As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trying to install new router has killed my DSL

dublukedubluke Registered User new member
Hi,

I recently purchased a Linksys wrtg54g2 wireless router to replace my zyxel wrtg54g2 combined adsl modem and wireless router.

I tried to install the Linksys to receive Internet as a modem and also transmit wifi signal, but it was not detecting our Internet connection, I then tried to manually set up the Internet connection but it would still not detect it.

I have since found out that the Linksys router I bought does not have a modem function and therefore cannot pick up Internet, only transmit wifi signal from a bridged modem.

I have therefore plugged the zyxel router back in but it is not picking dsl signal any longer.

I have called my isp and they have tested the line to our house. It is working fine up to our house but our router is not receiving dsl signal. I have tried a factory reset and powering down for 2 half hour slots in case the exchange was confused by the attempted router change, but this has not helped.

The router worked fine and we received dsl signal before I tried to install the Linksys router so I am confused as to what is going on. Can anyone help?

• dublukedubluke Registered User new member
    Sorry this was supposed to be in moes technology tavern - please can a mod relocate?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Try a new phone cable from the wall to your DSL modem? Really if the thing isn't working then they should send a tech to your house.