As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finding Housing in Boulder, CO

TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
A friend is trying to move from Cincinnati to Boulder and is having a hell of a time finding an apartment. It's him, his female friend, and her dog. Craigslist seems to have some leads from time to time but they're always pounced on by a dozen people within an hour.

Anyone know of any good websites or services for finding a non-scammy listing?

Thanks!

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    yeah that's going to be tough

semester is just starting at CU so nobody is moving out, a few people are last-minute moving in. even searching a few months in advance it was slim pickings, and that was for just one dude. finding something that can accommodate two people + dog will be really hard

a few years ago the Boulder rental market notched effectively a 0% vacancy rate in a study done by the Boulder Daily Camera

with that said

http://www.housinghelpers.com/

is the only service I've heard anyone in Boulder use to decent effect

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Also, if a commute isn't out of the question, surrounding area isn't a bad choice. Look for Longmont, Loveland, and plenty of other smaller cities there.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    You can try http://www.padmapper.com which is a kind of rental unit aggregation website that takes Craigslist (and others?) data and overlays it on top of google maps so you can see locations, prices, etc. No guarantee that the listings are legit, but nice to have a graphical type interface.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Also, if a commute isn't out of the question, surrounding area isn't a bad choice. Look for Longmont, Loveland, and plenty of other smaller cities there.

Yes, they are looking at both of those places as well as another town whose name I can't recall.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I used to work in a crappy industrial park just NE of Boulder called Gunbarrel. I suppose it's possible they don't have vacancies there either, but such a thing would defy all logic and reason. Offered only as a last resort.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Expand your search to Broomfield, wheat ridge Arvada and Thornton. The commute isn't bad as long as you don't go through Denver and stay away from I25.

I happen to like Wheat Ridge personally.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Expand your search to Broomfield, wheat ridge Arvada and Thornton. The commute isn't bad as long as you don't go through Denver and stay away from I25.

I happen to like Wheat Ridge personally.

the commute on US 36 into Boulder is murderous. especially right now with all the construction.

it's doable, but I wouldn't recommend it

there are a lot of people who have tried to avoid paying Boulder rents by commuting in from Broomfield, Longmont, Lafayette, etc. hence 36, the Diagonal, 93, and other routes into Boulder are clogged as shit during rush hour

it may be worth it for the drop in rent, but they'll be spending a lot of time in their cars if they're going into Boulder proper during regular working hours

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    seconding housing helpers
    also, while I wouldn't necessarily recommend timber ridge apartments, they were the main apartments I found near the CU campus that would actually accept dogs. full of uncaring management, very loud college students and expensive for what you got. but sometimes needs must.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing