As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stylus for iPad Opinion.

fivehagensfivehagens Registered User regular
Hey Y'all,
I'm looking to get my daughter a stylus for use with her iPad for art. I read through a lot of reviews on the inter-webs' different sites, and thought that I'd turn to a more trustworthy lot: y'all.
I'm looking for a stylus that is easy to use and accurate. I've looked at the Wacom Creativity Stylus and came across the aforementioned mixed reviews also. So, I'm wondering what are the Forum's opinions?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    As far as I know (when I looked into this), your options are:

Each has different strengths for different things. From what I can tell reading the reviews, Jot and Wacom are usually neck and neck, but Wacom meeks out with general "doing artsy stuff and just starting out."

Obviously for $100 I'd get someone from the Artists corner to give advice on this, not some dude who draws in his free time sometimes.

@NightDragon or @Iruka might be more helpful than me, or you might ask AC's chat/questions threads and get a more speedy reply.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll drop a note over there too. My daughter is a chemistry major, but her passion-hobby is drawing.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    What level of skill/interest are we talking here? Wacom makes products that generally work without much tinkering, it may be best. I dont have any hands on experience with any of those pens, sorry.

If shes wanted a mobile tablet as a drawing solution, currently her best options are not on the Ipad, but are between Wacom's own over priced tablets, and the MS Surface Pro 2.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Her skill level is advanced casual. She does manga/anime style and fantasy animal and human drawings. We gifted her a Wacom Intuos 4 a few years ago, attached to an iMac. But, she has an iPad for textbooks and general usage, and I wanted something to pair up with an app, she has the Wacom Bamboo loaded, that she can use for 'light-art' on the go.

fivehagens on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd say go with the wacom. She may appreciate just having something to doodle with, seems to have good enough ratings and isn't overly expensive. Obviously like Iruka said the iPad isn't really the best platform, but if she's using it for school and all that, having it with her tablet on the go may be something she enjoys.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me