As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go round Mum's, get Liz back, sort life out: New Year's Resomolutions

Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
edited December 2013 in Social Entropy++
So, the New Year of the Gregorian calendar is rapidly approaching and typically humans will make foolish plans to change or improve things about themselves or their position in life - AS IF THEY HAVE CONTROL OVER SUCH FORCES

I typically have not stuck to mine in the past, which makes this year's a bit of a tall order. I need to get in shape - physically and mentally! My weight has never been a problem, but my stamina and endurance and all that jazz are way below what they have been. I basically don't do any cardio. I've found some circuit training routines that look like they could help with that. I also just need to plan old run some more, which I hate doing. As for my mind, I'm pretty sure I used to know a lot more shit. I had a solid grounding in math and most physical sciences, but those went away when I became a social science major. So I'm going to find some resources to help me build up a solid knowledge base on as many useful subjects as I can get my hands on. Recommendations welcome.

To do these things, I need time. I think the ideal situation would be if I could hole up in a remote cabin and do nothing but train and read for a few months, but I need to keep a paying job, so that's out. As it is, I'm basically done with video games at this juncture, which frees up a lot of time right off the bat. On top of that, though, I probably need to spend less time on the forums - nothing against any of you, but I spend a lot of hours just dicking around and refreshing this page, so that'll have to go. So you're gonna see a lot less of me sometime after the 1st.

What about you, SE++? What are your goals and aspirations for this solar sweep?

Grey Ghost on

• Options
    Or as @UnbreakableVow has suggested I can always TAKE TO THE SEA to get shit done

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    My resolution is to figure out my relationship, and by extension, pretty much the rest of my life.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    not get fired

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    framed326sotd.jpg

• Options
    @crwth what do you do for your livin's

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i am a juvenile probation officer

uh

in training

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    my new year's resolution is to get the fuck out of my parent's house and go back home

christ i am going insane here

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I would like to get a job I am excited about and maybe move abroad, and generally make use of my fancy expensive degrees

I would like practice yoga every day rather than twice a week.

also solidify my position as favorite aunt.

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    1. Hike more
    2. Go to the dentist a couple times, Jesus
    3. Get tits
    4. Get paid

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Come June I'd like to jump into a new career pathway.

I like helping kids out but the pay is awful and there is almost no dirt unless I want to become a teacher...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    1). Network with cool dudes who wanna make games (going to GDC and the global game jam are my first steps!)

2). Make games with cool dudes

2b). Make those cool games

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    that's a great plan, machwing! global game jam especially - they're great places to find people to work with that can recommend you later if necessary. don't be afraid to be bold and ask people if you can join them. nerds are hella shy.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Not dying would be a start, I think

I had to get a physical done recently for insurance at work, and my cholesterol is insanely high

Like the doctor actually had a look of shock on her face when she saw the number

But I eat a ton of carbs - I was to the point where I was literally having some form of pizza every day - and get practically no exercise, so that sort of shit was to be expected

It's been about a month since my visit, and since then I've only had pizza three times (which is like about thirty times less than I would have!) and have just been trying to generally cut back on all my portions, though a lot of my diet still has a lot of carb intake

I would also like to get into the habit of jogging every day

I have New Year's Day off - perfect time to start a New Year's resolution, I suppose

• Options
    A pizza

every day

• Options
    Not an entire pizza

Well okay yes, usually entire pizzas

But varying sizes of entire pizzas

But between Domino's, Hungry Howie's, local pizzerias, Tombstones, Bagel Bites, pizza rolls...yo I was eating a lot of fucking pizza

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    1) Lose my thesis weight (which has been around so long that it is no longer thesis weight, just I'm a lard-arse weight)

2) Kick ass at this conference in Vienna and basically become a boss in my field

3) Don't cock up my new job

4) Fulfill 3) to the extent that they make me full time

5) See Hullis as often as possible

6) Bully him into proposing

7) Get my thesis published in an academic journal by actually finishing editing it after months of arsing around

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    1. Find new job (laid off today)
    2. Save money
    3. Move out of my dad's
    4. Visit friends in Portland

Optional:
    5. Exercise more

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    OF COURSE

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    I could go for some pizza. There's my resolution: Pizza.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I could go for some pizza.

