As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Catholic wedding ceremony...sacrifice?

HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
My Google-fu has failed me. My friend just got married and is on her honeymoon now, otherwise I'd ask her. She's Catholic and at some point near the end of the ceremony the priest (?) announced that before the reception there would be some kind of a sacrifice ceremony at a different building. I didn't go because I thought it must be a private religious thing, but now I've been trying to look up what it was about and I'm not turning anything up. Can someone please enlighten me or give me a pointer to some place to read about it?

I'm assuming and hoping that it wasn't say...a goat or a chicken or something.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    They went to go eat magic crackers and drink magic wine.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Catholics do not practice animal (or human) sacrifices. While it grew out of Judaism which does (or did) practice sacrifices, in Catholic (and generally in Christian) theology, Christ's sacrifice is the perfect sacrifice and makes all other sacrifices obsolete. I've never heard of a "sacrifice ceremony", much less one linked to a wedding. Is there a chance you misheard what the priest said?

The one thing I could think of is the communion offering. But that doesn't add up, because that wouldn't be in a different building, it would be right in the church on the altar. And it's not done by itself or in a ceremony, but as part of a complete mass.

sig.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If I recall it's some sort of prayer/mass thing. Pretty sure there's no animal sacrifice there. It's supposed to symbolize the new marriage under the care of Jesus or something like that.

Hopefully a practicing catholic can help you more.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Is it possible he said "Sacrament"?

That'd be stuff like communion. Actually I think Marriage is one of the seven(?) too, but I'm rusty on that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Jim SharkmagicJim Sharkmagic That's the Sharkmagic magic. England, UKRegistered User regular
    I was raised as a Catholic and can't think of what this could be...it would be something to do with Jesus' crucifixion/sacrifice as opposed to some kind of goat slaughter, but off hand, I really can't think of what it could be! Perhaps it's a church-specific thing.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Oh god, full communion, otherwise known as how to make your wedding ceremony take 2-3 hours.

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    If you still have a program or a great memory, you could let us know what was done during the ceremony and see if anything obvious is missing.

• Options
    Richy wrote: »
    Catholics do not practice animal (or human) sacrifices. While it grew out of Judaism which does (or did) practice sacrifices, in Catholic (and generally in Christian) theology, Christ's sacrifice is the perfect sacrifice and makes all other sacrifices obsolete. I've never heard of a "sacrifice ceremony", much less one linked to a wedding. Is there a chance you misheard what the priest said?

The one thing I could think of is the communion offering. But that doesn't add up, because that wouldn't be in a different building, it would be right in the church on the altar. And it's not done by itself or in a ceremony, but as part of a complete mass.

My guess would be that they had the reception in one building and then went off to do mass/communion in another building.

Or who knows; maybe it's some twisted branch of the same crazy tree and they really do go out back and kill oxen for their deity.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

Technically this is wrong.

They went to eat human flesh and drink human blood. It's just that their senses can't perceive the change.
    schuss wrote: »
    Oh god, full communion, otherwise known as how to make your wedding ceremony take 2-3 hours.

The best part is that it's tacked onto the end. So its *Wedding* "You may kiss the bride" Cheer/applaud WHOOO, now sit/stand/sit/stand/kneel/stand/sit while old guy jabbers for another hour.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Is it possible he said "Sacrament"?

That'd be stuff like communion. Actually I think Marriage is one of the seven(?) too, but I'm rusty on that.

My guess is this.

Also Jews no longer do animal sacrifice because that was only done at the temple in Jerusalem and there is no more temple at Jerusalem, so it's not been practiced for thousands of years within Judaism.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    We only had the ceremony, we didn't have a full mass because who's got time for that.

We just had 2 readings, the gospel, a homily, communion, the cerem...

son of a bitch! Dat priest tricked us!

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular

What?

I'm constantly amazed at people's funny ideas about Catholicism given its level of standardization.

Mass takes less than an hour, and adding a wedding often doesn't increase that time at all. Sometimes the sermon might drag I suppose. The steps are all prescribed, there just isn't much you can change.

There is certainly no sacrifice of any sort, apart from the Eucharist. As has been suggested, sacrament could have been said, but that's the wedding (or Eucharist) itself. No Sacrament would be performed outside the church unless maybe someone had a stroke during the ceremony and needed Anointing at the hospital :-p

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

What?

I'm constantly amazed at people's funny ideas about Catholicism given its level of standardization.

Mass takes less than an hour, and adding a wedding often doesn't increase that time at all. Sometimes the sermon might drag I suppose. The steps are all prescribed, there just isn't much you can change.

There is certainly no sacrifice of any sort, apart from the Eucharist. As has been suggested, sacrament could have been said, but that's the wedding (or Eucharist) itself. No Sacrament would be performed outside the church unless maybe someone had a stroke during the ceremony and needed Anointing at the hospital :-p

Nah, it was one particular wedding I went to that had it take 2-3 hours. Most Catholics do an abbreviated communion (from what I see) if they're going to do one, but some don't.

• Options

They went to eat human flesh and drink human blood. It's just that their senses can't perceive the change.

The best part is that it's tacked onto the end. So its *Wedding* "You may kiss the bride" Cheer/applaud WHOOO, now sit/stand/sit/stand/kneel/stand/sit while old guy jabbers for another hour.

See? This. So weird. This literally does not exist in Catholicism. The ceremony and mass are integrated, and they take about an hour.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Ahhh man they are killing goats now?

I need to go back to church.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I've been to masses that have been an hour and a half that felt like three hours.

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I've been to masses that have been an hour and a half that felt like three hours.

Certain Holy days have longer masses. Wedding day just ain't one. The priest wants to get to that open bar too.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

See? This. So weird. This literally does not exist in Catholicism. The ceremony and mass are integrated, and they take about an hour.

