As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

i like it so i'd like to put a ring on it [Diamonds and such?]

fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell#BLMRegistered User regular
so you all don't have a completely context-less vacuum, i am in the market for a diamond ring. i'd like to avoid conflict or violence-tainted diamonds and am looking at lab-created or vintage diamonds. however, i have no freaking clue what i can trust in terms of all this "clarity" and "cut" and other nonsense.

i've already talked with...the person...for whom this ring is intended, and i have a good idea what this person...prefers. my issue now really is where i can go to shop for rings with good value while being trustworthy on the quality and conflict-free ends.

i suppose i'd like to hear about people's experiences in shopping for diamond rings for...unspecified purposes.

also, please no advice on diamond alternatives. we've had the conversation already and don't want to go the cubic zirconium, moissante, white sapphire, or other route.

ffNewSig.png
steam | Dokkan: 868846562

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    There is no such thing as a conflict-free diamond unless it has been made in a lab - and lab-made diamonds will not have the same physical properties that make natural diamonds so attractive. You'll have to make the ethical call yourself: do you value a sparkly trinket with an inflated value more than you value giving your money to what amounts to a criminal cartel?

This is one case where you cannot have your cake and eat it too, because the entire diamond market is held by DeBeers. If that doesn't matter to you, just go ahead and buy whatever diamond(s) you like, because 'conflict free' is meaningless jargon. If it does, you'll have to settle for an alternative like zirconium or artificially made diamonds (which, again, will not be the same as natural diamonds).

With Love and Courage
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Well, there's always..
    don't want to go the cubic zirconium, moissante, white sapphire, or other route.

Err, there ends my ability to help. I'd actually been hoping it might be on the table, as I'm pondering getting someone a moissanite ring myself (she doesn't care if it's cubic zirconia, but I like to aim a little higher).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-and-jewelry-education?track=NavDrawEdu

As for moral decisions, enjoy the wave of argument coming forth.

There are no good lab created diamonds that are actually diamonds.

What is this I don't even.
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Conflict-free and Good value may be mutually exclusive terms.

This was a friend's experience, more or less due what these guys have to say:
    http://www.brilliantearth.com/conflict-free-diamond-definition/

The short version is that 'Conflict-free' doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't pulled out of the ground by an 8 year old, at gunpoint, at the end of his 12 hour shift. Which means you're either not really getting the piece of mind you had hoped for, or you're paying a stiff premium for the product of a well regulated operation. I don't recall where they got their ring, but I think they said it was sourced in Alaska.

As for diamond ratings, wikipedia is your friend here:

Color: What color grade you're comfortable with is really up to you; there's a chart here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_color

Clarity: Speaks to little specks and spots inside the diamond (sometimes on the surface)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_clarity
    Flawless category (FL) diamonds have no inclusions or blemishes visible under 10x magnification.[2]
    Internally Flawless category (IF) diamonds have no inclusions visible under 10x magnification, only small blemishes on the diamond surface.[2]
    Very, Very Slightly Included category (VVS) diamonds have minute inclusions that are difficult for a skilled grader to see under 10x magnification.[2] The VVS category is divided into two grades; VVS1 denotes a higher clarity grade than VVS2. Pinpoints and needles set the grade at VVS.[1]
    Very Slightly Included category (VS) diamonds have minor inclusions that are difficult to somewhat easy for a trained grader to see when viewed under 10x magnification.[2] The VS category is divided into two grades; VS1 denotes a higher clarity grade than VS2. Typically the inclusions in VS diamonds are invisible without magnification, however infrequently some VS2 inclusions may still be visible. An example would be on a large emerald cut diamond which has a small inclusion under the corner of the table.[1]

I figured VS1 or better is what you want here. If her/his friends can't see the imperfections, that's really what counts.

Cut: This pertains to the general shape of the diamond, the number of facets (aka: sparklies). You might want to leave this up to her, my wife had a particular cut in mind.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_cut#Fancy_cuts

Apparently Princess cuts waste the least of the original diamond, but they're also popular so I doubt the diamond cartel will be passing those savings on to you, however green and friendly they purport to be.

The last "C" is carat, which I'm guessing you're familiar with. It's just the mass of the stone.

