Options

vertical line on monitor

Heya peeps,

My friend got a new PC the other day, but he was using his old Samsung LCD. Everything was working fin, then he decided to try a game, after the game loaded up a blue vertical line appeared on the screen suddenly, and it doesn't go away now. He also tried the monitor on a different PC, same problem.

tIeZ1g2.jpg?1

Is the monitor dead?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Well, no, it's not dead. I mean, it functions, right? But it has that stupid line on it all the time. Which I would think would mean nobody would want to use it unless they're exceptionally tolerant.

It's weird that it would manifest this problem coincidentally right when it was hooked up to a new PC, but if you tried it with a different PC that's pretty definitively a problem with the display and not his rig.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Did he use the same cable when he tried on the other PC? if so try a different one, might get lucky and just have a bad cable.

If not, then the monitor looks to be dying.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Did he use the same cable when he tried on the other PC? if so try a different one, might get lucky and just have a bad cable.

This is a good idea! It's unlikely but possible that it's actually just the cable. Definitely try it before he junks the monitor.

• Options
    MeerkatMeerkat Registered User regular
    Yeah, he tried different cables, and different PC's.

• Options
    heckelsheckels Registered User regular
    its a bad lcd screen...those lines wont go away,... sorry man its shitty

heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Options
    KargaKarga Registered User new member
    edited November 2013
    The friend Meerkat was talking about is me.
    Today, the line on my screen flickered a couple times like it's going low on batteries. For a couple of minutes, it went ON and OFF. Finally in the middle of a game, the Line totally disappeared.
    I don't get how it can fix itself :] The line came back for a few seconds after an hour of gameplay, but then disappeared again. And it's fine since 2-3 hours.
    Anyway, I wont keep my hopes high.

Karga on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Karga wrote: »
    The friend Meerkat was talking about is me.
    Today, the line on my screen flickered a couple times like it's going low on batteries. For a couple of minutes, it went ON and OFF. Finally in the middle of a game, the Line totally disappeared.
    I don't get how it can fix itself :] The line came back for a few seconds after an hour of gameplay, but then disappeared again. And it's fine since 2-3 hours.
    Anyway, I wont keep my hopes high.

Sounds like something in the monitor is almost dead but not quite there yet.

I'd look and see if you can get a good deal on a new monitor with upcoming black Friday sales somewhere.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    It's a loose internal connection, most likely caused by a broken solder joint. To fix it, you'd have to open up the monitor, look for the broken solder joint, and re-solder it.

iTNdmYl.png