As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] Best console ever!* (*opinions based on facts)

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited December 2013 in Games and Technology
zUqXX.jpg
gF7zu.jpg

Join the PA community by having your Nintendo Network ID posted here!

READ THE SPOILER FOR INSTRUCTIONS OR YOU WON'T GET ON THE LIST!

Start by sending a PM containing your forum name/NNID to @ " MNC Dover " (remove the spaces before and after the " " marks or it won't work) to get added to the list. Please send me your info like it's shown below to make my job easier.

Also, make sure to enable your friend's list. Do this by hitting the home button on your gamepad and selecting the "friend list" icon on the far left OR going to the MiiVerse and searching for the NNID manually (recommended).

PA name/NNID
MNC Dover/MNC.Dover
Professor Snugglesworth/Pols.Voice
HallowedFaith/Cloudbomb
AngelHedgie/NoxAeternum
minor incident/minor.incident
UnbreakableVow/UnbreakableVow
Toldo/Weegian
SirUltimos/SirUltimos
urahonky/Samson
MonkeyConQueso/MonkeyConQueso
Xenogears of Bore/KingSheet
Turkey/TurkeyFried
Cloudeagle/revatt
cabbie98/cabbie98
Reynolds/RadSuit
lpburk2/lpburk2
Brainiac 8/Brainiac_8
Dritz/LostCrescendo
InvisibleInk/InvisibleInk
Khildith/Khildith
The Sneak!/TheSneak
Shadowfire/Windrunner
AbsoluteZero/AbsoluteZero
raziel_pm/RazielPrime
UncleSporky/UncleSporky
Mystic Terrapin/Ghostosaurus
MOVE IT WITH BUNMASTER!!!/spinach
Aiserou/Aiserou
Athenor/Athenor
vamen/vamenn
The_Spaniard/Span_Wolf
Warlock82/Warlock
Variable/Variable
ManetherenWolf/Manetherenwolf
Optimusbry/Optimusbry
Dracil/dracilcegon
grim123/grim123
Man of the Waves/BuckarooHoliday
BebopSamurai/BebopSamurai
maximumzero/maximumzero
Xaviar/Xaviar
OneAngryPossum/oneangrypossum
Geod/Quamel
skeldare/skeldare
Kuribo's Shoe/ShoeVonDoom
Mosez/Stormblessed
imperialparadox / imperialparadox
TheUnsane1/TheUnsane1
Sagroth/Sagroth
Agahnim / AgahnimD
Beltaine/Beltaine
LockedOnTarget/TheKruseMissile
corin7/corin7
pirateluigi/PirateLuigi
SwashbucklerXX/SwashbucklerXX
Karrmer / Karrmer
Draysoth/Draysoth1
Magic Pink/MagicPink
Mblackwell/Mblackwell
azith28/Shodan
mantis23/mantis23
RidleySaria/RidleySaria
Aoi/edison_carter
Beefjerky/Beefjerky
Beefjerky's non-PA girlfriend/Emily-Rose
Infidel/Orokos
Vicious_GSRVicious/Viciousdex
evilive72/strummer7
wallaka/wallaka
V Faction/V-Faction
TimFiji/Archpriest
Draguscloud/Dragus
TehSpectre/TehSpectre
Panax/Panax_1
BigJoeM/BigJoeM
No Great Name/SirToons
Joe Dizzy/JoeDizzy
Damagemanual/damagemanual
plufim/plufim
John Zoidberg/PAJZ83
WotanAnubis/Wotan-Anubis
Morblitz/Morblitz
H*R/WarrenMSP
draklan/Darker-Q
Chen/PAChen
Rorus Raz/Razola
louie/louieuk
dhs/dhs2004
angrysquirrel/angrysquirrel
Musiqua/Musiqua
Tpsou/TPSout
Green/AngryFrog
stlobus/Lobus42
Kafka87/Kafka87
edzepp/Edzepp
Malakaius/Malakaius
rndmhero/rndmhero
Jam Warrior/JamWarrior
losabio/losabio
Delphinidaes/delphinidaes
BronzeKoopa/hyrulefd
Grove/FallenGrove
Kaimaka/Kaimaka
Oats/Phosgene
JihadJesus/C0Y0T3_SLY
darunia106/Pirate_Burger
Conn/ConnConnor
Corpekata/Corpekata
Maz-/Maz_PA
Enlong/Enlong
Houn / DigitalArcanist
Nitsua/Nitsua16
Mr_Rose/AzarelRose
weeskwee/weeskwee
Man in the Mists/Man_in_the_mists
Spawnbroker/Spawnbroker
finalbroadcast/finalbroadcast
Toxic Toys/ToxicToys
kime/kimedelpell