Now that you've read all that, I'd suggest going to local jewelers (even if you're looking for conflict free stuff) to familiarize yourself with what these cuts, clarities, and colors actually look like in person.

Note: don't be fooled by the 1000w lights over the display cases. Look at the stones outside (in the sun, or in the mall proper) if they'll let you.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    we have been looking at estate and vintage diamonds as a solution. the way we look at it, at least that prevents money from going to the "newly mined" diamond trade.

question there is, where does one look for such diamonds while still getting value and trustworthiness...

ffNewSig.png
  • Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Bluenile is definitely good for getting competitively priced diamonds, but I don't know about the conflict free aspect. I tend to doubt you can be both highly cost competitive and conflict free.

Canada apparently has diamond minds and I always here about that being the way to go to ensure conflict free. I don't know any specific retailers that ensure canada mined diamonds, but I would look into that.

I would disagree with there being no good lab created diamonds. If you want colored diamonds there are several places that sell large very high quality colored diamonds, as the technology has been around since the 50's. Colorless is a lot more rare, but there certainly still companies selling them. You can't get the absolute highest qualities, and you are limited to typically a carat or less, but anything better than that naturally mined is going to be $10,000+. There is a huge middle ground of very good synthetic diamonds that are reasonably priced that I think most people are interested in. Be aware though that so far the costs of synthetic colorless diamonds are about the same as mined diamonds.

Apollo and gemesis were the two companies I'd previously heard of that make synthetic diamonds. Apollo appears to be out of buisness/sold but gemesis is still around. MiaDonna is a company that I have personal experience with. They make a hybrid diamond (think CZ with a diamond shell) which seems pretty cool, but they also apparently make or buy synthetic diamonds now. I bought from there because my SO really liked their settings, and now that they make synthetic diamonds it seems like a great place to get everything. I can't vouch for the authenticity of their synthetics, but they seem like a reputable company, and are pretty upfront about the not diamond nature of the hybrid that they make. They were very customer friendly when I bought from them.

As far as I know you can get any diamond you buy independently tested at certain places to verify it is what you think it is. MiaDonna claims that all of their diamonds come with GIA (a large international tester) testing certificates, but I have no idea how hard these are to fake.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    we have been looking at estate and vintage diamonds as a solution. the way we look at it, at least that prevents money from going to the "newly mined" diamond trade.

question there is, where does one look for such diamonds while still getting value and trustworthiness...

The jewelry stores around here sell used rings all the time. I don't know what your time-table is, but you could pop in every now and then and see what they've got. You could probably even persuade them to call you if they get any used engagement rings in. I also want to say estate sales, but those seem like a long shot. Really long.

That site I linked apparently also sells used rings, but it looks like a lot of the clarity ratings are down in the VS2/S1 range, which I'd want to see in person before dropping a few grand on.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I'm going to ignore the diamond part, and focus on the ring part.
    Find a local artisan jewel crafter and have him/her make you a custom ring.
    There are several artists in your local area that would be more than happy to take on this commission.
    It'll be cheaper than any ring you find in a store, and it'll be unique too.

iTNdmYl.png
    edited September 2013
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Bluenile is definitely good for getting competitively priced diamonds, but I don't know about the conflict free aspect. I tend to doubt you can be both highly cost competitive and conflict free.

Canada apparently has diamond minds and I always here about that being the way to go to ensure conflict free. I don't know any specific retailers that ensure canada mined diamonds, but I would look into that.

I would disagree with there being no good lab created diamonds. If you want colored diamonds there are several places that sell large very high quality colored diamonds, as the technology has been around since the 50's. Colorless is a lot more rare, but there certainly still companies selling them. You can't get the absolute highest qualities, and you are limited to typically a carat or less, but anything better than that naturally mined is going to be $10,000+. There is a huge middle ground of very good synthetic diamonds that are reasonably priced that I think most people are interested in. Be aware though that so far the costs of synthetic colorless diamonds are about the same as mined diamonds.

Apollo and gemesis were the two companies I'd previously heard of that make synthetic diamonds. Apollo appears to be out of buisness/sold but gemesis is still around. MiaDonna is a company that I have personal experience with. They make a hybrid diamond (think CZ with a diamond shell) which seems pretty cool, but they also apparently make or buy synthetic diamonds now. I bought from there because my SO really liked their settings, and now that they make synthetic diamonds it seems like a great place to get everything. I can't vouch for the authenticity of their synthetics, but they seem like a reputable company, and are pretty upfront about the not diamond nature of the hybrid that they make. They were very customer friendly when I bought from them.

