As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Christmas gift idea (or appropriateness) for less than 2 month girlfriend?

schattenjaegerschattenjaeger Registered User regular
edited December 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I met a girl early November, and things are progressing pretty positively, but it's still a pretty casual thing. She's coming over Saturday and I am out of town next week for Christmas, so I figured it'd be a good opportunity...IF it's a good idea at all!

Given the nature of things, and I'm not sure if she'll get me anything (wouldn't be surprised but obviously wouldn't bat an eye if she doesn't), I figure something inexpensive and not something that'd make her (or me!) feel awkward if she didn't get something. From what I know of her reading habits, I could easily pick a book or two she'd like. I'm sure that's not too much, but...you think that's enough? She has a long commute by train every day, so maybe something to kill time (well a book would be good for that too). She's got a geeky side (but doesn't like Star Wars or Star Trek, what have I done?!). I'm bad at buying gifts for people I've known over two decades, so this is extra-hard mode for me.

schattenjaeger on

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The Doctor just did a whole article on your dilemma. You should give it a read.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The Doctor just did a whole article on your dilemma. You should give it a read.

I don't think in the history of the internet has a provided link so specifically and precisely answered a person's query! Thanks

So, with that in mind:

You’re going to want to use how often you see each other as a gauge here. If you’re seeing each other once or twice a week, then you want to consider something heartfelt and fun but relatively cheap: no more than $30 on the outside edge, plus dinner. You’re having fun, but it’s not serious yet. Anything more substantial than, say, a book by her favorite author is going to be a bit much.

This is on the nose, and a book is pretty much what I was thinking, so I'm feeling pretty ok about that. Another avenue is that she's a bit of a Dr. Who fan, if anybody has a suggestion of similar magnitude.

schattenjaeger on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Depending on what else she likes to do, they have made TARDIS models for pretty much anything. A short list off the top of my head:
    • Cookie Jar
    • Yahtzee jar
    • Paperweight
    • Keychain/cell phone charm

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I think a book from YOUR favorite author would be cool.

You're still at that stage where you're finding out more and more about one another. It would be a nice gesture.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I think a book from YOUR favorite author would be cool.

You're still at that stage where you're finding out more and more about one another. It would be a nice gesture.

Yes, I think that is a good idea. Given what she likes, I have an idea from an author I like and she isn't familiar with.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    1: Cut a hole in the box.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    1: Cut a hole in the box.

Well we are going to see a movie so I could always do that thing with the popcorn!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Get her an early edition of her favorite book. No need for a first edition, but something that'll look classy on her book shelf and shows you put thought into it.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Take her to The Hobbit 2 and buy her a nice book to match.

A book would be good, and maybe a credit to whatever system (Apple, Android) she uses as well.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Take her to The Hobbit 2 and buy her a nice book to match.

A book would be good, and maybe a credit to whatever system (Apple, Android) she uses as well.

Shipping is almost 30 bucks. Total ripoff.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Eh, I'd go with "Make her something" paired with something simple. It shows you care, but doesn't cost you a lot of money.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    A thoughtfully chosen book is very appropriate.

• Options
    A thoughtfully chosen book is very appropriate.

Definitely. I started dating my now fiancee in early November, and my christmas present was a book on one of her favorite artists and dinner.

• Options
    If you're a starving artist - make him art.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

I'm an actor. Doing a "monologue" for him isn't exactly something he can hang onto :) If I were a starving STUDIO artist, then I absolutely would. Right now I'm learning towards making him something delicious, yet healthy since we're both trying to stop the madness of holiday indulgences! :)

You can plan lots of exciting cheap dates, especially in NYC. Planning a day of low-budget adventure and activities in NYC is more meaningful than dropping cash. It seems he realizes this - he's taking a trip with you rather than buying you things - so he should be especially appreciative.

Ditto goes for OP.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options

I'm an actor. Doing a "monologue" for him isn't exactly something he can hang onto :) If I were a starving STUDIO artist, then I absolutely would. Right now I'm learning towards making him something delicious, yet healthy since we're both trying to stop the madness of holiday indulgences! :)

Yes, but you could probably convince your fellow actor friends to help you out with a date night adventure piece.

• Options
    CybitCybit Merch Underling RedmondRegistered User regular

Yummy home cooked food + date night = victory. Food is the way to any guy's heart.

• Options
    Cybit wrote: »

Yummy home cooked food + date night = victory. Food is the way to any guy's heart.

Seconded!

Few more hours, then I can tell y'all if your advice was sound!

• Options
    I apologize for the all caps

BUT EVERYTHING WENT AS GOOD AS POSSIBLE.

She got me a gift too but wasn't sure if it was appropriate either, so she was relieved.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Did she give you her eyeballs, so you could read books better?

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Did she give you her eyeballs, so you could read books better?

That's some grade-A humor and a solid reference!

This discussion has been closed.