As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Congress: Breaking Your Hearts Since 2010

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Oh look, the Kochs would like to distance themselves from all this after Reid called them out on the Senate floor. (PDF)

I mean, if you ignore the glaring, giant money trail, you might be able to believe they had nothing to do with it.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I wonder.

I've got a USD credit card.

If the debt limit explodes and the USD tanks, that makes that card a lot easier to pay off.

Maybe I should move some of my other credit card debt onto that card, then pay it off cheaper later?

That said, if it's significantly cheaper to do this, there are going to be more than enough problems going on that "missing out on some cheap debt repayment" won't be so bad.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I wonder.

If the debt limit explodes and the USD tanks, that makes that card a lot easier to pay off.

Maybe I should move some of my other credit card debt onto that card, then pay it off cheaper later?

That said, if it's significantly cheaper to do this, there are going to be more than enough problems going on that "missing out on some cheap debt repayment" won't be so bad.

Honestly, if the debt limit explodes enough to make that worthwhile, things are probably so fucked it doesn't much matter anyway.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I wonder.

The USD will drop a bit, but interest rates will go up, so it might be a wash.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Also, we might default on our debt and launch a global depression in which the only valid currencies are bottle caps and sadness.

Bullshit. Money needs to be at least somewhat scarce to be viable. In a post-default world, sadness could never work as currency.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Also if the USD tanks, your currency is going to be affected in some way, and I doubt it will be positive.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    So on the news down here in Kiwiland last night, there was a story that the CIA was recalling all non-essential field operatives (including some undercover agents, logistics support staff and others).

And on the news this morning there was a report that due to the US Government shutdown, that scientists and logistics support staff at the research base in Antarctica were also being recalled back to the states, which of course jeopardizes a lot more than just American science and stuff.

The main thing is that the world down here is just shaking their heads and I'm starting to pretend that I'm canadian on the phone with customer just to get them to leave me alone about Congress.

I will sign a piece of paper stating you are a verified Canadian, if it helps

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Plus there's usually a transfer fee that you'd have to eat, and if congress actually gets their heads out of their asses and takes care of the debt ceiling, you'll have eaten the fee for no reason.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I wonder.

Such as you pay off your existing debt, and then incur some wonderful new debt trying to pay for $500 loaves of bread.

• Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I wonder.

Such as you pay off your existing debt, and then incur some wonderful new debt trying to pay for $500 loaves of bread.

So... A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I finally found a house we both liked, and we started the purchasing process. Then all of this shit happened. At least I'm not directly on the government dole, but it's not been a great month to be a contract researcher either. We're running out of money from the previous funding increment, and all the people who would cut us a new check for our next quarter's worth of work are furloughed.

On the upside, I really like the taste of liquor.

I honestly hope it won't come to some sort of economic apocalypse, but I'm glad we've already started getting the loan, because interest rates are gonna go up real soon now.

So, I hear that Obama is having some Republicans over to discuss the debt ceiling and the CR issues tomorrow. I wonder if anything will come of it.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    If you believe the USD will tank the old thing you should be doing with your credit cards is maxing them on the guns<->food<->booze trinity.

Worse case: USD tanks, you get to be high-warlord of your neighborhood.
    Best case: USD doesn't tank, you get to have one hell of a party, maybe your friends leave you $10 to help cover the costs.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    MSNBC: Administration staffer describes "Default Truthers" as "These are the type of people who get eaten by bears."

bwahahaha

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    seabass wrote: »
    Seagram's 7 Stone Cherry Whiskey
    Cheap, strong, and tastes just enough like bad cough syrup so you know you've hit rock bottom.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I wonder.

Honestly, if the debt limit explodes enough to make that worthwhile, things are probably so fucked it doesn't much matter anyway.

Recommend moving his liquid assets into bottlecaps.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Psychiatrists Deeply Concerned For 5% Of Americans Who Approve Of Congress
    WASHINGTON—Noting that the individuals in question may be extremely mentally disturbed or suffering from a serious psychological illness, the nation’s psychiatrists announced Wednesday that they are deeply concerned for the estimated 5 percent of Americans who were found in nationwide polls this week to approve of the U.S. Congress. “With numerous members of Congress refusing to negotiate an end to the shutdown in the face of widespread federal furloughs and a looming deadline to avoid defaulting on government debt, we are extremely concerned for the mental health of those Americans who responded, ‘Yes, we think Congress is doing a good job,’” psychiatrist Dr. Donald Levin said in a press conference this morning, telling reporters that the estimated 15.5 million Americans who approve of Congress are likely “very troubled” citizens who may in fact be experiencing psychotic episodes or delusional thoughts. “We’re not entirely sure who these people are or where they come from—perhaps they are psych ward patients, or unstable recluses living in remote huts on the outskirts of society—but what we do know is that they are extremely disconnected from reality and in need of immediate attention if they are not already receiving it. We need to find these people and get them the help they need before their illnesses get worse.” Psychiatrists added that because a number of mental health services are currently furloughed, many respondents would just have to “sit tight and hang in there” until the shutdown is resolved.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Seriously. When you see fucking Lloyd Blankfein (head of Goldman Sachs) telling you something is a bad idea for the markets, you listen. If anyone can make money off this clusterfuck, it's them, and even they THINK IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    WASHINGTON—Noting that the individuals in question may be extremely mentally disturbed or suffering from a serious psychological illness, the nation’s psychiatrists announced Wednesday that they are deeply concerned for the estimated 5 percent of Americans who were found in nationwide polls this week to approve of the U.S. Congress. “With numerous members of Congress refusing to negotiate an end to the shutdown in the face of widespread federal furloughs and a looming deadline to avoid defaulting on government debt, we are extremely concerned for the mental health of those Americans who responded, ‘Yes, we think Congress is doing a good job,’” psychiatrist Dr. Donald Levin said in a press conference this morning, telling reporters that the estimated 15.5 million Americans who approve of Congress are likely “very troubled” citizens who may in fact be experiencing psychotic episodes or delusional thoughts. “We’re not entirely sure who these people are or where they come from—perhaps they are psych ward patients, or unstable recluses living in remote huts on the outskirts of society—but what we do know is that they are extremely disconnected from reality and in need of immediate attention if they are not already receiving it. We need to find these people and get them the help they need before their illnesses get worse.” Psychiatrists added that because a number of mental health services are currently furloughed, many respondents would just have to “sit tight and hang in there” until the shutdown is resolved.

At this point, it didn't even occur to me initially that this was an Onion article...

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Bill Young of Florida, the longest-serving House Republican, is announcing retirement after this term.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

At this point, it didn't even occur to me initially that this was an Onion article...

I knew it was an Onion article because they only said '5%.'

• Options
    Bill Young of Florida, the longest-serving House Republican, is announcing retirement after this term.

I keep hearing this is key for a Democrat pickup, but that seems fairly unlikely to me.

What with Florida and all.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I wonder.

So... A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I finally found a house we both liked, and we started the purchasing process. Then all of this shit happened. At least I'm not directly on the government dole, but it's not been a great month to be a contract researcher either. We're running out of money from the previous funding increment, and all the people who would cut us a new check for our next quarter's worth of work are furloughed.

I honestly hope it won't come to some sort of economic apocalypse, but I'm glad we've already started getting the loan, because interest rates are gonna go up real soon now.

So, I hear that Obama is having some Republicans over to discuss the debt ceiling and the CR issues tomorrow. I wonder if anything will come of it.

Not sure. Has he bought the Rains of Castamere on I-tunes recently?

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    You know what, I'm going to spoiler that since it's a Game of Thrones reference and people get mad
    Talk about a Red Wedding

Chanus on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I wonder.

Recommend moving his liquid assets into bottlecaps.

Wouldn't you move liquid assets into bottles, and use bottlecaps to secure your liquid assets?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Oh look, the Kochs would like to distance themselves from all this after Reid called them out on the Senate floor. (PDF)

This kind of stuff makes me remember that reporter who pretended to be from the Kochs and the sheer deference with which he was treated.

I'm honestly curious what the phone calls between them and members of the house sound like right now.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    While it might not seem like it, there is actually a legislative branch in our country. They are ostensibly there to pass laws and manage our budget, even though they have decided not to actually do these things because of Reasons.

Also, we might default on our debt and launch a global depression in which the only valid currencies are bottle caps and sadness.

Will catastrophe be averted? Who is to blame for this clusterfuck, anyway?

Discuss!

Man if sadness is the new currency I am going to go off my meds and be so fucking rich

(Just kidding, I'm actually not on my meds right now!)

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    zepherin wrote: »
    My furlough beard brought down the previous thread. I can only say that Ted Cruz made me do it.

cruz-300x202.jpg

Why is Ted Cruz pointing a black dildo at that picture of a gun?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    My furlough beard brought down the previous thread. I can only say that Ted Cruz made me do it.

cruz-300x202.jpg

He just loves guns that much

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/gallup-gop-favorability-plunges-to-record-low

Only 28 percent of Americans have a favorable opinion of the Republican Party, according to findings from Gallup released Wednesday.

That number represents a nadir for either party since Gallup began asking the question in 1992 and a 10-point drop for the GOP from a month ago. Sixty-two percent said they have an unfavorable opinion of the Republican Party.

Conversely, Gallup found that Americans are more split when it comes to Democrats. Forty-three percent said they have a favorable opinion of the Democratic Party, compared with almost half — 49 percent — who said they have an unfavorable opinion.

According to Gallup, which recently found support for the tea party dropping to a record low, about one in four Americans view both of the two major parties unfavorably.

