As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[nfl] Gameday talk, Fantasy Football chats, and Photoshop masterpieces.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I know it's generally agreed that defenses tire out quicker than offenses, but I've never been clear on why.

Short answer: Blocking is easier than being blocked.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I know it's generally agreed that defenses tire out quicker than offenses, but I've never been clear on why.

A receiver just has to run in a straight line, and make a cut or two during a play. A cornerback covering that receiver (in man-to-man coverage) has to not only run those same lines and cuts, but also be prepared and keyed up to change direction instantly. An offensive player can also run a play at 85% occasionally, but a defender can not ever let up or they will give up extra yardage and/or points.

DON'T DO THIS EXAMPLE: Try driving down a highway at 65 mph. Now try driving behind a car inches from it's bumper at 65 mph. I can guarantee you that you'll get really tired really quickly as the following driver from having to be ready to press the brake essentially before you even realize you have to.

Veevee on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    If we're doing funny pictures and such, this is mandatory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuvz15OjCVc

Pats didn't play but Colts and Bengals losing helps quite a bit. Gonna be tough next 2 weeks (Panthers MNF on the road, SNF home vs Broncos)

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    On fair catch interference, the full rule:
    Rule 10 Opportunity to Catch a Kick, Fair Catch
    Section 1
    Opportunity to Catch a Kick
    INTERFERENCE
    Article 1
    During a scrimmage kick that crosses the line of scrimmage, or during a free kick, members of the kicking team are prohibited from interfering with any receiver making an attempt to catch the airborne kick, or from obstructing or
    hindering his path to the airborne kick, and regardless of whether any signal was given.
    Item 1:
    Contact with Receiver.
    It is interference if a player of the kicking team contacts the receiver, or causes a passive player of either team to contact the receiver, before or simultaneous to his touching the ball.
    Item 2:
    Right of Way.
    A receiver who is moving toward a kicked ball that is in flight has the right of way. If opponents obstruct his path to the ball, or cause a passive player of either team to obstruct his path, it is interference, even if
    there is no contact, or if he catches the ball in spite of the interference, and regardless of whether any signal was given.
    So while there's no halo rule anymore, if you make it so the receiver can't reach for the ball you're probably still getting flagged

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Speaking of penalties I saw a new one tonight from the Saints. It was pretty minor, but after a play a dude spiked the ball on the ground and was charged a delay-of-game. That was weird.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Speaking of penalties I saw a new one tonight from the Saints. It was pretty minor, but after a play a dude spiked the ball on the ground and was charged a delay-of-game. That was weird.

That's been a rule for a few years I think. They're trying to cut down on all the stupid celebrations you used to see after every play. It's a point of emphasis this year.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

That's been a rule for a few years I think. They're trying to cut down on all the stupid celebrations you used to see after every play. It's a point of emphasis this year.

Yeah I can understand that. There's a lot of frat-boyish "FUCK YEAH" shit about the NFL that annoys the hell out of me.

Like Philadelphia fans.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    celebrations should be allowed and encouraged. especially elaborate touchdown routines.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Well. I guess we might as well shoot for that draft pick now...

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Scoring a touchdown and having all eleven players break out in a choreographed dance? Acceptable.

Tackling the ball carrier after a three yard gain on first down and celebrating like they just won the lottery? Get back in the huddle, nozzle!

The newer rules on celebrations are about speeding up the game. A game that already takes at least three hours to run through sixty minutes of game time. Throw in TV timeouts and then for the Super Bowl an extended half-time song and dance? This shit just takes too long.

Barry Sanders had the best celebration: Score a touchdown, give the ball to the ref and go to the sidelines.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    celebrations should be allowed and encouraged. especially elaborate touchdown routines.

I agree. Let em go nuts as long as they don't take too long. Let em have fun out there... scoring TDs is hard to do, even if some teams make it look easy. I'd be going crazy too if I scored one. Elaborate dances and kung fu routines!

Spiking the ball after picking up a 1st down, and sending it careening away from the official is stupid though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Barry Sanders had the best celebration: Score a touchdown, give the ball to the ref and go to the sidelines.

