As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Shoot birds, mine asteroids

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Yea I'm not expecting a ton of visual options with the ships

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    nomanssky-talkslides-25.jpg

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Oh man, that red Buck Rodgers ships is going to be mine, lol.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    They're all procedurally generated too btw, so no two will be completely identical.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Hmm

Well I guess if I spin the procedural wheel enough, that's the next best thing

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular

Well I got served

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Makes me think of how borderlands handles gun, good system.

• Options
    Game has gone gold. We're so close!

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    INJECT IT INTO MY VEINS!

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    INJECT IT INTO MY VEINS!
    Fuck yes!
    I NEEDS IT NOW!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Top RateTop Rate Registered User regular
    What are your thoughts on end-game? The idea of multiplayer being a big part of the game, yet never interacting directly with players has had me thinking.
    I have been listening to a few podcasts where this was discussed, and thinking this all through to a logical... game-design conclusion : (nothing real spoilered here, just thinking and sharing some thoughts for debate)
    We will all be spending at least some of our collective time cataloguing planets, naming creatures... etc. But after naming 1-2 normal-ish trees, and a few armadillos... many of us may not bother 'naming' things unless they impress upon us some sense of 'wonder', or if there is some benefit in-game (credits, resources) for doing so. The game designers must know this... going through a clunky text interface is really immersion-ruining, so people will only take the time to put their stamp on things they are proud to have discovered.
    Adding to this thought... we understand that ~90% of the planets we visit will be rather desolate... the resource gathering and space combat / trading to get from System A to System B will be spattered once in a while with encounters of gorgeously lush, life-filled worlds. But most of the time, we will be landing on barren rocks, maybe with a bit of basic life.
    Wouldn't these 'Awesome" worlds / creatures be a big source of any cataloguing in the game, ie: all the 'cool' things we see and bother to stop playing + pull up the interface + type in a name for?
    Wouldn't that mind-blowing planet be an oasis in the universe well worth sharing?
    But we all know... >99.99% of the game will never be explored.
    So... ATLAS is updated constantly with these discoveries (we don't know how exactly, but...)...
    Couldn't the Endgame - read "black hole" at the center of the galaxy - give us an ability to search + navigate to the named systems, worlds, and creatures 'named' by our fellow travellers? Could that be the big 'reason' to keep going Hello games has hinted at in many of their interviews?

Your thoughts?

Anybody see the pool? They flipped the bitch!
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    The idea of fast travel doesn't feel to me like it meshes with the developers' vision for this game, so I don't think that'll be it. It's an interesting idea though and you could see it really changing the dynamic of the universe as more and more people reach it.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    This... isn't as much variety as it looks like at first. A bunch of these ships are palette-swaps of each other, with maybe one or two minor physical differences between the two. I get the feeling that after browsing the ship store a few times they'll all start to blend together.

It's my biggest fear with this game given the small team that's developing it. The engine, ambition, and design all seem great, but they could have used about 10x the budget for asset development. The design screams "play me for 300 hours," but the eerie sameyness might result in something more akin to a 10-15 hour play time.

I think the design elements that try to push you off of a planet after spending a few minutes with it are a clever way to help deal with this. The planets, being actually planet-sized, could provide silly numbers of hours each to canvas, especially if they have planetary-level biodiversity. But then you'd only need to explore a couple planets to see every major permutation the game has to offer. So, it either hides the fact that most planets are basically the same or that most planets only have a handful of things on them by making sure you don't spend too long on any one to peer under that hood.

I think my biggest hope is that this game is successful enough to spawn a true AAA version that drastically increases the number of asset pieces. The curve of resulting combination possibilities is very favorable as you continue to add such assets; each one gives you a greater return than the last in terms of variability. Of course there's probably a ceiling you can reach where it becomes impossible to add any more components without resulting in some really awkward-looking critters, so then you just move on to the next core skeleton on which to make even more asset pieces.

I'm imagining techniques like this applied to a AAA RPG like Skyrim where every time you start a new game and explore you encounter weird new monsters to fight, and it makes me really excited for this potential future of video games.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Top RateTop Rate Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    This... isn't as much variety as it looks like at first. A bunch of these ships are palette-swaps of each other, with maybe one or two minor physical differences between the two. I get the feeling that after browsing the ship store a few times they'll all start to blend together.

It's my biggest fear with this game given the small team that's developing it. The engine, ambition, and design all seem great, but they could have used about 10x the budget for asset development. The design screams "play me for 300 hours," but the eerie sameyness might result in something more akin to a 10-15 hour play time.

I think the design elements that try to push you off of a planet after spending a few minutes with it are a clever way to help deal with this. The planets, being actually planet-sized, could provide silly numbers of hours each to canvas, especially if they have planetary-level biodiversity. But then you'd only need to explore a couple planets to see every major permutation the game has to offer. So, it either hides the fact that most planets are basically the same or that most planets only have a handful of things on them by making sure you don't spend too long on any one to peer under that hood.

I think my biggest hope is that this game is successful enough to spawn a true AAA version that drastically increases the number of asset pieces. The curve of resulting combination possibilities is very favorable as you continue to add such assets; each one gives you a greater return than the last in terms of variability. Of course there's probably a ceiling you can reach where it becomes impossible to add any more components without resulting in some really awkward-looking critters, so then you just move on to the next core skeleton on which to make even more asset pieces.

I'm imagining techniques like this applied to a AAA RPG like Skyrim where every time you start a new game and explore you encounter weird new monsters to fight, and it makes me really excited for this potential future of video games.

Yes, agree. One thing that seems like it will be the routine is:
    Touch down
    Scan around
    Encounter beast types A/B/C
    Encounter plant types D/E/F
    Shop ship types G/ H / I
    Search for resources common to this solar system / planet
    Search for structures for boosts
    blast off for next planet

What I am hoping for is a steady progression of 'weirder, cooler, more dangerous beasts / plants / ships / resources / structures' the closer you get to the center of the galaxy. ie: you start at distance Z from core...

I'm fine with terraria-like progression through planets of similar distance from galactic core as various 'biomes' for creatures, ships, etc... ie very basic example ....
    'green slime on planet A'
    Blue bigger slime planet B
    Red small quick moving slime planet C
    Black slow moving, poison slime planet C

Once you get past a certain threshhold in the galaxy, where you are now closer than "Z distance", between X-Y distance from core, so now you encounter new entire types of aliens / ships etc...
    I hope that will keep me moving forward naturally wanting to progress to see 'what else is out there'.

The developers have said they want you to move, explore, so you hope that moving from system to system really 'wows' you... there have been a number of times hello games demos have wound up surprising the devs with what they find... so we can wait + hope and see.

Either way, as you said it's looking like a huge leap forward in the application of this methodology.

Anybody see the pool? They flipped the bitch!
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    The beauty of the design in this game is that they don't need a huge asset team. Hopefully the procedural generation will achieve more than any asset team could think of.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Campy wrote: »
    The beauty of the design in this game is that they don't need a huge asset team. Hopefully the procedural generation will achieve more than any asset team could think of.
    The procedural generation is limited by the number of asset pieces that the generation has to work with.

Scroll up a bit to that big image of ships. Look at the first row, columns 4 and 6. Those two ships both share the same set of parts at the center of the ship, but they have slightly different parts on either side of it (col 6 seems to lack a back piece while col 4 has a shorter front piece). They each have a different coat of paint.

Now look at row 5, column 3. It's basically the ship you get if you shove the first two ships we just looked at together -- the front piece of 1,4 and back of 1,6, same center configuration, and another coat of paint. Now look right next to it at column 4. It looks like it has one piece in the center different, but they're otherwise identical (and even have very similar paint jobs).

There are many other ships that share similar configurations to these. 2,6 and 2,9 have lots of familiar stuff going on with the ships we just looked at. 7,8 and 7,9 are looking remarkably familiar here. And after looking at 7,8 we can jump to 7,4 to find a nearly identical ship, or to 3,1 and 3,6 which have nothing new to show us at this point. There are a number more we could look at from here, but I think you get the point.

That image only features 72 procedurally-generated ships, yet I don't think there's a single one on there that looks unique compared to the rest of them. In fact I bet you'd find pretty much all the major pieces used throughout the image by just looking at the first two rows, or 18 ships. Overall the image gives the impression that the game has 4 or 5 ships with a few minor options to tweak (or rather ways to mix-n-match those 4 or 5), which actually feels quite paltry.

Now, perhaps this image was generated using a small subset of their actual ship parts so that we'd still be surprised when we saw the game. But that seems ill-conceived; if they have enough ship parts that they could make 72 ships that all actually look different, then they'd have enough parts to generate hundreds of ships that look fairly unique (even if they do share a few aspects).

What's limiting them here is their set of assets that the procedural generation is using to create the ships.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I hope Sean Murray gets to hibernate for like two months after release.

• Options
    I'm less concerned about the ship uniqueness, since from what I understand, you probably are never going to see another person the entire game. Your ship is going to be unique by default. I'm kinda worried about the differences in planets, since we've only seen one so far.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    The procedural generation is limited by the number of asset pieces that the generation has to work with.

Scroll up a bit to that big image of ships. Look at the first row, columns 4 and 6. Those two ships both share the same set of parts at the center of the ship, but they have slightly different parts on either side of it (col 6 seems to lack a back piece while col 4 has a shorter front piece). They each have a different coat of paint.

Now look at row 5, column 3. It's basically the ship you get if you shove the first two ships we just looked at together -- the front piece of 1,4 and back of 1,6, same center configuration, and another coat of paint. Now look right next to it at column 4. It looks like it has one piece in the center different, but they're otherwise identical (and even have very similar paint jobs).

There are many other ships that share similar configurations to these. 2,6 and 2,9 have lots of familiar stuff going on with the ships we just looked at. 7,8 and 7,9 are looking remarkably familiar here. And after looking at 7,8 we can jump to 7,4 to find a nearly identical ship, or to 3,1 and 3,6 which have nothing new to show us at this point. There are a number more we could look at from here, but I think you get the point.

That image only features 72 procedurally-generated ships, yet I don't think there's a single one on there that looks unique compared to the rest of them. In fact I bet you'd find pretty much all the major pieces used throughout the image by just looking at the first two rows, or 18 ships. Overall the image gives the impression that the game has 4 or 5 ships with a few minor options to tweak (or rather ways to mix-n-match those 4 or 5), which actually feels quite paltry.

Now, perhaps this image was generated using a small subset of their actual ship parts so that we'd still be surprised when we saw the game. But that seems ill-conceived; if they have enough ship parts that they could make 72 ships that all actually look different, then they'd have enough parts to generate hundreds of ships that look fairly unique (even if they do share a few aspects).

What's limiting them here is their set of assets that the procedural generation is using to create the ships.

That image was taken from a demonstration showing how the procedural generation system modifies parts of a "genus" to generate new "species." They showed similar examples with a few different kinds of animals. I expect that those were chosen sort of "sequentially" in terms of the generation to show the variation mechanics.

You will probably start recognizing the underlying genus in various animals, but as long as that doesn't happen to me until at least hour ~50, I'll be pleased with the investment. I plan to focus more on intergalactic trading than exploring, anyway.

• Options
    Ir reckon this is going to disappoint many people.

• Options
  • Options
    Hey I'm all in but I know people who are expecting way too much from this.

• Options
    Sorry can't talk, too busy shovelling the hopes and dreams of thousands into the hype furnace.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So close, yet so far away!

I can't wait to be Commander Skullnumbers: Space Explorer(and sometimes Space Asshole probably)! Gonna stock up on adult diapers and cases of Ensure so I never have to leave my chair.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Ir reckon this is going to disappoint many people.

Yeah, I imagine it will capture a lot of people but also turn away quite a lot.
    Also, have they talked about patching and adding content much? I recall that being a thing, but not sure where I heard it.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Hey I'm all in but I know people who are expecting way too much from this.

Yep, I'm cautiously optimistic, but I lived through Spore, so... you know.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »

That image was taken from a demonstration showing how the procedural generation system modifies parts of a "genus" to generate new "species." They showed similar examples with a few different kinds of animals. I expect that those were chosen sort of "sequentially" in terms of the generation to show the variation mechanics.

You will probably start recognizing the underlying genus in various animals, but as long as that doesn't happen to me until at least hour ~50, I'll be pleased with the investment. I plan to focus more on intergalactic trading than exploring, anyway.
    Oh!

Well. Um.

Hooray!

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    To be clear, I am expecting Star Wars style worlds, with a single biome each, and about a dozen or so unique animals on each. If you have a thousand different base animals, and you recognize a genus (my word, not theirs) after about the third time seeing it, then that's still likely to be several hundred worlds visited before you you start seeing widespread duplicate genus. Likewise, if they have a hundred different ship genus and you only have a couple of options for new ships each system, you can expect to go pretty far before you recognize a duplicate. Considering the amount of time put into this game by even the small development team, neither of those two numbers seems unreasonably large to me.

Honestly, the part I'm most looking forward to is the seamless transition from surface to space. If that continues to be as smooth in the game as it looked in the demo, then I'm sold.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Apparently the disc size is only 6 GB (with most of that being audio), according to Murray. I don't know if there's a download in addition to that, but that's kind of nuts.

• Options
    IS the game an always on the internet game? Most of the beef might be on site for them, and we just get a client. Or the download is going to be huge if just 6 gigs is on the disk.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    IS the game an always on the internet game? Most of the beef might be on site for them, and we just get a client. Or the download is going to be huge if just 6 gigs is on the disk.

Or it's all just math, and that type of procedural generation doesn't take up much space.

• Options
    I got the impression you can play offline as well. Or at least you can choose to share what you name the discovery.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »

Or it's all just math, and that type of procedural generation doesn't take up much space.

There was this famous comment from a little while back...

obviously it's not ready for the big time until it can take up more space.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So now there's graphics whores, FPS whores, and lines of code whores...?

"60 bucks for this trash?! There isn't even a million lines of code! Rip-off garbage!"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    What's the best preview to read right now on this? I need to decide if I want it or not and truth be told I just know soundbite descriptions of the systems.

edit: n/m, found one!

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/1/11340322/no-mans-sky-preview-ps4

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Eh.. that's a controlled preview with the dev. I'm gonna wait for someone to actually have full access for at least 8 hours.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Eh.. that's a controlled preview with the dev. I'm gonna wait for someone to actually have full access for at least 8 hours.

meh. it gave me a good idea what to expect.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Ah definitely, I'm just wary on if it will hold up. I fell for the Simcity 2013 fiasco, where everyone was given a short demo of the game, and it was insanely fun. But once you played for about 6-8 hours, you realized how bad it really was.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I am not sure if I am sold on the game yet or not but I cannot help but compare it to Spore. I find it odd that so few other people are doing the same because they seem so similar in the surface.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion