As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - Fleshtown

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited January 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    These Rust comics are just killing me.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Zenitram wrote: »
    These Rust comics are just killing me.

Killing the other players too.

• Options
    OolongOolong Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure I actually want to know this, but: are all of the avatars in this game automatically male?

• Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure I actually want to know this either but: can you eat people?

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular

Asking for a friend

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Oolong wrote: »
    I'm not even sure I actually want to know this, but: are all of the avatars in this game automatically nude?

As long as we're asking Rust questions we're not sure we want answers to.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    MKR wrote: »

Asking for a friend

We shouldn't talk about this here.

Come back to my hut with me...

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Classic Gabe! They must really be digging Rust to give it back to back strips.
    Hevach wrote: »
    I'm not even sure I actually want to know this, but: are all of the avatars in this game automatically nude?

As long as we're asking Rust questions we're not sure we want answers to.

I haven't played the game, but I'm pretty sure everyone starts nude. Only, other players will appear to have pants unless you enter the console command Tycho mentioned yesterday. I kind of agree with him that you should enter that command. I'd hate to waste my time murdering a guy only to find out his pants were a lie.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Bravo. Best comic in a long time.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Or use their body parts?

I'm imagining Gabe's house to be richly furnished with scalps.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Or use their body parts?

I'm imagining Gabe's house to be richly furnished with scalps. dongs

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Back-to-back Rust strips? Happy day!

For people who haven't played the game, what's great about this is that when you build a home and place a door on it, you are the only one who can open that door, from inside or out. So if you can manage to lure someone back into your home and close the door behind them, they are essentially trapped in your home like a prisoner. If the door is made of wood and they have a hatchet or pickaxe, they might be able to hack their way out after about 10 minutes of chopping away at it. If you made the door out of metal though, the only ways they can get out are to either suicide or blow the door/wall with C4. If you can get someone in there who has spent a reasonable time gathering resources and crafting stuff and doesn't want to lose it all, but hasn't found any C4 yet, then neither of those are really options for them, so they are stuck in your house for good until they starve to death.

What this leads to is people acting out really weird role plays of trapping people inside and torturing them slowly, Buffalo Bill style, or keeping them as pets or any other number of creepy fantasies. By simply killing them, Gabe is actually probably doing them a favor, but I like to imagine the Rust version of Gabe has a bit of fun with them before that.

Of course, not everyone is dumb enough to be lured in like that, but where it gets really interesting is when you do things like build a house around someone else's house, so they can never get out (or back in, depending on where their sleeping bag is placed). The freedom you're allowed on where and how to build structures leads to some absolutely crazy stuff that happens in this game, and it is glorious.

I hope they'll continue the trend on Friday and just officially make this Rust week.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    More Rust strips forever please.

• Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »

For people who haven't played the game, what's great about this is that when you build a home and place a door on it, you are the only one who can open that door, from inside or out. So if you can manage to lure someone back into your home and close the door behind them, they are essentially trapped in your home like a prisoner. If the door is made of wood and they have a hatchet or pickaxe, they might be able to hack their way out after about 10 minutes of chopping away at it. If you made the door out of metal though, the only ways they can get out are to either suicide or blow the door/wall with C4. If you can get someone in there who has spent a reasonable time gathering resources and crafting stuff and doesn't want to lose it all, but hasn't found any C4 yet, then neither of those are really options for them, so they are stuck in your house for good until they starve to death.

What this leads to is people acting out really weird role plays of trapping people inside and torturing them slowly, Buffalo Bill style, or keeping them as pets or any other number of creepy fantasies. By simply killing them, Gabe is actually probably doing them a favor, but I like to imagine the Rust version of Gabe has a bit of fun with them before that.

Of course, not everyone is dumb enough to be lured in like that, but where it gets really interesting is when you do things like build a house around someone else's house, so they can never get out (or back in, depending on where their sleeping bag is placed). The freedom you're allowed on where and how to build structures leads to some absolutely crazy stuff that happens in this game, and it is glorious.

