As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Bonus Comic - The SIN Of Long Load Times

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited November 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub
As a way to mark PA's 15th birthday on November 18th, Mike decided to redraw the very first comic.
i-WtQs9Wz-XL.jpg

Here is the original for easy comparison.
214584757_tSa5c-L-2.jpg

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Wow. I think they could get away with mad-libbing and redrawing their old comics for a year or two before non-fans would notice. This one is fantastic.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I saw the title of this thread in the forum index before I saw the comic and went, "Wait, what?" Did someone necro a 15 year old thread that couldn't have possibly exited to begin with or something?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Brings me back :-)

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Gabe's post that he made right below where he posted this about everything that they've done in the. 15 years was just perfect!

LostNinja on
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I love how there's an entirely new joke in the position of Tycho's legs.

• Options
    Baron_GrinnettBaron_Grinnett Registered User regular
    Er, shouldn't that be a CRT monitor instead of an LCD monitor?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Always thought it was pretty smart of Gabe to knit Tycho a sweater exactly like the one he already wears all the time. No risk of him not liking it.

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular

well it's kind of a new joke now. so like Gabe is feeling nostalgic and finds his old copy of Sin, get's some sort of Win95/98 emulator and loads it up on his gaming rig, but even with the brute force of his new PC, it still runs dirt slow. I wonder what a PC game from that era would look like on some HD LCD screen today?

• Options
    miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    that's preety amazing, so much has changed in the last 15 years it's rather crazy, funny to see the 1st strip redrawn like that, it says everything.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It's amazing how much funnier this joke is when the art adds to the visual joke (the twisting around of tychos legs in the last panel especially).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular

well it's kind of a new joke now. so like Gabe is feeling nostalgic and finds his old copy of Sin, get's some sort of Win95/98 emulator and loads it up on his gaming rig, but even with the brute force of his new PC, it still runs dirt slow. I wonder what a PC game from that era would look like on some HD LCD screen today?

That, or he's still waiting for the same level from 15 years ago but got a new monitor sometime in the interim.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Notice how his telekinesis is never referenced again. This comic has shitty continuity.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I've always found complaints about long loading times to be quaint.
    I had a Spectrum ZX81 with a cassette loader.
    Ten/fifteen seconds to load a level? That's adorable.
    Try two minutes for every level of Lemmings.

You kids get off my lawn etc.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Notice how his telekinesis is never referenced again. This comic has shitty continuity.

He did try to hate Tycho to death once, and it caused a nosebleed.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I've always found complaints about long loading times to be quaint.
    I had a Spectrum ZX81 with a cassette loader.
    Ten/fifteen seconds to load a level? That's adorable.
    Try two minutes for every level of Lemmings.

You kids get off my lawn etc.

Tycho's earlier newspost hit the same sort of mark.

i fondly remember dialing in to the "information superhighway" using nothing but a 14.4 modem and the annoyance of occupying the house landline. now we're talking about downloading entire AAA titles and even remote game streaming.

15 goddamn years wasted on this shit. thanks Obam...i mean Jerry and Mike!

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I went ahead and added the original just for comparison's sake.

Look at how far the art has come in 15 years. Just look at it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Mike's art is my response when people tell me they wish they could draw. Just do it every day.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It's amazing how much funnier this joke is when the art adds to the visual joke (the twisting around of tychos legs in the last panel especially).
    I think I might be alone when I say I prefer the original joke. It's a lot dryer and more understated. The idea that his psychic powers are just "Tycho is three feet higher" and nothing else in the world has changed or matters or is remarked upon is underscored by the "I also knit you this sweater" thing. In this version of the comic, Tycho's frantic leg waggling calls attention to the abnormality of the psychic powers and sort of ruins the joke - I mean, it's kind of funny that SiN takes so long to install that Gabe is now psychic, but the reveal is just a garden variety "he's using it to levitate Tycho who is freaking out." There's nothing really funny or surprising about Tycho freaking out at psychic powers, and that makes Gabe's "I also knit you this sweater" make him sound oblivious to the realities of his psychic powers, which is super in character for Gabe, especially as he's developed in the comic in the past 15 years, but which isn't really funny to me. It's like, yeah, Gabe's dumb or he's a psychopath and doesn't care that Tycho's freaking out. So what? There's no surprising juxtaposition there, nothing discordant that would engender humor.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I'm just glad that they finally fixed that tychpo. Took em long enough.

• Options
    I have to say Gabe's expression in the third panel of the redone version doesn't make much sense to me.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I think I might be alone when I say I prefer the original joke. It's a lot dryer and more understated. The idea that his psychic powers are just "Tycho is three feet higher" and nothing else in the world has changed or matters or is remarked upon is underscored by the "I also knit you this sweater" thing. In this version of the comic, Tycho's frantic leg waggling calls attention to the abnormality of the psychic powers and sort of ruins the joke - I mean, it's kind of funny that SiN takes so long to install that Gabe is now psychic, but the reveal is just a garden variety "he's using it to levitate Tycho who is freaking out." There's nothing really funny or surprising about Tycho freaking out at psychic powers, and that makes Gabe's "I also knit you this sweater" make him sound oblivious to the realities of his psychic powers, which is super in character for Gabe, especially as he's developed in the comic in the past 15 years, but which isn't really funny to me. It's like, yeah, Gabe's dumb or he's a psychopath and doesn't care that Tycho's freaking out. So what? There's no surprising juxtaposition there, nothing discordant that would engender humor.

I didn't interpret it that Tycho was just freaking out from being lifted. I took it to mean that Gabe is not merely lifting him up, but force choking him.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I didn't interpret it that Tycho was just freaking out from being lifted. I took it to mean that Gabe is not merely lifting him up, but force choking him.

Yeah this was my interpretation. And it makes it far funnier.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Whether it's choking or freaking out it's the same thing - it's gilding the lily, so to speak. What's funny about the original is how understated the use of psychic powers is. Gabe doing his psychotic Gabe thing removes that punchline.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Whether it's choking or freaking out it's the same thing - it's gilding the lily, so to speak. What's funny about the original is how understated the use of psychic powers is. Gabe doing his psychotic Gabe thing removes that punchline.
    What are you talking about? Clearly Tycho is dead in the 3rd panel of the original. And he's been a ghost the entire time. That is why he torments Gabe so much, Tycho in the comic is, at different time, a spectral entity and a manifestation of Gabe's guilt for killing him.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I was 9 years old at that time and barely had an idea what this so-called "internet" was supposed to be, let alone Penny Arcade.
    Crazy.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Clearly Tycho is dead in the 3rd panel of the original. And he's been a ghost the entire time. That is why he torments Gabe so much, Tycho in the comic is, at different time, a spectral entity and a manifestation of Gabe's guilt for killing him.

Gentlemen, please, there's no need to fight over this.

The truth is that in reality neither version of the comic is very funny.

But it was their first one.

• Options
    @YoungFrey was joking and I think the original comic was pretty funny.

• Options
    I know he was and I disagree!

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Gaslight wrote: »
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Gentlemen, please, there's no need to fight over this.

The truth is that in reality neither version of the comic is very funny.

But it was their first one.

It was pretty funny at the time given how hilariously buggy Sin was.

I have to say, there is no greater shame that Sin was a buggy game because in interactivity especially it was miles ahead of most games (and actually, it still fucking is). You often had multiple routes into a place, the maps were large and reasonably non-linear (the first bank level especially) and I can't think of another game that lets you hack banking computers to steal the antagonists millions of dollars. It also had some choices that could change levels giving you a different experience when you played the game a second time if you wanted.

But sadly, it came out roughly in the same time frame as Half-Life and it was riddled with game breaking bugs and issues.

:(

Aegeri on
  • Options
    SiN came out around Half-Life, not Half-Life 2. SiN Episodes came out vaguely around HL2 (later though) and apparently bombed. I thought it was decent. I own SiN but haven't played it yet. I'll get around to it some day.

• Options
    Yeah, I wrote a 2 there when I shouldn't have.

The original is very much worth playing. Episodes didn't do very well and then Relic got sold to a mobile games developer :/

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I wrote a 2 there when I shouldn't have.

The original is very much worth playing. Episodes didn't do very well and then Relic got sold to a mobile games developer :/

Ritual, you mean.

Oh, back when Valve was convinced that episodic gaming was the future (turns out it wasn't and DLC actually was, something they're reticent to do unless it involves hats), Ritual apparently wanted to do nine goddamned episodes of Sin. Such optimism...

• Options
    What?

There's been a ton of DLC for a left 4 dead 1/2 and some for Portal 2.

• Options
    Meant the kind you paid cash dollars for, which is generally understood when you say "dlc."

(Insert "grumble grumble back in my day free dlc were called 'patches'" spiel here)

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Meant the kind you paid cash dollars for, which is generally understood when you say "dlc."

(Insert "grumble grumble back in my day free dlc were called 'patches'" spiel here)

You had to pay for most of the L4D dlc on the consoles.

EDIT: Looks like you still do. L4D has two $7 dlc packs and 1 free one, L4D2 has 3 $7 dlc packs and Portal 2's single DLC pack is just free it looks like.

EDT2: Also, I'm pretty sure "Free DLC" is a legit thing, so I'm not sure why you're hung up on cash monies.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Maz- wrote: »
    I was 9 years old at that time and barely had an idea what this so-called "internet" was supposed to be, let alone Penny Arcade.
    Crazy.
    Thanks for making me feel old as shit.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Zxerol wrote: »

You had to pay for most of the L4D dlc on the consoles.

EDIT: Looks like you still do. L4D has two $7 dlc packs and 1 free one, L4D2 has 3 $7 dlc packs and Portal 2's single DLC pack is just free it looks like.

EDT2: Also, I'm pretty sure "Free DLC" is a legit thing, so I'm not sure why you're hung up on cash monies.

Yeah I know, and Valve had grumbled about having to charge for them forever on consoles, hence "reticent." One of the reasons they touted Steamworks on Portal 2 on the PS3 was a way to get around that sort of thing.

Anyway, my original point was about Valve's old vision on how games were going to be created and monetized, hence my "hangup" on paid DLC (otherwise I honestly don't give a damn about the distinction of paid and free, cheeky bullshit about "they were called paaatches" aside). Valve thought the future was smaller, cheaper games produced consistently. The market instead trended towards the same big, relatively expensive game, but supported by cheaper DLC for a shorter period of time. Valve produces that sort of content, yes, but it seems they do so without the expectation of direct profit from them (though you could argue that it bolsters sales of the base game itself, I suppose, and of course the console side -- see up).

But all this is bullshit anyway because we all know the REAL TRUFAX FUTURE is free-to-play everything with hats microtransactions yo.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    Those shoelaces are dangerously long. That is just asking to fall down the stairs!

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    The original is still the best. I think the attempt to change it up ruined the "deadpanness" which made the joke.

• Options
    TheECPTheECP Registered User regular
    It's awesome to see how much Mike's drawing ability has improved