As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Circuit City laying off 3400 experienced employees - they cost the company too much

GorajaGoraja Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2007-03-28-circuit-city-layoffs_N.htm?csp=34
Circuit City's plan to fire 3,400 will have ripple effects
By Stephanie Armour, USA TODAY

Circuit City Stores' (CC) decision to lay off 3,400 employees in order to hire lower-paid replacements is raising questions about the impact of severe cost-cutting on employee morale.

The consumer electronics retailer announced Wednesday that it was immediately firing store associates "who were paid well above the market-based salary range for their role." New workers will be paid less, although Circuit City did not reveal the pay of the workers.

Laying off workers who earn higher pay raises the risk of deflating the morale of employees who are left behind, says Penelope Trunk, author of Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success.

"People left behind are probably thinking they don't have a future there," Trunk says.

Those hourly workers who are laid off will get severance packages and can apply for open positions after 10 weeks.

"We have and continue to pay competitive wages in the stores across the country, but we have to control costs," Circuit City spokesman Jim Babb says. "We've got to get our stores to adhere to wage ranges."

The layoffs could have broad impact:

•Copycats. Other employers could follow Circuit City's lead. Many already are trying to curtail compensation costs. Seven percent of companies plan to trim staff levels during the second quarter of 2007, according to a survey by Manpower.

"If lower-cost labor is available, it's the right thing to do. They're not a charity," says Francie Dalton of Columbia, Md., president of Dalton Alliances, a management consultancy. "If it was your business and you have lower-cost labor available, you should do the same thing."

•Employee morale. After layoffs, companies must deal with a demoralized workforce by reassuring them that the decision is in the best interest of the company and those left behind.

"You have to reassure (the remaining workers) that, 'You're OK, and we're a stronger company now,' " says Paul Endress, president and CEO of Maximum Advantage, a Harrisburg, Pa.-based company that focuses on applying psychology to hiring and retaining workers.

•Waning productivity. Employees left behind or rehired later at lower wages could struggle with productivity, which is common in the wake of corporate cost-cutting.

Circuit City, which like other electronics retailers faces stiff competition, reported a loss for its most recent quarter ended Nov. 30, and its stock price has fallen 39% from its 52-week high. Its share price rose Wednesday to $19.23, up 1.9%

Contributing: Jayne O'Donnell

So much for last hired, first fired. Apparently having experience with a company isn't an important consideration when determining who one keeps and who one let's go. I never realized that being considered a good worker and keeping your job with the same employer for a long period was a company just being "charitable" to the employee.

Someone who has worked 3, 5, 10 years for a retailer, always been given great performance reviews, generally considered an asset to the operating of the store and likely can be counted on to do their tasks without needing to be checked on every few minutes should simply be sacked because his competence and experience at the business now prices him higher than the raw new employees? It's not like everyone with experience can become (or wants to become) a manager. If the employee likes his job and does it well, why should he be summarily penalized for being competent at what he does and compensated for the many years of service already provided? The experience alone is going to make the long-term employee more productive in their ability to help customers and whatever other tasks they have to do during the day than a constant turnover of new workers who, knowing the company will only keep them for a few years and fire them if they stay around too long, are not gonna have any reason to provide anything more than the absolute minimum level of performance.

Poor form, Corporate America.

Goraja on

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Meh, fuck lifers. They aren't really so much more skilled as newer hires, as they have a lot less drive.

Work for 5, 10 or 15 years at retailer? Pffftttt....

Those hourly workers who are laid off will get severance packages and can apply for open positions after 10 weeks.

haaaaa gughghhaaaa haaaa.... "Hi Bob. You've been with the company for a long time, and we think you are a great worker. So, we are going to lay you off, but feel free to come back and work for a quarter over minimum wage in a few weeks."

seriously, it is fucking retail. Experience beyond about 3 months does not make a difference, folks are over paid for the work they do.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This type of job isn't really intended to be long term. Also at a certain point a employees wage will continue to rise, but the additional experience he gets won't help him do his job better as theres really no room for improvement at a certain point. This type of person is from the companies standpoint draining more resources than he supplies and thus should be fired and new employee hired.

khain on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Clearly their executives believe that the best way to avoid becoming the next CompUSA is to become more like CompUSA. Clueless employees, and a grab & go environment with rapidly vanishing profit margins because nobody can attach to a sale or explain why a customer should buy the next model up from the loss-lead ad item.

I'm calling it early. Don't do your Christmas shopping in November this year. Wait until Circuit closes a shitload of their stores in January, and clean up at the liquidation sales.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    GorajaGoraja Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    khain wrote: »
    This type of job isn't really intended to be long term. Also at a certain point a employees wage will continue to rise, but the additional experience he gets won't help him do his job better as theres really no room for improvement at a certain point. This type of person is from the companies standpoint draining more resources than he supplies and thus should be fired and new employee hired.

I don't know about you, but I prefer to get advice from people that have actual experience in their field. There's a very tangible service quality moving between high-school wage slaves at Best Buy and the tech enthusiasts that have been working at Radio Shack for years.

Goraja on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wonder if the company is going to take into account that high turnover rates correlate to significantly higher rates of shrinkage. Also these employees are sure to be disgruntled and will take some sort of extra compensation.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I once applied for a Circuit City computer salesperson position, right out of college.

I was interviewed by no less than five people, each of whom said, "So you want to work in our music department?" "Uh, no, I'm responding to the ad in the paper for a computer salesperson." The fifth person finally leveled with me: they weren't going to hire me because I had too much computer experience and they prefer to use their computer department as training for their entry-level salespeople.

Fuck Circuit City.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    redx wrote: »
    seriously, it is fucking retail. Experience beyond about 3 months does not make a difference, folks are over paid for the work they do.

Bold'd for "Excuse the fuck out of me?"

Having worked retail for the vast majority of my adult life, I wouldn't say that there's ever been a single time in my life that I've come across a retail employee who was overpaid for what they do. Retail corporations make a ton of money off of the fact that their jobs are in high demand. They can hire at minimum wage or just barely above and still keep employees for a long time. The only ones they need to pay well are the management (sometimes not even that) and corporate.

Retail employees are the new blue collar worker of our service economy.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    KoekjesKoekjes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is a perfect example of why big box stores are garbage. They are more interested in maintaining a bottom line and cutting costs then supply excellent service. How did this countries corporations get to the point where they are more interested in kissing the a@@ of whiny investors than providing quality service from knowledgeable and well trained service reps? Why haven’t they figured out that long term stock growth is far better than the quickie spike you get from firing a bunch of employees? Mom and Pop stores may have been pricey but they understood that quality service and return customers are the life blood of a successful business.

Rule #1 when shopping at a big box store. Always know exactly what you’re looking for before you go.

I’m getting off the soap box now. This rant isn’t a much fun as I’d hoped.

Koekjes on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm curious as to how bad it's really going to get. How much worse can it get?

Probably a lot, but it's kind of disturbing to think about.

How would Francis Dalton feel if her job was given to someone new and she was thrown out on the street? Probably wouldn't be feelin' that too much.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    "Yeah, Bob. We're going to have to let you go. Oh no, you do a really great job here. You're an excellent employee. But you make too much money. Money that we'd rather see go to our bonuses. You understand, don't you? Yeah, it's a shame about having a mortgage and three kids to feed. But what doesn't kill them makes them stronger, right? So don't be a stranger, all right? We want you to spend some of that unemployment here, don'tcherknow."

Screw that noise. Working hard and paying your dues just doesn't count for much anymore.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Bad Kitty wrote: »
    I wonder if the company is going to take into account that high turnover rates correlate to significantly higher rates of shrinkage. Also these employees are sure to be disgruntled and will take some sort of extra compensation.

I wonder if they know that treating your employees like shit tends to have a strong, negative impact on customer-service.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I wonder if they know that treating your employees like shit tends to have a strong, negative impact on customer-service.

Silly VC, no big retail chains recognize this.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I would protest by never shopping there again but I haven't shopped there since I bought FF7 there when it first came out.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    defrag wrote: »

Starbucks.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Starbucks.

That's because Phillip Morris knows how to keep customers coming back for more.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Starbucks.

Starbucks = food service != retail. But point taken, nonetheless.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They aren't running a charity. And the employees aren't there just for the company, either. Its always amusing that they expect loyalty then give none in return.

The best thing for the remaining employees to do would be to find new jobs and then give two seconds (not weeks) notice.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Starbucks.

Starbucks = food service != retail. But point taken, nonetheless.

Yeah, coffee-shops are actually both.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    They aren't running a charity. And the employees aren't there just for the company, either. Its always amusing that they expect loyalty then give none in return.

The best thing for the remaining employees to do would be to find new jobs and then give two seconds (not weeks) notice.

No, they're running a company. And this is a particularly shitty way to do it. Don't give me that hyper-capitalist bullshit.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

None, eh? None at all? Don't show up on time, don't do their jobs, they all just come and go as they please and steal from the company at will, eh?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Frankly, people really shouldn't consider retail as any kind of permanent job, unless it's something that's so insanely specialized that finding a replacement can't happen.

I'm not defending the actions of the company, but this is pretty much how retail -works-. You get kids who need money while they're taking classes to handle sales, or old people who are bored out of their minds but who will die soon.

I worked retail for three and a half years, while getting through my GE courses and getting my sanity back.

It was a struggle to get a 30 cent raise there after two years, and my being one of their best employees.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Frankly, people really shouldn't consider retail as any kind of permanent job, unless it's something that's so insanely specialized that finding a replacement can't happen.

I'm not defending the actions of the company, but this is pretty much how retail -works-. You get kids who need money while they're taking classes to handle sales, or old people who are bored out of their minds but who will die soon.

I worked retail for three and a half years, while getting through my GE courses and getting my sanity back.

It was a struggle to get a 30 cent raise there after two years, and my being one of their best employees.

The problem with this is that most of the big retail chains and a large percentage of the smaller stores DO expect their employees to treat the jobs as permanent. A lot of retail jobs are really tough to get time off from, for example. When interviewing with retail companies, they often ask you how long you intend to stay with them if they hire you - heaven fucking forbid you answer anything less than "Why, forever, sir!"

I agree that this is still how they treat you once you are, in fact, hired. You're so expendable as a retail employee, you're constantly looking over your shoulder to make sure you're not being watched for every little mistake. It's a fucking nightmare.

Unfortunately, it's also the only thing a lot of people are qualified for. I've done nothing but retail work my entire life, and I haven't been able to figure out how to work my way elsewhere. It really sucks to be 25 and still applying for retail jobs, but a very large sector of the employed population is dependent on retail-level employment.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

No, they're running a company. And this is a particularly shitty way to do it. Don't give me that hyper-capitalist bullshit.

You read that exactly backwards. Read the second sentence and try to figure out how that's "hyper capitalist".

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

You read that exactly backwards. Read the second sentence and try to figure out how that's "hyper capitalist".

Man, what? Maybe you should just re-state it.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007

The problem with this is that most of the big retail chains and a large percentage of the smaller stores DO expect their employees to treat the jobs as permanent. A lot of retail jobs are really tough to get time off from, for example. When interviewing with retail companies, they often ask you how long you intend to stay with them if they hire you - heaven fucking forbid you answer anything less than "Why, forever, sir!"

I agree that this is still how they treat you once you are, in fact, hired. You're so expendable as a retail employee, you're constantly looking over your shoulder to make sure you're not being watched for every little mistake. It's a fucking nightmare.

Unfortunately, it's also the only thing a lot of people are qualified for. I've done nothing but retail work my entire life, and I haven't been able to figure out how to work my way elsewhere. It really sucks to be 25 and still applying for retail jobs, but a very large sector of the employed population is dependent on retail-level employment.

Tell me about it. I'm 27, managed to squeeze my way into an assistant manager position a year ago, and I'm fucking miserable. A nice, boring, monotonous office job spending 8 hours staring at three walls of a cubical sounds like heaven to me, but good fucking luck getting a callback for an interview when all I have on my resume is retail.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Defrag: Honestly, my experience with retail, I'd rather be in construction. Construction isn't fun. But they don't treat you like an animal nearly as much.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    the only way you'll manage a jump from retail into clerical is to start with temp agencies. They'll at least test your office skills even if you have no experience. If you can type and work a photcopier you'll score something.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Bionic: Yeah, I know how you feel. Exactly how you feel. My life has been a repeat of that process for a long time.

Incenjucar: I live in California. Construction is done entirely by migrant workers here, pretty much.

Cat: I suppose I could try that, but I'm not sure that would be the way I want to end up, either.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'd say look for data entry jobs and the like.

Groups like McGraw Hill (standardized testing agency, among other things) and the IRS have occasional periods of "We need a thousand monkeys for our thousand type writers."

My mom once landed a temp job with the first that turned in to a 25 year career, and got into a management position. She only left because she had risen too high for her shitty weak heart to handle, but she was making some damned good money before she left.

And I assure you, that's better for your resume than "I worked at Wal*Mart for a 25 years."

