As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dentists: Your teeth's natural enemy.

1235»

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Today is dentist appointment day! The trick is to schedule appointments late in the afternoon, around 3, that way you can just not come back to work afterward.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    My dentist is great. When I first went to her she was all "whoa, your teeth are the shit dawg" and I was like "thanks" and she was all like "for real this shit is tight" then later she was all "we normally suggest checkups every six months but dang, your grill is so gangsta we can call it a year" and I was like "that's very nice of you to say"

Yeah, but aren't you British? ;)

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Tube is a citizen of all nations, he is a treasure shared by the world.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    will a dentist work on those teeth that turn up in some tumors

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    My wife had a visit to the dentist so horrifying that she needs either a shot or pills in order to not have an anxiety attack. I have relayed the story elsewhere on the forums but she said it hurt worse then child birth. Personally I lucked out on the genetic lottery in virtually every way imaginable including my teeth. I do have a gap in my front top two and an over bite but those are small prices to pay for no cavities. Even though my wisdom teeth came in sideways it took the dentist less then twenty minutes to pull then and I never needed anything stronger then genetic NSAIDs for the pain. But I have witnessed first hand the horrors of dentistry and I feel for those of you suffering.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »

So... I looked up "teeth in tumors" on GIS...

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Well guess who has two thumbs, has/had shitty oral hygene, a major sugar addiction and thus has a ginormous hole/quarter of the tooth missing/crumbling on the v back top molar on her right side.

This gal!

Also me about 6 months ago.

But hopefully the $400+ bill I paid today should be the last major cost for my mistakes.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular

seems like a bad idea imo

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Oh look an e-mail from the dentist reminding me that I have an appointment next month.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    my teeth now have hooks attached to them

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I wish you still got stickers at dentists that say stuff like you did great. I could probably pass for a small child but I don't think that'd be right somehow.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    my teeth now have hooks attached to them

cenobite.jpg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

seems like a bad idea imo

Somewhat related story. Disclaimer: possibly gross

When my uncle was a kid he had a tail. A bunch of long hair growing out of his lower back. When he got to like 8 or 9 this lump started growing and when doctors investigated they discovered he had a twin which he had, like, absorbed while in the womb. They removed this growth and inside were traces of fingernails and teeth.

Isn't nature beautiful?

• Options
    I'm pretty sure that was an episode of X-Files.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    It does happen, though.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Well guess who has two thumbs, has/had shitty oral hygene, a major sugar addiction and thus has a ginormous hole/quarter of the tooth missing/crumbling on the v back top molar on her right side.

This gal!

I have something very similar to that, except it's my second molar from the front. Doesn't hurt and the gum looks alright though.

The real problem for me is that my enamel is shit and I have calcified plaque in a lot of places. Nothing I do, have done, or am capable of doing can get it off. I'm also missing some adult teeth because they just never grew in, so I have baby teeth in those spots. Haven't been to a dentist for eight or nine years now, reeeally not looking forward to it.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I don't think teratomas are siblings you absorb; they're just stem cells that got lazy and decided to settle down right where they are and grow exciting stuff like hair and bones and lungs

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I haven't been to the dentist in years, I really should go for a check-up. I still have two baby teeth, my wisdom teeth never showed up and I have a bit of an underbite that my mother and grandmother also had (although theirs was worse).

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I have a hairline crack along one of my front teeth from an accident when I was a kid.

Every time I go to the dentist I am afraid they're finally gonna break that chunk of tooth off with their poking and prodding and scraping.

• Options
    Stranger DangerStranger Danger Registered User regular
    I was going to get braces when I was younger but my mother and dentists were concerned that my wisdom teeth were gonna come in and wreck the joint. So we decided against it.

~10 years later I mention this to a different dentist and he tells me that I don't even HAVE wisdom teeth. So now I gotta pay for and be humiliated by adult braces at some point in the future.

tl;dr THANKS OBAMA

(i'm canadian)

• Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    I present to you my very first post in SE++
    So, when I was about 8 or so, i had to have a cavity filled, I was terrified. I sat in the chair and wouldnt open my mouth or anything. What does my mom do to console her upset child?

She drags me out of the chair, down the hall and into the bathroom, then proceeds to beat the shit out of me, telling me to stop complaining and just get it over with. Needless to say I had the cavity filled. However, I didnt go back to a dentist for 13 years after that.

Last year, my wisdom teeth started hurting, so I sucked it up and went down to the ol' dentist...

He took one look at my chart and said, "Hey! I remember you. You're that kid that got pummeled in my bathroom. I still tell all the bad kids about you, it usually works!"
    (To the nurses) "This is that kid that I was telling you about that got drug into the bathroom by his mom!"

Laughter and merriment all around....

Asshole dentist

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    God damn sneezing when you can't open your jaws is awkward, unnerving and slightly painful in the aftermath

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    whoo I got a free filling to go with my crown today because he had forgotten about that one last cavity until he was back working on that side of my mouth again and he didn't want to surprise me with the cost but wanted to take care of it right then.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    Oh look an e-mail from the dentist reminding me that I have an appointment next month.

Mine actually still mails a postcard reminder. I'm due Feb. 11th.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I totally want to be a dentist. I'm about two years out from having all the requirements for dental school.

• Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    If you have any kind of dental phobia, don't watch Outrage. It's a good movie, but there's a scene that would suck so bad if you had trouble at a dentist.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    No, because you see, fluoride in the drinking water is how the government is trying to control your mind, man.

Don't you know Hitler did the same thing? Wake up sheeple!

I may be a government stooge but my mouth is healthy.

My state's biggest newspaper--The Arizona Republic--ran a small article a year or two ago where they interviewed two medical professionals who had opposing views on whether fluoride in drinking water was healthy.

The dude who was pro-fluoride worked for the Arizona Department of Health Services. The doctor they had representing the anti-fluoride movement was an osteopath named Deborah Dykema--hey, wait a minute. I recognized that name. That...that was the doctor my mom used to take me to when I was in high school.

I was suddenly very relieved I had moved on to a different doctor.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Who's got the healthiest mouth in all the land? This guy.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I watched dr strangelove for the first time with my dad last week, and was real sad to find that while he obviously agreed that the villain's anti-fluoride sentiment was being taken to an insane paranoid extreme, but that he agreed that he doesn't want the government putting "chemicals in his drinking water."

• Options
    I watched dr strangelove for the first time with my dad last week, and was real sad to find that while he obviously agreed that the villain's anti-fluoride sentiment was being taken to an insane paranoid extreme, but that he agreed that he doesn't want the government putting "chemicals in his drinking water."

Does he have a well?

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    God damn sneezing when you can't open your jaws is awkward, unnerving and slightly painful in the aftermath

yeah I've had to sneeze when I also had to keep quiet
    that backlash against your throat is real hurty

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Dihydrogen monoxide is the most dangerous chemical that they put into water

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Dihydrogen monoxide is the most dangerous chemical that they put into water
    not nearly as bad as hydrogen hydroxide

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hi every tooth in my mouth hole has at least one nasty cavity.

I have a canine that is all janky and pushed too far forward and down by the teeth behind it and now the front fell off it a few months ago.

They want to drill it but I'm about ready to tell them to give up on saving these shits I'm not about to put up with spending tens of thousands to fix my already ruined teeth, I'd much rather just do damage control until I get dentures.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Hi every tooth in my mouth hole has at least one nasty cavity.

I have a canine that is all janky and pushed too far forward and down by the teeth behind it and now the front fell off it a few months ago.

They want to drill it but I'm about ready to tell them to give up on saving these shits I'm not about to put up with spending tens of thousands to fix my already ruined teeth, I'd much rather just do damage control until I get dentures.

Dentures? There is another option.

They pull your tooth, screw and cement a knurled titanium stud into your jawbone, then cement a full crown on the stud.

Voila! Perfect teeth that will last forever!

Just get that done for every tooth in your mouth, shouldn't cost more than about $64,000.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Naw, thanks.

Teeth are fucking stupid anyway. Even when I was little all they ever did was hurt and then when the dentists saw me cry they physically pushed me and called me and my family stupid. If I could only count the number of dentists I've had to stop going to.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    God I really need to go see the dentist and then I need to see my orthodontist about getting the braces put back on. They had me get my wisdom teeth removed before they'd do anything else and once I did I never called them back.

Psykoma, I'd suggest getting the permanant retainer and keeping it forever. I did the removable one for a year then stopped wearing it and my teeth are now just as fucked as they were before I ever got braces. 5 years of wearing braces right down the drain. Yes, I could have gone back and had them fix it before they got this bad but I didn't so here I am.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Last year I brushed my teeth once, maybe twice, a day.

Since the third of January I have been brushing twice a day, flossing and using mouthwash once a day and completely cut out soda from my diet.

Woo!!!!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg