As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You're lying, dammit! And I can prove it!! [Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney]

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
ee4a64d77137fc121f59f2af5ecd56a298c577ef.jpg__576x480_q85.jpg

"...and I saw the new Phoenix Wright game, it looks just like the old ones! It's not even in 3D!"

objection_by_adamenvelope-d4dos33.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq1jknZp0ic

03-phoenix-pointing-590x322.jpg

"Mr. Butz! You say the new Phoenix Wright game, Dual Destinies, available now on the Nintendo 3DS for $29.99, looks like we do now. This is a fatal contradiction in your testimony! In reality, we now look..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWunMFukKJ0

01Ace-590x331.jpg

"Like this!! Fully rendered models with full animation!! The gameplay and the character you know and love, with a new visual twist!"

1b5957b9f596903df081ca031d0095fa.jpg?v=150000

"Mr. Wright! My Mood Matrix is telling me Larry's surprised at the new level of detail given to the game, and what a deal it is to only cost $30! It's available at all major retailers with physical copies, right?"

ace-attorney-5-screens-04.jpeg

"Umm...funny story about that one...it's kinda only available digitally on the eShop...sorry about that."

"(If only they know how lucky they had it...it was this way or no game at all!)"

background-(ani)gavel.gif

6F32U1X.png

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    A whole thread for one fighting game character?

Sure I guess, anyway here's the tuorial:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPmf1GHHOoU

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    OP is acceptable as Larry Butz is the third worst character in the franchise.

This game is pretty great so far.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    so are all the previous games getting iOS ports?

I'm trying to think of any way edgeworth 2 might still come over

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

I think they already did 1, 2, and 3 but the art is teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerriblly redone

6F32U1X.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm on the second case of Dual Destinies and I really hope the lion's share of the typos are confined to case 2

But I'm really enjoying it regardless

I'm on the second case of Dual Destinies and I really hope the lion's share of the typos are confined to case 2

But I'm really enjoying it regardless

I'm starting to think the people in that village are supposed to have some kind of weird accent

Because there's just so many typos

6F32U1X.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Mr. G wrote: »

I think they already did 1, 2, and 3 but the art is teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerriblly redone

as far as i can tell, when they originally made the games, the artist hand-drew all the art, and then they were traced over to make the sprites

and the "HD" iOS versions use the original art

without taking into account the fact that the original art was never intended to be published, and contains all sorts of weird errors and mistakes that were cleaned up in the sprite-making process

In particular, characters often have "seams" on their faces during talk-cycle animations, where they obviously just pasted an open mouth over the spot on the original drawing where a closed mouth was. and the worst part is, it's not like those errors show up on obscure sprites that only show up a few times, like a witness' cornered animation or something. They pop up in the dramatic anime close-ups and in Phoenix's signature pointing pose.

also the iOS versions of the games are riddled with typos, which i really don't understand because like... why didn't they just copy and paste from the DS games

if you don't have a DS they're passable versions of the games, and buying the full HD trilogy is... probably cheaper than buying the 3 DS games separately, but it's definitely the worst way to experience the series.

Speed Racer on
    Mr. G wrote: »

as far as i can tell, when they originally made the games, the artist hand-drew all the art, and then they were traced over to make the sprites

and the "HD" iOS versions use the original art

without taking into account the fact that the original art was never intended to be published, and contains all sorts of weird errors and mistakes that were cleaned up in the sprite-making process

In particular, characters often have "seams" on their faces during talk-cycle animations, where they obviously just pasted an open mouth over the spot on the original drawing where a closed mouth was

also the iOS versions of the games are riddled with typos, which i really don't understand because like... why didn't they just copy and paste from the DS games

if you don't have a DS they're passable versions of the games, and buying the full HD trilogy is... probably cheaper than buying the 3 DS games separately, but it's definitely the worst way to experience the series.

I only finished it a month ago, but imagining someone experiencing the end of PW3 for the first time on iOS with shitty art and tons of typos really bums me out

6F32U1X.png
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    this game is so great and Athena is awesome

at the tail end of case 1 now, I think, and I'm about to take my first blind stab

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    if they had cleaned up the art i actually would have liked it

it's very different from the spritework but it gives the games a different kinda feel that makes them feel more... hand-made I guess?

I was totally on board with the "new" art style until the errors started cropping up

I really like that they finally put the microphones in the Detention Center so you can actually see how they're talking to each other

Now they just need to put in how occasionally they can pass things to one another cause that seems super not allowed

6F32U1X.png
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I am trying to download this but my 3DS refuses to cooperate.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Just started case 2.

Man, I really like the environment art in this game.

IKknkhU.gif
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    So I just learnt who the Prosecutor for Case 2 is going to be
    A convicted murderer who has studied psychology and was directly responsible for the legal system in PW being as fucked up as it is?

Well, shit.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • MikeLLMikeLL What it do NEPHEW? Registered User regular
    I love pretty much everything about this game, but Case 2 isn't really engaging to me.
    how many times is the killer going to be dressed in a mascot outfit in this series.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I was extremely nerdy and wrote an analysis of Apollo Justice's (the game) flaws. Spoilers!
    Setting aside the drag factor of not playing as Phoenix, AJ suffers from what I call Heroes of Might and Magic 4 syndrome.

What does this mean? Well the games Heroes of Might and Magic 1-3 (and Might and Magic 6-8) all take place in the same world, with some recurring characters that you get invested in. Heroes 4 takes place in a different world, but a crucial point in its backstory is that the world of 1-3 was destroyed. I know that certainly soured me, that all that time I spent saving the world went to waste (and canonically only like a few years after Might and Magic 8), cast aside so you can show off this new world when you could easily just have had it take place on the new world without mention. It's what they did for Heores 5 anyway. And the Might and Magic universe has tons of medieval level worlds as a result of an interstellar empire fallen low, so there's plenty to choose from. It's that kind of setting.

AJ commits a similar sin. A new Lawyer doing his own thing is neato, but doing it at the expense of Phoenix being disbarred can be painful, especially as this was like two months after his triumph over Godot and Dahlia. That wound isn't as deep these days since Phoenix is back in court, but the way that happens is AJ's second big sin.

AJ tries to please Phoenix fans, and to some it can be seen as falling between two stools. The story is pretty much about Phoenix uncovering the truth behind his disbarment and that trial, but framing it that way forces Apollo into a supporting role in his own game. So you have a game that's about Phoenix but not in the way we're used, and this means the new guy is largely a cog in Phoenix's plans. Which is a shame, because I like Apollo.

If I were writing the story, I'd have the first three cases be completely Feenie-free. Then case four starts with Phoenix cornering someone and presenting that evidence and getting disbarred for it. Then like a few weeks or months later Apollo has to investigate the follow up murder and coincidentally exonerate Phoenix in the process, leading to him joining the law firm at the end of the game.

That said I like Apollo Justice and the characters. But I can easily see where some parts would be sticking points for others.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think I played two or three Phoenix Wright games on my DS. I loved them. This is making it ever more tempting to drop some cash on a 3DS.

Can you play old DS games on a 3DS? I probably missed out on some of the previous games in the franchise, like I don't think I ever played the ones where Edgeworth was the title character (is that a thing or did I just imagine they did that?)

• MikeLLMikeLL What it do NEPHEW? Registered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    I think I played two or three Phoenix Wright games on my DS. I loved them. This is making it ever more tempting to drop some cash on a 3DS.

Can you play old DS games on a 3DS? I probably missed out on some of the previous games in the franchise, like I don't think I ever played the ones where Edgeworth was the title character (is that a thing or did I just imagine they did that?)

Yes, I played DS games on my 3DS, including the first Edgeworth game.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    AAI1 has maybe the best writing in the series

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Dang. I may have to check my budget and see if I can squeeze a 3DS out of it.

What other games are must-plays? I guess I should check out the new Pokemon? I never finished the last one I played.

edited October 2013
    Hullis wrote: »
    AAI1 has maybe the best everything in the series

Also, I'm on Day 1 of Case 2's trial in PW5.
    Hell yeah, AJ's Objection theme! And I am enjoying Fulbright and Blackquill so far. Nobody tell him that the history of samurais was actually pretty dull/involved them being dicks (I still kinda like them in spite of that).

PaperLuigi44 on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Actually, samurai being dicks sort of fits

Oh and the judge is still the best character

I will fight anybody who says otherwise

edited October 2013
    My favorite case is still

Older games spoilers
    2-4

I know a lot of people hated it but it was just so damn tense and the idea of having to defend a client you know is guilty was a little nerve-wracking

Even if they hadn't put Maya in danger it still would have been a nail-biter of a case

But having to delay things with Edgeworth while Gumshoe tried his best to find her so you wouldn't have to choose between the death of an innocent girl or the freedom of a murderer was so great

And to be honest, I didn't expect it at all; you only have innocent clients up to that point, and there's no reason to suspect that this new client is any different

It also cemented Edgeworth into Total Badass status

joshofalltrades on
    Saw someone saying they're refusing to buy this to protest Capcom not putting out physical copies

good one dude that would just make them not translate it at all

6F32U1X.png
  • Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    I still like the last case of the third game the best. So much suspense!
    stupid Delilah. It's always the most innocent looking ones that are rotten on the inside. Poor phoenix :(

And the case in the second game where you
    cross examine a parrot

Also, I really don't think fans understand how lucky we are that a game about lawyering that's very text heavy got into the US at all.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I only played about an hour of DD and already ran into an "ooohhhh SHIT" realization

Case 1 day 2
    If Apollo didn't write the message, who did?

*three solid minutes of staring at all the profiles without a clue*

Wait... there was only one other person who could

ooohhhh SHIT

sig.gif
    edited October 2013
    I played Apollo Justice with a walkthrough just so I could get through it quickly and oh god I'm real dumb now what is cross-examine

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    What the hell happened to Ema and Gumshoe

I mean, this Fullbright dude is rad

But I want my old pals back

6F32U1X.png
    Well

Trailer
    Edgeworth did make a little cameo at the end of the trailer

So, you know

They'll probably mention Gumshoe at some point

By the way that second case was rad, despite being riddled with typos
    Totally called the hair thing, but it was nice to finally have a little internal logic device there at the end! Like, holy hell, I get tired of knowing how to prove what I want and having my avatar still be clueless. Why can't I put all the pieces together like that every time!

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I just downloaded the game and man Athena is great. "Stupid Jerk." "What was that? Magnificent work?"

What took me forever to get in the first case was
    What 'Woods' could have meant. The container was the first thing I thought of but then I thought 'nah, it's too much of a stretch' (because you have to remove lines from the message).

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I need this game

I need it like I need to breathe

Oh

My

God

Case 3 pretrial spoilers:
    Klavier Gavin showing up and:

"Ja, I know how much you... adored our music, Herr Forehead."

I was in fucking stitches.

early case 2
    for fuck's sake can we stop talking about this teenage girl's panties

Japan

Ok, look

We all love klavier's air guitar sprite

But how awesome is blackquill's thing where he goes to draw a katana and is stopped by his shackles

Its pretty awesome

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    late case 2
    oh god Jinxie is actually Taro isn't she

also I cannot WAIT to pin down L'Belle, dude is the wooooorrrssttt

edited October 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSG2AvNnXBM

L'Belle just makes me think of this

oh also nsfw

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png