The chart below tracks the public's views of the two parties in Gallup's polling since the early 1990s.

gallup-republican-party-favorability-all-time-low-2013.jpg
    They managed to piss people off more than the whole blow job fiasco?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Nobody actually cared about that, because that's the type of petty bullshit expected of Congress.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Seriously. When you see fucking Lloyd Blankfein (head of Goldman Sachs) telling you something is a bad idea for the markets, you listen. If anyone can make money off this clusterfuck, it's them, and even they THINK IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA.

'Look guys, with a few loopholes, tricks and one weird tip (don't even say it, I swear I'll push you out that window), we could make an absolute killing on this.

Unfortunately, the collapse of society would lead to actual killing shortly thereafter.

We really shouldn't burn down the most powerful nation on the planet, it's where we keep most of our stuff. Also, it'd drag a lot of other places down with us, and that's where the rest of our stuff is.'

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

cruz-300x202.jpg

That's clearly a buttplug.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/gallup-gop-favorability-plunges-to-record-low

Only 28 percent of Americans have a favorable opinion of the Republican Party, according to findings from Gallup released Wednesday.

That number represents a nadir for either party since Gallup began asking the question in 1992 and a 10-point drop for the GOP from a month ago. Sixty-two percent said they have an unfavorable opinion of the Republican Party.

Conversely, Gallup found that Americans are more split when it comes to Democrats. Forty-three percent said they have a favorable opinion of the Democratic Party, compared with almost half — 49 percent — who said they have an unfavorable opinion.

According to Gallup, which recently found support for the tea party dropping to a record low, about one in four Americans view both of the two major parties unfavorably.

The chart below tracks the public's views of the two parties in Gallup's polling since the early 1990s.

Blow Job Fiasco?
    And from those figures it follows that the time is now.
    US Arcadians rise up and form a political party.
    Is international bankrolling of a party permitted?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Wasn't Gallup's election polling last year off by, like, 7 points towards the GOP or something ridiculous?

That number could very well be 21%.

Also, considering the Crazification Factor is around 27% does this mean that every non-insane person in the country has finally realized that these guys are apocalyptic shitlords?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

cruz-300x202.jpg

That's clearly a buttplug.

They're talking about the little black thing, not the guy holding the item.

• Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I wonder.

Not sure. Has he bought the Rains of Castamere on I-tunes recently?

"THE PROLETARIAT SEND THEIR REGARDS"

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

That's a good thing since this is a way bigger deal

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/ceos-seek-big-deal-to-end-shutdown-debt-crisis-98074.html?hp=l1
    After days of watching the government closure and debt ceiling standoff from the sidelines, companies and trade associations are jumping into the fray, hoping to seize a rare moment in D.C. when a deal has to happen. And they prefer it be a big deal, with changes to entitlement programs, the tax code and spending cuts that normally would have no chance of passing.

Senior-level executives, outside groups, in-house company lobbyists and strategists have begun calling the White House and members of Congress to impress upon them the disastrous prospect of a default on the economy and business. The message, according to sources familiar with the conversations, is that waiting until the last minute to lift the debt ceiling could cause damage to the economy. At the same time, the nation’s current level of borrowing isn’t sustainable, the business leaders are saying.

But the critical talking point to the White House and Congress is this: While they’re putting out these fires, leaders ought to deal with long-overdue tax and entitlement reform.
    Oh no, fuck any grand bargain. It is just going to fuck over the poor while almost certainly caving into Republicans on taxes.

Also, fuck austerity.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/10/08/obama_s_shutdown_analogies_a_complete_list_of_the_analogies_president_obama.html

They get into more detail with the quotes, but here's the list:
    Employees Who Confuse Themselves For Kidnappers
    Actual Kidnappers Demanding a Ransom
    Half-Kidnappers, Half-Pranksters
    Habitual Hostage-Takers With a Flair For Hyperbole
    Video Game-Loving Homeowners Who Demand Perks for Paying Their Mortgage
    Homeowners Irrationally Choosing to Be Deadbeats
    Potential Homebuyers Turned Would-Be Arsonists
    Small Business Employees Turned Would-Be Arsonists
    Butchers
    Children
    Children Who Believe in Magic
    Children Who Believe In Magic and Maybe Werewolves

There's some other amusing stuff over at the link.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I said it before but the president's stance should be NO talking about deficit reduction with a gun to our heads

after that, "the deficit is going down on its own, why risk the recovery until that stops being the case?"

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I said it before but the president's stance should be NO talking about deficit reduction with a gun to our heads

after that, "the deficit is going down on its own, why risk the recovery until that stops being the case?"

Fortunately, that's been his expressed stance and he seems to be sticking to it so far.

His presser yesterday was basically forty five minutes of him saying that over and over, then answering some misc. other questions because business still goes on.

zagdrob on
This discussion has been closed.