Options

Harvosta Moona: Rune Factory (milk some cows, pwn some monsters)

LethardicusLethardicus Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
ladies and gentlemen, i come to call to your attention this little gem that has finally gotten a US release date after much praying, May 1st, just a month. yeah i suppose we have another thread on this, but, eh, new news.

ME0000706030_2.jpg

so, eh, might be thinking after looking at the box art, THIS is harvest moon? wat the hell? yeah, im pretty sure its a huge departure from what im sure alot of us know of harvest moon

HarvestMoon64_64Box_20041015boxart_160h.jpg

ive played all the harvest moon games from SNES, GB, GBC, N64, PSX, GC, PS2. And, you can debate this with me all you want. but i gotta admit, after the PSX harvest moon, Back to Nature, the series has gone pretty downhill a bit....although the DS harvest moons were pretty good, and i make this thread as this latest incarnation seems to have piqued my interest quite a bit. but anyway, my own opinion.

Anyway, Harvest Moon Rune Factory is one of the latest harvest moon games for Nintendo DS and it marks the 10 year anniversary of harvest moon. For anyone who hasn't played harvest moon, its a farming/life simulation. Grow crops, milk ur cows, get married, and everything in between. What makes THIS one so interesting, overall style change, and gameplay changes , not to mention, an actual storyline with the game.

Storyline (from http://www.fogu.com/hm/rune_factory/index.php#)
The story begins as you wander into the outskirts of Caludia Village, a small town on the eastern border of Adonea Continent. You can't go on anymore and pass out in front of a house.

When the woman who lives there checks on the body laying in front of her door, you regain conciousness and tell her you haven't eaten or had a drink in days. She goes inside her house and returns with a Hoe and Watering Can! The lady explains that the Hoe and Watering Can seem to suit you, and eventually gets the hint that you want some bread and water.

After you've eaten and realize you don't know how you got there or what your name is, the two of you pick Ragna to be your name for now. Since you don't seem to have any memory for the time being, Mist loans you the house and land that she's not using. Now that you have a farmland to live on you can start your adventure.

apparantly you also have amnesia as well, and cant remember who u are, and blah blah, girl feels bad, does all this stuff for you, and course u gotta try and get ur memory back.

quite a different departure from the usual, grandpa bought the farm, and now i own it scenario from the old games isnt it? yeah so you got ur farm, and mebbe some prospective girls to date right? yeah, thats cool thats cool, but apparantly now, we gotta fight monsters.

Combat/Fighting (yeah u heard me right, in a HARVEST MOON GAME)

yeah so, after respective girl gives u the farmland, a monster appears, and you basically gotta defend urself (WITH UR HOE!?).

besides the usual farming and stuff, they decided to add something new to this game. on the island theres tons of caves where u gotta go in and well, fight monsters, save people, adventure, and etc. ur reward? well, theres farmland and stuff inside, also increase ur stamina and skills as well when ur in there. and course, theyre part of the story as well. basically how it goes, theres weird machines making monsters, and u gotta go in and take em out

thumbnail_h10.jpg.jpg

1696.imgcache
[size=-2]whats that i see? watering can? fishing pole? +5 BROADSWORD!?[/size]

the combat is pretty much hack and slash, which is fine by me, considering its a FARMING game. you can go to the blacksmith in town, forge new weapons and etc. or get some drops from monsters. for a harvest moon game, thats well, wow.

Animals
animals arent really animals anymore, i thought was interesting was, you can capture monsters and put em to work on ur farm.

35_buffamoo.png
you milk buffamoos

mob_mokomoko.jpg
get mokomoko wool

mob_kokehoho.jpg
and get eggs from kokehohos

instead of a horse u can get different animals to ride on, like, wolves, and buffalos and stuff, beats riding an old horse i suppose

so its pretty much ur good old harvest moon we all know and love, with a refreshing new style and added gameplay. tell u the truth, getting a bit sick of harvest moon a bit, but i think thisll be enough to get me back into it. i mean, hell, we hardly had enough time to, water all ur crops, tend to ur animals, go to the mountains and grab stuff, and then see ur girl and other villagers. now we gotta do all that AND dungeon crawl now?? gimme a break sirs. and with 11 marryable girls and lots of things to do, this games gonna take up lots of my time

hah this is the first of one of these threads that ive ever made, and i just felt like it cuz, hey, HM games dont get too much attention.

Rune Factory OP

GameBrink Review, 91/100

Rune Factory Info Site

this and other harvest moon games, discuss.

