As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Aus 2014 Rego Now Open!

VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine.Registered User regular
edited November 2013 in Social Entropy++
Hey so Australia's election is tomorrow! Remember: vote below the line and make sure you get there early to get some free sausage sizzle - I hear they run out super fast.

(Here is a map with all the sausage sizzles happening at various polling locations: http://www.electionsausagesizzle.com.au/)

THE CANDIDATES

Kevin Rudd
kevin-rudd404_676796c.jpg
Current leader of the Labor Party and recently re-instated Prime Minister. Seriously, it's like musical chairs over there. Bit of an egomaniac, but hey he's at least willing to lay a smackdown or two when it comes to people whining about how he supports marriage equality. Backed by himself and barely anyone else it seems. Wants to stop the boats by diverting them away from Australia for settlement in places like Nauru and Papua New Guinea.

Tony Abbott
220px-Tony_Abbott_-_2010.jpg
Current leader of the Liberal Party and an all-round misogynist, homophobe, and creeper. Also doesn't really get how the internet or climate change works. Also has the personality of a sack of wet bricks. Backed by rich old white men like Rupert Murdoch. Wants to stop the boats better than K-Rudd does by replacing "Nauru and Papua New Guinea" with "Manus."

Christine Milne
828451-christine-milne.jpg
Current leader of the Greens. I literally do not know much more about her than that because no one talks about anyone outside of Labor or Liberal. But the Greens support marriage equality, action on climate change, and not being a bunch of xenophobic racists. But they don't seem to give much of a fuck about infrastructure or service provision, or at least they haven't highlighted any major policies addressing these directly. Occasionally accused of being a bunch of hippies.

Clive Palmer
I know nothing about this guy or his self-named party apart from him being a portly white man who talks very fast about cycling money through the economy and starting a "revolution." He also wants to build a second Titanic.

Those are seriously the only four candidates I can bother mentioning at this stage because the rest are an odd assortment of everything under the sun.

PREFERENTIAL VOTING
Not sure how voting works and want to familiarise yourself before tomorrow? Or are you a foreigner who doesn't know what "preferential voting" means?

web-500-cant-waste-vote-01.png

Full comic in the spoiler!
web-700-cant-waste-vote-SINGLE-IMAGE.png

CONTROVERSY IN A SERIES OF LINKS
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/when-stephanie-got-her-facts-wrong-one-nation-candidate-makes-gaffe-after-gaffe-in-tv-interview-20130808-2rive.html
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-29/abbott-tells-netballers-to-make-body-contact/4920870
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/asylum-seeker-child-tries-to-take-his-life-in-detention/story-e6frg6nf-1226705301560
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-03/tv-networks-refuse-to-run-getup-anti-murdoch-ad/4932542
http://theconversation.com/can-australia-afford-the-coalitions-nbn-17494

... and so much more.

THE SE++ VOTER'S ROSTER
PERTH
Vivixenne, Blake T, Butler, Waka Laka, Kincaid, Dublo7, chrishallettbunchanumbers, BigKev, noobert, AJR, flynnie, Dhalphir, desperaterobots, PixelMonkey, Tallweirdo, Tef, Anzekay, Samuelson, RocketScience, CuZZa, webofink, EmbracethePing, Vegemyte

SYDNEY
Oden, Air, Tweaked_Bat_, bsjezz, Prohass, Gatsby, Ambassador, TrueHereticX, TheSquid, Flay, HyperBallad, Jintor, Seguer, Aegeri, stimtokolos, Lalabox, pimento

MELBOURNE
Synthetic Orange, Cyvros, YaYa, grug, ruzkin, Mr Fuzzbutt, Hitsuraptor, LaCabra, The Boy Satellite, Unlucky, SorC, Cobalt60

BRISBANE
Flyingman, Avicus, SwissLion, Crimson King, joshua11, Lorahalo, PaperLuigi44

CANBERRA
The Black Hunter, marty_0001, Chronocide

OTHER NEAT PEOPLE IN AUSTRALIA
- Glorfindel (Gold Coast)
- bezerk bob (Toowoomba)
- Veldrin (Darwin)

ACTUAL AUSTRALIANS WHO ARE NOT IN AUSTRALIA (BUT PROBABLY WISH THEY WERE)
- tynic
- Tube
- #pipe

2011 HONORARY AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR
- Wimble

2012 HONORARY AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR
- Wimble

AWESOME KIWIS WHO ARE AWESOME
- Fishman
- lonelyahava
- KiraKiraKira
- Fletcher
- Katat
- L|ama

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
Vivixenne on

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Friend of mine on Facebook apparently got this in the mail

1262929_10151574905251898_611666871_o.jpg[

Fucking awful. At least it makes sure you know who not to vote for.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Christine Milne
    828451-christine-milne.jpg

Well she's got my vote.

broken image link
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Where does one purchase a jacket with a polar bear on it?

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    somewhere in Canberra, probably

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    reposting from the other thread:

@vivixenne @Blake T @Pixelmonkey @tef @kincaid

D&D on sunday. How's 3PM or so sound? Is anyone willing to host (I can't sorry guys). It'd be nice to get confirmation soon, so I can organise a good 5-6 hours worth of stuff before then, and make sure your character sheets are all sorted and here and up-to-date.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    we could probably host it but I'd have to ask Blake

otherwise the time suits me fine

• Options
    also @lonelyahava regarding your other posts

I really don't know that Perth is going to have a better real estate market than what you're getting where you are now; in fact all indicators point to it being very bad at the moment

like, houses are more expensive now because interest rates are the lowest they've been in ages

then tack on the fact that Perth has very few affordable options within 20km of the CBD

I ain't saying don't come here, I'm just saying you'd need a bunch of really good reasons to want to come here unless you've secured employment prior to moving

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Vote 1 Future Party.

• Options
    KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    @Vivixenne
    May as well move me to the list of Melbournites.

Gonna miss my Perth peeps.

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Vote 1 Future Party.

What's up with their magical city they want to build between Canberra and Sydney?

Other than that though they seem cool

• Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    @vivixenne @Blake T @Anzekay @tef @kincaid
    3pm is fine for me.

• Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Friend of mine on Facebook apparently got this in the mail

1262929_10151574905251898_611666871_o.jpg[

Fucking awful. At least it makes sure you know who not to vote for.

What is this bullshit? Two good loving parents equals two good loving parents.

PixelMonkey on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Jintor wrote: »
    Vote 1 Future Party.

What's up with their magical city they want to build between Canberra and Sydney?

Other than that though they seem cool

Huh I must've missed that part when I was skimming their policy page. I dunno!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Did someone tell them gay marriage is fueled by the bones of children or something?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    laughed for a solid five minutes at "beremy scumbum"

also is bob katter still around

i think we should incorporate them all into the queensland party and then throw them off a bridge

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I did a postal vote already, this election's senate ballot is perhaps the stupidest one I have ever seen. It had over 90 candidates with probably less than a fifth of those seeming like legitimate non-bullshit. It is so absurd as to almost immune to parody.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    sigh

guess I'm voting Greens

sure would like some infrastructure!

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Vote for Pedro

I mean wait hang on what year is this

• Options
    CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    qN1Mo2x.jpg

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    The Greens have just straight dropped off the radar since Bob Brown left.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Vote for Wakkun!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Viv, yeah

I was more just looking for some distraction from reality for a bit and I'd already exhausted trademe.

But I appreciate the heads up.

• Options
    bezerk bobbezerk bob Registered User regular
    Vote Palmer and have dinosaur theme parks and replica titanics as far as the eye can see.

You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are. -- Colonel Adolphus Busch
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Did someone tell them gay marriage is fueled by the bones of children or something?

The irony being if it wasn't for Abbot (Head of the Liberals) a conscious vote in Parliament would probably see Gay Marriage succeed easily (regardless of what party was in control at the time).

It feels to me like no matter who wins the election this weekend, we lose. Though the Liberals trying to sneak by an internet filter has me very worried what else they are trying to sneak by.

Edit: Also if you Aussie folk here would like to try playing a one off game of Trail of Cthulhu, I would be very interested in running one here in Sydney.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Kincaid wrote: »
    @Vivixenne
    May as well move me to the list of Melbournites.

Gonna miss my Perth peeps.

NOT YET

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I voted at the Australian Embassy in Vancouver last week and it was the easiest and quickest vote I've ever cast.

And yeah the senate poll is fucking ridiculous.

There is literally a party called "Stop the Greens"

• Options
    does anyone know which NBN plan the Greens support?

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    It's actually really interesting to read through the senate candidates http://www.aec.gov.au/election/who-are-the-candidates.htm paying attention to their occupations.

For a lot of them the Golgafrincham B Ark from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy comes to mind.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I voted at the Australian Embassy in Vancouver last week and it was the easiest and quickest vote I've ever cast.

And yeah the senate poll is fucking ridiculous.

There is literally a party called "Stop the Greens"

The fact that all the other parties hate the Greens with a passion means they must be doing something right.

broken image link
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    does anyone know which NBN plan the Greens support?

They support labor's plan.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    So, how boned are you Australian-types

I'm done with American elections (ha ha I wish)

what does the rest of the world offer

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Democracy must be stopped.

• Options
    pretty boned

lots of polls showing Abbott winning

which would be not so good a thing if you are not a man, straight, white, or over 40

• Options
    edited September 2013
    to quote back-in-the-day Viv, democracy is really only excellent when more than 50% of your population aren't stupid or bigoted

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    is Clive Palmer the same guy who's building Titanic II

because I find it hilarious that he's mega-rich enough to do that and is also running for office

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Yup, he's the one. I have no idea how someone who sounds so stupid made so much money.

We got a Titanic II DVD in the mail that my mum is keeping for posterity.

Flay on
  • Options
    SorCSorC Registered User regular
    We're pretty boned. We basically have 2 bad options and the option that's worse in terms of progressive policy is the one that's polling better.

11776-1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    oh also - Bob Katter popped up on the news a few weeks ago when he came out in support of some musician or footy player running for MP

he was asked the marriage equality question

his answer was basically "I'd like to focus my attention on more important issues if that's all right with you"

that made me grumpy for quite a while and I'm pretty sure I yelled CHECK YO PRIVILEGE at the TV

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Clive Palmer seems like a rich guy who got really drunk one night and started ranting about how could rule this country and just never really sobered up.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    pretty boned

lots of polls showing Abbott winning

which would be not so good a thing if you are not a man, straight, white, or over 40

don't forget independantly wealthy!

This discussion has been closed.