Some important notes/tips from PA posters to help smooth out your initial Wii U experience.
1) Improving Wifi performance
-- It looks like the WII U has some issues with DHCP and automatic configuration of wifi. If you know how, manually enter your IP information into the Wii U, setting the IP Address, Subnet, and gateway to match your DHCP settings but in an area that the modem isn't giving out (up around 240-250 is usually safe). Then manually set DNS - if you don't know it, use 8.8.8.8 (google's DNS). This allowed things to work much better for me.

2) Opting in to friend requests must be done before you can receive friend requests. Do this by hitting the Home button, tapping on Friend List orange button on the left, tap on Settings, enable friend requests.

3) Why the Friends Lists are like they are:

--I wouldn't be surprised if the Miiverse servers really are integral to the Wii U's experience, and timeouts were what was causing the lag.

--Also, I think I've figured out how friend invites work, and why there are 2 different ways to enter them.

--Miiverse: Social integration. You have to opt in to allow friend requests on Miiverse (which at least 4 people in the OP haven't done, *cough cough*) . If you allow friend requests in that, then you'll get notifications when people add you through it, which can be due to profile posts or from playing with other people or all that jazz.

--If, however, you don't want the world to be able to add you, you can just have friends add you via mutual NNID exchange. This is where someone puts in your NNID into their console, and you are not informed about it... But if you put their NNID in as well, then voila! You have each other as friends. (This is how I added the 4 people in the OP who didn't have their friend requests turned on).

--So basically, Nintendo's created two avenues to add friends that are NOT mutually exclusive and can be used as a gatekeeper. If you want the world to be your friend, awesome! If you don't want the world up in your grill but you still want the ability to add friends, awesome! If you want the whole world to leave you alone, go for it.

4) The home button takes a screen shot. Once the home menu is up, you can jump to the miiverse and post it in a comment there. If you don't post it, it's gone as soon as you go back to the game, to be replaced with a new one next time you hit Home.

5) Game updates can be downloaded in the background. If you click the "Start Game" button it will begin background downloading. Then you can do whatever you want while the game update downloads. I don't know if it specifically downloads while you are in the game you're downloading for, but it definitely does if you quit out of it. There is also a "Download Manager" app on the Home button where you can see what it's doing with the downloads.

So the Wii U is Nintendo's newest console. If you wish to buy it, then you have around four flavors: Deluxe Cheesecake, Hyrulian Pecan Pie, and Mario Tiramisu. There's also a ZombiU edition floating around.

The best bet is the Zelda edition. You get most of the perks of the Deluxe version, which means a 32gb HDD, fancy cradles for the gamepad, and a black console. You also get a shiny Wind Waker-theme gamepad and a digital copy of Wind Waker HD AND the Hyrule Historia (a book for Zelda nerds). The only reason to get the Deluxe version over this is that you don't want Wind Waker and/or REALLY want Mario/Luigi. Yes, the Zelda Wii U gets the Deluxe eShop Promotion (more about that further down this post). Either way you go, these two sets cost $299.99.

jiDF9.png
l0MZS.jpg
At the heart of the Wii U is the new tablet-esque controller that allows the player to free themselves from the cruel tyranny of the TV. The screen is touch sensitive and can be used via stylus or finger. The controller features dual stick controller (and the sticks can click for extra functionality), four trigger/bumper buttons, four face buttons, and both accelerometer and gyroscope for motion control. The Wii U actually streams content to the game pad, meaning that many games can be played entirely on the pad while your TV gets used for other crap. In fact, after you do the initial set up, you don't even need to have the Wii U connected to a TV to play it. Meanwhile, other titles will make use of the controller for a variety of gameplay purposes such as inventory management, aiming weapons, and so forth. These titles, obviously, will require a TV to play.

Another important thing to note: the tablet controller also features a camera and microphone. This will be utilized in things like Miiverse, and the Wii U comes with a video chat program installed. This video shows us some of the ways the GamePad can be utilized.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj_xW6vwK1I

The Wii U can support two of these controllers at the same time, albeit capping the frame rate at 30fps when you do so. The hardware also supports just about everything from the Wii, including the remotes, balance board, motion plus, and so forth. The Wii U also includes a sensor bar for special pointer stuff. There is also a new controller for games that don't require the extra screen. The Pro Controller is intended to be a more comfortable controller for more conventional control schemes.
ScPEn.jpg

The GamePad will NOT be available for sale in North America (and probably not Europe). The price in Japan is the equivalent of around $175, so expect a price point of $150 or so. However, until Nintendo decides to stock 'em, you're stuck with the GamePad included with your system. You will be able to call for a replacement, so don't' fret about breaking one. Note that no Wii U games at launch will make use of two GamePads.

The Pro Controller RSVPs for $49.99.

LDmS5.png
Hey, let's talk about Miiverse
i-qqjJ5H2-X3.jpg
Nintendo is basically diving head-first into online. The Wii U features standard entertainment such as YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, and so forth. The new thing here is Miiverse, which is a network that shows what people are playing, and allows you to brag, get assistance, offer comments, or post crude drawings of genitals get nailed by the frightfully alert moderation staff. The image above shows the Miis clustering around games they play, be they friends or some stranger from Utah, and comments/drawings will pop up every so often. Miiverse is entirely optional, and you can control whether you get posts from just friends, the whole internet, or nobody at all. It also can label posts as spoilers so your gaming experience is never sullied like when your friend tells you that Bowser kidnapped Peach and ruined the whole plot. There are also communities for each game that kinda act like bulletin boards, and many games will feature Miiverse posts in the game itself.

Friend Codes are dead. You make a Nintendo Network ID, and you're done. You got a friend's list, can send messages to friends, follow friend activity (kinda like Twitter), and so forth. WARNING: Your NNID is tied to the console, along with any eShop purchases you make. While it is possible to unlink an NNID, it requires a lengthy phone call to customer service and is unlikely to be fruitful unless your system broke or something. Furthermore, you can only link one Club Nintendo account to just one NNID. They're a bit more lenient about unlinking Club Nintendo accounts, but it still requires an hour on the phone listening to the lowest quality version of the Zelda theme.

Here's an annoying video to demonstrate the feature.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXfqtq_Yk0Y

The Miiverse won't just be a Wii U thing. It'll eventually be ported over to the 3DS, and you'll be able to utilize certain parts of the Miiverse on your PC, smartphones, and tablets-that-aren't-controllers. When this happens is anyone's guess.

GyPpa.png
EKtSH.jpg

TVii is a rather ambition system that tries to be an all-in-one hub for couch potatoes. Using the Wii U controller like a remote, you can browse and control various programs at any time. This is completely cross-platform, and TVii will search all of the popular streaming services in addition to live TV. Supposedly, you can control your cable box, DVR, and more with the remote for unfettered touch-based television control. This features appears to only be for the NA and JPN markets at this time.

YWCnS.png
If you don't have a subscription, you can purchase the episode/subscription from the controller.

wBelL.png
Hey, the Wii U has games. Okay, not a lot, but it has some, and they're pretty great.

What's cool about the Wii U is that it's the first Nintendo home console to allow for digital purchases of full retail titles. It's worth noting that the average size of a Wii U title is 10+ GB, so you will probably need to purchase an external USB Hard Disk Drive if that is the way you want to go. The Wii U supports USB 2.0 HDDs with a maximum size of 2TB, but Nintendo says that a firmware update in the future will allow the hardware to recognize larger drives. HOWEVER, the Wii U will NEVER recognize any storage past the initial 2TB, so...just get a 2TB drive. Honestly, you don't even NEED more space than that.

It's also worth noting that Deluxe Set owners get a deal on the eShop. Every purchase you make on the eShop will give you a number of points back based on a percentage of the purchase. The end result is that you average about 10% off all digital purchases, but since the money you save goes straight into your account it's...not as nice a deal as you'd expect. You still have to spend $59.99 on Darksiders II, you just will have $5.99 on your account for other eShop purchases. This offer ends December 2014, so take advantage of it while you can.

These are all NA dates. Go...somewhere else, Europe.

OUT RIGHT THE FUCK NOW

Games in PINK are pretty much sure-deals. Games in PURPLE may require consideration, either because there are issues with the port, gameplay hiccups you may or may not tolerate, or there is simply a cheaper alternative on another platform. Everything else is probably trash or I don't know enough about it. An asterisk indicates that the game is fully playable on the game pad. Stuff in gray is shovelware or crap.

Are you lazy and just want some quick recommendations? Okay: New Super Mario Bros. Wii U, ZombiU, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, and Rayman Legends.
  • Nintendo Land
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii U*
  • Disney’s Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
  • Sonic & All-Stars: Racing Transformed* (it's really cheap on Steam now)
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 2*
  • Assassin’s Creed III*
  • Darksiders II*
  • FIFA 13
  • Just Dance 4
  • ZombiU
  • Madden NFL 13
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge*
  • Mass Effect 3: Special Edition*
  • Tank! Tank! Tank!
  • Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition*
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited
  • Rabbids Land
  • Skylanders Giants
  • Trine 2*
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2*
  • Funky Barn
  • Toki Tori 2
  • Nano Assault Neo*
  • Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition* (An HD remake of the 3DS version)
  • Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
  • Game Party Champions
  • Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade
  • 007 Legends
  • Little Inferno
  • Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
  • Avengers: Battle for Earth
  • NBA 2K13
  • Wipeout 3 (THIS IS NOT THE RACING SERIES)
  • Sing Party
  • Cabela’s Dangerous Hunts
  • Rapala Pro Bass Fishing
  • Transformers Prime
  • Ben 10: Omniverse
  • ESPN Sports Connection
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate*
  • LEGO City Undercover
  • Game and Wario
  • Splinter Cell: Blacklist*
  • Pikmin 3
  • New Super Luigi U*
  • The Wonderful 101*
  • Rayman Legends (This is the definitive version, as the touch screen stuff was half-assed on other consoles. The only other version that comes close is maybe PC because it's twenty bucks cheaper)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (consider this a MUST BUY if you've never played it, but otherwise your purchase depends on whether or not an HD remake is worth fifty bucks)
  • Disney Infinity (it's basically Skylanders from Disney, with all of the expense that infers)
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Wii Party U*
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Just Dance 4

On the Horizon
  • Wii Fit U
  • Jett Tailfin
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Mario Kart 8
  • X (Xenosaga 2?)
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze

uEPQ1.png
Do not get attached to this thread. At some point after the Wii U launches (probably after the first holiday season), the thread will be retired. Okay, at this point it's obvious the Wii U Thread has gotten a stay of execution. This is because the system is doing terribly and there'd be practically no Wii U talk without this thread. Do not point to this thread if we decide to shut down the mega thread for some other console. Instead, take solace in knowing your hardware isn't struggling to beat the PS Vita in sales each month. Having said that, the mod staff reserves the right to shut this thread down whenever it deems fit. Especially if behavior becomes routinely toxic.

I'd like this note in every future Wii U thread.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    1) Everyone with a Wii U buy Assassin's Creed IV

2) @MNC Dover your link in the old thread takes you to an older, deader Wii U thread

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Love the new thread smell.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Dude listen

I fucking love Sunshine

It is easily my favorite Mario, and might even be my favorite game of the PS2/GC/Xbox gen (the only thing in contention with it is Sands of Time)

Everything I love about Sunshine that makes it unique from other Mario games, Wet'n'Wild does better

No, it doesn't have collectibles or platforming

But the water park aspect of the game is done so much better. They take the cue of having every little ride you find having something wet in it, and water gun combat is actually a high point instead of the low that it is in Sunshine

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular

I would, but it releases on the same day as the PC version here.
    So, yeah. Good timing.

• Options
    Well

Wet 'n Wild is better than Super Mario Sunshine

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

2) @MNC Dover your link in the old thread takes you to an older, deader Wii U thread

Sorry! I keep forgetting that the "http://" part isn't in the address bar when I copy it. Fixed!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2013

Haha, no.

I played Assassin's Creed back when it launched. Hated it. Terrible pacing and overall an extraordinarily boring game.

I figured I'd give Assassin's Creed III a shot when it hit $20 recently. Shit, they must have improved it a bit by now right?

Wrong, just as terrible.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

They're not getting a third opportunity.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Any chance the OP could mention that TVii is Japan and US only? Nothing more annoying than the TVii icon on my Australian WiiU which does nothing and never will

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Any chance the OP could mention that TVii is Japan and US only? Nothing more annoying than the TVii icon on my Australian WiiU which does nothing and never will

Done. Let me know if you want any other changes people. The OP is a bit out of date.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Yeah, I don't know. Pirates are fun and all, but Assassin's Creed III was so boring, I'm not sure I'd want to pick up this new one.

