As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlestar Galactica: Beyond the Red Line demo released!

• Options
    Unknown TargetUnknown Target Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Top right of the screen says "Skip Training". And I wouldn't know about your second question, you'll have to ask on the main forums like you said :)

Unknown Target on
  • Options
    deltasdeltas Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    fucking awesome, i kinda forgot about this

get it while it's not cease-and-desisted guys

deltas on
    2b1cae4d81b80fa87fa61a9e1edb788b.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hehe :)

Also, Bloods, did you try running at 1024x768? See if that works.

Unknown Target on
  • Options
    AndoCommando82AndoCommando82 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Top right of the screen says "Skip Training". And I wouldn't know about your second question, you'll have to ask on the main forums like you said :)
    Which screen... during training or on the briefing screen?

AndoCommando82 on
    SuicideisPainlessAvatar.jpg
  • Options
    The_RatThe_Rat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Beyond the nice visuals, the most impressive thing about this mod is the fact that the voice actors don't sound like stumbly-mumbly programmers attempting to act.

I'm liking this. It captures the feel of the battlestar dogfights really well.

The_Rat on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ando: During the briefing screen.

Rat: Thank you :)

Unknown Target on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    So far my only problem with the game is that it's hard to kill people using a mouse, but that just means that I have an excuse to use the numpad. I like spinning.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yay my team won a 2v2 mining game.

I got 4 kills and 1 death.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    deltasdeltas Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    so i guess i didn't shoot asteroids enough or something because then some people started dying offscreen and now grover is yelling at me in debrief

oh well

deltas on
    2b1cae4d81b80fa87fa61a9e1edb788b.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Boourns, I ran out of ammo when trying to take down Fractal 4 in part 2 of the mining mission. I spent 10 minutes trying to lure him into a cave hoping he'd crash before he finally got me.

AndoCommando82 on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Boourns, I ran out of ammo when trying to take down Fractal 4 in part 2 of the mining mission. I spent 10 minutes trying to lure him into a cave hoping he'd crash before he finally got me.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that this is happening to.

area on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    area wrote: »

Not having missiles made available doesn't help either.

AndoCommando82 on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Same happened to me, but I just high-tailed it back to the mining ship and had my wingman pounce him for the final shots.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is there a way to invert your up/down on a mouse? I've been trying to find it in the control options, but no luck so far.

Other than that though, this looks fantastic I must say, and the voice acting definitely helps give it a quality feel.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Is there a way to invert your up/down on a mouse? I've been trying to find it in the control options, but no luck so far.

Other than that though, this looks fantastic I must say, and the voice acting definitely helps give it a quality feel.
    Under the ship controls options, invert the Y axis. It's the 4th or 5th from the bottom, I think, and there's an invert button on the bottom of the screen.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

Same happened to me, but I just high-tailed it back to the mining ship and had my wingman pounce him for the final shots.
    Yeah, I tried that but he had like 40% left and Blue 3 was being completely worthless. I ran around and tried to hide until he shot me down finally.

AndoCommando82 on
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is there any way to skip the tutorial? I am using the 360 controller, and it's awfully annoying to have to go back and forth to the keyboard constantly because there are way too many commands for the controller.

Also, and I should probably ask this at the official forums... but, the triggers, right analog, and start/back don't function on the 360 controller, which would be quite helpful. Any plans to work on this?
    The triggers work, but only on certain things. it won't let you assign a button press to an axis, so you can put acceleration on the triggers, but not something like fire primary weapons. And the right analog is weird, mind registers the up and down, but not side to side.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ohh...must download

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Goomba wrote:
    Under the ship controls options, invert the Y axis. It's the 4th or 5th from the bottom, I think, and there's an invert button on the bottom of the screen.

Muchas gracias senor!

Okay, I've played through the demo. So far I'm impressed.

Some mild criticisms - the general speed on the vipers didn't quite feel right somehow. I think the way the asteroids (especially the large ones) would move past very slowly had something to do with that. The speed and maneuverability with which the cylons move however, seems damn near perfect. Second, there were parts were the recorded dialogue audio was missing and as a result it defaulted to using a computerized sounding voice that just sounded like somebody's old speak and spell toy.

Aside from that however, I was really impressed with the visuals, the pacing of the missions and especially the sound/look of the viper's weapons. I got chills down my spine the first time I fired those autocannons. Suffice to say, I greatly look forward to seeing what the finished product is like.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Just had a fun 12 man deathmatch in the asteroid field.

Ships constantly zipping around and strafing each other, I love matching speeds right behind someone.

Pretty fun stuff.

score.jpg

I had the second highest score to the host, who did thoroughly trounce everyone else, but eh. It was my first deathmatch.

It's pretty exhilarating to just jump into a writhing mass of 5-6 ships zooming in and out of each other.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I tried it some but holy crap it's hard with the keyboard. I couldn't figure out how to get the mouse to work. The voice acting was good from what I heard, except two people. The first was the guy giving the briefing. The whole southern accent sounded forced. And then you had the woman with a second briefing before the tutorial began. She was pretty horrendous. She kept pausing and raising or lowering the tone of her voice inappropriately. If only I could get the mouse to work, I'd go back and try it again. It's hard to maneuver otherwise.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I played it with a PS2 controller. Good stuff, but the controls were a little too sensitive for the small ships.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    I tried it some but holy crap it's hard with the keyboard. I couldn't figure out how to get the mouse to work. The voice acting was good from what I heard, except two people. The first was the guy giving the briefing. The whole southern accent sounded forced. And then you had the woman with a second briefing before the tutorial began. She was pretty horrendous. She kept pausing and raising or lowering the tone of her voice inappropriately. If only I could get the mouse to work, I'd go back and try it again. It's hard to maneuver otherwise.

What's your problem with the mouse? Did you hit F2 and enable it?

Here's also a thread for everyone else that solves some common problems (doesn't have anything related to your problem Dashui :( ):
    http://game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3494

Unknown Target on
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Impressions?

Ok. I've got a full HOTAS set up just so you know.

Second mission after tutorial.

Ore refiner starts to dock with the asteroid. I'm letting the radio chatter just fade into the background noise, more interested in that fading red dot the FL told us to take a shot at if possible. I figure the missions scripted to not let me catch him and the radio chatter fades back into focus with FL off to go kill some baddies. A flight comes in and I drop focus on radio only hearing occasional screams of frustration from FL.

I key up targets and pass assignments to my wingmen - boosting up high and hard into the third bird in. The suns glare makes it hard to see, but these guys must be first gen cylons (no deaths) and become easy meat. Auto Match ON and boosters bring me up on them easy, and the bird rattles while the rounds stream from my guns. The cylons are hitting the refiner so the first one is extra easy as a kill. We streak across the refiners hull and brilliant flashes from my rounds light up the ships panels spectacularly, seconds later the cylon also lights up spectacularly. Lock onto the next, no fancy maneuvers, just slide in behind, roll to orient and he goes off to find a clone body. Wing three has been chirping none stop, his voice almost as full of bravado bullshit as FL and it's pissing me off, but tuning it out doesn't keep me from hearing that wing two has died. "Damn" he says, "That was a fine piece of ass."

I tick him off to add to my 'accidental friendly fire' list. Then FL buys it and punches out. No word from the brit, who's easily my favorite pilot. Command reports a rescue op dispatch. I curse and burn hot after the third, no scratch that, the thirds just been killed by my wing. I switch over to the fourth and race him around the asteroid, ducking in and out of crevices, the constant flashing into and out of the intense sunlight burning my eyes and making it hard to see. But I do see, and he dies.

Command orders a look see for the brit, my wing pussies, which by looking at his ship was actually justified (I'm at 98% at this point), but it still increases my want to put a bullet down his cockpit with the way he chickenshits.

I go hunting. For the first time in mission I found myself stroking the missile volley toggle - we didn't get missiles on this one, but I found myself really wishing for some.

There.

In the shadow of the asteroid, something's venting gas.

"Ok" I think, "there he is, I need to see if he's alive..." Fumbling my targeting controls I didn't see the cylon burst from the shadows, but I sure as hell heard the missile lock warning blare. I lived only because he was greedy and unloaded his entire missile paylod at a bad angle. Nothing hit, but the missiles orbited my ship for awhile. I looked at the cylon and we both blinked. Then with a shrug we went at it.

This guy, this guy was good, better than me. I couldn't maintain a lead on him and I got the impression that I really didn't want to slow down enough to try to get on his tail. I thought he might just be able to sit on my six and kill me quick if I tried it.

The other option was trickier. I started snapping the free orient on and off, and in the brief second that he was suddenly dead center in my sights I blazed away. I wasn't doing much and I was literally sweating, snapping the aim just right for the shot was difficult and I was down to 10% ammo before the fight started. In addition, his speed let him flip over on me and shoot me at the same time I as shooting him. We both just kept nicking each other, then he'd close I'd lock to his tail, lose it and free orient again to snap - sending my ship into another direction. Finally I'd decided it was enough and snapped to him, leaving free orient on and keeping my nose too him for his front on pass. If I was the better aim the fight would be over. If not...

He took off into the shadow of a smaller asteroid then turned, about 1200 klicks out. He came on, engine screaming, guns blazing and I lined up the target - I had a feeling this particular cylon might be named Scar. I squeezed the trigger watching my tracers fly at the oncoming ships cockpit.

It was then that the back of my fighter smashed into the asteroid I was fast approaching but didn't see because I was turned around in free orient.

Mission over.

All I can say is: FRACK!

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Best. Sitewhore. Ever.

etoychest can only regain the title with a podcast interview with Dirk Benedict.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Best. Sitewhore. Ever.

etoychest can only regain the title with a podcast interview with God.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Best. Sitewhore. Ever.

etoychest can only regain the title with a podcast interview with Dirk Benedict.

Hey, if you're gonna do something you might as well be the best at it, I say :D

EDIT: By the way, if you feel the need to/want us to really take off, please do Digg us :)
    http://digg.com/gaming_news/Beyond_the_Red_Line_Freespace2_Battlestar_Mod_Demo_Released

Unknown Target on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    anyone interested in some multiplayer? i'm interested to try this a little more.

edit: although when i go on the multiplayer option, i don't see any active games. Is no-one actually playing at all in the world, or are my settings just borked?

edit the second: i see i need to do some updating and shtuff to get it to work. Dang, yo.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I tried it out and it was fun as hell. One question though:
    Is it possible to shoot down the souped up Raider in the end of the last mission?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    well i think i just dropped off the server i was trying to play on, but if someone wants to throw one up, i'd be more than happy for a dogfight.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I played the gauntlet like a million times. Please let there be good co-op missions like this in the actual retail release. This co-op has so much potential. It wasn't laggy, ran great with tons of people flying all over the place.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I tried it out and it was fun as hell. One question though:
    Is it possible to shoot down the souped up Raider in the end of the last mission?

No, he jumps out at 35%

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Just played the first 2 missions (training and the asteroid mission) and I'm really liking it. I think it's going to take a while before I get the controls rebound to my satisfaction. On that note, are there any commands that aren't used (or are used very sporadically) in Beyond The Red Line? I'm thinking specifically of some of the targeting commands, such as "Next Subsystem", etc.

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

I.... think they were trying to replicate Starbuck's voice. I'm not sure. I don't think she was CAG of the Pegasus during the Scar events, though.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My controls either don't work or pitch is fuxord. Uncontrolled SPIN IS FUN. I geuss I should get a joystick, this game looks so awesome.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    so, I need help. Im am terrible at flight sims, space sims, flying games in general...

I end up just flying in a circle spinning to catch up with my target while barely getting oppertunities to fire uppon it.

And then the slightest change in my targets flight path throws me off completely.

I have pretty good twitch reactions in other games, so Im not sure its my reactions, I think its just I have no brains for pew pew combat...

So, PA forums, I ask you, give me a lesson in space sim combat. How should I approach enemies, how can I successfully get behind them and target them without them losing me in a quick jerk of their stick?

I got pwned on the first mission of the demo on the hardest setting.

I didnt mind dying a ton in freespace cause, i was cool with that. But Ill be damned if im gunna sit back and let some toaster frak me up all day! Please help.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    Guardian LegendGuardian Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Awesome mod! I love glide fighting inside Scar's asteroid in multiplayer. I hope the TV show creators get their hands on this and give the dev team jobs!

That being said, I think it'd be great if there was an option to slow down the combat somehow. (And I don't mean half speed time compression) The game seems very fast paced and too much to handle for average Joe Gamer. Not for me though, i'm a space sim pro ;-)

A slowed down combat system wouldn't be true to the show as much, I know, but it would go a long way to expanding the game's appeal, IMHO.

Guardian Legend on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Disrupter wrote: »
    so, I need help. Im am terrible at flight sims, space sims, flying games in general...

I end up just flying in a circle spinning to catch up with my target while barely getting oppertunities to fire uppon it.

And then the slightest change in my targets flight path throws me off completely.

I have pretty good twitch reactions in other games, so Im not sure its my reactions, I think its just I have no brains for pew pew combat...

So, PA forums, I ask you, give me a lesson in space sim combat. How should I approach enemies, how can I successfully get behind them and target them without them losing me in a quick jerk of their stick?

I didnt mind dying a ton in freespace cause, i was cool with that. But Ill be damned if im gunna sit back and let some toaster frak me up all day! Please help.
    Short answer since I'm in class right now: Learn to match speed with your target. Otherwise you'll overshoot him all the time.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »

Short answer since I'm in class right now: Learn to match speed with your target. Otherwise you'll overshoot him all the time.

Gliding helps too.

Also lowering your difficulty settings.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Wow, ok. I didn't want to bump this from the page beyond because I wasn't sure of PA's policy of bumping threads that had dropped off the front page, and I didn't want to be a whoring nuisance :p:D

Anyway, tips for dogfighting: if you're in a close in fight, use your thrusters. Cut your throttle and hold the Z key (for reverse), and use your thrusters to sharpen your turn (if you're pulling up, thrust down, etc). Or thrust off to the side to get an angled shot on his entire fuselage (the rears of most of the ships are hard to hit, but if you thrust up or down in a dogfight, you'll be presented with the entire ship :D).

Jacoby: All the shield commands (Q, and the arrow keys), aren't used in BtRL, as are the energy transfer commands.

CrumblyCracker: Not sure about that, ask on our forums maybe?

Athenor: We weren't, she's a seperate character :)

Unknown Target on