--

Defrag: I work in a general construction contractor's office in one of the most construction heavy parts of California, in a construction family, and still have my Carpenter's Union card, even though I don't touch tools anymore. You really shouldn't be telling -me- how construction works here. Why don't you tell TheCat about soil.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Defrag: I work in a general construction contractor's office in one of the most construction heavy parts of California, in a construction family, and still have my Carpenter's Union card, even though I don't touch tools anymore. You really shouldn't be telling -me- how construction works here. Why don't you tell TheCat about soil.
    IT'S A TRAP!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Shit - I'm not trying to tell you how it works. It's just what I've heard. I'd rather be wrong.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Doesn't this mean they'll have to spend more time and therefore money training in-experienced employees, have to deal with customers as they complain about the screw ups said less experienced employees tend to make, etc?

It seems like a stupid move.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Doesn't this mean they'll have to spend more time and therefore money training in-experienced employees, have to deal with customers as they complain about the screw ups said less experienced employees tend to make, etc?

"Retail-training" is a misnomer.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pata wrote: »

All those costs will be less then what they lose paying more experienced employees. As for happy customers? They only care so far. Plus most of retail jobs don't require that much experience for you to be adequate at them, which is all that's really expected of you.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The construction industry, while the low end does have a lot of immigrants and criminals, isn't much moreso than, say, -retail-.

Most of the people I've worked with were white, or near-white, and the only people I dealt with who didn't have English as their primary or only language were the unskilled LABORERS.

See, here's the thing. The unions? Especially the carpenter's union? They like people who are at least -reasonably- educated, and can read instructions, so as to live long productive lives which will bring in lots and lots of money (Seriously, the dues the unions charge are insane, you have no idea what a carpenter is worth -- and they're one of the lowest paid groups in construction until they hit management -- steel workers make a goddamn killing, when they don't fall off of skyscrapers by ignoring safety rules). The Unions also really hate it when you can't speak English proficiently.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/DLSR/PWD/index.htm

Right now, I think the starting, minimum wages you can get as a carpenter, first year union apprentice, is $16 an hour, in Fresno, which is pretty low in Cost-of-Living. Health and benefits and vacation kick in fairly soon. You will be trained. They will help you get jobs when projects are finished. You get unemployment if you don't screw up and get fired before a project is finished.

Again, Carpenters actually have some of the lowest basic wages. This is offset by them being the most likely to be put in a management position, where you can hit six figures if you play your cards right.

That said, you -do- earn all that money. That shit will wear you out like you wouldn't believe.

But I'd rather earn $30 an hour plus benefits than $8 an hour plus being fired when I'm there long enough to earn $9 an hour.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    its the same thing at a place like best buy - which has close to 100% turnover.

that means in a given year, nearly every single employee will either quit or be fired --> the latter often because they've been there too long and are being paid more than BB would like to be paying it's employees.

thats the official stat, but anecdotally, pretty much everyone I know and worked with at BB has either been fired over something relatively trivial (looking for reasons to can a person) or quit because everyone else was canned. and they get replaced with n00bs who know next to nothing, but will accept several dollars less in their hourly wage

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [QUOTE=defrag;1248392
    Man, what? Maybe you should just re-state it.[/QUOTE]

Fine: Yes, businesses aren't charities. They should keep in mind that works both ways. Most managers would be EXTREMELY pissed if you quit without warning for a 2-cent raise, but they do the equivalent to their employees without batting an eyelash. Its going to bite them in the ass eventually.

Deusfaux: yep. The last time I worked retail, I was there for one year. By the time I left, I was the third most senior employee there..

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fine: Yes, businesses aren't charities. They should keep in mind that works both ways. Most managers would be EXTREMELY pissed if you quit without warning for a 2-cent raise, but they do the equivalent to their employees without batting an eyelash. Its going to bite them in the ass eventually.
    Or, as my grandfather so aptly put it, "Be it ever so humble, there's no ass like your own. You want loyalty, buy a dog."

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    My loyalty is with my wallet.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

And the ones who have been there longest also will know the best ways to get stuff out of the store.

This is basically the Wal-Mart effect in action. It's a drive to the bottom; lower service, lower standards theoretically lead to lower costs, which bring in customers and raise profits. Of course, Circuit City is not Wal-Mart, I doubt they have the business structure to be able to run that way. Plus, they probably realize that having experienced, knowledgeable staff is not useful anymore, given that so many people get their info from the Innerweb these days.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X