• Options
    Assassin's Creed III almost put me off the franchise

Black Flag has put me back on it

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    New Super Mario Bros. is the antithesis of innovative.

The NSMB series was never meant to have any type of innovation. That's what the 3D Mario series is for.

This makes me a sad panda. Just because it's 2D doesn't mean you can't innovate. I really hope this isn't the way Nintendo thinks of the NSMB series.

New SMB does have some new innovations, like the four-player thing. Granted, we've had four players before, but has it really been done in a platformer like that before?

*waits to be showered with examples*

But yeah, there's room for innovation. It does feel like they save everything for 3D, whether it would work in the 2D games or not. And those used to be the big innovators.

At least NSMBU and NSLU have brought some neat ideas in. Heck, at least the premise was clever, unlike NSMB2's literal going-through-the-motions.
    Enlong wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    New Super Mario Bros. is the antithesis of innovative.

Ironically.

Thankfully, that's only one of two routes Mario is going for in terms of platforming these days.

On the subject of Zelda, they are trying to buck series standards this time around, if you believe the interviews. Whether ALBW delivers on that remains to be seen, I guess.

Ironically, they seem to be bucking those trends by being more like how the series used to be.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Assassin's Creed III almost put me off the franchise

Black Flag has put me back on it

It was off my radar but then I heard a lot of good stuff about it, so I want it someday now.

Little things like unlocking more SEA SHANTIES for the guys on your ship to sing. That is rad.

However, Assassin's Creed 3 is $20, and I know 4 will be someday as well. I have too many games right now and upcoming as it is, including the big purchase of the Zelda XL, so it's going to have to wait. I've been a little lax about waiting for good prices.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

Haha, no.

I played Assassin's Creed back when it launched. Hated it. Terrible pacing and overall an extraordinarily boring game.

I figured I'd give Assassin's Creed III a shot when it hit $20 recently. Shit, they must have improved it a bit by now right?

Wrong, just as terrible.

Kinda funny that you managed to skip over the good ones, and play the two absolute worst games in the series. I'm not saying I think you'll definitely love 2 and Brotherhood, but 1 and 3 are so awful.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I like 3. I'm not going to call it better than 2 or Brotherhood but it is miles ahead of 1. There were a few specific parts that I thought were really awesome including the intro parts, their reveal, and the conclusion with Connor and the main villain.
    Most of the time video games can't resist killing off the big bad guy in a fiery explosion. I liked that it was an extended chase scene that ended with both characters seated at a table, sharing a drink, too tired and injured to say anything. Best death scene in the series, it felt like the end of a good movie.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Has anyone else given Wii Fit U a go? I was kinda shocked how similar it was to the original. Unless the Fit Meter is worth the $20, the updated software is not IMHO.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Haha, no.

Wrong, just as terrible.

Yeah you managed to play the worst and then second worst games in the series, while missing the Ezio games, which improved on all the stuff the first game did poorly, and added a bunch of features that were really well done, inexplicably dropped in ACIII, and returned in ACIV.

It's not quite the same as judging Zelda by playing Adventure of Link, but it's close.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    Has anyone else given Wii Fit U a go? I was kinda shocked how similar it was to the original. Unless the Fit Meter is worth the $20, the updated software is not IMHO.

I started the download over the weekend but I haven't actually done the installation yet. To me (and I may be alone in this) the convenience of having the software in the Wii U menu and not requiring me to change discs is worth the $20. I would have bought Wii Fit Plus digitally for $20 just for that, so anything new is just a bonus.

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    It's definitely better than Wii Fit Plus, however it is similar yes.

There's even a thread about it!

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I'm Assassin Creeded out. I haven't even played AC3 yet. I'm just so bored of the series.

Brotherhood was pretty awesome though.

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    I'm sure I'kk pick up AC4 when it's $20 or so. I just bought Batman and Sonic instead. Heck how can I justify buying AC4 when I haven't picked up MH3U yet? Of course since I already own the Wii version of that game there's less incentive but still, every time I see footage or screens of that game I feel a pang in my chest.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'm with urahonky. I'm pretty tired of the series. I did like 1 though, loved 2, was crazy about Brotherhood, regretted buying Revelations after playing it for 1 hour, and after an afternoon with 3 looked at the case and thought "why am I even still playing this series?".

Of course I feel the same way about Batman. Open world games just aren't my thing I guess.

• Options
    Open world games are the death of me. Which is why I preferred Arkham Asylum over Arkham City.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Open world games are the death of me. Which is why I preferred Arkham Asylum over Arkham City.

Eh, Arkham City/Origins aren't THAT open world. At least not compared to most others.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    You're correct. However I hated moving around the city from one location to the next. I loved how AA handled it.

I still completed AC though. Loved it. Just preferred AA over it.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    With the grapnel boost, moving around city took seconds though.

Origins is a bit more irritating, but the drop points make that much easier.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    You're correct. However I hated moving around the city from one location to the next. I loved how AA handled it.

I still completed AC though. Loved it. Just preferred AA over it.

True, it was definitely the better Metroidvania. Plus nothing will beat the opening moments, IMO.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    With the grapnel boost, moving around city took seconds though.

Origins is a bit more irritating, but the drop points make that much easier.

Well it was longer than seconds but that was pretty irritating because I'm sitting here gliding across the city to go from point A to point B with a bunch of filler in between. It felt like it was just there to extend the playtime of the game.

But, again, I have always had a problem with open world games. I loved Skyrim but never completed it. I never got more than a few hours into Red Dead Redemption. The most I've played in an open world game was Saints Row 3 but I never finished that game either.

• Options
    I loved the gliding in City. It reminded me of the web swinging in Spiderman 2. Maybe i'm wired differently, but when a sandbox has a sufficiently interesting travel system, I'm happy just spending time flying/swinging/sailing along.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    It wouldn't be hard to convince me that the swinging in Spiderman 2 was betterthan the actual game.

• Options
    Meh I found it tedious. Literally nothing happening between point A and point B other than me gliding and trying to figure out where I would land so I could jump again. In AA you ran into baddies on the way from point A to point B so there was something always going on.

• Options
    Meh I found it tedious. Literally nothing happening between point A and point B other than me gliding and trying to figure out where I would land so I could jump again. In AA you ran into baddies on the way from point A to point B so there was something always going on.

There are plenty of baddies that you can fight in Arkham City while going gliding around.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Yeah. On the way from point A to point B, you can run into any number of random thugs complaining about the cold or arguing over what dog food tastes like or something, and then go into a dive to give them a solid Bat-thrashing.

Or you could run into a Zsasz phone, or a Riddler device, or a camera to break, or VR Training or something.

• Options
    Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    I do believe The Batman has his own thread as well...it will vanish from the front page if you stop looking at it for half a second. :-)

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
  • Options
    McFlynn wrote: »
    It wouldn't be hard to convince me that the swinging in Spiderman 2 was betterthan the actual game.
    Oh, the swinging was good, but the boss fight with Mysterio blows everything else out of the water.

• Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't generally like open world games. I'll almost always take something more linear, but I did love Arkham City. It's one of the only open world games where I liked it better for being open world, and not liked it in spite of it.

• Options
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't generally like open world games. I'll almost always take something more linear, but I did love Arkham City. It's one of the only open world games where I liked it better for being open world, and not liked it in spite of it.

I'm personally not a huge open world fan and loved the Arkham games. The main reason I think is that I never really know what to do, so I end up not actually finishing the game.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I only played Arkham City, but I loved it. I finished the main story and like 75% of the open world stuff.

Maybe I'll go back and try to 100% it, but I doubt it. Some of those Riddler puzzles are super-obtuse.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

I'm not sure if you are remember AA correctly.

The one issue I had with Asylum is that when you were finishing the post game stuff, the island is completely barren except for the odd crazy guy. There were no thugs, no one to fight. It was just run from one place to another in complete quiet finishing Riddler trophies.

City you had at least the thugs and other side quests to finish.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    I only played Arkham City, but I loved it. I finished the main story and like 75% of the open world stuff.

Maybe I'll go back and try to 100% it, but I doubt it. Some of those Riddler puzzles are super-obtuse.

I am at 71%. I found all of the Riddler trophies hidden throughout the map and all of the puzzles. What I didn't do was a lot of the combat nonsense. I got into the bad habit of just using punches, reversals, and the explosive gel. Why mess with what works?

NNID = Zepp914