Options

Comics News Thread V: All The News Unfit to Print

(This OP shamelessly stolen from the previous thread's OP by forums poster Crimsondude)

This is the thread to talk about news on events in comics and about comics generally. This is the place for news on the business of comic books, such as news on creators deals and sales. In addition it's a place for discussing general announcements, new imprints, new ongoing and comic book minis, etc. It's also the place for news on comics that might not have their own regularly-discussed threads.

A Note on Twitter
Twitter has become an invaluable tool for spreading comics news and commentary instantly, and often first-hand. The comics community (creators, publishers, and journalists/news sites) has thoroughly embraced Twitter, and just about anyone you may want to follow is on it. I'm sure there are plenty of creators on Facebook and/or fan pages for them, but fuck Facebook.

CBR's impressively comprehensive Comics Twitter Directory

Comic Book News Sites

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    BuzzFeed: Shia LaBeouf Allegedly Ripped Off Artist Daniel Clowes For His New Short Film
    Shia LaBeouf posted his new short film HowardCantour.com online on Monday, having first debuted the work at the May 2012 Cannes Film Festival. The piece stars Jim Gaffigan as an online film critic named Howard Cantour, and it is almost a direct adaptation of Justin M. Damiano, a 2007 comic written and drawn by famed artist Daniel Clowes.

Nowhere in the promotion for or credits of the film does LaBeouf mention the Clowes comic; Eric Reynolds, longtime editor of Daniel Clowes’ comics and associate publisher at Fantagraphics, called the film “shameless theft!”

“The first I ever heard of the film was this morning when someone sent me a link. I’ve never spoken to or met Mr. LaBeouf,” Clowes told BuzzFeed. “I’ve never even seen one of his films that I can recall — and I was shocked, to say the least, when I saw that he took the script and even many of the visuals from a very personal story I did six or seven years ago and passed it off as his own work. I actually can’t imagine what was going through his mind.”
    A rep for LaBeouf did not immediately return BuzzFeed’s request for comment, but the film is now password protected.

Both the film and comic (below) begin with narration by the main character, who says, “A critic is a warrior, and each of us on the battlefield have the means to glorify or demolish (whether a film, a career, or an entire philosophy) by influencing perception in ways that if heartfelt and truthful, can have far-reaching repercussions.”

The next scene in both the comic and film feature the critic having a conversation with a young, blonde freelance critic, who asks the critic if he is going to a junket, which she will be attending despite its lack of actors. Then, again in both the film and comic, she says of the filmmaker they’re discussing, “He so perfectly gets how we’re really all like these aliens who can never have any meaningful contact with each other because we’re all so caught up in our own little self-made realities, you know?”

The parallels continue through the end of the film and the pieces share many more direct quotes.
    LaBeouf, a known Clowes fan, has given interviews in which he described developing the script for the film organically.

“I know something about the gulf between critical acclaim and blockbuster business. I have been crushed by critics (especially during my Transformers run), and in trying to come to terms with my feelings about critics, I needed to understand them,” LaBeouf told the website Short of the Week. “As I tried to empathize with the sort of man who might earn a living taking potshots at me and the people I've worked with, a small script developed.”

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Hahaha, what a dick.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    fuck that jerk
    i hope this ruins him forever

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    He apologized, and then it turned out that he'd likely plagiarized his apology.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/12/labeouf-plagiarism-yahoo-answers/

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So has Willingham given any hints about how he's going to end Fables? I'm hoping it involves the Adversary somehow (still using that term in case anyone here hasn't got up to his reveal). I just bought volume 19 yesterday so I can finally see what happened to Bufkin.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I didn't even know this happened, but if Waid knows the guy's a jerk like this (and it goes beyond not liking his writing or whatever disagreements they had in the 90's), I would have thought he would say something.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I didn't even know this happened, but if Waid knows the guy's a jerk like this (and it goes beyond not liking his writing or whatever disagreements they had in the 90's), I would have thought he would say something.

Keeping your mouth shut about assholes is how professionals stay in the industry rather then be branded "trouble makers" and this practice isn't limited to comic books. It's a reason why guys like Brian Wood's activities are kept secret from the public.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I understand going along to a point, but with Waid at this stage in his career, when he's already shown a penchant for going off on things from fans to Superman/nuDC and Bleeding Cool (all admittedly rather low hanging fruit in the comics world), he could actually make a strong point by bringing this to people's attention if it's a known repeat behavior. That's what kind of undercuts that second tweet.

• Options
    It may be that Waid has spread the word among his colleagues, especially women, but simply had no reason to call him out in public before now. After all, Lobdell probably never sexually harassed him, and historically women in the industry have chosen not to publicly call out their harassers.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I am not surprised the man responsible for writing a good chunk of the DCU is not only a homophobic misogynist, but is a fucking dullard of such magnitude that he could not tell that the woman inches away from him who he was harassing was literally afraid of him and recoiled at his touch during the post-panel photos.

Fuck Scott Lobdell. Fuck his apology.

Goddamnit. This is why I fucking hate comics and comics people.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

There's a difference between knowing/thinking someone's a jerk, and having specific knowledge of harassment - If Waid had started shit-talking Lobdell before someone came forward or before Lobdell confessed, he'd have seemed the jerk.

Also that was a bullshit apology. "Sorry my jokes weren't funny" is not "sorry I made racist/misogynist/homophobic statements and tried to pass them off as 'jokes'."

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    @Crimsondude while I totally get where you're coming from, I feel your sweeping generalization is somewhat unfair to the people in the industry trying to make things better. Stuff like this just makes me want to buy DeConnick/Fraction/Gillen/Ewing/Wilson's stuff all the more. If anyone else knows of additional names that belong on that list, I'd be happy to see it grow as far as my budget will allow.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Deleted.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    What did Lobdell do?

• Options
    That article massively understates how bad it was, but the article it links to makes it clear the sort of person Lobdell is, and how incredibly insufficient his apology was: http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/marinaomi-harassed-comics-panel

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Ok wow, what a shitbag.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    @Crimsondude while I totally get where you're coming from, I feel your sweeping generalization is somewhat unfair to the people in the industry trying to make things better. Stuff like this just makes me want to buy DeConnick/Fraction/Gillen/Ewing/Wilson's stuff all the more. If anyone else knows of additional names that belong on that list, I'd be happy to see it grow as far as my budget will allow.

I spend more time reacting to this bullshit than I do actually reading and enjoying comics. I haven’t read a full comic since CM #17, and before that … I couldn’t even tell you. I don’t make time, but yet I’ve been trying to appreciate them and what’s going on through the community. But that has given me nothing but fucking grief and nausea. I’m fucking sick of this shit.

• Options
    Getting mad at people like Lobdell doesn't accomplish much beyond ruining your own day though. Criticize the bad and add your voice to the growing consensus that this is unacceptable, but dwelling on it beyond that is hurting you more than it hurts the disgraceful parts of the industry.

Tearing down the bad is only half the equation. Looking for and supporting creators making good art and trying to influence the industry in positive ways is a much more effective way to promote change. Also you'll probably feel better.

One thing to keep in mind is that this shit has been going on for years. That we're talking about it more, and seeing stories about it happening is a good thing - it's a sign that shit is actually changing for the better. It means more people are aware of the problem, and stuff that would have been ignored completely 5-10 years ago is being called out and criticized. It's slow, painful progress at times, but it's moving in the right direction.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    This isn't about comics, but Jaime Hernandez made it, and I always think about it, when there's bad behavior/attitudes going around the world of comics.

ziWSOXz.jpg

"If this scene sucks, it's because you suck. This scene is your responsibility. Nothing worthwhile is free."

It's fine to tear down the dicks that are messing up your scene. But, everyone from fans to creators, need to have some degree of responsibility for the community. Whether that's as simple as buying and supporting the books you love, spreading the word about the stuff you like, or making your own comics.

• Options
    Fuck you. I've done my part.

I just can't any more.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Be cool, guys

we are all friends here

When it comes down to it, we all want comics and the comic book industry to be as widely accepting of different peoples as they can be

Much as it is our responsibility as fans, we can only do so much

But our discussion of this as a subject is doing something, it's keeping the discourse and awareness alive

It's easy to get worked up over stuff like this, believe me I know, but let's keep some perspective, by and large GV posters are on the same team

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm using all levels of pedantry for this, but it contains the word new, so close enough!

Happy New years Comic Forum!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    http://starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-and-marvel-join-forces-to-publish-star-wars-comics-and-graphic-novels.html

Welp i guess it was just a matter of time. Still, I am sad. Dark Horse did great things with the license

• Options
    I wonder, since Brian Wood is already writing for Marvel, if there's any chance he'll get to continue his Star Wars series

on the other hand, I would definitely buy a Star Wars/Guardians of the Galaxy crossover mini

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    He's not, he confirmed on Twitter that his current series will be ending with #20.

• Options
    Bloods End wrote: »
    http://starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-and-marvel-join-forces-to-publish-star-wars-comics-and-graphic-novels.html

Welp i guess it was just a matter of time. Still, I am sad. Dark Horse did great things with the license

yeah, given Disney owns them both this was inevitable.