I hope they'll continue the trend on Friday and just officially make this Rust week.
    That sounds interesting. But I bet the resource gathering is boring and random, haven;t actually played games like this, except for DayZ, which I played for about an hour and it was really awful.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Redthirst wrote: »

That sounds interesting. But I bet the resource gathering is boring and random, haven;t actually played games like this, except for DayZ, which I played for about an hour and it was really awful.

The resource gathering itself is both boring and random, and if that's all there was to it it would not make for a fun game. The three main things you have to gather/hunt are wood, rocks, and food, all of which are randomly scattered throughout the map. I can get into the details of how these mechanics work, but I doubt too many people care about that here.

That said, what does make resource gathering more interesting is the fact that you're doing it in competition with all of these other players, and there are a limited number of resources on any given map. If you come across a rock and no one else is around, you chip away at it and gather stones and ore, all the time looking around hoping no one else will club you while you're distracted. Or you can find a spot where there are several resources available, go hide in the cliffs nearby and wait for someone else to come along and begin gathering them, and then pop them with an arrow and take everything they have already gathered.

This means that every time you go out to gather more resources, it becomes a heart-pounding race to see how much you can gather before coming across someone else who wants to murder you. You see another rock in the distance. Do you make a run for that rock, or cut your losses and high tail it back to your shelter? Someone else makes it there first, but he didn't see you skulking about. Perhaps you try to befriend him and share resources, or maybe take a chance at killing him, knowing he could just as easily kill you first.

In short, the act of gathering resources itself is boring. What makes it fun is all of the social interaction that goes along with it. And when I say "fun", I mean that you will rage hard in this game the first time you collect 500 wood only to have some new spawn hit you over the head with a rock and steal everything from you.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    In retrospect, I kinda wish this had ended with the same panel as Monday's comic.

edit: Tried it out-- not as funny as hoped:
    pa_rockcrusher.jpg

Nijhazer on
  • Options
    tgbennett30tgbennett30 Registered User regular
    I am probably way behind the curve on this, having never played the game - but wouldn't cooperation between a couple buddies make for some really interesting dynamics? Yeah, random strangers will kill each other at the drop of a hat, but say three guys work together, one gathers resources while the other 2 stand guard, etc. - does that *never* happen? Or perhaps can it *not* happen (e.g., like in Dark Souls, how it was made intentionally difficult, at least at first, to co-op with your friends, and most online interactions (positive or otherwise) were total strangers?

• Options
    I am probably way behind the curve on this, having never played the game - but wouldn't cooperation between a couple buddies make for some really interesting dynamics? Yeah, random strangers will kill each other at the drop of a hat, but say three guys work together, one gathers resources while the other 2 stand guard, etc. - does that *never* happen? Or perhaps can it *not* happen (e.g., like in Dark Souls, how it was made intentionally difficult, at least at first, to co-op with your friends, and most online interactions (positive or otherwise) were total strangers?

As a matter of fact, yes, and this is often exactly what happens. There is actually a lot of incentive for people to work together and build up a group, because that then makes it much easier to gather resources and raid others. Many servers have become essentially wars between different factions trying to control parts of the map, each with their own huge base they've built up.

The hard part is finding people you trust enough to join up with. There are plenty of those who will claim to be friendly, only to lure you into a sense of complacency so they can kill you and take all of your stuff. Much like Gabe in today's comic.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    thepuregamerthepuregamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    In retrospect, I kinda wish this had ended with the same panel as Monday's comic.

pa_rockcrusher.jpg

Don't sell yourself short. This is actually pretty awesome. In this context, Gabe takes his pants off after he lures him home and goes for the kill. Why's he doing that? :o

thepuregamer on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

pa_rockcrusher.jpg

Don't sell yourself short. This is actually pretty awesome. In this context, Gabe takes his pants off after he lures him home and goes for the kill. Why's he doing that? :o

Well, even the sort of person who would follow a half naked man back to his house on the promise of chicken would think twice if that person's pants were covered in brains.

• Options
    Rust sounds like the PvP areas of Runescape made into a game.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Of course, not everyone is dumb enough to be lured in like that, but where it gets really interesting is when you do things like build a house around someone else's house, so they can never get out (or back in, depending on where their sleeping bag is placed).
    Fixed. (Context.)

• Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    I saw what you were doing there immediately, @Commander Zoom, and I appreciate it.