Lethardicus on

• Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Heheh, 'Hoe'

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This isn't about Rune Factory (fighting + Harvest Moon = not interested) but how is Innocent Life for the PSP?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Of the console (non-portable) Harvest Moons, which is the easiest? I tried "Magic Melody" and went mad. I'm just not cut out for hardcore farming.

Rune Factory looks interesting; can dungeon crawling get in the way of farming?

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If Natsume is doing Rune Factory, I simply don't believe it will be released at that time. Hell, I'd be suprised if it's this year.
    Our current distance from April 1st doesn't help matters.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    This isn't about Rune Factory (fighting + Harvest Moon = not interested) but how is Innocent Life for the PSP?

that one, i have no idea, but it looks interesting. comes out may 1st as well in the US, and YESTERDAY for EU?! woah, i gotta check that out. ill update on details if i check it out
    Of the console (non-portable) Harvest Moons, which is the easiest? I tried "Magic Melody" and went mad. I'm just not cut out for hardcore farming.

Rune Factory looks interesting; can dungeon crawling get in the way of farming?

probably HM64 is the easiest i suppose. it was pretty straightforward in the least and didnt fuck around i guess. and it was really fun. least for me, magical melody, i didnt like that one either. it felt more annoying than fun. not to mention, the main characters model in this one looked like he had a pot belly, that friggin fatass.....i was wondering how he gained all that weight...
    If Natsume is doing Rune Factory, I simply don't believe it will be released at that time. Hell, I'd be suprised if it's this year.
    Our current distance from April 1st doesn't help matters.

release dates have always been played and screwed around with a couple of times already, this is mabye like, the 3rd time probably, and considering their track record, we'll just have to wait and see

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    the art for rune factory is very nice

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    oh yeah, main character in innocent life is also a robot, haha

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    electronicmajielectronicmaji __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    does it have hot chicks you can marry like the n64 version?

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    does it have hot chicks you can marry like the n64 version?

yeah, 11 of em, theyre on the info site, take ur pick

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Reserved my copy of Rune Factory today.

I really want to know more about Innocent Life too. It might be a deciding factor in me buying a PSP soon.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Reserved my copy of Rune Factory today.

I really want to know more about Innocent Life too. It might be a deciding factor in me buying a PSP soon.

im not even sure u can marry a girl...havent seen any prospective girls or anything like that on sites. not to mention, ur a robot.
    General information:
    - This game is not exactly a Harvest Moon title that English-players come to anticipate in a new game, but it is more closer to a spinoff of the genre. It is a slower paced version where you are more in tune to nature. It is an "exploration" of the series.
    - Opinion -> It may be closer to a Save The Homeland type of feel where farming takes a small back-seat to the plot.
    - The game is being developed by Arte Piazza and published by Marvelous. Arte Piazza was also involved in the development of Square-Enix's Dragon Quest 7 (Dragon Warrior outside of Japan), Dragon Quest 4, and Dragon Quest 3.

Story
    - You play as the boy, an "innocent life", created by Professor Hope. It is his wish to help you be more human by doing human work such as growing flowers and vegetables.
    - In the past the south island was home to two sets of people. Volcano people lived in the southwest portion of the island while Easter lives on the east side.
    - There was a conflict between the two groups over good, fertile land. Easter had a lot of land while Volcano had very little. The conflict angred the spirits of the island, who sealed off the land so neither could use it. The land is still sealed.
    - The Easter side was eventually abandoned (apparently they did loose the conflict) and now it lays in ruin. The Volcano people still live in Volcano Town.

Gameplay
    - You are the one who can unravel the mysteries of the island and unlock the seal on the land. When you first start your adventure the amount of land you have is very small. The more seals you break, the more land you have for growing.

Bugs
    - There has been reports of a lot of bugs and glitches with this game. One Japanese fan has wrote on a forum that he regretted purchasing it. Another is waiting for the revised version to be published.

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How bad were the bugs in the first Harvest Moon DS game? I don't even have a DS yet, nor have I even played a game in the Harvest Moon series before, but I do plan to get a DS soon and I also vastly prefer the normal art style to what I can see in this game.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I am a huge fan of the HM games, and I was fairly disappointed with the DS one from what little i played.

Rune Factory is supposed to be infinitely better than it.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How bad were the bugs in the first Harvest Moon DS game? I don't even have a DS yet, nor have I even played a game in the Harvest Moon series before, but I do plan to get a DS soon and I also vastly prefer the normal art style to what I can see in this game.

I had issues with crashing, but only during winter.

Any other time of year was fine.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd rather have an online version of classic Harvest Moon.

