As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] Course

PonyPony Registered User regular
So, I got a lot of free time on my hands these days and I spend a lot of it watching Youtube. I'm going to share with you one of my favorite things on Youtube, Crash Course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yocja_N5s1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnQe0xW_JY4

Done by the Green Brothers (Hank and John), Crash Course is a youtube series that sums up in 10-15 minute chunks a wide variety of academic topics. John's end of Crash Course handles the humanities (art, literature, history) while Hank focuses on the hard sciences like chemistry and biology.

They're pretty god damn amazing and you can learn a whole lot from them. Are they comprehensive? No, by their very nature they're summaries of topics. But if you ever wanted an intro to studying something like the Indus Valley civilization, the Great Gatsby, or atomic chemistry, the Green brothers have a fantastic launching point. All of their videos are cited and sourced and can lead you on to a fantastic journey of learning and discovery.

You can also check out Hank's side project, Sci Show, which is about science news and interesting scientific topics you might've wondered about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3bjUu_ONjc

What's some of the cool, edifying stuff you watch on the internet, [chat]?

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    authorized thread go

backup thread is extraneous and must be terminated

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    GOOBY YOURE A LOOSE CANNON

TURN IN YOUR BADGE AND YOUR GUN

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Those are the Vlog brothers right? Those guys are great.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I had a period where I binged on all the finance and economics vids on Khan Academy. Pretty interesting stuff.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    Those are the Vlog brothers right? Those guys are great.

Yes.

They're the vlogbrothers and run nerdfighters and a bunch of other things.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    vlogbrothers are bestbrothers.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The China bashing is fun to read. Especially as a I share with my friend who also has focused on studying China.

It is so bad.

So so bad.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Other cool shit I watch on youtube:

Minutephysics:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4c-gX9MT1Q

Veritasium:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F69uqDIhr60

Vsauce:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHZAaGidUbg

CGPGrey:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AivEQmfPpk

this is the kind of shit that makes Youtube my primary source of entertainment

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Going to repost because this is actually really cool use of the kinect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPyjvfLZdF8

also because this is a better chat

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I am stoked about seeing Bo Burnham tomorrow

Another comedian off the bucket list

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i just melted some chocolate chips and ate a whole bowl of 'em.

FUCK THE POLICE.

• Options

*pulls out a notepad*

*writes something down*

*puts away the notepad*

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @pony thom and I have gotten into the habit of trading old-timey educational newsreels about mechanics

it takes only a minute or two to get over the presentation and then it turns out that a lot of them are really goddamned good

like this one about how differentials work may be one of the best teaching tools I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJY9SxDOTog

or this Army training movie about fluid couplings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leCEmJA0WsI

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Justice is served! Phoenix Wright would be pleased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyqAgewtlT0

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I don't wanna seem like I am so down on china, trashing it in every post. I am having fun, the food is pretty tasty, and it's fun seeing another culture. The hotel I'm staying in is pretty nice and everyone has been very friendly.

That said if one more person tells me "America doesn't have history" or "I have tried KFC and McDonalds and I prefer Chinese food" (I have heard these two lines from every single Chinese person I have met for more than 10 minutes or eaten with), I may light the air on fire. Which may be possible. This photo was taken 5 minutes ago and it's always like this:
    china_out_window.jpg

Tell me, have you seen Turok running around?

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Crash Course science is fairly good stuff but I can't watch anything that distills and reduces history into sound bites

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    I've been watching a lot of Vice lately

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUnobHHAKxo

their stuff is all over the map, some of it is fascinating documentary on global events, some of it is stuff about surfing or skateboarding

i started watching a thing on captive brides in Kyrgyzstan recently but had to stop because it was making me feel physically sick with anger

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Alright, it is 10.30am

got a doctor's appointment re: my crohns in the afternoon

and a whole day ahead of internally stressing over when/how I am supposed to next communicate with the girl from yesterday

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    I don't wanna seem like I am so down on china, trashing it in every post. I am having fun, the food is pretty tasty, and it's fun seeing another culture. The hotel I'm staying in is pretty nice and everyone has been very friendly.

