As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

See you next fire alarm?

DragosaiDragosai Registered User regular
Here is the situation - I live in a small apartment building, there is 26 units in the 4 story building. Last Saturday the building fire alarm went off, as I was taking a nap in the afternoon which was fun. I didn't see any signs of a real fire and figured it was being tested or someone pulled the alarm by mistake. I take a few minutes to at least throw some cloths on and head out to the parking lot. As I walk out the front door a fire truck is pulling into the lot. I see a few people standing in a group and so go talk to them. One of them is an older lady who lives on my floor, another woman who I haven't seen before, and this super cute girl about my age who I think I might have seen once as I was driving out and she was driving in. Anyway we make small talk and I joke about being woken up to cover my disheveled appearance, I was rocking some awesome bed head, the cute girl laughs and says she was taking a nap as well, I notice she is barefoot at this point and we talk and joke about it while the fire department does it's thing. I realize this would be a good time to introduce myself to everyone because as I'll explain in a minute, pretty much no ones knows each other in the building. So I'm about to introduce myself when one of the fire people says we can go back inside. So I missed my chance at anything.

Now for my deliema, the girl I was talking to really struck a cord with me and I would really like the chance to talk to her again. However I have no idea which apartment she lives in, and even if I did just knocking on her door out of the blue seems strange. Here is where it gets a little more tricky, my building is like a blackhole of not seeing your neighbors. It is really weird, I've lived thee for 3 years and almost never bump into anyone else that lives there. In fact it's such a strange thing, that when I do cross paths with someone on the stairs, doing laundry etc, we talk about how strange it is that we never see anyone as we come and go.

So I need ideas on what, if anything I can do to try and talk to this girl again. I'm stuck right now hoping I bump into her at random, but given the rarity of seeing any of my neighbors I think it's unlikely at best.
Any ideas, thoughts, comments would be great. I'm realing hoping I don't have to resort to pulling the alarm and hoping she is home....

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Clearly, you should set your building on fire and then when the alarm rings and she comes outside, tell her "I did this so we could be together - see how deeply my love burns for you?!?! See?!?!"

Okay, don't do that.

This kind of situation is tough, and other than doing something that may or may not be seen as "creepy" (like investigating her or standing outside the front door with binoculars or whatever) you may just have to chalk it up to fate: Either you'll see her again or you won't. I highly recommend you just ask her out if and when you ever get the opportunity again. It's not like there's much risk of awkwardness - as you said, you don't see your neighbors on a regular basis. Life's too short to dick around.

I mean, I can't think of anything else except for maybe asking other neighbors or a doorman or whatever "hey, do you know <girl's description>?"

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Can you host a bbq at your complex? Like do you have some sort of outdoor common area?

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I agree Drez, I may just be stuck in a wait and hope situation. I thought about asking my land lord about her, but trying to figure out a none awkward way to do so. I just hope if I do run into her that ready to jump on the moment and ask her out. Reality is of course that I know nothing about her, she could have a significant other, be a serial killer etc. Still it was an enchanted moment meeting her so I'm sticking with hope for now.

Deadfall, that is a great idea, I thought about it a little this morning. We don't really have space for that but the lot could work if done right. However there is so many things that could go wrong with trying that, that I'm just not sure. I live in Massachusetts so cold weather is here, she may not come, no one may come that would really suck, she could show up with a significant other. I guess at least I would know and that's fine. I mean if it worked it is a great story to be able to ultimately tell her I threw a get together just to meet her. It's like Drez's idea of setting the building on fire, but hopefully with less jail time.

Dragosai on
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Can you host a bbq at your complex? Like do you have some sort of outdoor common area?

Good cover for when you "accidentally" set the place on fire.

Are there no communal areas in the place? Laundry room, mailboxes, etc? My brother lived in a two storey place where the top floor had a power issue (old building, too many appliances on the circuit) so it was common to find someone in the lobby on a laptop or charging their phone. Then the building was rewired, so nobody should have been there, but people kept going down to hang out.

Try changing your routine. Leave the house a few minutes earlier, spend more time in communal areas (don't just dump your laundry in and go. Take a book (conversation starter, so pick carefully) and do all the washing in one night. She doesn't show? Next week, pick a different day. You don't have laundry every week? Bedsheets, you slob.)

Big point, don't do anything radical. Just make an adjustment to what you would normally do.

If all else fails, you can always burn your toast.

PedroAsani on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    You saw her pulling out one day? Do you recognize her car? If so, leave a note on it.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    illig wrote: »
    You saw her pulling out one day? Do you recognize her car? If so, leave a note on it.

That'd be creepy.

I suggest just a "meet the neighbours party." But don't be disappointed if she doesn't turn up. You'll probably run into her again, especially if the fire alarm is faulty.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Maybe not leave a note, figure out her schedule and maybe approach her would be okay.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I'm about 90% sure I know which car is hers, but yeah leaving a note seems a little not good. I don't think it falls into the creepy category persay, but might seem a little unconfident at best. We have small closet like laundry rooms on each floor, and I think she is in the first floor but not 100% sure. I could go use the first floor laundry and just claim an issue with my floors machines. But sense it's not the kind of laundry room one would hangout in it may not increase my chances all that much, but might be worth a try since it would be one way to up the chances of running into her in the hallway.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Make one of those LOST posters. Describe her, the day of incident, maybe a brief description of yourself and a IF FOUND, please contact Dragosai. Post it up in the common areas. Put it on everyone's car.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Soooo... That's pretty creepy too.

Just walk around your building more often to increase the chances you'll bump into her if you really liked her that much. If you see her, say hi and ask if she wants to go out. If not, you clearly won't have to see her very often so it probably won't be embarrassing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Do you remember what time you saw her pull-in? You could always run downstairs to grab the mail or go to the grocery store / drugstore around that time and, if you happen to see her, say hi & ask her out.

Aside from that, the common area suggestions are great, and the party hosting idea is fantastic. Trust me, if you're grilling up some free chow and have beverages handy, people will show-up if they have the time. Just post signs in the common areas / halls / whatever to let people know what you're doing and when.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Nija wrote: »
    Make one of those LOST posters. Describe her, the day of incident, maybe a brief description of yourself and a IF FOUND, please contact Dragosai. Post it up in the common areas. Put it on everyone's car.

Don't do this. At worst it's creepy and a huge turnoff, and at best you'll get in trouble for making a mess in your complex.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    I'm just a person in a forum and I was pretty creeped out by it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Subtlety is the key. If she had been wearing the jersey of a local team and mentioned that she never misses a home game, then you can go to the game. You can't go to the game looking for her. See the difference?

Slight alterations to your routine are fine. Camping out the parking lot for days on end, nope.

Should you run into her at this hypothetical game, the wording is key. "I was hoping that I would run into you" is not as good as "I was wondering if I would run into you." Scanning the crowd during play stoppage is fine. Scanning it during play, nope.

Really, you should be asking yourself, "How would I stalk her?" and then DON'T DO THAT.

• Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm still working on this. I now am not so sure of which car is hers, so that might be a small step backwards. I'm going to try and circulate through the building a bit more to up my chances of running into her. If I can figure out which car is hers I may end up leaving a note. The more I think about it the note seems ok, it's tough to tell how she will react and I of course would rather do thus in person. However I'm thinking a funny note with a quick explanation of not having any otherway to contact her besides wait and hope. Now I just need to figure out which car is hers for sure, my hope is that in the course of trying to do that I will just run into her.

• Options
    Nah avoid the note, it's super creepy. You're likely to hurt more than help your situation. While you may not be able to find her, leaving the note may actively hurt any shot you potentially have.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    The note itself is fine. If you knew which car was hers through non creepy means (ie, she told you which car she drives, or you've seen her get in it and she was aware of your presence).

Without those prerequisites, leaving a note just screams "dude creeped on me while I was getting in my car"

• Options
    Under other circumstances I would agree the note is creepy, or at least has a high percent chance of being seen that way. I was looking at it as more of a no other choice so I left a note type if thing. But since I have no other way of contacting her I thought it might be ok. I really don't want to leave a note for a lot of reasons, chief among them being I may never know her reaction to it. So I end up never knowing if it was the note itself, if she is seeing someone, not interested etc. I think I'm going to wait on the note for now, and try to just be at home around the building general areas more, without bring full on stalker mode. I'm just the type that hates a missed opportunity at asking out a potential date, more than rejection itself, so I need a way to make it happen sooner or later. Hopefully karma is on my side.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Can't you just read a book on the stoop of something.till she walks by. Then claim you were just enjoying a nice read outdoors

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    I think that's pretty much what I'm going to do. I'm hoping for some slightly warm weather so I can sit outside and see if I get lucky.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I read this thread and threw the deadbolt on my door. This just oozes creeper misunderstanding. If you lack the confidence to approach then work on you instead of crazy plans.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    You are going to come off as one of these two guys and you need to decide which one you prefer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eiZ4_R6q2mg&amp;desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DeiZ4_R6q2mg

Pro tip: Chris Farley is waaaay cooler.

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    zepherin wrote: »
    I read this thread and tthrewhrew the deadbolt on my door. This just oozes creeper misunderstanding. If you lack the confidence to approach then work on you instead of crazy plans.

That seems like a bit of an overreaction. He said he never sees her, not that he doesn't have the confidence to approach.

Unless you're thinking he's lying about that, but that seems kinda unnecessarily cynical.

Adus on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I was going to suggest the barbeque thing, but someone else already did so I'll second that. People don't often say no to free food, so they'll show up given enough notice (like a week or so) especially if they don't have a family or whatever. And worst case scenario, she isn't there and you get to know more of your other neighbors instead. It's not remotely creepy, and if you two do hit it off it's a story that you can then tell her to make a great "this is how we met story."

Is asking the landlord out of the question? He or she might know who you're talking about and could possibly give you her room number or phone number.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Dogg you are way overthinking this, you could just pull the fire alarm!

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Is asking the landlord out of the question? He or she might know who you're talking about and could possibly give you her room number or phone number.

God, I hope not. That would be very irresponsible since all he knows about you is whether your cheques clear.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Dogg you are way overthinking this, you could just pull the fire alarm!

I like to think there's a reason no one suggested this earlier.

• Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    Is it so much to just knock on some doors? Is it really that awkward to meet your neighbors? who knows, maybe there are 2 cute girls in your complex. "hi do you have any milk? I ran out." "Do you hear that weird humming noise?" etc etc. Make some shit up and meet some people.

• Options
    Zepherin, I would just walk up talk to her and ask her out given the chance. The whole point of me posting this is to see if anyone had any great ideas on how to do so given the situation. I haven't run into her yet, and haven't been home much this weekend to try being around the building more. I guess I could knock on some doors and see what happens, I might try this at some later point if I have no luck bumping into her at random after a week or so. I'm kicking myself for missing my chance when I first saw her, thanks again for all the great ideas, I'm definitely keeping them in mind as my fall backs because I was a bit smitten with her after our 5 minute conversation, which is unusual for me. Hopefully something good comes of this, if not oh well.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I would say throwing a grilling party is way less complicated and weird than knocking on doors. What will you say for the 99% of the doors that don't belong to her?

Print flyers for bbq
    Tape to doors/common areas
    Meet new friends/neighbors

We met several new interesting neighbors at our old apartments by going to common area picnics. And even if she doesn't show up maybe someone more awesome will.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You guys are going about this all wrong. Throw a party? Pfft, too much work.

Hire a private investigator to find her and follow her and take lots of pictures of her and install cameras and microphones in her apartment and find out where she works and call up and make repeated complaints about her so she gets fired and spends more time at home and kidnap her friends and sell them into slavery so she spends more time by herself and lonely and kill her family so she has no-one to turn to, to rely on, so you can swoop in and be there for her.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I just had this thought: what if the reason you don't see much of her is that she is busy at her bf's place all the time?

Just an idea.

But maybe it can still work out. Next time you see her just say something like, "hey last time at the fire alarm I meant to ask you to coffee but it was just so crazy then. So how about that latte?"

Good luck!

• Options
    God dammit chris.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    You guys are going about this all wrong. Throw a party? Pfft, too much work.

Hire a private investigator to find her and follow her and take lots of pictures of her and install cameras and microphones in her apartment and find out where she works and call up and make repeated complaints about her so she gets fired and spends more time at home and kidnap her friends and sell them into slavery so she spends more time by herself and lonely and kill her family so she has no-one to turn to, to rely on, so you can swoop in and be there for her.

I thought pulling the fire alarm was creative!

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    In the common area could you put up a little sheet of paper that says, really big, CUTE BAREFOOT FIRE ALARM GIRL. Just write that it was great to hang out and leave your first name and number as a pull tab. This gives her the upper hand of knowing your info whereas you don't have hers.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »
    In the common area could you put up a little sheet of paper that says, really big, CUTE BAREFOOT FIRE ALARM GIRL. Just write that it was great to hang out and leave your first name and number as a pull tab. This gives her the upper hand of knowing your info whereas you don't have hers.
    Definitely not this.

• Options

Certainly the most likely to work in a romantic comedy, and should we really have any other criteria in life and love? Also, try roaming the corridors, with a huge paper bag full of unwieldy groceries in your arms. You are certain to trip over her, and fall in love while mutually scrabbling for rolling oranges.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular

Certainly the most likely to work in a romantic comedy, and should we really have any other criteria in life and love? Also, try roaming the corridors, with a huge paper bag full of unwieldy groceries in your arms. You are certain to trip over her, and fall in love while mutually scrabbling for rolling oranges.

Or, if you live in Japan, run out of your place with your breakfast toast in your mouth! It's foolproof!

• Options
    Update: I think she has a boy friend. The car I think is hers has a Star Trek logo on it, and there is another car that I saw over the weekend, and have seen before that also has the Trek logo on it. I have seen a dude get out of this second car before, thus I think this is a visiting bf. Sure could be a friend, or brother, who knows. I still plan on asking her out for a coffee should I bump into her, I'm really good at making a fool of myself and don't plan on stopping now.