Well despite scoring touchdowns Barry didn't have much to celebrate
    #cultureoflosing

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well Jacksonville knocked off 4 people from my eliminator. Thank god I took the always reliable Giants this weekend.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I think something along the lines of 90% of folks got eliminated from yahoo eliminator.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    What's funny is someone recommended taking that game this week and I delayed because I'd picked the titans later on to beat jacksonville. That pick is looking a lot worse now.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So, did Cutler re-injure his dingus? This is probably going to look bad for that new head coach in Chicago because he caved to his star QB's demands instead of sticking with his backup who's playing really really well.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Fuck chicago, them not running forte at all cost me fantasy this week. FUCK YOU DITKA WORSHIPPING COCK SUCKERS!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Counterargument
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OscFIfhJk80

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Peyton might be hurt, though I doubt it. Either way it sets up a storyline should the chiefs beat denver this week. Also the "we won for jon" really? Fucking really? You beat the chargers, who are better this year, but no one expected this game to be anything but a blow out.

With the rams destroying indy (the only nfc west team to win against them) it does make Seattle's heart stopper of a win look a little better by comparison.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I'm not a Jacksonville fan, but since they got their first win this year

BYvTrGKCMAAOkVn.jpg
    BYvT2FcCEAAD440.jpg

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Wow, this is the 2nd best one-handed touchdown catch that Golden Tate has made in his career.

• Options
    I want to like Golden Tate, but he's not consistent on anything except being egotistical.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Barely.

Think Tampa Bay can achieve the same thing tonight? I'm eager for Miami to lose.

• Options

Barely.

Think Tampa Bay can achieve the same thing tonight? I'm eager for Miami to lose.

Its possible. I mean Miami beat the colts, but they lost to the bills. Who knows which Miami team shows up tonight?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I want to like Golden Tate, but he's not consistent on anything except being egotistical.

It's a nice counterbalance to the whole Zen Russell WIlson thing though.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Miamis publicity issues are going to hurt them pretty bad

• Options

Well to be honest their O-Line sucked before martin and incognito left. So I don't know if they can get worse.

And Tate is not balance, he's like someone who talks a ton of shit and marginally backs it up. Where as like Richard Sherman talks a lot, but brings it every game. Tate needs to have a shit ton more cash to back up all the check's he's written.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

"Us against the world" is pretty strong.

Even when its stupid.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

They can bully us into rooting for them
    Much like the Cleveland has successfully done over the last decade
    That's like the only reason they have any fans in the first place right?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Dan Marino is the only reason the dolphins have fans, and by that I mean he fathered half the children in Miami.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Wow, this is the 2nd best one-handed touchdown catch that Golden Tate has made in his career.

I want to ask what his best one hander is, but I feel like you're going to say that it's that awful "catch" from the blown call Green Bay game.

That said, as much as I dislike Tate and the Seahawks, that catch yesterday was pretty awesome.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    But part of the reason I love Golden Tate is that people hate him.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    No I believe Tate had another ridiculous catch earlier this year. He can be quite effective when he's not dropping easy passes.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Did anyone catch the head up its ass moment about the 63 dallas cowboys and how they are going to have a special about how a football team dealt with the death of a president? Jesus christ NFL.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    If that was a defensive player it would be a face mask!

All the same, damn he was like "No ain't got time for this bullshit go away."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Did anyone catch the head up its ass moment about the 63 dallas cowboys and how they are going to have a special about how a football team dealt with the death of a president? Jesus christ NFL.

Somewhere, a TV exec is cursing himself for not already filming specials about how the Jets, Giants, Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Nets, Islanders and Rangers dealt with 9/11.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Um Tate is having a great year. He hasn't dropped many passes in my recollection.

In fact I looked it up and he has had 1 dropped pass in 41 targets.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Bobble wrote: »

Somewhere, a TV exec is cursing himself for not already filming specials about how the Jets, Giants, Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Nets, Islanders and Rangers dealt with 9/11.

I'll admit I wasn't alive in 63, but I doubt the cowboys were getting death threats just because they play for the city the president was killed in. And if they were getting threats it was from dumb fucking people who wouldn't kill anyone.

And I'm sure those have already been filmed for the twentieth anniversary. Especially the jets one "People thought because we were jets we took down the two towers, I was afraid for my life."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Well, we just got this from Mike Klis of the Denver Post:
    Broncos source: Manning: "Absolutely will play Sunday against Chiefs." MRI showed aggravation of his right high ankle sprain. No new damage

So, go Broncos!