As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]omancer

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    I am kinda sad two people won the $636 million mega millions jackpot last night. I wanted to see it reach a billion dollars. Hope the winners don't have their lives ruined.

Rule#1 get a fucking financial adviser and LISTEN TO THEM

my first thought was "if you have 600 mil what on earth do you need a financial advisor for? Do you need to make more money?"

but i suppose with that amount of cash it' be useful to take advice on where to divide it up just for storage

i wouldnt want that sum sitting in one bank account

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I am kinda sad two people won the $636 million mega millions jackpot last night. I wanted to see it reach a billion dollars. Hope the winners don't have their lives ruined.

I wouldn't even know what to spend one million on.

Maybe some socks. I need new socks.

typically its shit like

a)drugs
    b)tons of all expense paid vacations for you and friends
    c)tons of cars that are all pimped out
    d)large houses

those kill lottery winnings fast especially property taxes that people dont figure out when buying a house

• Options
    Casual wrote: »

my first thought was "if you have 600 mil what on earth do you need a financial advisor for? Do you need to make more money?"

but i suppose with that amount of cash it' be useful to take advice on where to divide it up just for storage

Well it's $636 million divided by two winners.

Also it's not just handling the money think of every single person they've ever known suddenly coming at them for a piece. Scammers and bad people and bad family all setting their eyes on them. It's a big bunch of stress and dram and tragedy and while it is a dilemma lots of people want to be in it isn't one many are prepared for.

Frankly I wouldn't even know what to do outside disappearing forever.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I think I'll bake some of these. Saffron cake with raisins.

original.jpg

• Options

that and getting things set up like trust funds for you kids security and stuff like that, people forget that.

When you win that much you can invest it correctly and just live off the interest and your family will be set for generations I bet.

• Options

you could spend one million pretty easily

nice house, nice car, bam there’s a million dollars spent

600 mil though? that's take the piss money for an individual, you couldn’t meaningfully* spend that much money

*you could get rid of it if you lived like a saudi prince but thats just golden toilets, pouring $2000 champagne on the floor type tomfoolery

• Options
    Except without raisins because I can't stand raisins in stuff. I like them fine on their own though.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Hello [chat]. I'm trying to poast for at least 5 minutes now!

• Options

600 mil though? that's take the piss money for an individual, you couldn’t meaningfully* spend that much money

*you could get rid of it if you lived like a saudi prince but thats just golden toilets, pouring $2000 champagne on the floor type tomfoolery

in the US its going to end up like 150m after you split it 2 ways and all the bullshit tax you pay on lottery winnings in the US.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Except without raisins because I can't stand raisins in stuff. I like them fine on their own though.

Raisins are fine in cakes! Desirable, even!

But my school used to put em in curry. That's messed up.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    No wait I know what I'd do.

All the bitcoins!

• Options

Yeah, I'd have to work to spend 600 million dollars.

Socks joke aside: I'd pay off my debts, buy a decent apartment, I'd spend a month splurging on computer hardware... and then what? I'd help my immediate family with their debts too, I suppose.

I could live comfortably off of just the interest alone. I'd definitely talk to financial advisors.

• Options
    i'd be pretty hard to scam if i won that much money

for the simple reason i wouldnt be interested in making more

whats that you have a great investment oppertunity for me? sorry not interested

i'd buy a nice house, do the same for my immediate family, stick the rest in bank accounts and live off the interest

then i'd spend the rest of my life being fat and happy

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    My familial unit and circle of friends is small enough that if someone came asking me for money, I'd have no qualms in telling them exactly what I thought about them.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

Yeah, I'd have to work to spend 600 million dollars.

Socks joke aside: I'd pay off my debts, buy a decent apartment, I'd spend a month splurging on computer hardware... and then what? I'd help my immediate family with their debts too, I suppose.

I could live comfortably off of just the interest alone. I'd definitely talk to financial advisors.

poof, there goes 600 million dollars

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    but yeah if I won I would request to not have my identity revealed, I dont trust my family especially my parents.

