Options

I need to upgrade an un-upgradeable laptop

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
I have a shut-in friend who finally managed to get a laptop. It's REALLY good except it only has an on-board 32meg graphics chip. The idea of trying to return the thing and find another one sends her into panic fits so is there any way at all I can get this thing upgraded? It's a Dell Inspririon 17R.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    You cannot upgrade it full stop.

It looks like some models in the 17R series actually used to come with discrete GPU's (525M maybe?) but none of the current ones do.

The Intel HD Graphics 4400 in the current 17R's should actually be capable of light gaming, stuff like Starcraft 2, DotA2, on low settings. And of course lots of older games on Steam and GOG will be fine. Most anything else current you will struggle to get 30fps on low/medium graphics settings though.

If your friend is not a big gamer I don't see how the lack of a good GPU is a problem.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    She is a big gamer. That's the problem. She got the laptop to do more gaming.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Well then I don't know what to tell you. It doesn't have space or a slot to add a new GPU. Even laptops that do have discrete GPU's generally have them soldered directly to the motherboard so it's not like you can swap them out.

• Options
    Someone mentioned somewhere about having some external device that you can add a card to and then connect it to the laptop. Anyone know what that is?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Someone mentioned somewhere about having some external device that you can add a card to and then connect it to the laptop. Anyone know what that is?

I have never heard of anything like this. A Google search turns up a thread on Notebookreview forums where some guy is supposedly trying to build an external enclosure for graphics cards with a USB 3.0/3.1 interface as a senior project. There is nothing even close to a finished product and a lot of people on there were seriously questioning whether such a thing could possibly even work.

There are also external PCi slot expansion systems like this, but their only purpose is to convert a single existing PCi slot (which you do not have in that laptop) into several more PCi slots, and the extra slots would be totally incapable of handling the throughput from a modern graphics card anyway.

Bottom line, there is no device you can stick a GPU in and connect it to your laptop and have the benefits of having a discrete GPU. If such a thing existed the people selling it would be making a killing.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    If it has an expresscard slot there may be some options out there, like a GPU that plugs into there (which will be a pretty crappy GPU), or an adapter plus housing plus PSU plus desktop card thing (which makes it much less of a laptop). No way she can just sell it and buy a better laptop?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah she needs to return the laptop post-haste and get something with an actual discrete graphics card in it.

If she wants to throw a shit fit, just tell her it's either that or she just completely wasted her money.

• Options
    Yeah she needs to return the laptop post-haste and get something with an actual discrete graphics card in it.

If she wants to throw a shit fit, just tell her it's either that or she just completely wasted her money.

She found out her ex is a pedophile and she was molested by her father for years. She hasn't been out of the house in 8 years. Cut her some fucking slack, ok? Little things that we have no problem doing, she does.

• Options
    Djeet wrote: »
    If it has an expresscard slot there may be some options out there, like a GPU that plugs into there (which will be a pretty crappy GPU), or an adapter plus housing plus PSU plus desktop card thing (which makes it much less of a laptop). No way she can just sell it and buy a better laptop?

Thanks, this may have been what I had heard of. I'll look into it.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2013

the laptop needs to have something that is essentially a pcie on a port, so either expresscard or thunderbolt. I'm not sure a similar device exists for usb 3.0, but I'll do some looking into it.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4570-[guide]-2012-13-rmbp-gtx660-sonnet-echo-express-se-@-10gbps.html#post63754 would be something that you may of seen, but that runs off thunderbolt.

Ok did some more digging, and I can't find anyone that makes any sort of usb3.0 -> pcie or usb3.0-> expresscard adapters. Sorry, doesn't look like it will be possible to add an external gpu to that laptop.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    As far as I can tell from Dell's site no iteration of the Inspiron 17R has an expresscard slot.

• Options
    Foomy wrote: »

the laptop needs to have something that is essentially a pcie on a port, so either expresscard or thunderbolt. I'm not sure a similar device exists for usb 3.0, but I'll do some looking into it.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4570-[guide]-2012-13-rmbp-gtx660-sonnet-echo-express-se-@-10gbps.html#post63754 would be something that you may of seen, but that runs off thunderbolt.

Ok did some more digging, and I can't find anyone that makes any sort of usb3.0 -> pcie or usb3.0-> expresscard adapters. Sorry, doesn't look like it will be possible to add an external gpu to that laptop.

Crud. Ok, thanks a lot for all the help, everyone.

• Options
    Foomy wrote: »

I didn't even know something like the setup in the link was possible, I'm impressed. Although considering what you'd have to spend for the enclosure/adapter, a PSU, and the GPU, you are at least halfway to the cost of just buying another computer.

Well, I guess not the cost of buying a Mac...

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

She found out her ex is a pedophile and she was molested by her father for years. She hasn't been out of the house in 8 years. Cut her some fucking slack, ok? Little things that we have no problem doing, she does.

So organize it for her? If she hasn't left the house in years she probably bought it online, right? All the big e-tailers have rather simple and straightforward return policies.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

So organize it for her? If she hasn't left the house in years she probably bought it online, right? All the big e-tailers have rather simple and straightforward return policies.

I was going to say this, too. She can use the box that the laptop came in and she can use Dell's website and/or phone support to set up a return/exchange. Then if she doesn't want to leave the house, you or another friend can pick up the computer and drop it off at a UPS store or Post Office.

There's also a way to get UPS and/or FedEx to pick up the package at her house; but I've never used the service so I don't know details.

----
    If she's a heavy gamer, she needs to educate herself on discrete graphics cards so that she doesn't run into this situation again. Granted, sites like to hide the graphics info sometimes. So at the very least, just have her do a Google search for "[model number] review" and she should likely get a couple of hits; which will spell out whether the given system has a discrete card and how good it is.

As an aside, this is the crap that pisses me off about laptop manufacturers. The desktop side of the house has had things standardized for decades. I don't see why laptop (motherboard) manufacturers can't agree on a standard that allows users to upgrade graphics.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    If I could get her to return the damn thing, I wouldn't have had to make this thread. It's not an option.

This thread can be closed now.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Sorry, man. We were just trying to help out however we could. It's the sad current state of laptops. OP just said non-upgradeable but didn't imply that returning it wasn't an option.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    The other option, of course, is to sell it via eBay, CL, or possibly some forums. Take the hit on the price and pick up a replacement with a proper video card.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    There are external video card enclosures, but they're pretty expensive at this point. I've looked into them for attaching to a MacBook Air for at home gaming.

• Options
    Or just get a Windows laptop for about the same money as setting up the external enclosure instead of wasting your time trying to game with a Macbook Air?

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Or just get a Windows laptop for about the same money as setting up the external enclosure instead of wasting your time trying to game with a Macbook Air?

I said that I "looked into them" and decided it was too expensive. Thanks for reiterating my exact message though. We've gone over this before, save the snark for someone else. I don't appreciate it.

Esh on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I don't see why laptop (motherboard) manufacturers can't agree on a standard that allows users to upgrade graphics.

Having a GPU attached directly to the mobo cuts down on the amount of space that would otherwise be taken up by a socket. There are a few laptop manufacturers that have experimented with upgradable GPUs in laptops (Sager and Alienware off the top of my head), but for the most part it's more hassle than it's worth from a manufacturing standpoint.

In an attempt to salvage this terrible thread why don't you give us a list of some of the genres that she is into? We can then attempt to recommend games that will run on her hardware.

• Options
    Esh wrote: »

I said that I "looked into them" and decided it was too expensive. Thanks for reiterating my exact message though. We've gone over this before, save the snark for someone else. I don't appreciate it.

If it was irrelevant information, why even bring it up? Facts aren't snark, Esh.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    The other option, of course, is to sell it via eBay, CL, or possibly some forums. Take the hit on the price and pick up a replacement with a proper video card.

At this point in the exercise: why is she buying a laptop, if she never leaves the house?

Like, I can understand wanting a laptop to lie in bed or whatever, but you can buy a very capable gaming PC setup for half the price of a laptop with money to spare to buy a Chromebook or whatever for couch surfing.

• Options

At this point in the exercise: why is she buying a laptop, if she never leaves the house?

At this point, it's none of your fucking business.

This discussion has been closed.