As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Friend in Need...

KiasKias Registered User regular
A close friend of mine is in some ongoing legal trouble which I won't go in to. It is serious stuff, and I had to consider what it would mean if any of it were true. After attempting to remove my personal bias, I ultimately ended up leaning towards the opinion that he is innocent, but really I do not believe myself or anyone other than the officials investigating have sufficient data to make a definitive conclusion. It's one of those things I never thought I would have to think about, but I decided that it's not my job to ascertain guilt, but to be a friend, and that is what I have been doing.

A couple others in our social circle, which prior to this seemed like a close-knit group, are opting more for a "guilty until proven innocent" approach. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so that is fine even if I disagree, but we have two big events that always bring everyone out: a Halloween party and a Christmas party. Keep in mind, with everyone's schedule and not everyone being the most social of creatures, getting everyone out is a rarity so these are usually pretty special occasions.

This year, my friend was not invited to the Halloween party, which was not revealed until we all got there (several of us dressed in a themed outfit to match his and his wife's just as a way to show support, which made it kind of an elephant in the room for the entire event). Now he is also not being invited to the Christmas party. Once again, I am not organizing the party and if the organizers are not comfortable inviting him, that is up to them, but I guess until now I viewed this as an "our party" sort of thing, instead of "my party."

Right now, I am leaning towards not going, because while I respect everyone's right to their own opinion, I still think it is an unfair approach for someone who has always been a good friend to everyone involved. Instead of leaving my friend and his family high and dry, I am thinking of taking them out the night when we would usually have our party. Another friend has suggested maybe we can just do things on separate nights. While the latter option has an appeal to it, I do miss seeing a lot of the people that will be there, part of me feels like it is, I don't know, condoning the exclusion maybe? And it would still leave my friend and his wife out in the cold come party night. I guess I am just not sure how to feel about it.

So what do you all think I should do in this situation? I don't like how some of my friends are acting and I honestly didn't expect it, but that is how these things go sometimes. I get that no one wants to be associated with trouble and being around someone who could potentially be guilty makes some uncomfortable, but it just feels more like fear than it does logic. Am I being over-dramatic by taking them out during the party night? Should I just do two separate get-togethers? Any advice would be appreciated.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Reading what you wrote I clearly got the impression you want to send a message of disapproval of locking this guy out. If that's what you really want to do then go out with him and his wife on party night. Missing the rest of the group is the price you pay for that.

If you want to support him but don't care about sending the message just go to the party and arrange to see him sometime else.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Personally, while I know you don't want to go into the details, it's the details which would decide for me.

Is he having legal troubles over some shoddy bookkeeping? Eh I'd probably not exclude him.

Is he having legal troubles over molesting/assaulting/raping someone? I wouldn't say I'd consider him guilty, but I'd probably put my friendship and contact with him in a state of limbo until it's decided.

It's a personal decision of where your "line" is.

If what he's accused of doesn't cross your line, but does cross your other friends' lines, I would probably just do two events. But either way, if some of my friends are just flat out not comfortable being in the same room as him, forcing him into the party just wouldn't be good for anyone.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Seems like the choice is between: (1) freezing out someone from their social circle when they are innocent of charges and they haven't yet been exonerated and (2) socially supporting someone who's guilty of bad stuff until it's proven they did bad stuff. IMO I'd rather risk the latter than impose the former. A lot of that is going to be informed by the charges and how close I am to the accused. If I were not going to attend then I would explicitly state why.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Sounds like you've decided to let the courts decide about the crime, so I won't speak to that.

On condoning the exclusion: in my opinion, if you go to the party you give the appearance of condoning the exclusion, full stop. There are no two ways about that. If you want to show your disapproval for the way they are treating your friend, the only way is not to go, and to tell somebody exactly why, instead of making up an excuse. It's up to you how important it is not to appear condoning.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I agree with ceres, people in his position already have it difficult and losing your social status often causes larger issues for the person (depression, suicide, other crappy things).

You should do what you feel and think is right. If that means not attending the parties anymore? Do it.

