Options

SpaceBase DF-9: Space Dwarf Fortress by Double Fine

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited October 2013 in Games and Technology
i5jMHVFZooZWf.png
Homepage | Wiki | Official Forums | twitter | Tumblr | Purchase from Double Fine | Steam Early Access

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYVKyzbF11Q

igSKTPQHHbxD6.png
Sci-fi Dwarf Fortress from Double Fine. That's... pretty much the pitch. Check out this interview with Rock Paper Shotgun which talks about the game. This is one of the games from Double Fine's latest Amnesia Fortnight, if you remember that. You can grab it on Steam Early Access right now if you want.

igYMRJjfIbdhg.png

igVIU7OzFyayA.png

ilfv7UMrh7l8m.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkf4l8O7b24

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Harumph shouldn't these guys be finishing their kickstar *plays video*

Okay, GIMMME NOW.

EDIT - it's out now on early access! Man this came out of nowhere.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    €23 on steam early access. I'm tempted.

wilting on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Crap.

All that sleep I was planning on having.

Why... why would you do this to me, Double Fine? Whyyyyyyyy?

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    welp i just dropped $20 on it.

I think it was money well spent.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Where the hell did this come from?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Where the hell did this come from?
    The Double Fine Amnesia Fortnight.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    My worst nightmares.

Only thing that would make it worse if it had been a combination of this and Kerbal Space Program.

Dodged a bullet on that one, I guess.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Seems cool. Dunno if I will pony up for early access (I don't think I should have to pay to help develop a game), but I really like Double Fine.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Seems cool. Dunno if I will pony up for early access (I don't think I should have to pay to help develop a game), but I really like Double Fine.
    Every time you buy a game you pay to help develop it. It's just that with most games, you pay after the game is developed, which means someone is out a ton of money and fucked if the game doesn't sell.

• Options
  • Options
    super excited to play this in an hour, maybe i should stream to twitch?

• Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    Talk about coincidence. I finally got around to playing the Fortnight prototypes literally yesterday. This one seems decent, could maybe have used a tutorial. I didn’t get too deep into it but looked pretty close to shippable.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Ok, that looks really cool. I'm a sucker for games like this.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    that video also sold me when a ship came and permanently docked with the space station. that was fucking awesome and was not expected.

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Also, killer parasite burger.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Let me just be the first to say "HNGURGH" Doublefine. You're killin' me. This was the standout of amnesia fortnight for me, but I'm broke after having to buy a phone. So, I shall live vicariously through you, thread, for a week.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    fyi I'm going to start playing this now, and maybe talk about it

edit: also yell at me if its not working and/or i am super loud because i've never really streamed things live before

I also shut off my mic because I have no good commentary, huzzah!

second edit: done for now since I have to watch agents of shield

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Oh, you crazy space pirates.

Tip #1: Don't invade a freshly-built chunk of station that has no doors built to it yet. You'll get lonely.

Tip #2: When the other pirate ship connects to another piece of the station, don't shoot out the walls of the thin, flimsy hallway as your first move.

Tip #3: Definitely don't try to run across that narrow chunk of station which is now exposed to space because, well, fwoosh.

Also, one of the thoughts one of my builders had was looking forward to playing Psychonauts 4. Got a laugh outta that one.

And the Dwarf Fortress theme is strong here. Restarted my first station after getting the basics, then all the space dudes at my next station asphyxiated literally seconds after a couple of new dudes showed up. New guys also died. The next station, still didn't quite get that O2 generator up and running in time, for another Team-Building Asphyxiation Exercise. And pirates are crawling all over/getting sucked out the new base, so yeah, fun times.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    yeah, i ran into a bug with a docked ship that the airlock was broken and anyone who was in it basically got stuck there, so I started over, after I started over the next 2 places I went had no asteroids to mine, so my current base has no asteroids, I am depending on pirates to dock so I can eat up their ships to expand my station haha

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Every time you buy a game you pay to help develop it. It's just that with most games, you pay after the game is developed, which means someone is out a ton of money and fucked if the game doesn't sell.

I understand what they're selling, but I don't really want to pay money for an unfinished game, which I would probably not be interested in playing at "release." Crowd funding is a bit weird, and not risk free. But I don't want to derail this thread so I'm not going to say anything else on it. I still think the game looks cool and I'll be keeping an eye on it!

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    So psyched for this. I wish I wasn't so broke right now though.

Dwarf Fortress might be my favorite human endeavor to date. Pyramids shmyramids, I say. They don't even simulate fingernails or rain or anything.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Man, if and when I've the money, this seems like a game I can sink my teeth into. The amusement of Dwarf fortress, without the interface issues I have with DF

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    My twitch stream is up again for awhile before I go play dnd on vent later, so feel free to watch if you need a fix

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I pretty much have to choose between this and X: Rebirth for the foreseeable future.

