As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AAF, ESF, QRS, WWW [Magicka: Wizard Wars]

Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny JackieRegistered User regular
So, Magicka was an insanely popular indy project by Arrowhead in which you took the role of one of four wizards and quested forwards, combining elements, spamming lightning and causing friendly fire incidents on all your friends.

After many adventures through Veitnam, Lovecraftian universe and a whole wardrobe of hats the mysterious lord Pardox decided to ressurect this particular cash cow in a new form:

Magicka-Wizard-Wars-Is-Not-a-MOBA-Says-Developer.jpg?1364373073

Magicka: Wizard Wars is the competitive multiplayer spin off of Magicka. Produced by Paradox North the game is a free to play title that takes Magicka's frantic spell casting and friendly fire and ports it to a 4v4 arena environment. It's currently in very early alpha and as a result requires you to either buy in access or luck into an alpha key. At the moment there's only one set of spells, a few gear items and one map though there's still 180ish spell combinations.

Significant changes from Magicka are:

1) Wizards can now take about four or so times the amount of beating they used to be able to take. As a result of this the PVP is more counter spells and teamfighting rather than quickdraw with arcane beams.

2) Formal spells such as haste and revive are no longer freely available to use. Instead they're at the bottom of your screen in the form of a super meter that builds as you play and bound to 1 through 4. The current alpha spells in order of power required are: Haste, AOE Revive, Summon Death and the classic Meteor Storm

3) You can only combine 3 elements at once, not 5. This was done to prevent a massive balancing head ache.

4) Self cast shield now no longer puts a shield around you. Instead it wards you from the elements you've queued up for 50% protection each. For example: ESS is 100% immunity to death damage where as ESF is 50% reduction to both fire and death. If you self cast shield with no other elements you create a 360 shield around you.

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Based on these two tweets, it sounds like those who signed up early are getting their access sent chronologically:

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Bought my alpha access. Really had a ton of fun with the first game.
    The engine in this game is way smoother than the original.
    Cant wait till this goes retail, and I don't have to wait 5 minutes for a match.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Well it'll be going free to play not retail.

In the mean time if you can stomach some lag europe's queue times are apparently much shorter than the US's

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    So I randomly started up vanilla Magicka for some hot wizard action, loading up the unplayed Lovecraftian horror DLC. On my way to dying 50+ times to that goddamn spider-bitch-fuckface I noticed a little advert for Wizard Wars. After said stomping I thought I'd give that a go instead. Aaaaaaand holy shit this game is awesome.

The game is still in alpha, but definitely feeling very stable and pretty much feature complete to me. There are a few "OP" spell combos, but on the whole most things are counterable if you're quick enough (some pure BS out there, but most people don't bother with it it seems). A fair few more "super" spells are in now. There's now at least 3 per level of spell.

They've just released a dual mode instead of the standard king of the hill, two dudes duke it out while two more watch and wait their turn. I kinda prefer the madness of four on four, but it's cool honing 1v1 abilities, makes for some epic plays!

I'm not quite sure how I ended up in the Alpha, I guess because I bought the original game early on or something? Either way more people should play this, Steam stuffs are in my sig if anyone fancies a game. It's all dualing at the moment

Can't wait to see what they do with some more fleshed out game modes and such.

Campy on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Just found out I have this because of Paradox being awesome and giving a copy to everyone who has M&B as some kind of parting gift to commemorate Taleworlds striking out on their own. Yeah that still doesn't make much sense to me, but hey I love Magicka so I'll be checking this out for sure.

• Options
    Ahhh, I guess it's because of M&B then, the game that keeps giving (/taking my spare time away).

So just a quick post to say that now miiiight not be the best time to jump is as a newbie. Seems matchmaking isn't exactly a priority at this point in alpha, which is fair enough of course. In 4v4s this tends to balance out between the abilities of the team. However in 1v1 being up against someone outside of your skill level is just brutal. I myself can just stomp on some players, while simultaneously being ground into a fine powder by dudes with fancy robes. The times you do end up with someone with similar skills can lead to some truly epic battles though. They're currently stress testing 1v1 (found a few bugs myself), but 4v4 will make a return soon enough I'm told.

I'm not sure if private matches are possible at the moment, but if anyone wants to jump in and practice a bit without worrying about getting smashed then let me know.

• Options
    So having randomly decided to have a go after a while off, it seems Wizard Wars has gone open beta as of yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1jz_k88-7M

The servers are currently down for a hotfix (of course), but there's a whole new map and some other stuff in the beta patch.