As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Dev - Unreal 4.13 Out Now!

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    If you want entities to rebound off walls in a predictable way, is it better to code that specifically or would you want to use physics in that case?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    If you want entities to rebound off walls in a predictable way, is it better to code that specifically or would you want to use physics in that case?

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh... Again I would say code it specifically if you want it to be predictable, but it might not be realistic. The question then would maybe be "how predictable". Like if someone slams into the wall at a million miles an hour, should it rebound the same amount as if it lightly brushed it? Should it predictably bounce at exactly half the speed it hit the wall at or something? Is the speed that it would hit the wall even a variable thing, or would it always be in at the same speed and out at the same speed?

My general rule of thumb is if you want something to behave realistically, use physics, if you want consistency and predictability, code it.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Well, the knockback speeds are all going to be precisely controlled. So I'll know its speed when it hits the wall. I don't know if I'll make it variable or not, but if I do, it'll be a controlled variation.
    Basically I just want people to be able to bounce enemies off walls to juggle them. In most games they just hit the wall and fall down.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    did this on a whim today

it's a weird little mobile game where you're an int and you try to make it larger by picking up stuff that would, you know, do that. and not picking up stuff that would subtract from you. you die and start again if you spend 5 seconds as a negative number

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    I started working on a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D43qCzY2jGU

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Kashaar wrote: »

We did something like this for Isaac Fruiton. Based on the town name you put in it randomly generates a town out of a bunch of levels w/ baked lighting etc.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for all of the replies, folks!

Basically I'm trying to build a 2D, 3D semi-enabled platformer that's a little bit Sonic and a little bit Metroid, with enemies and obstacles that predominantly apply knockback on contact. I realize that Sonic games use a lot of "cheats" instead of just using physics, but I'm not going nearly as far as that, so hopefully physics and a lot of edge detection can do it. I do in fact use FixedUpdate and Forces. I think my knockback scenario is similar to Morninglord's; no friendly fire, but possible use of enemies to trigger environmental effects.

The thing I'm finding is that the objects aren't even going that fast, visually, usually less than 100f... but even with continuous detection on both the acting object and the collided-with object, there's still phasing going on with just basic interactions. It makes me worry what will happen when the player is facing multiple enemies using knockback at the same time in similar directions...

--

Update: Cutting the TimeStep down to .01, in Conjunction with Continuous collision seems to have worked for now. I'll have to do a few more experiments to see what this does, but it's a step in the right direction. Thanks again!

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Kashaar wrote: »

We did something like this for Isaac Fruiton. Based on the town name you put in it randomly generates a town out of a bunch of levels w/ baked lighting etc.

Nice! Yeah, that's kinda the idea :)

I added overlap prevention last night and told it to generate a 200 chunk level. That's 200 sublevel instances loaded:

6dof-overlapprevention.jpg

Next on my to-do list are door/transition management (multiple door anchor types, and adding actual door meshes), and using my spline mesh system to dynamically connect some open door anchors. Right now the system creates just a linear branching tree without interconnections...

Hmm... When I've got this all worked out, I wonder if I should polish it up for the marketplace. Over 9000 Dungeons, anyone? ;)

Kashaar on

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Add random falling through the floor and you have Daggerfall's dungeon generator.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Unreal 4.10.0 is out today. None of the changes or improvements are particularly interesting to me, but I upgraded to see if they fixed the bug with decals and orthographic cameras.

They did not, which is fine, I only posted the bug about a week back or so. What's less fine is that upgrading my project from 4.9 to 4.10 necessitated the installation of VS2015, which ended up taking around 2 hours.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Some work done tonight: Updated to 4.10, made level generation seeded, so that I can more easily debug things, and: doors! Capped all the open anchors that would have let you fly outside of the level, and added a configurably random amount of doors in between chunks.

6dof-doors.jpg

Wheee!

Edit: Oh right, I also made all non-door lights static and accelerated the whole level chunk loading process by digging deeper into code. It's got its claws in me...

Kashaar on

• Options
    That's really rad

• Options
    Wait
    is this a descent style game

excuse me i need a tissue

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Unreal 4.10.0 is out today. None of the changes or improvements are particularly interesting to me, but I upgraded to see if they fixed the bug with decals and orthographic cameras.

They did not, which is fine, I only posted the bug about a week back or so. What's less fine is that upgrading my project from 4.9 to 4.10 necessitated the installation of VS2015, which ended up taking around 2 hours.

Yeah uninstalling VS2013 is what took the longest for me before upgrading to 2015. It's ok though as I can't work too hard as let my hand heal after getting hit with an axe.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Wait
    is this a descent style game

excuse me i need a tissue

Yup.
    *hands Morninglord a tissue*
    Handkor wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »

Yeah uninstalling VS2013 is what took the longest for me before upgrading to 2015. It's ok though as I can't work too hard as let my hand heal after getting hit with an axe.

Ow... how did you get your... Hand... kord... under an axe?

Kashaar on

• Options
    I was chopping wood that is a bit too green and working through a large knot when the axe stayed in the crack it just created. It was not stuck and pulled out too easily but I was not ready to hold back its weight so it fell 3" onto my left hand slicing through my leather glove as if it wasn't there and stopping 1/3" into my index finger's flesh. After 13 hours waiting at the emergency room they glued my finger back together.

btw your level generator is looking great.

• Options
    I was chopping wood that is a bit too green and working through a large knot when the axe stayed in the crack it just created. It was not stuck and pulled out too easily but I was not ready to hold back its weight so it fell 3" onto my left hand slicing through my leather glove as if it wasn't there and stopping 1/3" into my index finger's flesh. After 13 hours waiting at the emergency room they glued my finger back together.