• Options
    CantelopeCantelope Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure I actually want to know this, but: are all of the avatars in this game automatically male?

I skimmed this topic and it didn't look like anyone answered. Currently yes, all characters are male. Eventually there will be an option to be female. All characters start out nude, and with genitals that you can clearly see. Like, if you walk up to another nude character you can clearly see man-parts. The pants are an item you have to craft. I believe there is some kind of censorship option to not see other players genitals.

I look forward to being able to see uncensored ladyparts.

Also, teeming up is good but so is killing random people. I'll kill anyone I see near my base when I play because I don't want it to get raided (which it always is unless you play with a big group of people or play long enough and get a really well developed base that cannot be easily raided).

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The idea of a game largely based on smashing naked people's heads in with rocks adding female character models fills me with a deep sense of dread.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    The idea of a game largely based on smashing naked people's heads in with rocks adding female character models fills me with a deep sense of dread.

They can murder too. Equal chopportunity

• Options
    OgreSmasherOgreSmasher Registered User regular
    What about trans-gender models?"
    "Don't go, it's a trap!"

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    What about trans-gender models?"
    "Don't go, it's a trap!"
    s9EhJrR.jpg

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014

Especially with the way the housing system works in trapping other players inside your house.

There is a fox news story just waiting to bounce out into the general public with that.

Edit: Did anyone read the news post? The description of what happened to some guy who charged them from the woods when they pulled a pistol on him was utterly hilarious.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

Easily solved though, just make everyone's default starting model have visually distinct animal skins, that way you know someone has nothing worth murdering them over.

Unless murder is your thing.

Or you're Gabe.

Also a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4OND1zz7VI

Falx on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Re: Tycho's newspost.
    One of the more illuminating experiences was finding a pistol in one of these boxes, and watching the waveforms it gave off careen around the space.

You must understand; after spawning and being pulped or shot through at range or shaken down for medkits and then killed, that nine millimeter pistol was like finding Excalibur. If somebody runs at you from the woods, and they value their time differently from a normal person and will chase you indefinitely, that’s it for you. They’ve essentially taken all the time you spent getting to that point, which we may rightly call Incremental Murder. There should be a legal framework that metes out punishment for this. But if you have a gun - however you came to acquire it - you might as well be fucking Saruman. You don’t even need bullets. All you have to do is have the gun out, and wherever you point it, things are altered. Somebody ran at us from the woods with a rock out, and we enunciated our position with supreme clarity vis a vis our pistola. They took off their pants, set them on the ground, and ran away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3JMYEKvm8Q

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

yeahhhhhhh....

still disturbs me when it's men tbh

these comics are inducing a slight chuckle, but it's the kind of laugh you give while your eyes are screaming

• Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular

pa_rockcrusher.jpg

Judging by the latest podcast, it's to make way for the massive erection that he gets while brutally murdering another human being.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Cantelope wrote: »

I skimmed this topic and it didn't look like anyone answered. Currently yes, all characters are male. Eventually there will be an option to be female. All characters start out nude, and with genitals that you can clearly see. Like, if you walk up to another nude character you can clearly see man-parts. The pants are an item you have to craft. I believe there is some kind of censorship option to not see other players genitals.

Also, teeming up is good but so is killing random people. I'll kill anyone I see near my base when I play because I don't want it to get raided (which it always is unless you play with a big group of people or play long enough and get a really well developed base that cannot be easily raided).

I haven't played the game yet.

After reading through all these posts that apparently make this game some sort of murderhouse simulator, I read this post and could swear I heard "Wild Horses" playing in the background.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Cantelope wrote: »

I haven't played the game yet.

After reading through all these posts that apparently make this game some sort of murderhouse simulator, I read this post and could swear I heard "Wild Horses" playing in the background.

actually it's "Goodbye Horses" by Q Lazarus that Buffalo Bill danced to while tucking.

• Options
    likalarukulikalaruku Registered User regular
    My first laugh today. Had I read this with all the laughs I had yesterday, my head would have exploded.

• Options
    exup35exup35 Registered User regular
    something on Gabes blog made me revisit this and yes, in the 3rd panel - its Timmy from Fairly Odd Parents