As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, October 21, 2013 - Unicology

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    I'm betting the odd coloring is due to Flux and forgetting to disable it.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Not his best work.

• Options
    DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Comics like this are little gifts to the comic editors and avatar makers. Dem faces!

DCAarmus on
  • Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    Not either of their best works. However to stop reading PA because of this makes you even more silly than the middle panel.

• Options
    Joshua RotellaJoshua Rotella Registered User new member
    blueink wrote: »
    Hmn... I prefer calling it a 'glory' of unicorns, myself. Guess it comes from reading too much Bruce Coville while growing up.

I registered for these forums specifically to make that post. Looks like you did, too. Glad to find another BC fan!

• Options
    FulgoreFulgore Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I will say this comic doesn't really upset me like it does for a lot of other people that have commented so far and I will agree that the coloring is somewhat off/strange, but I think it's possibly done purposely for an atmospheric reason..? (I'm not sure, no need to get anal about my theory now) But I will say that if you read this in the right voice, it makes the comic all that much funnier.

Fulgore on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    The coloring bothers me more than the faces, but maybe there is a purpose to it?

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    The coloring bothers me more than the faces, but maybe there is a purpose to it?

This comic shows us how unicorns see the world, and how they see Gabe's face.

• Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    This comic shows us how unicorns see the world, and how they see Gabe's face.

Try it. Merely talking about unicorns lightens the world around you and bathes everything in an otherworldy pastel glow.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I cannot stop laughing at Gabe's panel 3 face

seriously

call a doctor

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    you know ....

the more I look at the second panel, the more I can't help laughing.

• Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    If you've been drawing the same thing the same way day in day out for ten years I think you'd also be inclined to experiment with your art style. You try things some times. Some times you try things multiple times, even if you maybe didn't like it the first time. That's how you grow as an artist. It's a process that never ends. PA 5 years from now will look quite different from the PA now. This isn't like Peanuts, where there's a set character model. Gabe will be influenced by the other projects going on at Penny-Arcade and other art Gabe has seen. He's trying to spice things up and push things.

So yea you don't like it, but make an attempt to see things from his perspective. He's been drawing this comic with the same characters for 10 years. He's bored. He wants to improve as an artist. So he's going to push things. Test his artistic muscles, fail some times, but also gain new insight for later art. It's a slow growing process that will continue for the rest of his life. That's what an artist's life is like. An endless climb up hill, to reach taller and taller peaks, constantly stumbling and losing footing in the pursuit of newer heights. We should respect his pursuit of his own creative fulfillment and not from peer pressure of his fans. A lot of times we complain about corporate influence on what artists have to say, but then we try and exert our own influence on the artist.

• Options
    Tss_fanTss_fan Registered User regular
    I am glad im not the only one commenting on the art this time. Is this Mike Experimenting or have there been guest artists that we arent told about because the past few weeks there have been a lot of "this doenst look like mike" comics.

Are we going to see a blog post like we did with the trenches or PVP where they say "you have been looking at a different artist the whole time and didnt know it" to which everyone replies, "Ahhh yeah, we noticed, we even talked about it"

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Perhaps the art is reflective of the nonsensical nature of the strip to begin with.

But what do I know. I'm just a unicorn.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Perhaps the art is reflective of the nonsensical nature of the strip to begin with.

But what do I know. I'm just a unicorn.

A bunch of people should probably throw a shit-fit about it, though, just in case.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    SeileighSeileigh Registered User new member
    I guess it's just me, I was hoping for a Dead Space Unitology joke, but with unicorns. A blessing of Unitologists would be interesting.

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    This is a wonderful comic to start the week, and the malcontents herein ought be ignored.

After all, if this one doesn't tickle your fancy, there's always Wednesday, and then Friday, and so on and so forth...

• Options
    edited October 2013

Me, I keep going back to this comic and looking at panel two over and over. Probably half a dozen times so far today. I can't stop.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    I really wish Mike would draw the comics sort of like he did, I dunno, 6-8 years ago? The proportions seemed to be so much more....I don't know what. Example, http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/08/01. Then just hit "Next Comic" or "Previous Comic." I know it's a matter of opinion but I really don't like this style. This particular comic is intentional I think, but Gabe still looks ghastly even by that standard. :-(

• Options
    hateseededhateseeded Registered User regular
    The best part is the juxtaposition between Gabe in this comic vs from Friday.

