Options

Gaming Laptop - Need general info

I'm considering getting a gaming laptop so I can go over to friend's houses for LAN parties and play games like FF14, Diablo 3, and Stacraft 2 primarily. Maybe Civ5 and League of Legends also.

I have been a desktop user my whole life, and I don't know much about the laptop world. What brands should I be looking at? Which have the best service records and lifespans?

How much should I expect to play to buy a modern laptop that can comfortably run the above mentioned games on medium settings without frame-rate issues or overheating issue?

Also, what sites give the most competitive prices for laptops? Should I be looking at Newegg? or some other site?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Depending on your price range, you may not need a real "gaming" laptop. Lenovo has some decent enough small notebooks like the Y-Series which have i7 CPU's and Nvidia 750M's: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/

If you're looking for something higher end and more "gamey", Clevo/Sager (same brand) always make good pieces and can be had form various resellers (IBuyPower and Newegg both carry them). If you want to go CRAAZZZYYYY and spend big dollars, there is always Falcon NW and Origin PC. They are super high end boutique machines.

AlienWare also makes not-terrible laptops, despite their overall reputation.

If I were getting a laptop to game on, personally I'd get a Lenovo Y series and call it good. Resign myself to playing on mostly medium settings and be happy with that for an on the go machine. I've had a DTR (desktop replacement) full on gaming laptop, and I found it to be less portable than I wanted and kind of a hassle in terms of heat management and battery life.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    There are some Acer and Asus models that have performed quite well under review. Check sites such as www.notebookcheck.com and www.anandtech.com

For laptops, you can search around to find some better prices. Newegg, Amazon, WalMart, Best Buy to name a few. If you can dig up some coupon codes or other promos, you may have better luck than sites like Newegg or Amazon. The toughest part is nailing down the model you want. After that, it's a matter of price comparison.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    you don't need a "gaming" laptop for any of those titles except maybe FF14

You just need a really good laptop with a dedicated mid to high range GPU

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I use an Asus G74SX as my main PC. It's run everything on your list with no noticeable slowdown. Ran me $1100 a year ago.
    The thing is huge and the battery is inadequate, so it's not great for traditional laptop tasks, but as a portable desktop replacement it's unbeatable. Great screen, fast as hell, and had room for an SSD.
    The only problem I've had is it has overheated a few times, but that's most likely due to my long hair cat clogging up its fans.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Whilst a GT750M will play most games on medium and be fine for general users doing some gaming, if you want a legit gaming machine (graphics settings on 'HIGH' at 1080p in FFXIV), you're going to want to step up into the proper enthusiast grade GTX mobile cards.

Get a Clevo/Sager. Or option up a real beast from AVADirect.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm considering getting a gaming laptop so I can go over to friend's houses for LAN parties and play games like FF14, Diablo 3, and Stacraft 2 primarily. Maybe Civ5 and League of Legends also.

I have been a desktop user my whole life, and I don't know much about the laptop world. What brands should I be looking at? Which have the best service records and lifespans?

How much should I expect to play to buy a modern laptop that can comfortably run the above mentioned games on medium settings without frame-rate issues or overheating issue?

Also, what sites give the most competitive prices for laptops? Should I be looking at Newegg? or some other site?

Alienware laptop refurbs from dell outlet is alot of bang for the buck. Dell refurbs are excellent quality and have high consumer ratings, and the prices are super competitive, especially if you wait on a "250$ off 1k" sale that they do all the time. You can get one of their 14" models for around 750 after sales/coupon codes and it will last you a few years for gaming.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    To answer your questions in rough order:
    Sager, Sager, Sager

http://www.xoticpc.com is basically the greatest god damn laptop dealer ever. Fantastic customer service, fast turnaround, tons of options, and great prices.

You can spend less than a grand and get something with a 750 in it that'll run those games but it may not necessarily run them cranked. For 1200 you can get something like this: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8235-clevo-p151sm1-p-5840.html with a 770 that'll do your games a lot better justice. If you've got cash to burn then fuck it, get something with a 780 in it because that rig will last you a lot, lot longer. I guess the first big question is "what's your budget?"

Oh, and overheating is really not a concern as long as you're getting a solidly built laptop. My new Sager has a 780 in it and a 4th gen i7 mobile processor and the keyboard area doesn't even get warm.
    AlienWare also makes not-terrible laptops, despite their overall reputation.
    Not terrible but not great and their prices tend to kinda suck.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    clevo/sager is the way and the light

best gaming laptop I ever built/confiured for the money

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I've never heard of Sager. Is there a good site to read some reviews of their products?

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Try notebookcheck. Sager rebrands ODM units (e.g. Clevos or Compals), so if you cannot find a particular Sager you may be able to find the ODM unit Sager rebrands. The Sager/reseller markup is mainly for their service, warranty extension, or screen/pixel guarantee.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    When I bought my Sager ~1998, I was a little worried that they might be some kind of fly by night company, but they were a really good deal, and were the only company offering a real Pentium in a notebook. I sold the thing to my dad a few years later, and I'm pretty sure the damn thing still runs.
    I still like my Asus, but if the Sager looks like a good deal I can vouch for the company selling good machines.

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    This is what I have. And it rocks, and didn't break my bank. Well technically I have the X60, but it's exactly the same specs except smaller size (I wanted smaller for more portability.)

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    And just to show I put my money where my mouth is, this is my latest Sager battlewagon. It's definitely more than what you're looking for but I figure it can't hurt to show that I ain't joking about how much I <3 em: http://i.imgur.com/Kaq538A.jpg
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I've never heard of Sager. Is there a good site to read some reviews of their products?
    http://www.notebookreview.com/ is another one to go with notebookcheck.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    tacticalheadachetacticalheadache Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Depending on your price range, you may not need a real "gaming" laptop. Lenovo has some decent enough small notebooks like the Y-Series which have i7 CPU's and Nvidia 750M's: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/

Yup, have to agree with GnomeTank there. Y series Lenovo notebooks are the best notebooks for gaming in terms of cost and reliability.

• Options
    For just about the same price you can get a Sager rig with a 770 in it. It'll last you a hellofalot longer and give you better performance.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    How long could a midrange Sager (one with a 780 in it, say, but without going right up to the top end of their range) be expected to keep up with new stuff? Would I be looking at replacing it in three years? Five? One and a half?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    How long could a midrange Sager (one with a 780 in it, say, but without going right up to the top end of their range) be expected to keep up with new stuff? Would I be looking at replacing it in three years? Five? One and a half?

somewhere around 3-5 years. Depending on how hard you are on it, and if it survives the heat that higher end cpu/gpu tend to output in laptops. More likely to break before it stops being able to play games, but that's the way most laptops go.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks Foomy

• Options
    My last one had a 280 in it and after 5 years it was still going strong for the most part. Some of the new stuff was starting to wear it down though like Metro: Last Light (no surprise there though) and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. Other than those really intensive games though (which I could still play, just not on high) it was chugging along just fine.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The problem I have with *most* Sagers is they are..........less-than-portable-friendly, if you get them built out. I'm willing to give them a look, still; that's just my experience.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    The problem I have with *most* Sagers is they are..........less-than-portable-friendly, if you get them built out. I'm willing to give them a look, still; that's just my experience.

Carryink heavy laptop all day, make get strong like bull!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Thanks everyone for the replies. After some research, consideration, and reading your recommendations, I ordered a Lenovo Y510.

Got it delivered Monday night and I've been in the process of scrubbing windows of all the junk programs. I installed Diablo 3 and ran a test game with a friend. It performs admirably well.

I ran into a weird video driver issue, and the screen flickers pretty badly in a couple of my games. Did some research online and discovered that full-screen mode is to blame. The work-around is to play in borderless windowed mode.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Carryink heavy laptop all day, make get strong like bull!

If you're building out a 17'' sager, then yeah, its less then optimal to be portable. all 17''s are. The 15.6'' I have is actually quite good weight/size wise.

I'd say the modern sager models are better then the older ones in that regard though, I remember a coworker having an older sager 17'' about 4 years ago, and that thing was a monster even compared to some of the alienwares of today. I don't know why he put up with it.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

Nah, my old one is no heavier than your average work laptop. It's just a regular, pretty unassuming 15.6" laptop. Granted, the assload of vents in the back is kind of a giveaway that something ain't right there but other than that it's pretty much normal laptop size and weight. My new one is huge but that was intentional on my part

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    I was looking pretty hard at the lenovo Y series when I was in the market for a laptop. For me the cost was more than I wanted to pay, but they were very well priced. I ended up catching a sale on Newegg for a decent acer with an amd a10 and a 7670m for right at 500. Keep an eye out for sales, and remember the big shopping holidays are upon us, so someone is bound to try and slash prices on something you want.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843