Options

Buying a second graphics card [AMD Crossfire] - worth it?

AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. FancypantsWears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
My gaming PC is about five years old, and while still performing very well, is starting to show its age.

The specs are:
Processor - Intel Core i7 940
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
Memory - Corsair XMS3 6GB
Graphics Card - Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB
HDD - WD Blue 500GB

Unless I'm mistaken, the bottleneck is the graphics card.
Though finding one here would be a nightmare, I'm sure I can import another 4870 from the US and plug it in as a second card.
I have zero experience with crossfire though, and I'd appreciate some input.
Is it actually worth it? Am I going to see a significant improvement, or should I hold on to my money until I buy a whole new card?

Thanks in advance.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    The 4870 is long since out of production. Major retailers in the US like Newegg, et al don't sell them anymore.

Looking at new ones on eBay, I see asking prices in the range from $75 all the way up to $200 or more.

For $150~ you can buy something current and easy to acquire like a 7850 which would be equal to or superior in performance to a Crossfire'd pair of 4870's (they are the same tier on the TomsHardware GPU hierarchy), without any of the annoyances associated with Crossfire'd cards some people experience...and get coupons for two free games into the bargain.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The i7-940 is still a pretty good chip. 6 gigs of RAM is plenty for gaming.

The two big opportunities for performance improvement on your computer are the HDD, and the video card.

If you can swing an SSD and an upgrade to a GTX760, it'd be like a whole new computer again.