As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying new eyeglasses

rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
I recently got my eyeglass prescription updated and decided it was time for a new pair. I shopped around a bit and finally found a frame I liked at a large eyeglass chain (Lenscrafters). Even better, it lined up nicely with the large Black Friday sale they are having. Problem solved, right?

The odd thing I ran into was that they wanted to sell me the display frames they had on the floor. This struck me as odd, because if I'm going to pay the (substantial) chunk of cash for a purchase, I expect a new product, not one that's been worn and potentially battered by dozens of other people. I asked them if they could order a new pair of the same frame, and they acted as though this was the strangest request they'd ever heard. Not salesperson-pushy surprised, they seemed genuinely surprised that someone would want that. They said they'd look into it but didn't think it was possible.

Thing is, it's been so long since I've bought eyeglasses, I honestly don't remember if this is standard or not. I feel like in most fields, a display model is just that, and it's only sold as a last resort. But maybe this is more like clothes or shoes, where what's on the rack is what you get?

Essentially, H&A, I need a reality check as to whether this is normal for buying eyewear and I'm being silly, or if they're trying to clear off a display model at my expense. Google is not helping.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I've never heard of it. Seems very strange, not to mention silly because many frames are laughably cheap. I've had BJ's optometry re-frame a good pair of lenses for dirt cheap, and re-lens a good pair of frames for beaucoup bucks.

I'd seriously consider taking your prescription to an online vendor (Goggles4U, Zenni Optical, etc.). You can punch in your prescription and get a pair of frames for <$10. You lose the ability to try them on and size them, but they're pretty good at posting all of that information so you can compare it to your current frames. I picked out a pair at my optometrist and got the dimensions out of the catalog so I had something to compare it to. I should note that my prescription is awful (-7.50) and thus I have to use ultra-high index lenses that cost about $45, plus another $10 for frames.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Every time I've gotten a new pair of glasses, they (my eye doctor's office) have to send the order to their supplier who then fits the new prescription lenses into the new frames, definitely not the display.

If this is normal operating procedure at LensCrafters, I would just go somewhere else. That display frame is going to have worn out screws and hinges. No bueno.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »
    I recently got my eyeglass prescription updated and decided it was time for a new pair. I shopped around a bit and finally found a frame I liked at a large eyeglass chain (Lenscrafters). Even better, it lined up nicely with the large Black Friday sale they are having. Problem solved, right?

The odd thing I ran into was that they wanted to sell me the display frames they had on the floor. This struck me as odd, because if I'm going to pay the (substantial) chunk of cash for a purchase, I expect a new product, not one that's been worn and potentially battered by dozens of other people. I asked them if they could order a new pair of the same frame, and they acted as though this was the strangest request they'd ever heard. Not salesperson-pushy surprised, they seemed genuinely surprised that someone would want that. They said they'd look into it but didn't think it was possible.

Thing is, it's been so long since I've bought eyeglasses, I honestly don't remember if this is standard or not. I feel like in most fields, a display model is just that, and it's only sold as a last resort. But maybe this is more like clothes or shoes, where what's on the rack is what you get?

Essentially, H&A, I need a reality check as to whether this is normal for buying eyewear and I'm being silly, or if they're trying to clear off a display model at my expense. Google is not helping.

If they are custom tweaking the pads and frame to fit perfect on your face, this is something I've done in the past. If they are just putting them in a box, that's odd.

• Options
    DisenchanterDisenchanter Magnolia, DERegistered User regular
    That's how Lenscrafters works, I have gotten my new glasses there every year for the past four years, as have my wife and son. Their inventory is what you see on the floor, you pick the frame, they cut the lenses then you get your glasses within an hour give or take.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Find the frames you like online. There should be a model name on them somewhere, google that and buy them from the cheapest reputable looking store, then go to an optometrist and have them fit both the frames to your face, and the lenses to the frame.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Find the frames you like online. There should be a model name on them somewhere, google that and buy them from the cheapest reputable looking store, then go to an optometrist and have them fit both the frames to your face, and the lenses to the frame.
    Once you know your script and face measurements. it is going to be a better deal to get your glasses and frames online. By a lot unless you have vision insurance.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Dear god - LensCrafters? You are paying for speed. . .nothing more. Just go to WalMart and be done with it (or if you are just all Anti-WalMart - an actual optometrist; but you really can't beat 25 buck lenses).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I cancelled the order at Lenscrafters and went to a local optometrist. I'm much happier with what I got, what I paid, and the people I worked with.

Feel free to close the thread now.

• Options
    Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    i work in an opticians, and sometimes sell the frame off the shelf sometimes order a whole new one in. there is reasons for both. some times people want a brand new frame. (thats no problem) and sometimes people want the one off the wall. they try it on and say thats comftable thats the one i want. tends to be people that have comfort problems. or are very picky about colour. alot of frames are made in batches of placstics and can come in slightly diffrent shades. most of the time the frame on the wall is not the right size and a new one is ordered.

i kind of liken it to buying shoes. some times you end up with the pair that where on the shelf, but alot of the time you have some from the stock room because they ones on the wall wernt your size.

Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post