I am telling you that literally existed. Cause I was at it. It occurred here:
    St Paul's Rc Church
    151 North 9th Street
    Reading, PA 19601

About 4 years ago. I even discussed the anti-climatic nature of the ceremony with other people who were there. So it wasn't just the frankincense high screwing with my mind.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    The order of a Catholic Mass (with some glossing over) in my experience goes:

Opening prayers
    First reading (usually Old Testament)
    Responsorial Psalm
    Second Reading (Usually a letter of St Paul)
    Allelluiah
    Reading from the Gospel
    Priest's Sermon
    The Profession of Faith
    Presenting of Bread/Wine
    Blessing of Bread/Wine
    Lord's Prayer
    Offering the Sign of Piece
    Holy Communion
    Closing prayers

Whenever I've been at a wedding, usually the Sermon and sometimes the Profession of Faith gets swapped out for the actual marriage sacrament. This may be different in America however.

EDIT: Also I've never seen "you may kiss the bride" in real life.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    ThrackThrack Registered User regular
    My wedding (according to a copy of my program used to refresh my memory) went like this
    Full Liturgy of the word (1st and 2nd reading and Gospel w/ all the stuff inbetween)
    Sermon/Homily rolled into the wedding ceremony complete with 'you may kiss the bride'
    Full Liturgy of the Eucharist

I've been to some weddings that were pushing two hours. Take longer than usual readings, a long-winded priest, and add a packed church making communion take forever and the whole process can really be drawn out.

• Options

I am telling you that literally existed. Cause I was at it. It occurred here:
    St Paul's Rc Church
    151 North 9th Street
    Reading, PA 19601

About 4 years ago. I even discussed the anti-climatic nature of the ceremony with other people who were there. So it wasn't just the frankincense high screwing with my mind.

... In the course of human events anything is possible...

However this would involve a repetition of the many parts where these two ceremonies overlap, and would require the priest to alter things that they usually are not interested in.

You're sure this was a Catholic wedding?

P.S. "You may kiss the bride" is an entirely non-Catholic thing, but since it's become so locked in people's minds from movies, some priests allow it. Usually with a comment on chaste kisses in Church.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I've been to two catholic weddings myself, and both of them ran 2-3 hours. Both were in churches with a large party of Catholic wedding guests for the communion so that's likely the reason.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I've been to weddings in a couple denominations.

I would like to say that after going to a Catholic wedding and a Jewish wedding. I'll take a Jewish wedding every day of the week. Even the quick Catholic weddings just don't quite have the same level of fun attached.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

I would like to say that after going to a Catholic wedding and a Jewish wedding. I'll take a Jewish wedding every day of the week. Even the quick Catholic weddings just don't quite have the same level of fun attached.

There's your problem.

The adage is generally Catholics don't have fun because it's a sin. Whereas Jewish people love to celebrate occasions.

But yeah, Jewish weddings are fun as shit!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

There's your problem.

The adage is generally Catholics don't have fun because it's a sin. Whereas Jewish people love to celebrate occasions.

Not an adage!

Irish, Italians, Mexicans.

Not people known for uptight no-funsters.

Lazy drunks with big families, yes.

No-funsters, no.

People are the worst at maintaining stereotypes.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

Unless one of the persons isn't Catholic of course. Also, with weddings the homily can take quite some time.

Also it varies from place to place, even within Catholicism. Priests have quite some freedom, it really depends on the priest how long it will take.

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Hour long Mass? Multiple hours? What?

A Catholic Mass can be done in 20 mins and should be no longer than 45. My sisters wedding was no more than an hour.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The sacrifice you make is time, because Catholic wedding ceremonies are longer than any other denomination I have attended

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    You don't have to have a wedding Mass. My wife is Catholic and our ceremony was something like 20 minutes. If you go to a long Catholic wedding, that's something the Bride and Groom (or more likely, their parents) have inflicted on you.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    edited November 2013

There's your problem.

Not an adage!

No-funsters, no.

Chill out.

I didn't say it was correct. No one is attacking your religion here, you can probably get off the defensive.

bowen on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Has no one been to a "full" Orthodox (Ukrainian, Greek) wedding ceremony? Holy can those be long.

• Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    I've checked with several other people at the wedding and they all heard "sacrifice" as well.

The program had a mass, blessings, and communion in it as well as vows, singing, etc.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yeah in that case they killed a goat.

• Options

There's your problem.

Not an adage!

No-funsters, no.

Chill out.

I didn't say it was correct. No one is attacking your religion here, you can probably get off the defensive.

Not offended, pointing out nonsense.

I mean seriously, if we can't even get our stereotypes right, then who are we, as a people?

Next you'll start talking about Protestant laziness, or ivory tower Polacks.

Shameful.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Got to be "Sacramental." Maybe the priest misspoke. Or maybe they are voodoo Catholics, in which case, so cool. :)

• Options
    Hypatia wrote: »
    I've checked with several other people at the wedding and they all heard "sacrifice" as well.

The program had a mass, blessings, and communion in it as well as vows, singing, etc.

...Were you served Oxen at the reception afterward? Did it seem really, really fresh?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Hypatia wrote: »

...Were you served Oxen at the reception afterward? Did it seem really, really fresh?

You hope it was oxen! :o

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    There could have been reference to sacrifice in the past tense in some way. Jesus' sacrifice, or the spouses' sacrifice for each other or something.

But no need for extra buildings for that.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    We don't really need to be this flippant about people's religions in here. So yeah, stop that.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Sacrifice....ha hah ha.....what a silly idea. Out of curiosity could you name the priest that foolishly spoke in public away from members of the order about the...uh....BBQ...that is definately not part of Catholic mass. *He must be punished*.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum