As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Early Access - The philosophy of and knee-jerk reactions to it.

2»

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Early access is basically a pre-order where you get to tinker with whatever state the game is in at the time.

I think that's a perfectly acceptable system that comes with all the ups and downs of pre-ordering with the added benefit of giving you insight into the games development and something to toy around with. but:

a) I feel alot of games are doing early access just because 'it's the thing to do' or 'it'll drum up interest' Steam has a ridiculous number of games with the tag, hundreds of which are miles away from completion. I'd prefer if the games which are just 'oh hey we have one workable level and a gun' not be allowed on Steam. It just feels kind of tacky. At that point you're not really providing a solid example of what your game is and expecting people to pay money for it seems just kinda rude.

b) Early access should not be used as a shield. I see alot of people defend early access games purely under 'well it'll get better' and it annoys me. Obviously as development continues things will change but people are for the most part buying the early access game to play it now at least in some capacity (like I brought into Magicka Wizard Wars mostly to support it but also because I wanted to play around). This attitude of dismissing criticism of the projects current standing doesn't help anyone get a clear picture of what they're buying.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Heffling wrote: »
    2) I'm literally paying someone so that I can beta test their game for them.

No, you aren't. You are paying the same price, and getting the full retail game plus earlier access to a dev build as well.

I don't know how to make it any clearer than this - you aren't buying the dev build, you're buying the full version early before it's finished, and getting access to the dev build for nothing while you wait. If you buy the early access and then literally never even install it, you are getting the same experience as if you'd waited for the full release. If you buy early access and play it, even for only half an hour, you are getting strictly more for your money than otherwise you would.

And that's without even getting into the whole deal where early access games are often cheaper than the eventual full retail price. What does Minecraft cost these days, 20 bucks? I paid five.

The question here is whether you would have paid full retail price for the finished game anyway, and if the answer is yes, you're coming out strictly ahead everytime by buying the early access.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    The quality of Early Access is going to vary, and shouldn't have an influence on the overall idea behind Early Access.

At the end of the day, it's as simple as a product/service being offered at a price and the consumer chooses to pay into it or not. It's no different than any other choice a consumer has in his/her daily life. Knowing the dangers of Early Access - in the sense that you won't get a 'complete' game - is simply part of the decision to part with your money or not.

I see it as no different than buying a retail game, the factors all remain the same.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Plat0nicPlat0nic Registered User regular
    How about Early Access to Camelot Unchained?? I know kickstarter gave out accounts and I realllly want to play it. PM me if anyone can help.