As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Monday, October 21, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 3, Ep. 19: There’s No Mojo Here

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Monday, October 21, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 3, Ep. 19: There’s No Mojo Here

Do you need common sense and market research if you have wild, unattainable dreams? Yes Madcatz, you do.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    GezzerGezzer Registered User regular
    Doesn't really listen to Katy Perry.
    Faith restored.

• Options
    jedidethfreakjedidethfreak Registered User regular
    So, by definition, a Wii U is a mobile device?

Wind Fish in name only, for it is neither.
  • Options
    JaksteriJaksteri Registered User new member
    You guys are aware that there are angry birds branded shampoos? I quess they do have a lot of faith in their frachise. Not bad thing though, we really could use a strong natioal brand, now that Nokia isn't Finnish company anymore : good bye quality cellphones.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    'cause baby you're a shovelware

• Options
    SiddownSiddown Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    In defense of an Angry Birds Cart game, the one thing Rovio has done very well in their titles is execute. AB was hardly the first "fling an object into a group of objects" game, but it executed the idea better than any other one. And now, you see Angry Bird shirts, hats, stuffed animals, board games, and now apparently shampoo.

So while none of their characters has any real personality, as a collective people do like them (kids especially). If they build a really tight cart game, which is what they are good at, people will buy it.

And let's face it, when the first Mario Cart game came out 21 years ago, it's not like all of those characters had been flushed out.

Siddown on
  • Options
    Zachary AmaranthZachary Amaranth Registered User regular
    In a year, all those MOJOs will be on clearance.

• Options
    OmerGOmerG Registered User regular
    lol you guise, mic is not short for Michael :P

Build a man a fire and he'll be hot for a day;
    Set a man on fire and he'll be hot for the rest of his life.

Check out Ned the Chainsaw Guy. He's a cool cat.
  • Options
    sloporionsloporion Registered User regular
    @Siddown The list of characters for Mario Kart for SNES were Mario, Luigi, Toad, Koopa Troopa, Princess, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Bowser.

Other than MAYBE Yoshi (as he only had one title under his belt before Mario Kart came out, but was an integral part of Super Mario World), which of the characters weren't "flushed" out.

If you honestly want to believe that Angry Birds is going to do a better job than Mario Kart, simply because they know how to sell t-shirts, stuffed animals, etc... You may want to realize that Mario > all in brand recognition. Even if they make a phenomenal cart game, just like every other cart game that's come out since SNES it will be seen as a Mario Kart clone (and for good reason).

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Square's put out a gig+ game on mobile devices before. If I remember correctly, the mobile version of TWEWY was around that size.

(But that's a vastly better game than FFVII, since characters have actual personalities.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    RabidKittenRabidKitten Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    My 4 year is hyped for some Angry Birds GO, He already wants that tie in toys. Don't underestimate the genius power of Rovio's marketing team.

RabidKitten on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Graham went after Mojo with hunger.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Squeenix won't put FF7 on the iOS and Android because they lost the company game disk under a couch, and they're not sure which one.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    Mossy ToesMossy Toes Idle Warhammerer Eye of TerrorRegistered User regular
    Kathleen is too busy listening to BoC to bother with Katy Perry.

• Options
    UndeadpoolUndeadpool Registered User regular
    I'm fine with them stopping at FFVI and SHAME on anyone who brushes past it and demands VII.

• Options
    SiddownSiddown Registered User regular
    sloporion wrote:
    If you honestly want to believe that Angry Birds is going to do a better job than Mario Kart, simply because they know how to sell t-shirts, stuffed animals, etc... You may want to realize that Mario > all in brand recognition.

Wow, not really sure what I did to deserve such hostility, but I never said they would do better than Mario Cart, just that IF they do a good job, it will sell. Nothing more.

But I think you are letting your obvious love of Nintendo get in the way of your memory a bit. In 1992, Donkey Kong was not like he is now. DK Country was not released until two years later, up until then, Donkey Kong was just the bad Gorilla from the Donkey Kong games at that point.

Toad and Yoshi were minor characters, and Koopa was just bad guys that Mario sqaushed as he raced through levels. While Princess Peach/Toadstool is a prominent character now, back in 1992 she had only been playable in one game, Super Mario Brothers 2 IIRC. Other than that, she was just the McGuffin that Mario needed to chase down.

Sure, Mario and Luigi were famous as hell, I wouldn't argue other wise. Mario Kart sold 8 million units, which was a lot back then considering the 50 million console sales. The newest Angry Birds has that many downloads it's first weekend. In 2013, I'd argue that Angry Birds has an incredibly solid brand recognition, especially for the younger generation.

None of that means they will make a better game than Mario Cart, but Graham dismissing it because the birds don't have "character" is silly as well. In 1992, only Mario, Luigi and Bowser, had personality. Nobody was saying "wow, I love that Toad guy". That, and kids love Angry BIrds, so whether Angry Birds Racing (or whatever they call it) is a clone or not doesn't matter because if it's a GOOD clone, it'll sell millions of units.

• Options
    aberdasheraberdasher Registered User regular
    Angry birds are cute and racing games aren't known for their deep character back stories and fantastic plot lines. I should imagine that it'll work pretty well.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Good points, Graham, but bear in mind we're talking about MadCatz here. They will no doubt address the issue of playing while pooping with a flimsy, cheaply-made plastic peripheral. Tagline: "We bring the hardware, you bring the soft-serve."

Or maybe an app that allows the Mojo to stream to your mobile device, allowing you to enjoy your mobile games on the go and causing everyone's heads to explode like that guy in Scanners.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I'm almost 90% sure the reason why Square isn't releasing FF7 to mobile devices is because they lost the source code. Having worked on the game for the last 10 years. I can almost guarantee this.

The steam version they have out now is just the 1998 version with a new graphics driver cloned from the one the fan base has had for almost 4 years now.

I'm actually making a youtube series about it.

halkun on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    I'm almost 90% sure the reason why Square isn't releasing FF7 to mobile devices is because they lost the source code. Having worked on the game for the last 10 years. I can almost guarantee this.

They loaned it to George Lucas, and he taped over it.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Mossy Toes wrote: »
    Kathleen is too busy listening to BoC to bother with Katy Perry.

I heard that the heating in The Moonbase started making a weird warbly oscillating hum, so now she doesn't need music at all.

• Options
    BWMBWM Registered User regular
    That was fantastic, Graham. Tore Madcatz apart without being angry, loud, hyperbolic, etc.

• Options
    likalarukulikalaruku Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I just started Everquest 2. I couldn't run it when it came out (& it wasn't FTP at the time) & forgot about it until the last episode of MMOGrinder. I rarely stay with an MMO for longer than a week, making subscriptions pointless. The level 85 character was made for old returning players who still remember the early levels too well to enjoy going through it again.

likalaruku on
  • Options
    OMAC719OMAC719 Registered User new member
    What is the big deal about FF7? The game sucked the story was horrible; was it the Villian? I know it couldnt be the horrible main charcacter or his lively supporting cast. I mean am i missing something can some one help me out, I would sooner buy an hd remake of Crono Trigger or Crono Cross before buying FF7.