Because seriously, this looks pretty shitty.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow, a new Harvest moon. Quite awesome really. Since i have no DS this is a good time to buy one since I can get the other Harvest Moon and a couple of other JRPG's for the DS.

If your looking for a good one, try Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life/Another Wonderful Life. Its two games so you can play (both are identical to each other) as either a guy or girl. I haven't encountered any bugs with it when I played so I might not know all the bugs. Both of these I have are on the GC.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Wow, a new Harvest moon. Quite awesome really. Since i have no DS this is a good time to buy one since I can get the other Harvest Moon and a couple of other JRPG's for the DS.

If your looking for a good one, try Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life/Another Wonderful Life. Its two games so you can play (both are identical to each other) as either a guy or girl. I haven't encountered any bugs with it when I played so I might not know all the bugs. Both of these I have are on the GC.

no offense but the GC/PS2 harvest moons sucked balls, they all just felt so...small....like areawise, compared to the other harvest moons. it really pissed me off, so i didnt spend more than half a year gametime playing em, course thats just IMO....

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Magical Melody is the opposite of small.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ZhouZhou Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Note that this is a spin-off, and not to be taken as a real full-on Harvest Moon.

They're just trying something with this one.

Zhou on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

no offense but the GC/PS2 harvest moons sucked balls, they all just felt so...small....like areawise, compared to the other harvest moons. it really pissed me off, so i didnt spend more than half a year gametime playing em, course thats just IMO....

I hardly see why you would say that. The GBA Harvest Moons I have (Friends of Mineral Town and More Friends of Mineral Town) play exactly the same and I can see no difference why they would suck. A Wonderful life had too many areas to explore and you couldn't do that in a day and look after the farming. I would rate them all as good instead of bad.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    while not directly related to Rune Factory...

Harvest Moon DS 2
    and
    Harvest Moon (Wii)

Have both popped up for preorder at Gamestop, with a tentative date of November.

Hadnt heard anything about either of these yet... anyone know anything?

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    while not directly related to Rune Factory...

Harvest Moon DS 2
    and
    Harvest Moon (Wii)

Have both popped up for preorder at Gamestop, with a tentative date of November.

Hadnt heard anything about either of these yet... anyone know anything?

Harvest Moon DS 2, its one where, buncha people get stranded on an island, u make a farm, the island grows with u, people move in and stuff, tropical harvest moon much?

and no details on harvest moon for Wii....yet....

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    God damn man it's "you".

I also cannot wait for Rune Factory as I'm sure it will be packed full of awesome sauce. I Can't wait to kill shit and plant some sweet potatoes.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That is the Wii one. I didn't even know a DS 2 was in the works.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    gotta be asked, which do u think is the best harvest moon?

i've only played the snes one. and i loved it. i've always been put off from trying another one, or the next one coming out because people saying this one was better and don't play this jus play this one that came before.

theparttime on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    SNES was one of the best.

The GB/GBC ones were pretty good.

never played the N64/PS versions unfortunately

Save the Homeland for PS2 was horrible

A Wonderful Life was pretty good.

Magical Melody seems decent, but ive barely played it.

Friends of Mineral Town for the GBA is the best one since the SNES that Ive played. Im STILL regretting that I traded it in a long time ago, and now I cant find it anywhere.

Harvest Moon DS was kind of disappointing... I ended up trading it in.

If you want something alot like the original one on the SNES, try and find a copy of Friends of Mineral Town for the GBA. EXCELLENT game. Its very much like the original, except with a ton of new features.

Damn I need to find a copy of that one.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    MetalfootMetalfoot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I guess I'll say this:

RUUUUNE FACTORY! EEEEEEEK! YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

I'm considering purchasing this.

(WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!)

Metalfoot on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, it's like Natsume sacked their entire playtesting staff or something with all these friggin' bugs all over the place.
    never played the N64/PS versions unfortunately
    Unfortunately is right, 64 is the absolute best of the franchise, bar none. If you've got a Wii and it ever comes out on the virtual console or a 64 and you spy it in a shop, you absolutly must get it, .

Sorenson on
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I should really go to bed. But, I have to milk the cows. Feed the chickens. Hey, I should see whats up in town. A festival? Oh, hey, why not? Lets party a bit.

(Repeat x Infinity)

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm really interested in this. I decided to skip the other DS Harvest Moon (which btw still isn't out in Europe) because it's so similar to FoMT (which I own) but I do really want a Harvest Moon game for my DS and this looks like an interesting take on the franchise.