• Options
    Let’s be real here, folks: If you announce a comic where five teenage girls fight yetis, you already have my attention. If you add that it’s a comic created by Boom! Senior Editor Shannon Watters and Grace Ellis, written by Noelle Stevenson and Ellis, and drawn by Brooke Allen, continuing Boom!’s seeming strategy of moving creators who have had success on Adventure Time, Regular Show and Bravest Warriors over to their own creator-driven projects, well, that’s when the interest turns into genuine excitement. That’s the announcement they dropped on us today with Lumberjanes, a new, full-color series described as “Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Gravity Falls.”

hmmm

yes

yes please

• Options
    edited January 2014

.@mattfraction says he and Fabio Moon are writing Casanova issues, and Michael Chabon will be doing back-up stories. #imageEXPO

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    holy crap, Chabon??

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I think Fraction mentioned that when he was talking about doing more Casanova last year, but it's still awesome.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Dear Matt, I am BEYOND excited and eager for ODY-C, but I'm concerned that a strict genderswapping may inadvertently contribute to the erasure of people who do not identify with the gender binary by implying gender is a one-or-the-other type of thing. Is there any chance of us seeing nonbinary individuals in ODY-C?
    hey, that is a really great note. i suppose i should say it’s not exactly a strict swapping, but the idea of voiding the binary entirely honestly hadn’t occurred to me (the proper writing hasn’t started so, y’know, fucking nothing has really occurred to me yet). that said, thank you for occurring this at me? to me? thanks. yes. there will be. and that’s because of you. i’d like to believe i’d have considered it once the typing started but i’d also like to believe that i am and have always been a sophisticated, evolved, and empathetic person with understanding and consideration for all people everywhere.

This, alas, is not the case, and everything is a process of growing. Right? Right.

so thank you. yes.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Shia LaBeouf retires from showbiz, no-one cares.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=92713
    It's safe to say Shia LaBeouf has had a pretty bad month. The Transformers actor stole huge chunks of material from a Daniel Clowes comic for his short film ‘Howard Cantour’ - and although he initially seemed to hold his hands up and just admit that he [frick]ed up, what transpired afterwards was a bizarre serious of plagiarized apologies culminating in some damn skywriting of all things. So, we come to this:

In light of the recent attacks against my artistic integrity, I am retiring from all public life.

— Shia LaBeouf (@thecampaignbook) January 10, 2014

He also added “My love goes out to those who have supported me” and the hashtag #stopcreating. I'm not even going to bother taking the piss out of that, Shia is giving it away after all. It's still not clear if he was attempting to spin all of this as some kind of performance art or even an elaborate joke, but either way things definitely seem to have gotten out of hand for the troubled fellow. To be fair, LaBeouf is a pretty good actor when he wants to be (see Lawless) so it would be a shame if this was the end of his career. Thoughts?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    About time we got some good news in this thread!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    My absolute favorite part out of this is one critic attributed "I am now retiring from public life" to Armond White, who didn't get the joke. I think the fact he was expelled from the NYCC makes it even funnier.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    http://www.fastcompany.com/3025621/ka-pow-marvel-opens-massive-comic-book-images-archive-and-api-to-fans-developers
    What's the sound of 8,000 beloved comic book characters storming the globe?
    We're about to find out.

Marvel Comics is unveiling its programming interface (API) and developer platform in a beta version tomorrow morning, swinging wide the gates to the Marvel universe of comic heroes to fans and developers around the world. The API--which will include comic book artwork, character histories, creator insights, and expanded stories--will grant members access to an expansive database of Marvel's library of 75 years of comics, including over 30,000 comics, 7,000 series, and 5,000 creators. This move gives developers the tools to create their own Marvel-based apps and digital offerings.

3025621-inline-s-5-ka-pow-marvel-opens-massive-comic-book-images-archive-and-api-to-fans-developers.jpg

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    http://www.fastcompany.com/3025621/ka-pow-marvel-opens-massive-comic-book-images-archive-and-api-to-fans-developers
    What's the sound of 8,000 beloved comic book characters storming the globe?
    We're about to find out.

Marvel Comics is unveiling its programming interface (API) and developer platform in a beta version tomorrow morning, swinging wide the gates to the Marvel universe of comic heroes to fans and developers around the world. The API--which will include comic book artwork, character histories, creator insights, and expanded stories--will grant members access to an expansive database of Marvel's library of 75 years of comics, including over 30,000 comics, 7,000 series, and 5,000 creators. This move gives developers the tools to create their own Marvel-based apps and digital offerings.

3025621-inline-s-5-ka-pow-marvel-opens-massive-comic-book-images-archive-and-api-to-fans-developers.jpg

I love seeing any company doing this, but Marvel especially. It's really cool to see those assets be made available and just shows an open mindedness that's refreshing.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/comics-16/transformers-windblade-1-preview-179485/
    windblade preview, dark cybertron spoilers
    it is pretty as hell and the writing is charming, preorder it if you like what you see here
    it could go from miniseries to ongoing if it sells well enough

also today is the last day for 99 cent marvel unlimited for a month, use the promo code SXSW99