As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

C is for [chat]

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    That's a lot of cheetos.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    The love affair of the Catholic Church with mortification is kind of fucked up. So many saints who practiced it and are loved for it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Some how someone gained access to my account probably though my brother using my account and they suspended it, this was like a long time ago. I just havent bothered to get it fixed because its a pain/imlazy

hes been buying games on his account so im using his.

• Options
    poshniallo wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    why do I let myself argue with nationalists

Geez, Ronya, really?

@21stcentury

Believe me, I am hardly going to be righteously demanding that a majority culture cease to enforce its domination on a minority culture.

It's the self-righteous preening that gets to me. The smiling insistence that this is for your own good, don't you know, that the state must most regretfully harass your businesses and your schools and prevent you from setting up any new businesses or schools because that would be colonialism, don't you want to integrate? And that anything resistance is hateful bigotry against them because, don't you know, the British brought your great-grandfathers here and no matter what, no matter whether we give you citizenship and an ID card and let you keep your schools and neighbourhoods and churches for now, you will always, and forever, be guests here in our homeland. We stand equal as citizens - as long you obey us always. And in the thoroughly unfortunate event that you defy us, well, we will come with our knives and expel you from this land forever.

Because this is Malaysia, and it is the homeland of the Malays.

But don't worry, we will definitely be thoroughly reasonable in arbitrating any disputes when we outnumber you nine to one instead of two to one.

Shit, 21st Century is a Malaysian kleptocrat!

I did not know that.

Rule one of discussions of nationalism: use examples in other countries.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

Geez, Ronya, really?
    Believe me, I am hardly going to be righteously demanding that a majority culture cease to enforce its domination on a minority culture.

It's the self-righteous preening that gets to me. The smiling insistence that this is for your own good, don't you know, that the state must most regretfully harass your businesses and your schools and prevent you from setting up any new businesses or schools because that would be colonialism, don't you want to integrate? And that anything resistance is hateful bigotry against them because, don't you know, the British brought your great-grandfathers here and no matter what, no matter whether we give you citizenship and an ID card and let you keep your schools and neighbourhoods and churches for now, you will always, and forever, be guests here in our homeland. We stand equal as citizens - as long you obey us always. And in the thoroughly unfortunate event that you defy us, well, we will come with our knives and expel you from this land forever.

But don't worry, we will definitely be thoroughly reasonable in arbitrating any disputes when we outnumber you nine to one instead of two to one.

I think you're projecting a lot about the Quebec issues.

Possibly. But, conversely, I think you're failing to be objective.

You, at least, are aware that the linguistic nationalism isn't quite as pure in thought as one would prefer - that there is some scrabbling around for excuses to harass people who, inconveniently, do speak French. Therefore: headdress laws. But I was quite stunned when notdroid whipped out "masters in our own home" and then said that it isn't based in xenophobia and racism.

Well, it's not, actually, about xenophobia in that context. have you read his post?

This was said in a time period where the high earners were anglophones and where francophones were not even allowed to get promotions and refused service for speaking french. Not for not speaking english, but for speaking French in the first place.

The French Canadians have been an underclass for a loooong-ass time since the British won the war.

i mean, i don't see what's so abhorrent about forcing public services to serve Francophones when Francophones are the majority in the province. Especially when, historically, being a Francophone was reason enough to refuse service.

21stCentury on
  • Options

Geez, Ronya, really?

You, at least, are aware that the linguistic nationalism isn't quite as pure in thought as one would prefer - that there is some scrabbling around for excuses to harass people who, inconveniently, do speak French. Therefore: headdress laws. But I was quite stunned when notdroid whipped out "masters in our own home" and then said that it isn't based in xenophobia and racism.

Well, it's not, actually, about xenophobia in that context. have you read his post?

This was said in a time period where the high earners were anglophones and where francophones were not even allowed to get promotion and refused service for speaking french. Not for not speaking english, but for speaking French in the first place.

The French Canadians have been an underclass for a loooong-ass time since the British won the war.

i mean, i don't see what's so abhorrent about forcing public services to serve Francophones when Francophones are the majority in the province. Especially when, historically, being a Francophone was reason enough to refuse service.

aaaand?

I mean, there's a reason I invoked this marvellously analagous situation.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I have a hard time believing someone would do that and the picture is unrelated to the story. You wouldn't be able to eat them fast enough before they got stale!

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Geez, Ronya, really?

This was said in a time period where the high earners were anglophones and where francophones were not even allowed to get promotion and refused service for speaking french. Not for not speaking english, but for speaking French in the first place.

aaaand?

What can i say, i'm dense.

What is abhorrent about forcing public services to serve francophones in french and what's the optimal situation?

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

Geez, Ronya, really?

@21stcentury

Shit, 21st Century is a Malaysian kleptocrat!

I did not know that.

Rule one of discussions of nationalism: use examples in other countries.

I just meant you could dial back the snark.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    People who enjoy the Soap Opera Effect on new TV's are the worst kind of people.

Shit even if you aren't bothered by it, this still makes you horrible.
    are you talking about LCDs/LEDs? Plasma 4 lyfe

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I have a hard time believing someone would do that and the picture is unrelated to the story. You wouldn't be able to eat them fast enough before they got stale!

maybe you couldn't

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    (I don't know what's happening)

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    (Mommy and daddy are fighting, let's go to my room, shut the door, and play SNES)

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    jesus christ that burger and chips was good

this oreo milkshake is godlike too

also i like potato

that is vegetable chu

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    THIS F****** WART ON MY KNEE. You guys have NO IDEA.
    could be worse

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular

also i like potato

that is vegetable chu
    flP0ftk.jpg

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    People who enjoy the Soap Opera Effect on new TV's are the worst kind of people.

Shit even if you aren't bothered by it, this still makes you horrible.
    are you talking about LCDs/LEDs? Plasma 4 lyfe

He's talking about 240 hz interpolation and shit

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    So much blood. Send help.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    i'm gonna sound like i'm a racist asshole parading his black friend for saying this but...

There's a fairly big Chinese hospital in Montreal, near the chinatown...

There's various schools catering to various ethnocultural groups in Montreal.

Same with churches and other religious centers...

Like, there's some racist assholes here, but they're not yet to the point where they're preventing people from getting services...

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    scheck please tell me you like some vegetables

ketchup

Mr7QmHB.png

I've seen that line in at least one other place.

Boooooooo.

• Options
    Motion interpolation tech is horrible, but aversion to high frame rate video is totes old man get off my lawn shit.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'm vonfounded that they're actually pushing for 4k tbs now

• Options
    4K TBS so you can see every pore on ray romano's face.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    i luv bad bitches

that's not really my main problem but it's definitely up there.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Motion interpolation tech is horrible, but aversion to high frame rate video is totes old man get off my lawn shit.

120/144hz gamin is fukin amazin

it is so silkyyyyyyyy

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Seeing the 80 inch 4k tvs in person was like holeee shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

• Options
    edited September 2013
    4K is beautiful but it's the sort of thing that's gonna be a ridiculously hard sell in the living room. People don't want 100"+ TVs and who gives a shit about resolution your eye can't even resolve. GIVE ME 4K COMPUTER MONITORS PLS.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I need a 30 inch 4k display

SUCH TINY PIXELS

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I mean, don't get me wrong, 4K is beautiful.

But you need an 80 inch or greater set and you need to sit within 8 feet of that monstrosity to benefit from it.

Now, a desktop monitor I can sit within a foot of that is 27" and has 5620x2880 pixels? Yes please.
    that is a wallpaper size in the upcoming OSX release, and all my dicks came when I saw that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    lol, you silly geese, buying into 4K.

i'm waiting on the 8K TVs.

• Options
    I want 4K displays for PCs and reasonable resolution independence support in Windows (Mac OS X already has it, get owned PC).

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    And now I have an autographed cd. Woo.

• Options

Geez, Ronya, really?

aaaand?

What can i say, i'm dense.

What is abhorrent about forcing public services to serve francophones in french and what's the optimal situation?

There is nothing abhorrent about that, actually. The obvious question is whether the minority Anglophones will served in English, and whether they will continue to be served in English in the future, after decades of demographic engineering with the deliberate end of ensuring Francophone dominance in the political process.

Even failing to do that is not necessarily problematic, conditional on some self-awareness that one is, in fact, trying to remove a minority culture because it's not part of your national identity. It is one thing to harass people into emigration via threats and hostility and a thousand cuts on your businesses and schools; it is quite another to do so while patting yourself on the back for how kind you are whilst doing so.

Sometimes the gains from cultural engineering are enormous, and it may be well worth pursuing forced assimilation just to avoid decades of simmering violence. As I said, I am hardly going to say that this is inherently vile. It's the hypocrisy that I find repellent. At the very least, the awareness that you are doing something that imposes large costs on your ethnic minority should deter you from hand-wringing about the ill-treatment your great-grandfathers got.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

this is an interesting thing to read out of context

• Options
    I just meant you could dial back the snark.

I'll try.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

also i like potato

that is vegetable chu
    what do you get when you cross a potato and an elephant

mashed potato

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

Seriously you guys if I posted a picture of my knee right now it would be NSFW.

D:

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

Seriously you guys if I posted a picture of my knee right now it would be NSFW.

D:

link to it and mark it clearly?

This discussion has been closed.