As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Almost Human] iBrobots, Toy Giraffes, Bioprinters, & Episodes Airing Out Of Order...

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Ketherial wrote: »
    i like this show, but that last episode was definitely a little bit bad.
    they have a dead clone of the perp, eye witnesses (who are cops) to the perp's clones trying to kill the psychic witness girl, and for some reason, they still think the perp is going to get off the hook if the witness girl dies? really? you mean this dead, illegal clone of the perp holding a machine gun and trying to kill the cops and the last suriving witness isnt enough evidence to get the perp some jail time? cmon...

also, i think the writers need to step back and approach the show a little bit more holistically. for example, in the hostage episode, it's been established that there is technology that can create really, really deceptive facemasks. if that's the case, why would the cops be surprised to hear that the killer is the perp (in custody)? when they were having that roundtable, why were clones the only thing mentioned? why not the facemasks?

again, i think the writers need to set out ALL of the tech they believe exists in the show, then write around that. otherwise, there are going to be too many gaps and the world falls apart.

I agree with you for the most part.
    Although with the facemasks thing, maybe I'm mis-remembering but I think they did actually mention that as a possibility but had to discard it when they realized that the vocal samples matched up exactly, which were supposedly impossible to duplicate. So since the vocal analysis showed a perfect match, meaning they had identical DNA, the only other options were either a twin or a clone.

I think you're right though, if they're constantly creating new tech all the time, a number of contradictions could pop up down the line which will be difficult to reconcile. They've already introduced a ton of great concepts, now they just need to work with what they've already given us.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    they have a dead clone of the perp, eye witnesses (who are cops) to the perp's clones trying to kill the psychic witness girl, and for some reason, they still think the perp is going to get off the hook if the witness girl dies? really? you mean this dead, illegal clone of the perp holding a machine gun and trying to kill the cops and the last suriving witness isnt enough evidence to get the perp some jail time? cmon...

also, i think the writers need to step back and approach the show a little bit more holistically. for example, in the hostage episode, it's been established that there is technology that can create really, really deceptive facemasks. if that's the case, why would the cops be surprised to hear that the killer is the perp (in custody)? when they were having that roundtable, why were clones the only thing mentioned? why not the facemasks?

again, i think the writers need to set out ALL of the tech they believe exists in the show, then write around that. otherwise, there are going to be too many gaps and the world falls apart.
    I think that the problem is that while it's illegal to make clones or keep clones, it's not illegal to get cloned without your knowledge (in that instance, the clonee would be the victim of a crime perpetrated by the cloner). So they needed to establish that the guy they had in jail knew about the clones and was working with them, otherwise any lawyer could make an argument to the effect that the eye witness was mistaken, and had seen an illegal clone committing murder to frame the original, and the original didn't know anything about it.
    And, since you've already killed the clone, it's hard to refute the story. With no witnesses and a firmly established alibi, it's hard to get past a reasonable doubt.

As for the magic face masks that could fool the drones... don't have an answer for why that wasn't brought up. Maybe they covered it with the recorder investigation?

• Options
    polaris415polaris415 Registered User regular
    I'm hopeful that this show passes the FOX filter. I'm a fan of it, but don't trust FOX with SciFi. They were able to turn around Fringe and keep it on the air.

I've watched all of the aired episodes so far and like it a lot.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    My only complaint about last episode was that the clones didn't look they were 20 years younger than he was (which the female detective found out in the cabin) and how they became so good with weapons and being criminals. They acted like veteran career criminals with tactics and strategies I'd expect from former soldiers or trained by soldiers. Unless I missed something the latter was never explained.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    My only complaint about last episode was that the clones didn't look they were 20 years younger than he was (which the female detective found out in the cabin) and how they became so good with weapons and being criminals. They acted like veteran career criminals with tactics and strategies I'd expect from former soldiers or trained by soldiers. Unless I missed something the latter was never explained.

Well they used science magic to age them up with stem cells and other science magic to mentally age them up

as for facemasks
    They specifically ruled out anything other than a clone with the vocal match

override367 on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote:
    So I guess now we know where Dorian lives, with a bunch of Ken dolls. I could not stop laughing for the first five minutes of this episode. My favorite line was when John asked Dorian what he did with that (his robot wang) and Dorrian's response was "the same thing you do with yours, absolutely nothing."

Yeah I loved that bit. Mind you I love the banter between John and Dorian in general. Whoever writes their dialogue is really quite good at witty banter.

Regarding events in this episode:
    The whole act of Dorian flipping the car kinda surprised me. I get that androids would be stronger than your typical human, but flipping a car while in motion seems like it'd be awfully difficult even for an android, unless the car was somehow incredibly lightweight. The cloning thing itself wasn't terribly impressive, but I did like that they established how that particular piece of tech is regulated and controlled. It also leads me to wonder, just how advanced biotechnology is in the setting.

There was a prelude to this, they mention the new models can only lift a metric ton. That's why
    throwing a moving, armored van is such a what the fuck?. A cargo van (today) is four times that weight, before putting several people inside, and before armoring it.
    Also, I hated the "action running bionic man" shot they used right before it.
    being able to lift a ton provides plenty of strength to knock a tall vehicle like a van over. You don't have to be able to lift 4 tons to knock over a 4 ton vehicle if you hit it high.

I agree but they made it look like he upended it by lifting it from the bottom. Not knocking it over from the side. Maybe I remember wrong, I'll have to watch that part again.

A van isn't a 4 ton block of steel. The weight is distributed all over the place, almost nothing is in the back end where Dorian hit it. It's not about lifting 4 tons, it's about shifting the center of gravity enough to let it flip itself.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Well they used science magic to age them up with stem cells and other science magic to mentally age them up

as for facemasks
    They specifically ruled out anything other than a clone with the vocal match

You know I'm starting to feel that this episode was actually just way too clever in concept, because it seems much better in retrospect from this discussion here.

I think they really needed to work on explaining the legal dimensions of clones committing crimes, because it's a compelling argument
    that yeah, a bunch of clones of you killing people doesn't make you guilty, and catching the clones was necessary to establish you did the original murdering or not.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

I thought the bolded part alone at least warranted (see what I did there?) an interrogation session with Dredd Kennex. Best part of the episode was the first few minutes when you could see that John was just itching to ask Dorian about "down there." Even though this is billed as a drama, the interaction between those two cracks me up.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    I liked the episode, mostly for the character interactions rather than the plot. Hope we get to see more of the psychic girl in future episodes. Plot wise it was kind of mess, the genius murderer was easily tricked, basic investigation was apparently ignored before bringing the case to court. And in the end, the guy is convicted purely based on an eye witness account in an episode that established the murderer had several identical clones. Clones who were already proven to be murderers, with much better motives than the defendant.

It was nice to see Deputy Andy, ironically not an android in this show about androids.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Missed a few episodes, picked it up tonight and couldn't stop laughing with the circumstances of the dead cop droid in the first ten minutes or so.

• Options
    Yeah, that whole sequence was hilarious. This show continues to deliver the comedic moments.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I feel as if tonight's ep was meant to be #2 or #3, but otherwise another solid crime story with some great banter and just a peek at the ethical dilemmas of tomorrow. Which is exactly what I want this show to continue being.

Houn on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Request thread title change to "Bitcoin, it's untraceable."

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    I was a little worried at first that this episode might be less than stellar early on, but my fears were quickly alleviated as the episode progressed.
    I rather liked the bit at the end with the janitor DRN reminiscing about why he missed being a cop. I'll admit I hadn't really thought about why it was that Dorian really wanted to be a cop, but the idea that the job provides some of the most intensely human experiences available was an interesting idea.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I was a little worried at first that this episode might be less than stellar early on, but my fears were quickly alleviated as the episode progressed.
    I rather liked the bit at the end with the janitor DRN reminiscing about why he missed being a cop. I'll admit I hadn't really thought about why it was that Dorian really wanted to be a cop, but the idea that the job provides some of the most intensely human experiences available was an interesting idea.

Am I the only one that found it really effed up that
    Dorian wiped Janitor-DRN's cop memories after the ride-along? I mean, sure, he let him keep the little kid hug memory, but the whole concept of him being the one to just unilaterally alter the mind of another android seems really wrong. Especially after the way he seemed disturbed at the destruction of the realskin hookerbot.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Houn wrote: »

Am I the only one that found it really effed up that
    Dorian wiped Janitor-DRN's cop memories after the ride-along? I mean, sure, he let him keep the little kid hug memory, but the whole concept of him being the one to just unilaterally alter the mind of another android seems really wrong. Especially after the way he seemed disturbed at the destruction of the realskin hookerbot.

He undid what he gave him, removed his case files that were giving him the equivalent of PTSD. It's unclear if the memory of the child came back with the case files, I guess it is sort of implied when he asked if he still remembered the child. It definitely showed he wasn't meant for the work. In a way putting a being to work in something else like they did is kind of humane, if we want to consider them to be self

I threw up in my mouth a little bit when that got mentioned.

An amazing episode thought! Terrifying in a way as well. I could see artificial organs being setup to work that way in the future.

