb. Dorothy and Nial were always there, too! Are they also evil masterminds in hiding?

...oh my god please tell me Dorothy isn't secretly evil.

Now you'll have to play SC to see what Dorothy does next. :P

• Options
    Evil or not wouldn't change Dorothy's status as best girl.

• Options
    Dorothy gets to be best girl just for being the only NPC that actually does something beyond drag battles out by walking slowly into the path of oncoming enemies.

camo_sig2.png