Me too!

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    1) catch the neighborhood burglars
    2) reunite the team
    3) unexplored path off 17th street?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    I seem to have left Fraps running when I stopped playing Batman, and apparently I only get 5fps in the forums. Time to upgrade!

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    1. Drink more amazing scotch.
    2. Learn how to actually make a Long Island Iced Tea and drink more of those.
    3. Decide whether or not I'm going to stick with my amazing girlfriend and propose to her or just bail messily and ruin everything.
    4. Get promoted at work
    5. Find a better line of work to work at.
    6. Start working out(jesus christ I feel unfit too often these days)
    7. Cut my hair more frequently.
    8. Get better fashion.

• Options
    @Rainfall why would you bail

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    In no particular order

-Not fuck up my classes any more than I already have
    -Avoid killing myself
    -Find a job? (Yeah right)
    -Get into some sort of relationship (is always on the list but let's be honest here it's never gonna happen)

Nothing else comes to mind.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I am resolved to get my shit together and get a gat dang job

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Eeeeeh.

I'll do something. Maybe.

Get off my gosh darn back.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Gonna make the same resolution I make every year: go back to school.

This year I mean it!

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    1. Narrow down what I want to do for a living.

2. Do that thing for a living.

3. Work on dancing more.

4. Get back to learning languages.

5. Get back to learning to draw.

6. Exercise so that my body will stop feeling like shit after physical activity, especially after the sedentary lifestyle I've been leading for the past two years.

7. Same as 6, but to the point where I can take my shirt off during the summertime.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Rainfall why would you bail

No really deep reason, but she's already been hassling me for a proposal(on and off, but we've been together less than a year) and the idea of marriage is moderately intimidating so it's one or the other and I've got to settle on a choice probably before the end of next year.

• Options
    You marry that girl

Marry her but good

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
  • Options
    That happens when you marry her but good!

It's a package deal

• Options
    edited December 2013
    That happens when you marry her but good!

It's a package deal

No, no, she gets the package deal.
    :winky:

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Get a job.

Help people out more.

Be less shit.

Try to look better.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    that's a great plan, machwing! global game jam especially - they're great places to find people to work with that can recommend you later if necessary. don't be afraid to be bold and ask people if you can join them. nerds are hella shy.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to being forward with nerd-os at GGJ. Nice thing is, teams are going to be randomly formed at the SF site, so I'm bound to meet people! I'm more concerned with figuring out who the hell I should be talking to at GDC, really.

Addendum to resolution: nail down exactly what I want to do with games. I'm at school for the art pipeline, but I'm passable at best at modelling and texturing. I love animation (and think I'm really good at it!!!), but I'm starting to like that less and like coding more. Unfortunately, we don't touch coding at school at all outside of writing shaders (and even then, mostly node-based stuff in UDK rather than, say, writing Cg in Unity) so I've had to program at the expense of, rather than to the benefit of, my schoolwork. I'd made half a game between November and a week ago, but a hard drive crash ate it (and all of this term's school work) and now I'm scrambling to get motivated again and have something cool to show by GDC.

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i just wanna volunteer somewhere. it sucks to feel like a chump all the time.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    1) Write an awesome thesis
    2) Get into grad school
    3) Find a way to pay for grad school
    4) Drop 15 pounds (pretty much kicked sweet drinks, so this shouldn't be too hard)

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Plan for the next year: find full time employment, actually finish the three or four half written articles I have lying about, related to which try and find some kind of academic writing group or something to help with motivation, kick ass at teaching in the next semester, write book proposal and first chapter, be a better aunt.

• Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    So, the New Year of the Gregorian calendar is rapidly approaching and typically humans will make foolish plans to change or improve things about themselves or their position in life - AS IF THEY HAVE CONTROL OVER SUCH FORCES

On my birthday, the real new years, april first I plan to use the same joke/prank over and over again on as many friends as possible.

It will be at my birthday party which you are all invited to attend. I will offer all kinds of incentives to attend. Presents for you, a very special girl I'd like my family to meet, free drinks, etc. Show up at six PM and plan on staying late.

(also, I will not be there)

APRIL FOOLS!