As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Naruto! Narutimate Hero 4: Accel!

george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
NarutoGamakichi.jpg
gaara.jpg

WHOOO!!!! Naruto fans have something more than the slow-moving anime to excite them now!
I am a HUGE fan of Narutimate Hero 3 - I thought the gameplay was awesome, they got the characters down perfectly, and it was insane amounts of fun with a few people.

Narutimate Accel focuses on the new series: Naruto Shippuuden (think Dragon Ball --> DBZ).

Also a fan of the Gekitou Ninja Taisen games, but I can't play the new one on my Wii :x

The game arrived TODAY for me - I'm just itching to fly out of my office and get home to play this.

Trailer:
edit: I guess embedding youtube doesn't work?
link

From Wiki:

Confirmed Shippūden characters

* Naruto Uzumaki
* Sakura Haruno
* Kakashi Hatake
* Shikamaru Nara
* Rock Lee
* Neji Hyuga
* Tenten
* Might Guy
* Gaara
* Kankuro
* Temari
* Itachi Uchiha
* Kisame Hoshigaki
* Deidara
* Sasori (in Hiruko)
* Chiyo

Returning Narutimate Hero characters

Narutimate Accel also contains a special "Hero Mode," featuring characters and battles from the first half of Naruto. Thirty-six characters from Naruto: Narutimate Hero 3 have been confirmed. These characters will also be able to fight against the new Shippūden characters.

* Naruto Uzumaki
* Sakura Haruno
* Sasuke Uchiha
* Shino Aburame
* Hinata Hyuuga
* Kiba Inuzuka
* Neji Hyuuga
* Rock Lee
* Tenten
* Shikamaru Nara
* Ino Yamanaka
* Chouji Akimichi
* Gaara
* Kankurou
* Temari
* Tsunade
* Jiraiya
* Orochimaru
* Tayuya
* Sakon/Ukon
* Kidomaru
* Jirobo
* Kimimaro Kaguya
* Kabuto Yakushi
* Zabuza Momochi
* Haku
* Anko Mitarashi
* Kurenai Yuhi
* Asuma Sarutobi
* Konohamaru
* Hanabi Hyuga
* Shizune
* First Hokage
* Second Hokage
* Third Hokage
* Yellow Flash (Fourth Hokage)

52 characters!!

In addition to elements established in previous Narutimate games, Narutimate Accel offers several new twists to combat:

* Clash of High-speed Attacks - When two opponents clash, they will begin a series of high-speed attacks, appearing as a pair of blurs dueling across the stage. During this sequence, the players play a simple game of Rock-Paper-Scissors, which will determine the winner of the clash.

* Force of Jutsu Collision - When two jutsus of similair strength collide, it will be possible to push back and overpower the opponent's technique by repeatedly pressing the circle button.

* Awakening Ougis - When certain conditions are met, a character may trigger an Awakening Ougi. These techniques are more powerful than the standard Ougis, and as the name implies, 'awakens' a character's powers (ie. Naruto's Tailed Kyuubi form with super over powering red chakra).

Who's excited for this game??

roster.gif
george-x on

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What system is it on and when does it come out in the US?

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    PS2, I don't know

LewieP on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was going to make a topic about this, but then I remember I suck at OP. Props George.

And I so want to get this, but I'm running low on cash, so I'll have to wait. Probably best, since I heard the RPG mode this time around is pretty complex.
    Quick question..from the brief gameplay videos it looks like they went back to each character having 3 Ouigis available to them during fighting. That true?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I was going to make a topic about this, but then I remember I suck at OP. Props George.

And I so want to get this, but I'm running low on cash, so I'll have to wait. Probably best, since I heard the RPG mode this time around is pretty complex.
    Quick question..from the brief gameplay videos it looks like they went back to each character having 3 Ouigis available to them during fighting. That true?

From what I understand, that's true - very excited for that.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    KNYTEKNYTE Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think I'm the only person in the world that doesn't "get" Naruto. I like other Anime just fine, just not Naruto.

KNYTE on
    The best defense is a good offense.

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms, history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall"
    - Adolf Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938.
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It wont ever come out here. Even the one that have come out here have been altered because the US dosen't want spoilers or some stupid shit like that in the games.

Hell they had Ubisoft make a whole new Naruto game for Wii cause they are so far behind Japan in episodes.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So, as someone who's familiar with playing import titles on his Gamecube via the Freeloader (specifically the Gekito Ninja Taisen games), is there a similarly simple solution for someone with a slim PS2 to play this game?

The trailer looks really rockin', and my friends and I have been looking for a new game since we played the ever loving crap out of GNT4.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ronen wrote: »
    So, as someone who's familiar with playing import titles on his Gamecube via the Freeloader (specifically the Gekito Ninja Taisen games), is there a similarly simple solution for someone with a slim PS2 to play this game?

The trailer looks really rockin', and my friends and I have been looking for a new game since we played the ever loving crap out of GNT4.

Definitely - and it's actually REALLY easy.

Get the SlimKit Pro and Swap Magic disk combo. Shouldnt run you more than 20-30 - presto!

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    george-x wrote: »
    Ronen wrote: »

Definitely - and it's actually REALLY easy.

Get the SlimKit Pro and Swap Magic disk combo. Shouldnt run you more than 20-30 - presto!

Sa-weet.

Early birthday present, here I come.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i...really actually want this game.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll buy it if you can do the Spiraling Shuriken.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »
    I'll buy it if you can do the Spiraling Shuriken.

Nah...too early. :-\

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It wont ever come out here. Even the one that have come out here have been altered because the US dosen't want spoilers or some stupid shit like that in the games.

Hell they had Ubisoft make a whole new Naruto game for Wii cause they are so far behind Japan in episodes.

Seriously, can the US just not air the like 80 filler eps... with few exceptions, they suck and have no character development. And I dispise what they have done to some of the translated games to prevent 'spoilers'.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    must play!

I missed the first 3 NH titles, but after playing the monstrous disaster that is "Naruto: Ultimate Ninja" I may have to go get a slim kit of my own >_>

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Seriously, can the US just not air the like 80 filler eps... with few exceptions, they suck and have no character development.

That would be SEX.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    that frog is totally smoking a bowl

AHH! on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Seriously, can the US just not air the like 80 filler eps... with few exceptions, they suck and have no character development.

That would be SEX.

That would mean they would catch up with the Japanese. That would mean they would make less money.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Eh, if you're referring to Video game money then not really..considering the Gamecube is dead and the ps2 is almost out. They're almost starting fresh with the Wii game. I don't think it will affect game sales much.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Eh, if you're referring to Video game money then not really..considering the Gamecube is dead and the ps2 is almost out. They're almost starting fresh with the Wii game. I don't think it will affect game sales much.

I think he means anime related monies... sorta tangent, the only manga based anime that I've ever seen that has had good filler eps that weren't in the manga is Bleach. Anyone else know of another series where this is true?

In any case, I hope we do get this Wii game, spoilers be damned.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

I think he means anime related monies... sorta tangent, the only manga based anime that I've ever seen that has had good filler eps that weren't in the manga is Bleach. Anyone else know of another series where this is true?

One Piece had the G8 arc which was pretty damn good but I don't know if it makes up for the horrid Arabasta filler. Slayers also had some awesome filler. Specifically the tennis match and the song Zelgadis had to read to them. However I'm not sure if the Slayers anime was based on a comic because there's like 8 different versions of it out there and I had no idea where to start looking.

I think they might skip the filler, or at least a chunk of it, because the anime JUST finished the Chuunin exam and they've still got at least another year before they even get close to finishing the "Rescue Sasuke who doesn't even want to be fucking rescued" arc and Shippuden will get a decent ways in during that time. Naruto also doesn't air every week on Toonami because they like to show movies that sometimes preempt it.

As for this game, is it wrong I mostly want it just to see time-skip Neji get some action? Seriously Kishimoto, stop getting off to Sasuke and pals and give us some goddamn action with Neji, Shino, and Hinata.

Gilder on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    KNYTE wrote: »
    I think I'm the only person in the world that doesn't "get" Naruto. I like other Anime just fine, just not Naruto.

Well, for me it wasn't about the anime (which is mediocre at best), and especially not about the horrid dub. I just found it to be an immensely good manga series.

It's not particularly deep or anything, but it's got a lot of really likable characters, great art, decent narrative, and really interesting action.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    One Piece had the G8 arc which was pretty damn good but I don't know if it makes up for the horrid Arabasta filler.
    I didn't think the filler during the Arabasta arc was that bad. And I really liked the character-specific ones episodes after that arc. One Piece has really good filler overall.

Anyway, on topic, I'm not really a big fan of the Narutimate series. I got tired of 3 really quick. I wanna play the new Ninja Taisen game. :(

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

One Piece had the G8 arc which was pretty damn good but I don't know if it makes up for the horrid Arabasta filler. Slayers also had some awesome filler. Specifically the tennis match and the song Zelgadis had to read to them. However I'm not sure if the Slayers anime was based on a comic because there's like 8 different versions of it out there and I had no idea where to start looking.

I think they might skip the filler, or at least a chunk of it, because the anime JUST finished the Chuunin exam and they've still got at least another year before they even get close to finishing the "Rescue Sasuke who doesn't even want to be fucking rescued" arc and Shippuden will get a decent ways in during that time. Naruto also doesn't air every week on Toonami because they like to show movies that sometimes preempt it.

As for this game, is it wrong I mostly want it just to see time-skip Neji get some action? Seriously Kishimoto, stop getting off to Sasuke and pals and give us some goddamn action with Neji, Shino, and Hinata.

Seeing more of those 3 would be nice post time skip, although I'd like more Lee and Guy as well. The male version of sexy no jitsu in a recent issue was fucking disturbing however.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    AHH! wrote: »
    that frog is totally smoking a bowl

samokii ganja no jutsu

unrelated to the toking frog, i started watching shippuuden and its pretty damn awesome. i hope to god they keep the filler out.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I can't find any info on this

lame. when's the jap release date?

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    shipping in one wek

edit: referal link btw.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    If anyone is not sure about purchasing this game, or is looking for a cheaper alternative, Narutimate Hero 3 is 27 bucks right now in play-asia. It's an awesome game, and I bought it at 70, and didn't regret it.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh, this reminds me, have we heard anything more about that boxing game on the Wii we saw those screen shots of a few months back. I'm really interested in that.

Kelor on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Slayers also had some awesome filler. Specifically the tennis match and the song Zelgadis had to read to them. However I'm not sure if the Slayers anime was based on a comic because there's like 8 different versions of it out there and I had no idea where to start looking.
    The Slayers anime was based on a light novel series of the same name. While there was filler material to make the first two series last 26 episodes each, I'm pretty sure it was faithful to the novels up to a point (the third anime series was completely original material, while the last batch of novels went in a completely different direction).

As to the filler material, I see it going one of two ways: on one hand, it's a lot of episodes, and CN wouldn't want to miss out on airing that many episodes and missing out on any cash it could provide. On the other hand, airing so many episodes with no siginificant progress or development might be detrimental to the show and make viewers stop tuning in. Then again, those in Japan didn't seem to mind very much, and they knew where the manga was at the time.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »
    Slayers also had some awesome filler. Specifically the tennis match and the song Zelgadis had to read to them. However I'm not sure if the Slayers anime was based on a comic because there's like 8 different versions of it out there and I had no idea where to start looking.
    The Slayers anime was based on a light novel series of the same name. While there was filler material to make the first two series last 26 episodes each, I'm pretty sure it was faithful to the novels up to a point (the third anime series was completely original material, while the last batch of novels went in a completely different direction).

As to the filler material, I see it going one of two ways: on one hand, it's a lot of episodes, and CN wouldn't want to miss out on airing that many episodes and missing out on any cash it could provide. On the other hand, airing so many episodes with no siginificant progress or development might be detrimental to the show and make viewers stop tuning in. Then again, those in Japan didn't seem to mind very much, and they knew where the manga was at the time.

That's what I was wondering about. I mean, US audiences could be fickle, would viewership drop if CN did air the fillers? I'm pretty sure they will air them, specially since it's just more dvd's they call sell later on.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd just like to take this opportunity to say that Shippuden is so damn awful. Worst anime pacing I have ever seen.

Zek on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »

That's what I was wondering about. I mean, US audiences could be fickle, would viewership drop if CN did air the fillers? I'm pretty sure they will air them, specially since it's just more dvd's they call sell later on.

Actually Naruto lost a helluva lot of viewers in Japan as the fillers went on.

It's one thing to have a couple episodes now and there be filler but seriously. The Naruto fillers went on for like a year and a half. A year and a half of boring pointless episodes with throw away characters and stories.

You would be kidding yourself if you thought that american audiences wouldn't get bored of the fillers if they showed them all. Hell we already have seen the US reactions to the fillers through places like narutofan. The reaction isn't gonna be any different.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    I'd just like to take this opportunity to say that Shippuden is so damn awful. Worst anime pacing I have ever seen.

Naruto as a whole has horrible pacing. You gotta watch like 20 episodes to find anything out.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Naruto as a whole has horrible pacing. You gotta watch like 20 episodes to find anything out.

Well you gotta step back and look at it for what it is. It's a super popular manga series that is all about selling weekly jump mags.

The chapters are all about building up the next episode and making you want to see whats coming next.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Having played the game about 4 hours, I think I've seen enough to post initial impressions.

Before anything else: This game is excellent. It builds on Narutimate Hero 3, while adding more strategy, techniques, and characters. The game starts you out with about 90% of the total characters, which is crazy (and good for early adopters).

The Bad News:
    When seeing early footage of the game, I was worried they wouldn't add too much to the roster - I was half* right. The game only has 3 new characters.

Deidara
    Deidaraanime.jpg

Scorpion Puppet Sasori
    Hiruko.jpg

Granny Chiyo
    Chiyo.jpg

On top of them , there are 3 other unlockables: Itachi, Kisame, and the Yellow Flash (4th Hokage). One thing I'm pissed about - They don't have Sasori in his true form. The game apparently ends right before the conclusion of the "Rescue Gaara" arc. I do-not-understand. There is also no Shippuuden Sasuke, which only kind of makes sense since nobody knows what he can do yet.

The Awesome News:
    The game plays like a dream. It's even more fluid and combo friendly than the old game, taking out of lot of frames of invincibility and making the Kawarimi (replacement/log) a bit harder to do.

About 11 other characters, aside from the above, have older Shippuuden counterparts. These characters (Naruto, Gaara, Gai, Sakura, Lee, etc) are completely revamped from the ground up. All their moves are new, they have different combos, and their Super Moves (Ougi) are totally recreated.

*One awesome thing the developers did was to revamp a lot of the OLD characters too! They added a lot of new or altered Super Moves to pre-time-skip characters, keeping them interesting and slightly offsetting the lack of new faces.

Probably the most recognizable difference is the new Super Move system. Instead of having one predetermined Ougi (triangle), each character has about 3! The Chakra meter is now broken up into thirds, each division representing another Super. The first third is always lit in the beginning of the match, representing your primary Ougi. To activate the second, you must hold the <UP> direction and your character will do a little charge/transform animation. Naruto will have red kyuubi, Gaara will float up on a sand cloud, Gai/Lee will release a gate, etc. Now you can activate Triangle and use your secondary (if/usually applicable to character) Ougi.

Some characters automatically reach their secondary Ougi by doing crazy combos. For example - If Neji hits you with a 30 hit combo, he will automatically have Byakugan activated.

The only way to reach your third Ougi is if your Health Meter is in the Yellow (i think that's ~30%). If you have a full chakra meter, your most powerful move is ready for you. It adds a lot of ebb and flow to the matches by limiting your "ultimate" move as a desperate measure. I like it.

Basically, I will never put Narutimate Hero 3 in my Playstation ever again.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

No man, Naruto's pacing was pretty bad before, and they generally maintained a pace of about 2 manga chapters per episode. Now it's down to 1 chapter or less on average. They seriously pretty much play entire episodes in slow-motion now. It's funny because they played filler arcs for two years in order to not catch up with the manga, but at the pace they're going now they could have gotten by without doing any.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well, you could say there's more than 3 new people because all the new aged kids play pretty damn different I would think. I know they do in the new Wii Naruto.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well, you could say there's more than 3 new people because all the new aged kids play pretty damn different I would think. I know they do in the new Wii Naruto.

That's exactly what I wrote, though:

About 11 other characters, aside from the above, have older Shippuuden counterparts. These characters (Naruto, Gaara, Gai, Sakura, Lee, etc) are completely revamped from the ground up. All their moves are new, they have different combos, and their Super Moves (Ougi) are totally recreated.

*One awesome thing the developers did was to revamp a lot of the OLD characters too! They added a lot of new or altered Super Moves to pre-time-skip characters, keeping them interesting and slightly offsetting the lack of new faces.

Is the Wii Naruto any good? I haven't really heard anything about it...

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007

That's exactly what I wrote, though:

my fault, I thought your first sentence was saying... bah, whatever my fault.

Who is this old lady? I don't read the mangas and watch the show off and on.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    She's like the old sage of the Sand Village - Sasori's grandmother. Actually a pretty hardcore character believe it or not, haha.

Here's a compilation Ougi video someone made

george-x on
    roster.gif