Also, I'd recommend you let everyone know why you're no longer attending. This way there's no question that you're not a "rape apologist" or "scumbag wife beater's buddy" or whatever the case is here. My language on that last part is a bit harsh, but I've also had to deal with that "guilty before innocent" nonsense among friends too, it sucks, and your friend will really appreciate your support. At least, they usually do anyways.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I agree that is the crime is something that has potential to make the hosts feel uncomfortable with just cause, then this is really on you. I'm guessing that you don't want us to speculate as to what that crime was.

I've made the choice to not be involved with certain people from my former highschool group of friends, and made it pretty clear that if X or Y was present, I was not going to be. In that situation, I happened to be the odd one out, and so the consequences of that were mine. Occasionally I sat out of group gatherings in favor of my personal comfort/feeling of safety. If this is a matter of feeling safe, when you approach your friends with this I would not try and make them feel guilty for making this choice,

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    This crew sounds like the barber shop quartet in trading places. If you don't think he did it, you should probably skip the party.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    I agree that is the crime is something that has potential to make the hosts feel uncomfortable with just cause, then this is really on you. I'm guessing that you don't want us to speculate as to what that crime was.

I've made the choice to not be involved with certain people from my former highschool group of friends, and made it pretty clear that if X or Y was present, I was not going to be. In that situation, I happened to be the odd one out, and so the consequences of that were mine. Occasionally I sat out of group gatherings in favor of my personal comfort/feeling of safety. If this is a matter of feeling safe, when you approach your friends with this I would not try and make them feel guilty for making this choice,

I'd be more onboard with these kinds of concerns without the suprise factor. From what we're told it was unknown that the guy wasn't gonna be there but whoever is organizing these just kinda decided it for people and didn't actually solicit input on it.

After that point it gets super complicated with peoples perception of safety and comfort balanced against if he actually did it and ultimately the whole issue of repentance/forgiveness and all kinds of stuff. Really at that point it all becomes very personal.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    Reading what you wrote I clearly got the impression you want to send a message of disapproval of locking this guy out. If that's what you really want to do then go out with him and his wife on party night. Missing the rest of the group is the price you pay for that.

If you want to support him but don't care about sending the message just go to the party and arrange to see him sometime else.

This is a good point. I guess I do want to communicate my disapproval but don't know if this is the best way to go about it. As I mentioned, the whole thing has me a bit confused.
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Personally, while I know you don't want to go into the details, it's the details which would decide for me.
    [...]
    If what he's accused of doesn't cross your line, but does cross your other friends' lines, I would probably just do two events. But either way, if some of my friends are just flat out not comfortable being in the same room as him, forcing him into the party just wouldn't be good for anyone.

I understand that I left some context out and that does influence how folks are reacting. I don't want to be specific, but think more along the lines of, the internet can be a terrible place with terrible things and clicking the wrong place can put some of those terrible things on your hard drive. So, if it is true, then yes, it crosses my line. But I do not believe it is true, and there is no way for any of us to know one way or the other.
    ceres wrote: »
    Sounds like you've decided to let the courts decide about the crime, so I won't speak to that.

On condoning the exclusion: in my opinion, if you go to the party you give the appearance of condoning the exclusion, full stop. There are no two ways about that. If you want to show your disapproval for the way they are treating your friend, the only way is not to go, and to tell somebody exactly why, instead of making up an excuse. It's up to you how important it is not to appear condoning.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking and I will be sure to politely clarify why I am not going. I think I feel like I am choosing between people and it's just kind of shitty. This is more about who I want to be as a friend than picking one over the other, and I would do the same for the majority of the people who would be there.
    bowen wrote: »
    I agree with ceres, people in his position already have it difficult and losing your social status often causes larger issues for the person (depression, suicide, other crappy things).

This is my biggest concern. This has had a huge impact on my friend and his family, both socially and financially. Worse, everything is moving so slow. They have been in legal limbo for months, and will be for several more months.
    Iruka wrote: »

Yeah, actually, I have done the same thing. I feel like that choice is result of actions they take that I personally know of and can confirm. I knew person X was wildly irresponsible, dangerous, or whatever. There is no knowing in this situation. However, having distanced myself from people before, I am trying to be empathetic and understanding to those who are doing it now.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Kias wrote: »
    I feel like I am choosing between people and it's just kind of shitty.

I think you pretty much just say this with a dash of 'innocent until proven guilty' and you're covered.

You can also explain to your friend that while you may support him, you also have your own life to live, and go if you please.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Unfortunately being accused of some things will essentially ruin the lives of the person accused, even if found innocent, they won't ever be looked at the same way again. It sucks, but that is the way it is. If this is one of those things, I think you are sadly going to be put in a position where you will have to choose to either support this person and alienate the others, or alienate them in order to be welcomed among the others.

The behavior shown right now is already going to have done harm. Being purposefully excluded until the courts decide is likely not something he and his family will just be able to shrug off and laugh about later, even if he is found completely innocent.

So what you do now is up to you... but no matter what, I don't think this group of friends is ever going to be the same as they were before, you need to plan for that as well as doing what you feel is right.

So personally, I'd say it sucks, but I'd tell the friends your reasons/justification and say if he's not invited you feel that it's the right thing to do to stand by them and go out and do something. Maybe that will have the group reconsider, or maybe they just cant, but will respect your wishes.

After this year, assuming he's found innocent, it's likely you will need to do something with the group on the planned night, and him and his family on an alternate night going forward. I just don't really see everyone being all that festive around each other after this.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Kias wrote: »
    I don't want to be specific, but think more along the lines of, the internet can be a terrible place with terrible things and clicking the wrong place can put some of those terrible things on your hard drive. So, if it is true, then yes, it crosses my line. But I do not believe it is true, and there is no way for any of us to know one way or the other.

I don't know how helpful this may be, but I feel like anything so bad on the internet as to have possible charges brought up and alienate a bunch of friends is probably pretty easy to avoid.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Sorry ceres.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Let's not start with that.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    In your position, with the implied situation, I would probably side with your group of friends. A lot would depend on who and how well I knew the accused, but honestly if this was legal, not just rumors / speculation, I'd be very hard pressed to support anyone outside of my immediate family. Even then, there would be a lower level of trust, and never a situation where they would be alone with my kid.

Unfortunately, there are trusts that once broken can never be repaired. Even if charges were dropped / they were acquitted, that trust would never come back fully and I would always have some suspicion / subject them to a higher level of scrutiny. And this is talking about someone like my dad or sister - much less another friend.

I do understand though being in a position where you have to put 100% faith in someone that they are telling you the truth. But, you can't fault your other friends - friends who have different relationships, different feelings / standards, and different concerns for not giving your friend the same faith. You also shouldn't them for not wanting the unpleasantness the situation brings with it to what should be an enjoyable night. It may be the elephant in the room, but the whole point of that cliche is that everyone is ignoring it.

I'm not going to go into the blame in the situation and so-on, but it's quite possible that you won't be able to remain neutral and will need to choose which friend or friends to lose. You are the only one who can determine if it's that important that you support your friend - and how you support that friend. Being frank with your group of friends, and respecting (even if you disagree) with their position might be the best course of action. It will maintain some form of a bridge and maybe even get some guarded support from members of the group that wouldn't be able to offer any support otherwise.

At the very least, it gives you an opportunity for your group of friends to understand what you feel and why. That is, if it's important to you that you maintain those relationships. Your accused friend also will probably understand if you tell him that you don't think it was right he wasn't invited, and you do still support him, but your circle of friends is still important to you. I don't think a good friend would ever want you to burn all of your personal / social relationships on their behalf.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    A true friend is someone who has your back when it is unpopular.
    If I believed him, I'd distance myself from the "no smoke without fire" fair weather brigade.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I just want to say that, if it makes you feel better about what you're doing, it's great that you're going to try to stand by your friend, at least for the time being. I'm not directly involved, but I know someone currently going through a similar situation, and it makes a GIGANTIC difference to the person to know that someone is there for them-- that someone still considers them a person worthy of compassion. Personally, I feel like while, OBVIOUSLY, I would never-- not in a million years-- not even a little-- condone the behavior or the related industry, I also feel that even people who actually ARE involved in that sort of thing are still humans and therefore deserve psychological help and support. A lot of society refuses to treat someone that way at all, even when there's no proof whatsoever they've actually done anything. For me, that goes completely against what I believe to be basic human decency, because yes, I feel like even if someone does something terrible, society should try to help them become a better person if at all possible. But! That's getting a little off-topic.

My point is, you aren't alone in the world in feeling this way, so stand by what your heart tells you to do in this situation. I would probably make plans with your friend outside of the party, and then it's up to you whether you think you should go to said party. If you feel like going is supporting everyone else cutting out your friend, then don't go and tell your friends the exact reason you aren't coming so there's no ambiguity.

Edit: Personally, I don't necessarily feel like going to the party is cutting your friend out IF you also do something with him separately. But it's up to you.

Essee on
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Deebaser wrote: »
    A true friend is someone who has your back when it is unpopular.
    If I believed him, I'd distance myself from the "no smoke without fire" fair weather brigade.

Everyone has their lines, and everyone has their reasons for where their lines are.
    Whether yours is further or not doesn't determine your level of friendship.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    If you are suggesting that being accused of something that crosses your "line" means that you should ostracize someone even if you believe they probably aren't guilty, then I think that does say something about the quality of your friendship.

• Options
    I'm saying that belief overriding logic doesn't equate to a more meaningful friendship.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I can understand both sides of the coin.

The way innocent before proven guilty works is someone can be conceptually innocent, while still guilty as fuck. And people might not feel comfortable with this fact, and thus, they give up the friendship. There also exists a point where you need to draw the line between acquittal/not guilty and conviction. Sometimes shit happens, and while it gives you the right to feel however you feel, I personally will frown on how you react to someone that gets caught in the crossfire when they're not at fault (usually you can tell when someone's not guilty and just being charged because someone's a petty dick, or there was a misidentification).

Without much details, I can't really give a super definitive answer other than "go with your gut and what makes you feel better." A few hundred thousand years of social evolution is on your side.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    If you are suggesting that being accused of something that crosses your "line" means that you should ostracize someone even if you believe they probably aren't guilty, then I think that does say something about the quality of your friendship.

I don't think anyone is saying that he needs to ostracize his friend. It would in fact be a pretty shitty thing to do if he truly believes his friend is innocent.

However - because he believes his friend, or if what his friend did / is accused of doesn't cross his line doesn't mean that his other friends feel the same way. Maybe they are just shitty fair-weather friends who dumped the mutual friend at the first sign of controversy. Maybe they don't believe the mutual friend the way OP does. Or maybe they even think that the mutual friend PROBABLY isn't guilty, but they feel strongly they can't take the chance for whatever reason.

OP - if he truly believes his friend is not guilty - should not take part in ostracizing his friend. At the same time, he needs to decide based on his own beliefs and the situation if trying to remain neutral and still engage with the group of friends is even possible. It may not be, he may be compelled by his own conscience to take a side, or he may be compelled by his friend / group of friends to take a side.

But at the end of the day it's a personal decision he needs to make, and real friends would recognize and acknowledge, even if they don't agree with it. Even if they feel betrayed by it.

It's a shitty situation and unfortunately there probably isn't a good way out that doesn't involve damaging relationships on one side or another.

• Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    Let me ask the question in this light. If your friend is accused of a terrible crime and you have no way of knowing whether he is guilty or innocent and you distance yourself from him, but he is later found not guilty, does that make you a terrible friend because you abandoned your friend at one of the lowest points in his life?

There are a lot of very good reasons that the American justice system considers everyone innocent until proven guilty.

Alternate point of view: If your friend is found guilty you can always cut off ties then fairly easily (even easier since he'll be going to jail). If your friend is acquitted there is no way to restore that friendship.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Also, its not like people exactly choose to want to consume the content were discussing here. Often they are victims of abuse themselves. We stigmatize it so much that people are unable to seek help. So they could probably use your friendship even more if they are convicted and seeking help. Rather than help these people we stigmatize, isolate, and imprison them without due process. So I encourage you to write and support this person especially if they are found guilty, because being treated like the modern version of a leper is the worst fate one can experience short of torture and ir doesn't help them rehabilitate any.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    HollerHoller Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    If your friends are not comfortable being friends with this person anymore, it is really not your place to try and guilt them about it.