• Options
    or I'd go all Don Corleone on it

intimidating room

body guards

make sure people could only ask me on certain days

• Options
    Ho
    Lee
    Fuck

M6k62Ts.jpg

• Options

i'd buy a nice house, do the same for my immediate family, stick the rest in bank accounts and live off the interest

Yeah, I'm just not interested in a life of what media, culture and society tells me is "luxure". I'd by an apartment I'd consider great, but it would still be pretty modest, all things considered. Why buy something bigger just because I can? Do I look like an American?

• Options

you say this now

• Options
    Also kind of funny that I keep writing "apartment". The housing situation in Stockholm is pretty crappy - if I wanted a nice house I'd have to move pretty far away from central Stockholm.

• Options
    i trust my immediate family

my parents and my sister wouldn't backstab me over money

and i'd gladly share it with them and they'd do the same for me

none of them are the poisionious kind of family memeber that racks up debt and makes terrible decisions with money, really they'd just pay off their mortgages with it

• Options
    as far as person fun shit I would buy a few pinball machines and some arcade machines I have always liked.

Also I would pay someone quite well to assemble and prime all my Warmachine shit

oh and a ballin PC from Falcon Northwest

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Casual will be assimilated when the revolution comes.

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    poof, there goes 600 million dollars

600 million dollars is almost four billion Swedebucks.

Wikipedia lists 16 Swedish billionaires.

• Options
    I'd buy a yacht. Why? Because i think it's a funny word.

• Options

Yeah, I'm just not interested in a life of what media, culture and society tells me is "luxure". I'd by an apartment I'd consider great, but it would still be pretty modest, all things considered. Why buy something bigger just because I can? Do I look like an American?

same, im not sure what kind of house i'd get

probably something normal ish but just amazingly well decked out on the inside

• Options
    I would build a custom house just because I know I would set up my fiancee with the best studio space, all custom.

also skylights everywhere

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I would buy as many wives as the law allows

• Options
    Tav wrote: »

you say this now

no im pretty confident i know myself

160 million is more money than i can spend in a life time, im just not the sort of person who is amused by trinkets and things i can't even spend the money i have now

i'd just like to be comfortable, well fed, maybe go out and see some more of the world

i don't fancy the playboy lifestyle, i simply dont have that kind of personality

• Options
    The way I see it, you can't really plan ahead how you and/or your friends/family will react when the big money pours in.
    I've read way too many stories about normal folk going bonkers when it happened.

• Options
    What media portrays as "luxury" doesn't interest me in the slightest.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Wouldn't 600 mil buy you enough army to take over a few diamond mines and/or a small African country? Now there's an investment opportunity.

For real though, I like to think I'd spend most of that kind of money setting myself up to never have to work again. Pay off my small debt, help my parents pay off their mortgage which I don't think is that big, and then invest most of the money in something really stable and boring and live off that.

• Options
    That amount of money is so ridiculously life changing that I don't think anyone can accurately predict what they would do with it and what sort of effect it would have on their life.

My only prediction re:people asking for money is that I'm sure that amount of money wouldn't make me more empathetic.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I feel like people who talk about what they would do with 160 million dollars is in the same territory as people who talk about what they would do if a dude with a gun walked into their classroom/school/whatever - it is very easy to come up with grand plans and claims to cool-headedness etc etc

but the reality of that situation actually happening is a very different beast indeed

• Options
    i have a condition where i only want things i cant afford

with 160 million i can afford pretty much anything an individual can ever expect to buy

like right now i have enough disposable cash to buy any PC bits games, airsoft stuff blah blah that i want, so i dont want any of it

i only want things i cant currently have like a nice flat or a new car

• Options
    Humans in general are, to put it slightly, not the best at predicting their own emotional states, so...

• Options
    I want 3 80inch 4K tvs and go tits out in surround gaming

like just do something totally absurd well or some stupidly high resolution Occulus Rift at least 1440p

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    That amount of money is so ridiculously life changing that I don't think anyone can accurately predict what they would do with it and what sort of effect it would have on their life.

My only prediction re:people asking for money is that I'm sure that amount of money wouldn't make me more empathetic.

if i had 160 mil and one of my friends asked me for 50k "i'd be like sure whatever here you go"

cause it'd be like giving them a fiver would be to me right now, it'd be meaningless pocket change

This discussion has been closed.