Sorry, Doublefine. :cry: I'll catch you later.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I saw someone tweeting about this earlier and I thought "wouldn't it be cool if this was like Dwarf Fortress but in space" and now my eyelid won't stop TWITCHING

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Man, if and when I've the money, this seems like a game I can sink my teeth into. The amusement of Dwarf fortress, without the interface issues I have with DF

Gnomoria is also Dwarf Fortress with a real interface. I like the shit out of it too but I don't play it nearly enough. That's why I'm not buying this right away, I'm afraid I wouldn't play it enough to justify the expense.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    well i am still super hyped for spacebase, but I've already built everything you can currently build, so at the moment I am just waiting for more content

in the meantime i'm going to go play startopia

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    JesDerJesDer Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Matev wrote: »

Gnomoria is also Dwarf Fortress with a real interface. I like the shit out of it too but I don't play it nearly enough. That's why I'm not buying this right away, I'm afraid I wouldn't play it enough to justify the expense.

Gnomoria is more Dwarf Fortress Lite. It lacks the depth that DF has. I actually get kinda sad when people compare all these games to DF. It does not do either of them justice. DF has had many years of development to make it an extremely complex simulation hidden behind a horrible interface and because of its interface, it doesn't run into the problem of needing to focus on how to represent its complexity.

With that said, this game looks cool and I will have to check it out... I am just not expecting anything close to Dwarf Fortress.

• Options
    The comparison to Dwarf Fortress is not about the complexity, it's about the emergent behavior in your base building game that results from the moods and preferences of all the little people and the disastrous things that can happen to them.

• Options
    now I play the waiting game for the next content update, as it is fairly barebones currently. I sense great promise though, I'm not disappointed there isn't more to do, I'm just excited for more to be added.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    So initial thoughts: awesome, needs more stuff? I think I shall pick this up!

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I'm hoping this turns out to be a good Space Station 13 simulator.

Looks to be on the right track!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    It looks fairly barebones for now, but what they have is excellent.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    SunstrandSunstrand Registered User regular
    Played this for a while last night. First Starbase project codenamed:Oxygen? resulted in total loss of crew due to not being able to remove their suits. Second Starbase project codenamed: Seriously we need oxogen! also resulted in total loss of crew.

My third attempt went better, built everything up and have 20 19, crew members and one corpsicle floating outside my main airlock.

I can't wait for more features, I'm a fan of DF but could never really get into.

BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
  • Options
    Updated development plans indicate a food system is what's being worked on now:
    FOOD/GARDENS
    * citizens have hunger need and must eat food to satisfy it
    * food replicator object that can be built in any zone
    * citizens can use food replicator to fulfill hunger need, but it's like vending machine food, adequate but not great
    * small matter cost (1-2) each time someone uses a food replicator
    ** 0 matter = replicators stop working
    * garden zones where plants, ie "real food", is grown in hydroponic trays by citizens with botanist duty
    * plants in gardens produce small amounts of extra oxygen
    * citizens who spend time in garden zones have happy thoughts, increasing morale
    * plants grow from seedlings to full-sized plants ready for harvest
    * plants have a "health", if it reaches zero the plant dies
    * citizens on botanist duty "maintain" plant health, much as techs maintain machines
    * citizens can eat raw veggies/fruits/etc to fulfill hunger - better than replicator food, but not as tasty and happiness-inducing as a cooked meal
    * botanists harvest fully grown plants and deliver them to pub fridges for preparation
    * bartenders at pubs use stoves to cook plants into meals, which nourish citizens more and make them happy
    ** bartender randomly selects which dish is cooked from global list of randomly generated foods
    ** new immigrants will sometimes bring new recipes, which are added to the global list
    ** citizens have food preferences
    ** eating a preferred food makes them very happy, eating a strongly disliked food makes them a bit unhappy
    * citizens sit at a pub table and eat, getting nourishment and a morale boost
    * skilled bartenders make people they serve happier

MISC UI
    * cutaway mode should work on asteroids

METEOR STRIKES
    * meteors strike bases, punching holes in the hull, depressurizing rooms, damaging people and things
    ** not as harsh as in the Amnesia Fortnight 2012 version, we promise :]
    * "panic alarm" env object can be built in any zone which can be activated by player to clear room, so citizens have a chance to survive

• Options
    nice, time to play some spacebase tonight I think. I can't wait for this to flesh out more like startopia

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Nice update.

I've noticed I can't really delete doors...anyone know how to do that?

Also...I'm not a fan of some of the random events...suddenly a piece of base will just show up near mine.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Updated development plans indicate a food system is what's being worked on now:
    * citizens on botanist duty "maintain" plant health, much as techs maintain machines

... so they're saying they're going to light all the plants on fire, then?

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    This looks awesome, I'm definitely looking forward to its completion. This thread prompted me to go play DF again, but it's been so long since I actually played seriously that I ended up doing kind of horrible. Not everyone dead horrible, just everyone starting to die during the first winter when the booze ran out and the brook was frozen solid. Came out of it and got a huge influx of settlers in the spring, but I realized I didn't like how things were going and that I'd chosen numerous things poorly at the start. But that's all part of the fun!

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405