You are certainly allowed to distance yourself from these people if you no longer find their friendship meaningful given the way they've treated him. But you will not be doing yourself any favors by trying to "take a stand" here.

These people are allowed to choose who to be friends with, and they are not being unfair by doing so. I understand why you feel that way, but that just isn't how friendships work. Even if you are doing everything right and being great, other people are still allowed to not really like you or want to be around you, nor can they always control the fact that they just Don't Want To Be Around You. Accepting that is a part of life. It sucks that this all happened at once for him, but it sounds like he still has people on his side and isn't alone in this, so I'm sure he'll make it through alright. It might be tough, but that is also a part of life, and it is unfair to ask people to spend time with someone they don't feel comfortable/safe around in order to pretend everything is okay and not hurt anyone's feelings (except the people being made uncomfortable).

Also, is the victim of his alleged crime (if there is a victim) a part of your social circle? If so, I would unequivocally drop any idea of taking a stand on this right now, because I really don't think you want to be That Guy.

I would also recommend taking a look at the Five Geek Social Fallacies if you haven't already, because it is a really excellent little writeup that plays into your problem pretty well, as well as some other really common issues that you tend to run into amongst the nerdier social circles: http://www.plausiblydeniable.com/opinion/gsf.html

Long story short: I would do separate get togethers, as I don't really see a huge downside to hanging out on multiple occasions (unless you are very busy). If you really don't want to associate with the people throwing the party, then don't go, but taking a stand on this issue will only hurt your friendship with the party-throwers, and almost certainly won't do anything to "fix" the perceived injustice here.

Holler on
  • Options
    I've gone to parties where a former regular was purposefully excluded, and I've been the one excluded. In my experience, that elephant doesn't disappear because the person does, and maybe it's uncomfortable to take a stand but it's better than trying to nod politely to the gossip and unkind words that remain, all the while trying to feel like you're supporting your friend.

Say he tells you he's fine if you go, and you do. I guarantee you he'll feel hurt anyway, as the only person left out. He almost certainly won't blame you - you already said he's been a very good friend, and support of your friend's friendships comes with that. But don't make the mistake of thinking you aren't taking a side. But say you go anyway.

You will be treated to what will mostly be a pleasant evening - sooooooo glad that other guy isn't here. Remember last time when he showed up anyway? awkaaaard. But now he's gone and it's just us normal non-criminals. Did you hear his family is doing this? What's the latest on him? Is he in jail yet? You know I always knew there was something kind of off about that guy. Wait, you think he didn't do it? Innocent until proven guilty you say? Oh.. that's nice. Very open-minded of you. I hear he blah blah blah blah blah....

Maybe your friends aren't gossipy at all. Maybe no one will even think twice about him not being there, which will be a little strange in itself since you've been doing this for years. But the more likely thing is that he comes up negatively at least once, and you will either be put in the position of gossiping with the herd to avoid rocking the boat at a party, defending him because it's that or throw him under the bus, or feeling like you need to keep silent while the people around you suck.

You don't have to say you aren't going because he's not been proven guilty yet, douchebags... you can say that you don't want to go while there's conflict because you don't want to take a side, and you'll be around for the next one. Or you can go, but going will probably not be as comfortable or fun an experience as you are imagining, and in all likelihood you will end up wishing you hadn't in favor of doing what you feel is right.

The fact is, for me it wouldn't be worth it. For me, someone not wanting to take a chance on me after a false accusation absolutely informs me of how good or close a friend they are. If he can go back to being around them after this, he's just a better person than I am.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Holler wrote: »
    I would also recommend taking a look at the Five Geek Social Fallacies if you haven't already, because it is a really excellent little writeup that plays into your problem pretty well, as well as some other really common issues that you tend to run into amongst the nerdier social circles: http://www.plausiblydeniable.com/opinion/gsf.html
    This is amazing.

It helps that when you've had enough life experiences. Some of those fallacies are the things that when you see enough real shit, you can properly interact with your friend groups.

The true test of if you have overcame those fallacies is if you can look at your best friend in the world and tell him "I have a lady coming over and you need to go the fuck home."