I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-a to chimpanzee.
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    WE FEAR CHANGE

NEVER CHANGE ANYTHING EVER

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    wait no, the other thing, change is good, because never growing is dumb.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    This thread kind of reminds me of the Great Fuzzy Art Scandal of 2003.
    (that's one of my favorite comics)

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Me, I keep going back to this comic and looking at panel two over and over. Probably half a dozen times so far today. I can't stop.

Gabe you were thinking that it is hilarious. And you were right, mate. You were so right.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Brew78Brew78 Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Clearly he's experimenting.

Well, yeah.
    The question is, "With what, and where do I get some?"

Whatever though, he's free to draw as he wants :-)

And.. I'm not saying this art style necessarily *looks* like it, but for some reason, today's comic made me think of Dexter's Lab. The middle frame made me think of Dexter saying "pllleeeeeeeeease???"

• Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    I thought it enhanced the joke that Tycho was drawn normally, and Gabe was rediculous. Kinda surprised by all the hate.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    The art style reminds me of Teen Titans Go!

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Calling bullshit. The whole point of a Unicorn is that there is only one.

...coming from an individual with a MLP avatar.

Yo this a Pegasi

Not even like a Unicorn

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I thought the facial expressions were hilarious, and I wish they used this kind of physical humor more often in their strips. Personally, I had a good, honest giggle. So mission accomplished.

• Options
    WE FEAR CHANGE

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

He can change it as he pleases, and he has done so. Change is okay. But you can change in the wrong direction. Again, it's an opinion, nothing to get CAPSLOCKY about. :-P

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    WE FEAR CHANGE

This message brought to you by the Republican Party.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I am sticking to my theory that it isn't a coincidence that the art began to deteriorate right around the weed comic. Gabe was in rehab while making Lookouts.

Man what?

The Tithe also occurred after he tried pot. This post makes no sense.

• Options
    I'm not saying it's deteriorating. He's drawing it in a different style, but I just don't happen to like it. I'm sure in the future he will move toward a different style too. Maybe I'll love that style and everyone else will hate it. lol

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Do you like the 10/16 strip? That's the more "normal" style showcase for the characters.

This one is over-the-top silly intentionally. It's cool if that sort of visual joke doesn't work for you, but I wouldn't use it as a standard for the comic's "new style" or anything.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    You would think, even I would think, that this strip came about because I had seen a sparkly word somewhere and had endeavored to integrate it into my nest. Not so!

We have a soft spot, if not a hard spot, for the workings of Dave Gross. By which we mean his books! Not his other operations. But there’s no reason to believe the way in which he metabolizes carbohydrates isn’t also great. I’m sure he puts his own spin on it. But he has found the trick of writing licensed fiction that is fun to read and is also sprankled with ideas you carry out with you.

Jamie, Sandersonian Sorceress Supreme, grabbed Gabriel’s copy of the book and becan to read passages from King of Chaos with a gravelly lisp to shame him - she referenced a unicorn’s “hooveth” at one point - and he was seared, with the tasteful grill marks that indentify a true barbecue champion. Sometimes you want to read, but you also want to play Dungeons and Dragons, and he writes books that sort of let you do both simultaneously. For the time conscious, the man is a godsend.

Anyway, I don’t know if it is a spoiler, but there’s a Unicorn in the book somewhere. Maybe more than one. And there’s a word for such a thing. There are out of the way, more than likely specious names for all sorts of animal heaps, it turns out:

A Jerky of Martinets
    A Bruschetta of Flatworms
    A Lepton of Hummingbirds
    A Crunchwrap of Wildebeests
    And so on. I don’t think there’s an international body that even keeps track of this shit. I think it’s the wild-ass, motherfucking west.

(CW)TB out.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Perhaps it was almost lunchtime when Jerry wrote the newspost? Now I want a Crunchwrap...

Bruschetta of Flatworms will haunt my dreams, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    IanKenIanKen Registered User regular
    Well, I guess we know who's in line to carry on "Bernstein Bears" into the future...yikes.

• Options
    calamityjamiecalamityjamie Corgi Wrangler Seattle, WARegistered User staff
    Yeah, Mike was trying to give me shit for people eating metal and gaining magic, and he was reading a book about a unicorn saving the world! We have reached armistice, for now.

Also, no, no one else is drawing Penny Arcade. I saw him doing it just a few minutes ago!

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Brb...I must contain my glee at having a PA Staff member join in the discussion. This is unprecedented (for me lol) and super cool! :-)

Jamie's conflict with Mike reminds me an awful lot of The Boy Who Lived (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/06/25)

Sometimes I am amazed at how well I can remember an old Penny Arcade comic. lol

roflstomp on
  • Options
    miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    that book sounds awesome so far from what people have been saying