I am willing to bet we get a plot of
    the DRN's are fine to use as cops and were excellent at their jobs, but :politics and contracts to syndicate controlled company: put the other models in

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I feel as if tonight's ep was meant to be #2 or #3, but otherwise another solid crime story with some great banter and just a peek at the ethical dilemmas of tomorrow. Which is exactly what I want this show to continue being.

If the onion is to be believed it was meant to be ep 3.

As far as the end of the ep.

The captain yelled right before that scene, so I'm guessing Dorean was required to mem wipe the other drn. Also the end bit was hilarious and dickish from kennex.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Preacher wrote: »

If the onion is to be believed it was meant to be ep 3.

As far as the end of the ep.

The captain yelled right before that scene, so I'm guessing Dorean was required to mem wipe the other drn. Also the end bit was hilarious and dickish from kennex.

I thought it was going to be DRN saying "Know what would make me feel better?"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiPvkj0lGQ
    It's what that noise always reminds me of

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just find it funny that Dorean has so much of a personality so as to be annoying to Kennex unintentionally.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I just find it funny that Dorean has so much of a personality so as to be annoying to Kennex unintentionally.

I think its to juxtapose that Kennex isn't xenophobic(hating the stiff robots), he just hates everyone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah he's definately a dirty harry style people person. Though he gets results. I'm sure there is some traumatic child hood event for kennex burbling below the surface, though I really hope there isn't. Sometimes people can just be dicks.

I have to wonder if Karl Urban is a really warm guy in reality, it would be hilarious as a counterbalance to just about every character he's ever played.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Yeah I like to look at his rosters of film, and him taking them going "man, this is going to be fun". I'm looking at you, doom where he played "John Grimm". Everything I have read has put him as a huge nerd. All those sci fi /fantasy roles he's gotten is because he loves the series there from(xena,Dredd, doom, star trek, lord of the rings). Apparently him, Vin Diesel and Judy Dench played D&D together during filming for the second riddick. Talk about a dream team party to play with. If I could be a fly on those walls.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Karl Urban by all accounts is a giant teddy bear and often hugs small animals while dressed as Dredd.

That might not be 100% correct

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Man, I was going to quit watching this show, but then they went and put out a great episode like this and now I have to keep watching.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Would an especially grumpy guy take this picture?

karl-urban-kid-dredd.jpg

• Options
    Dredd apparently doesn't do up all the buttons on his shirt. LIKE A BOSS!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    It's hard to not watch this as a Dredd prequel honestly.
    I also think the memory wipe was because what's worse? Remembering the dream you can't have or remembering just the pay off (the connection with the kid) I think he did a great thing.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Thought about it. Maybe. But you could end up with Dogecoin.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Not sure I'm a fan of the comedy in the show. Like, I'm okay with most of the back and forth with DRN and Dredd, but the Rube Goldberg stuff was a drone too far.

Really like the show otherwise though, it's entertaining as heck.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    Would an especially grumpy guy take this picture?

karl-urban-kid-dredd.jpg

The man's wearing Chuck Taylors.

No more need be said.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Not sure I'm a fan of the comedy in the show. Like, I'm okay with most of the back and forth with DRN and Dredd, but the Rube Goldberg stuff was a drone too far.

Really like the show otherwise though, it's entertaining as heck.

But... that was the best scene!

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Naah, the DRNs making mouth noises to irritate Kennex was the best.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Naah, the DRNs making mouth noises to irritate Kennex was the best.

the fact that that is a shared quick amongst the DRNs is great, as was Kennex' reaction to it.

• Options
    Well it wasn't so much shared as Dorean clued in that it pissed Kennex off so he did it, nothing more than what children do.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I loved the whole VFX choreography when
    the DRN accidently caused that UAV copter crash, as ridiculous and breakfast machine-esque as it was. Rewound and watched that back a few times. :)

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Well it wasn't so much shared as Dorean clued in that it pissed Kennex off so he did it, nothing more than what children do.

Dorean did that in a previous episode, not long after he was initially woken up. I wonder if it is something that the DRNs do as a self test for their lip / mouth muscles to make sure they can emulate facial expressions (something the DRX don't seem to do).

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    For something that's supposed to be combat back-up for cops, those Ken dolls don't seem very sturdy.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I really want to know more about "The Wall". Do they just have a dirty,criminal town behind it or something?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    For something that's supposed to be combat back-up for cops, those Ken dolls don't seem very sturdy.
    Taking a bullet is a bit different than taking a drone.

sig.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    I really want to know more about "The Wall". Do they just have a dirty,criminal town behind it or something?

The wall seems to be a literal border wall.

His girlfriend mentions it takes six weeks to get back in the country during the pilot

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.