As far as I know you can get any diamond you buy independently tested at certain places to verify it is what you think it is. MiaDonna claims that all of their diamonds come with GIA (a large international tester) testing certificates, but I have no idea how hard these are to fake.

You cannot get into the diamond trade, either mining or marketing, without interacting with DeBeers. It is impossible. That's the fundamental problem with 'conflict free' branding - yes, you mined them in the Canadian arctic or Alaska instead of Zimbabwe - but you're still sharing the bed with DeBeers and splitting all of the royalty money with them. The customer is still fundamentally handing money over to a bunch of thugs that don't care how many dead bodies they have to step over or how far astray they have to lead people in order to make another dollar.

EDIT: The act of handing over said money and what culpability customers do or don't have is, of course, beyond the scope of this thread - but the OP should still be made aware that this is the current status quo so they can make an informed choice one way or the other.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    I've seen commercials and read that canadian diamonds have a tiny polar bear laser etched into them to better identify them.

Fake edit: apparently it's not all of them, just some; http://www.jubilee.ca/diamonds/canadian-diamonds.aspx

Blue Nile, along with the global diamond industry, has a zero-tolerance policy toward conflict diamonds. Through measures such as the Kimberley Process, which tracks diamonds from mine to market, the industry in partnership with the United Nations, governments, and non-governmental organizations, polices diamond exports to prevent the trade of illegal diamonds.

At Blue Nile, we only purchase diamonds through the largest and most respected suppliers who, like us, proudly adhere to and enforce the standards established by the Kimberley Process. All Blue Nile diamonds are warranted to be conflict free. If one of our suppliers was ever found to be in violation of that process, we would immediately sever that relationship. We will continue to support and promote any process that works to uphold legitimacy in the diamond trade.

Diamonds are mined throughout the world, including major mines in Australia, Africa, Russia and Canada. Diamonds are a major source of good in many African nations, employing and providing healthcare to thousands. For more information on this issue, please visit DiamondFacts.org.

This is gold.

"To learn more about how petroleum is totally cleaner energy than nuclear, visit PetroleumFact.org, an educational initiative funded by Exxon Mobil."

With Love and Courage
    The Northwest Territories are the key source of Canadian diamonds, with master craftspersons from around the world being drawn to the region. As growth continues, careers in diamond mining and cutting are becoming popular with the local Inuit people. Diamonds have become a wonderful boost to local economies, bringing increased income and fresh prosperity.

Well, I guess you could say that. If by 'popular' you mean 'getting swindled'.

With Love and Courage
  • Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Jebus314 wrote: »

You cannot get into the diamond trade, either mining or marketing, without interacting with DeBeers. It is impossible. That's the fundamental problem with 'conflict free' branding - yes, you mined them in the Canadian arctic or Alaska instead of Zimbabwe - but you're still sharing the bed with DeBeers and splitting all of the royalty money with them. The customer is still fundamentally handing money over to a bunch of thugs that don't care how many dead bodies they have to step over or how far astray they have to lead people in order to make another dollar.

I've also read that buy supporting non african mined diamonds you are essentially driving down the price of african diamonds which is passed directly on to further screwing over the miners. This also applies to synthetic diamonds. Or I suppose to not buying diamonds at all. At some point you just have to decide what you feel is an acceptable level of culpability. To me not giving money directly seems distinct from giving money directly to the mines. So i am more ok with supporting dabeers and less ok with supporting the mines directly.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular

I'm going to say "eBay," and please don't laugh too hard, but basically what I would suggest is specifically searching for vintage items that have been appraised. Even if the item itself is ugly as hell, if the stone cut is nice, you could get a custom setting for an old stone and not be financing anything except someone's QVC problem.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Craigslist actually has a good number of entrapment rings. Some times after engagement shit doesn't work out, and where else are you gonna sell it?