I've also been looking at getting the GC one (Magical Melody) when it comes out here to play on the Wii but that apparantly got delayed, again. Living in Europe sucks when it comes to HM games.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've also been looking at getting the GC one (Magical Melody) when it comes out here to play on the Wii but that apparantly got delayed, again. Living in Europe sucks when it comes to HM games.

As opposed to other games? :P

Anyway, looking forward to this. The GC game was my first HM game and I enjoyed it, but admittedly things slowed down a lot once I found out what the most profitable crops for each season were. Hopefully going out to fight things adds some randomness to what you can get on a daily basis.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    jb7jb7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am not looking forward to this new spin on the HS franchise. I think they should just go back to their roots. N64 was definitely the best and I think they should do something like that with some online play. I liked a "A Wonderful Life", but thought it could have used a little bit more to it. This game just looks....uhh....stupid.

jb7 on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

As opposed to other games? :P

Anyway, looking forward to this. The GC game was my first HM game and I enjoyed it, but admittedly things slowed down a lot once I found out what the most profitable crops for each season were. Hopefully going out to fight things adds some randomness to what you can get on a daily basis.

True but man the DS HM takes the cake, it was supposed to come out what, August last year? I was all set to get it for my birthday

Yeh, I'm hoping for the same with the fighting. That's the one downside to HM, once you figure out which crop makes the most in a given season you're basically set for the rest of the game.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    Dr. ODr. O Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Harvest Moon with combat? I don't know whether to scream "Heresy!" or be intrigued.

Dr. O on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Harvest Moon is my favorite series ever but Natsume needs to spend more time getting their bugs worked out. Harvest Moon DS was completely broken by them. But I'm jumping feet first into Rune Factory. It looks great.

As for best of, Harvest Moon DS, had there been no bugs, was probably the best because there was just so much to do. Then More Friends of Mineral Town.

The PS2 game was awful and the Wonderful Life games were terribly boring.

Magical Melody is the easiest. Wonderful Life just really doesn't make a whole lot of sense and Save The Homeland was a joke. In MM you can easily make money hand over fist even in the first season and whatever time you have left (which, for me, was a lot) you can spend doing whatever you'd like. Don't try to do multiple goals at once if it was getting to you. Just pick one (getting good cows or chickens or crops or fodder or harvesting lots of wild stuff) and just keep at it. Special hint : fishing + knife set = sashimi = PROFIT

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Terrible, terrible, awful. People vanish, constant freeze ups, the two legendary wives can't be married because of bugs, data gets corrupted daily and .... aw hell I can't even list them all. The bugs were so bad that the "For Girls" version won't even get ported over here.

The European version is supposed to fix most of the bugs. So if you really want it, import it from there if you're not there already. The game itself has lots of really fun stuff to do so I'm importing it myself.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DekuStick wrote: »
    I also cannot wait for Rune Factory as I'm sure it will be packed full of awesome sauce. I Can't wait to kill shit and plant some sweet potatoes.

I've never agreed more with a statement. Maybe the sweet potatoes will somehow play into the killing of things...

As far as best Harvest Moon to date, I'd probably have to go with Friends of Mineral Town. Before the GBA games hit, it was pretty much a tie between Back to Nature and HM64. The GBA games basically took BtN and added some stuff and tweaked the controls and things(which is kind of cheap as far as getting a new game goes, but did definitely make it better).

The DS game as mentioned is buggy(though I think the extent of the glitchiness is a tad over-represented), and I personally prefer Karen/Ann/the gang over its selection. Some stuff with the livestock pisses me off too...

Everything else...although I could understand someone liking them, they at the very least don't really fit into the 'classical' HM mold like the portable games.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Frosteey wrote: »

As far as best Harvest Moon to date, I'd probably have to go with Friends of Mineral Town.

FoM is really good but More FoM fixes all of the bugs in FoM and improves the translation a bit.

The DS game as mentioned is buggy(though I think the extent of the glitchiness is a tad over-represented),

If anything, it's underepresented. I've had 5 different copies and had the corrupted save bug on every version before I even got out of Spring, not to mention the myriad other snafus I've experienced before that happened and how many things you just can't actually do in the game because of all the bugs. The actual extent of the glitches is just mind boggling.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    synthetic1synthetic1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll agree that HM64 was by far the best of the series. I'd kill to have a proper sequal to that using the same (beautiful) graphic style.

synthetic1 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Hey Mega Man, join my side. You'll be mine, FOREVER!"
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I've never understood the "N64 is best" mindset. The PS1 version and both Mineral Town games are sequals that improve on the N64 game. What about them didn't work?

Magic Pink on