That said if one more person tells me "America doesn't have history" or "I have tried KFC and McDonalds and I prefer Chinese food" (I have heard these two lines from every single Chinese person I have met for more than 10 minutes or eaten with), I may light the air on fire. Which may be possible. This photo was taken 5 minutes ago and it's always like this:
    china_out_window.jpg

2aaa61aac9f76cfdf5bcdb3ccf3a7238.jpg

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The China bashing is fun to read. Especially as a I share with my friend who also has focused on studying China.

It is so bad.

So so bad.

IT REALLY IS OMG

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Okay, so I JUST started watching Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 since it hit Netflix.

I am sad that I never watched this show while it was on air. The Beek is probably the most amazing thing that has happened.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Going to repost because this is actually really cool use of the kinect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPyjvfLZdF8

people who look at this and think the kinect 2 is just a rehash of the kinect 1...

This thing looks magical. Wii Fitness what?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So is the one child policy as stupid as it sounds?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Just great pictures of Mayor Ford. He may be a dick this gave me a laugh.

http://gawker.com/39-breathtaking-photos-of-north-americas-most-photogen-1458983349

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Also, I mentioned this in the last [chat] but I will mention it again

people should read this book, Better Humans? by Michael Hauskeller

it's a fantastic book on the philosophy, ethics, and notions of transhumanism and human augmentation

everyone should read it, even if (especially if!) you don't really know anything about these subjects and have never really thought about them

• Options

china_out_window.jpg

2aaa61aac9f76cfdf5bcdb3ccf3a7238.jpg

Join me, roar, and we can rule this universe as father an-

Crap, did another reference.

:fistbump:

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Okay, so I JUST started watching Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 since it hit Netflix.

I am sad that I never watched this show while it was on air. The Beek is probably the most amazing thing that has happened.

IT IS SO GOOD. I TOLD YOU GUYS. SO GOOD.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rob ford may be the least photogenic human being alive

there are uglier people

but i don't know if any person manages to look so fucking ridiculous and awful in literally every picture of them

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Combined with strong cultural preferences favouring one gender over the other, pretty much.

• Options

yes

it's created a weird population imbalance, ensured that only the rich have more than one kid (the one child policy is really a huge tax on any more than one child) and kind of fucked up china's social norms around dating and relationships and starting a family

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    i've watched don't trust the b but it has guest appearances from Frankie Muniz and David Krumholtz

interesting

• Options
    Pony wrote: »

there are uglier people

but i don't know if any person manages to look so fucking ridiculous and awful in literally every picture of them

Besides the alcohol blackout/crackpipe sessions and PR nightmare, is he an effective mayor?

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    BY28HYr.jpg

• Options
    Pony wrote: »

there are uglier people

Besides the alcohol blackout/crackpipe sessions and PR nightmare, is he an effective mayor?

jesus christ no

he's an incompetent boob

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »

yes

it's created a weird population imbalance, ensured that only the rich have more than one kid (the one child policy is really a huge tax on any more than one child) and kind of fucked up china's social norms around dating and relationships and starting a family

I've read a couple of horror stories concerning the enforcement of the policy as well.

The short version: A pro-lifer's nightmare made manifest.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I love explanatory treatises of things that are easily/conceptually demarcated as discrete systems, e.g., car differentials, chemical reactions (quite literally), etc

or metaphysical outlines, like various political or economic ideas

Maybe I've just been unknowingly influenced by the Nazi-loving Heidegger but I get frustrated with limited Wikipedia entries (the properties of which are admittedly completely necessary for the sake of functionality) that act like moments in history or politics-as-praxis were discrete Things

The extending of scientific attributes to personalities and causal chains, to me, clouds the meaning or purpose of Thing X's existence in the first place, which I argue is more important than the categorization or attempt to understand in an academic fashion

LET SONTAG BE SONTAG DAMMIT

it emerges from a history and plunges into a future or else it gets the hose again

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    if Dubya can run for a second term, I don't see why Rob Ford can't

• Options
    rob ford should have gone all the way and used public funds to procure crack and smoke it in his mayoral office with his bare feet up on the mayoral desk

i hate people that half ass things

919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.