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    edited September 2013
    Just a final word from me on 'conflict free' and how to distinguish marketing terms from genuine efforts to behave ethically:

If you look at something like the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation or the Global Business Coalition, you will see entities that became aware of a problem and made an effort to solve that problem independently of how the problem was perceived by the public at the time. It didn't matter to Mr. & Mrs. Gates that nobody in the 90s gave two fucks about what was happening in Africa - it was wrong, they knew it was wrong and they wanted to make it right.

When a company like Blue Nile uses a term like 'conflict free' after the public becomes aware of a problem, it's just marketing. "Hey, people are more attracted to a product if we call it [X] now, because [X] is a trending issue,"

They don't actually give a shit. They just want to leverage the suffering as a means of advertising.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    For lab created diamonds here is a good site. There have been a great deal of advancement in lab created diamonds in the lat 5 years. To the point where debeers supplies expensive spectroscopic tools to distinguish them.

http://gemesis.com/

I would like to say if you are going lab created go with a fun color. Have a unique diamond.

zepherin on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Geth, kick @The Ender from the thread.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative ceres. @The Ender banned from this thread.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    That conversation is over now.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    Craigslist actually has a good number of entrapment rings. Some times after engagement shit doesn't work out, and where else are you gonna sell it?

Intentional, or possibly the best "Damn you auto-correct" of the day?

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    my suggestion is always go with cut and clarity over size. the shiny makes the stone look bigger

camo_sig.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Argyle Diamonds is a Western Australian diamond mining company that you can actually buy direct from.

Some of the best quality diamonds in the world, mined by a highly paid, guilt-free workforce in outback Australia.

They're a bit expensive, but you get excellent customer service.

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    As Ender said, the general premise of the OP is flawed; it's impossible to buy diamonds that are conflict-free. If that's really an issue, then you should consider alternatives. If not, I wouldn't worry about 'quality' so much, just grab what looks good to you. Cut, clarity, and size are the three things that jewelers use to price diamonds, but you should know any diamonds you buy will be marked up by at least 3 times their actual value--for example, a ring you buy for 10k actually only costs 3k or less.

Lots of the jargon is confusing, and it's meant to be that way to confuse the consumer into paying for more for something that is not scarce (and cut and clarity is nearly impossible to tell without a microscope most of the time). My advice is to get a diamond that looks good to you (a lot of this will also be determined by how the diamond/diamonds are set into the ring), as anything you buy will be laughably overpriced no matter where you go or who you buy from. Get beyond the idea of being scammed, because you are being scammed one way or another, and choose based on budget and what looks attractive to you.

My wife and I went the 3D printing route for the rings. No stones, but could custom design and choose metals that otherwise would be too complex at a normal jeweler.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Congratulations!
    I purchased my wife's rings on Blue Nile.
    It was very painless and their website holds your hand every step through the diamond selection query.
    Brilliant Earth has a similar database IIRC.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Diamonds are fungible*, like oil, and marijuana. When all is said and done, US currency is the primary currency for terrorists, drug dealers and bad guys, so you shouldn't use greenbacks unless you want to sponsor those bad guys. Now that that is out of the way, you can be sure that tons of diamonds were dug out of the ground outside of Rwanda.

If you want the best "deal" on your diamond or ring then buy used. Be it a pawn shop or Sotheby's/Christie's, buying on the secondary market means you don't get hosed as much on the additional utility new retailers extract from buyers. Problem I found with the auction houses is you get old and weird cuts and settings/fashion. Your giftee may not appreciate a miner cut diamond set into a man's pinky ring eventhough it is 2 carat and E color. Most people associate diamonds (and engagement rocks particularly) to the round brilliant cut, which gained major popularity with the marketing venture that put diamond solitaire rings as standard issue for engagements in the west, and now everywhere.

So if you want a round brilliant solitaire you want something that has a table/depth of around 60/60 (more like 58ish to 61ish). Why? Cause those kinds of proportions maximize sparklyness ("fire"). Now if the rock is poorly cut, then even with those proportions it may not have a lot of pop. Metrics like table and depth and girdle and fluorescence and weight and color are all objective metrics; cut is way subject to interpretation. I would suggest you go to a major local/independent dealer (NOT Kay's or Zales) and have them give you an education. They are happy to do so. I mean they are selling you something that you would be hard pressed to resell for half as much once you walk out the door (a third is more likely), and I say this as an appreciator of diamonds and jewelry.

Really, given the weird aspect of clear rocks dug out of the ground being informed by oligopolistic pressures, IMO you should go in to places where you can look at what it means for differences in karat value, or color value, or various cuts, and build your own opinion f what matters and what doesn't. Then armed with such info/opinion you can decide if you want to go retail, or online, of to an auction house, or to a pawn shop.

Note, I bought my rock (as a bare gem) "new", and had commissioned the building/setting of the ring through a small time independent jeweler. This is the most expensive way to go, and involves the most middlemen extracting their respective cuts. It's been 10 years and I'd still do it the same way. Not saying you should do it this way, just giving context. Also, I'm an engineer, and of that general mindset.

*With respect to "conflictiness".

Djeet on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

A potential alternative is a more symbolic item as the place-setting rather than a lump of super-heated carbon. Non-traditional gemstones and alternative ring materials have become more popular and available lately, and especially if you and your spouse have some sort of backstory of item in common it might me more meaningful than a diamond from a department store or website (especially when most cuts and settings are mass produced).

Lots of folks are starting to use rings made of a meaningful item (such as a wooden ring from the Senator after it burned, the couple in question visited often: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Senator_(tree) ) or unusual metals (a tungsten ring due to the "unbreakable" qualities, etc.). One fellow I know actually used a geode he and his lady found on a vacation, had a chunk of it polished, and put into a gold setting and it came out not only lovely, but also a conversation starter she boasts about frequently. The only piece of jewelry I owned, a simple gunmetal band, ended up being my engagement ring as I wanted to give my wife the one object I treasured in that way. Despite the silly size difference she keeps it on a pendant every day, and we have custom bands we bought locally for our wedding rings.

Whatever you choose to do, remember in this modern day and age the gold & diamond ring no longer serves as a bride price and (even if it did) your bride couldn't sell it back for even a tiny fraction of what you will buy it for. Diamond stores will try and pressure you into a traditional idea based around the concept that without a diamond there is no marriage, when in reality it should be more about you and your love's relationship than the object you use to propose. If the diamond is important to your values, go all in. Just make sure that's the reason and not because "He went to Jared" mentality is driving your decision-making.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    FF, estate jewelry might be your best bet, I'm not sure about your city but I know NYC does a bustling business in vintage/estate gemstones with reputable dealers

Yelp is probably a decent place to start, wedding forums will also generally have jeweler reviews

Usagi on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna throw out a completely different idea and suggest you take a vacation to Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas. You probably won't find a perfect diamond in your dig there, if you find a diamond of any appreciable size at all, but you'll have a great time and get some great memories. And, if conflict free is really that important to you, you can probably find out how to contact people who locally who dig and sell what they find.

If you get anything, it will almost be certainly uncut and non-clear, with a high potential for flaws. But it will also be a much more unique experience than craigslist, ebay, zales, etc.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

I went with family diamonds for my wife's ring. My mother had a 1/4 k diamond with two smaller diamonds that she gave me with some misc smaller diamonds and gold which I sold to mount the three I wanted in a custom setting.

While I was looking for inspiration, I checked out a lot of antique malls (where multiple vendors set up "display booths" so to speak with various levels and prices of jewelry from personal collections and estate sales.

I'm not going to lie to you Marge, their prices are inflated because its "vintage" but you can bring a jeweler with you to verify the authenticity and most of them have a counter up front with estate sale diamond rings dating as far back as your wallet allows.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    well, i ended up getting a vintage 1950s ring from an Etsy vendor. it's an older European cut, on the lower end of the "colorless" spectrum, but we got it for a really good deal :D

did you know Etsy has a stupidly large variety of diamond/engagement ring sellers now?

It9cNs1l.jpg

nSEMarCl.jpg

as for the "ethics" debate, believe me, my unspecified other person and i have had the debate quite a bit. she wants a diamond because of its enduring properties and the "sparkliness" that doesn't happen with other gems, but does not want to contribute to the horribleness of the market. i'm pretty much of the same opinion, but didn't know how flawed (heh) the Kimberley process and "international norms" can be. at least not until now.

in any event, a vintage, already used diamond seems to be the way to go. thanks for the input everyone! i think this can be closed.

ffNewSig.png
This discussion has been closed.