Ouch. Glad to hear you're still in one piece!

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Not enough D:

• Options

jesus

sorry to hear that mate

• Options
    fuuuuck

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    On the other hand, now you have inspiration for a Lumberjack Simulator game where things can go horribly wrong.

I hope your healing gives you full use.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Don't worry guys, it's not that bad. No tendons, ligaments or bone were harmed. I already have full use, I just have to let it heal properly. I'll probably try to continue cutting wood tomorrow, although I'll limit myself to sledge and wedge on the 250lbs pieces.

I am also in the process of making a fusion reactor simulation. You'll have to get every system from electrical to cooling going for ignition and then work on balancing the reactor to achieve main sequence or self sustaining equilibrium.

Right now I have a supply equipment base class that control the flow of resources to other connected devices. I can now connect all the labs lights to a switch hooked up to a generator and switch them on and off. I can also exceed the generator output and have everything dim as not enough power can be supplied. I am going to be applying this same principal to cooling, cryogenic, vacuum, etc... subsystems.

This is getting all set up to be controlled by instrument panels with dials and meters giving you subsystem feedback. Should be fun to make.

Handkor on
  • Options
    Don't worry guys, it's not that bad. No tendons, ligaments or bone were harmed. I already have full use, I just have to let it heal properly.

That's a relief.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    If it had been worse you'd have to change your username to kor.

• Options
    IzzimachIzzimach Fighter/Mage/Chef Registered User regular
    For procjam I wrote a maze generator based on Penrose Tiles. Works pretty well but I don't think I'll have time to add interaction (i.e. have a dude move around the maze).

JMgkSLD.png

• Options
    I'm trying to call a custom event in my C++ game mode that triggers an event in the blueprint of a derived class, and I'm having some trouble.

ConsoleGameMode.h:
    	UFUNCTION(Exec, meta = (Keywords = "Scenario"))
    		void SQAdd(FString Command);

ConsoleGameMode.cpp
    void AConsoleGameMode::SQAdd(FString Command) {
    	ScenarioActions.Add(Command);
    }

SQAdd is a command that allows me to enter things on the console in this game mode. I've mentioned it before - things like moving the camera, moving units around, etc. Previously I've maintained a TArray<FString>, and the function for SQAdd just added items to that array. Then, in TacticsGameMode (a blueprint class which derives from ConsoleGameMode) I had an OnTick event that checked the array (accessible via parent variables and handled them. It works, but it's less than optimal. I'd like to only use OnTick for things that happen on tick. So I added this:

ConsoleGameMode.h
    	UFUNCTION(BlueprintImplementableEvent, meta = (DisplayName = "ExecuteAdd"))
    		void ExecuteAdd(FString& Command);

And replaced AConsoleGameMode::SQAdd with this:

ConsoleGameMode.cpp
    void AConsoleGameMode::SQAdd(FString Command) {
    	ExecuteAdd(Command);
    }

This all compiles, but ExecuteAdd doesn't show up in the list of actions on my event graph for TacticsGameMode. Any ideas?

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Anyone else have trouble building/running 4.10?

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Spent a good half hour today looking through why a timer wasn't counting down correctly.

Turns out I set up the timer reset and all the timer behaviour....

...and never had it set to count down at any point.

• Options
    IzzimachIzzimach Fighter/Mage/Chef Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

I did a clean build of 4.10 with VS2015 and I got an "internal compiler error" :bigfrown:
    Then I built it again and luckily it built fine. If it failed again I would probably have re-wound to 4.9.

• Options
    Izzimach wrote: »

I did a clean build of 4.10 with VS2015 and I got an "internal compiler error" :bigfrown:
    Then I built it again and luckily it built fine. If it failed again I would probably have re-wound to 4.9.

I fixed it by nuking everything except the .git and then checking out a fresh copy

• Options
    oh git

• Options
    Oh a hint for the UE people: if you want to write source that can move easily between multiple projects, the precompiled header thing is only enforced for .cpp files, you can use .cc to write files that will compile for multiple projects. And yes you can define UCLASSes in these files too

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Izzimach wrote: »

I fixed it by nuking everything except the .git and then checking out a fresh copy

Relevant

git.png

Handkor on
  • Options
    Yeah, in terms of the schism between "using git" and "understanding git", nothing compares.

• Options
    I was working on lighting my game and having issues with light intensity and attenuation until I read the ue4 docs on lighting and saw IES profiles. I wish I had used these sooner, they work so well.

• Options
    I haven't dealt with them much, but the one time I did it seemed like there were issues with dynamically setting brightness of a light? Maybe that's outside of what they're supposed to be useful for

• Options
    Yes if you check "Use IES Profile Intensity" you can no longer change the brightness. I need to be able to flicker my lights so I just copied the intensity value from the profile into the intensity box and left use intensity unchecked. Seems to work fine.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    no python library is complete without my new discovery

https://github.com/ajalt/fuckitpy

sometimes you don't wanna deal with any god damn exceptions

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    TWITTER DUMP
    Haven't started designing the inside of this manor yet, but I have got 3 different ways in other than the front door
    CT-MqnKVAAAzJFS.png
    CT-MsyNVEAExsM9.png
    CT-MtdHVAAAnf2x.png
    CT-My9-UYAAsly9.png
    Example of how I’m doing my base level geo for my UE4 game (project thiefygame) in Hammer/Worldcraft
    tumblr_ny5ee5qEfi1tbr4izo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ny5ee5qEfi1tbr4izo4_1280.png
    tumblr_ny5ee5qEfi1tbr4izo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ny5ee5qEfi1tbr4izo1_1280.jpg

Also, not strictly game dev but I did a video about Oni modding
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LRyxtXkPng

LaCabra on